Thread: Best Kazak Thing After Anything That Is Good And Kazak

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Default Best Kazak Thing After Anything That Is Good And Kazak

Oh well here we go again, ladies and barbarians, I'd like to introduce you Ulytau:

This band that I know for only an hour impressed the heck out of me. And darn, yes, their violinist Nurgaisha Sadvakasova has quite an effect on my impression.

The band call themselves being a Kazakh Ethnic Rock Project. Their public lineup consists of Nurgaisha Sadvaskova (violin), Maxim Kichigin (solo guitar) and Erjan Alimbetov (dombra). But behind scenes, through their recordings and concerts, of course this lineup has to be completed by Roman Adonin (keyboards), Evgeny Sizov (bass guitar) and Igor Djavad-Zade (drums).

Audio - Video section has full 3 mp3s of their album ready to download. Leave Sadvaskova aside (I know it will be hard but..), they definitely have a promising sound. For those who are bored of listening to Nordic ethnic music mixed with rock and metal elements, here is a vitamin pill for you. They even recorded Turkish March in their album

For final words, let's take Sadvaskova back from where I had left aside:

Default Re: Best Kazak Thing After Anything That Is Good And Kazak

Wow LEN. Excellent find. Ulytau plays some very good stuff!

Adia and Jumyr-Kylysh are great tunes. I loved them. The guitars, drums and violin just rocked together. Toccata and Fugue was a mixed bag. A good part of it was brilliant but there were sections that didn't seem to lend themselves well to rock guitars and violins.

I did a quick search and was unable to find their CD. I only found Adia on a compilation called The Rough Guide to the Music of Central Asia. Everything else was MP3 downloads...and I have only slightly given in to buying tracks individually via MP3s.

Anyway, I hope this group gets the attention they deserve and puts out some more music (so I can get my hands on it).
    This space intentionally left blank

Thanks, Gregoshi. One friend told that they had performed during TRT's (Turkish state channel) Nevruz (welcoming of spring) program. Actually that's how I looked up for them.

I see they are very new with going international since their website is not complete, and most stuff you can get by googling them is Russian. I'll keep a close eye in case their album reaches here before anywhere more western.

Rock just fits in ethnic music like a glove. In Turkey we have a genre called Anadolu (=Anatolian) Rock, mostly performed by the generation of 80's and a bit before. Mogollar (=Mongolians) is the leading band of all, who were quite famous by the time. Through the last 2-3 years, rock scene has gone public and very active here and this gives the hope that bands will dig in and revive Anadolu Rock genre.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Hey this is pretty good, never heard of them before, Turkish? I suspect them a bit of sexing up simple melody's with lots of bang, but it's at least something different. I cannot shake the thought that I am listening to movie-music, like it wants to describe a scene.

Viceroy of the Indian Empire Member Duke Malcolm's Avatar
    Dùn Dèagh, the People's Republic of Scotland, the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland.

When I saw the title of the thread I thought this might have been about Borat's new movie...
    It was not theirs to reason why,
    It was not theirs to make reply,
    It was theirs but to do or die.
    -The Charge of the Light Brigade - Alfred, Lord Tennyson

"Wherever this stone shall lie, the King of the Scots shall rule"
    -Prophecy of the Stone of Destiny

"For God, For King and country, For loved ones home and Empire, For the sacred cause of justice, and The freedom of the world, They buried him among the kings because he, Had done good toward God and toward his house."
    -Inscription on the Tomb of the Unknown Warrior

Custom User Title Member zukenft's Avatar

Nice find! The good music comes from unexpected places, it seems

Their costumes are kind of...cool

EDIT : Staccatto & Fugue is AWESOME!
    Last edited by zukenft; 08-01-2006 at 09:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Malcolm
    When I saw the title of the thread I thought this might have been about Borat's new movie...
    Yeah, the thought crossed my mind too.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

Quote Originally Posted by Justiciar
    Yeah, the thought crossed my mind too.
    Shall Ulytau's music cross your minds, caress your ears.

It already has. Granted last night I was a wee bit too tired to care less. But hey, I apparently bookmarked their website, so I must have been impressed.
    When Adam delved and Eve span, Who was then the gentleman? From the beginning all men by nature were created alike, and our bondage or servitude came in by the unjust oppression of naughty men. For if God would have had any bondsmen from the beginning, he would have appointed who should be bound, and who free. And therefore I exhort you to consider that now the time is come, appointed to us by God, in which ye may (if ye will) cast off the yoke of bondage, and recover liberty. - John Ball

I have been able to get a CD of their album from a friend. And, well, "Ulytau or Bust!" I say. I like the band even more. No the CD inlay does not have nude pics of Sadvaskova.. "Turkish March" is the reprise of Mozart's piece.

Get it, get it, GET IT !!!

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

LEN's always on the cutting edge of new music.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Quote Originally Posted by Vladimir
    LEN's always on the cutting edge of new music.
    I'm flattered

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

I sent that link with the cute Dutch singer to a friend of mine (the metal symphonic band), he loved it and I totally agree.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Oh well, you're talking about Epica. They have visited IStanbul few days ago -which I unfortunately couldn't see due to work. And well Epica and Ulytau in the same fest would be very pleasant.