Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526

Thread: Mafia III: Return of the Mafia [Concluded]

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Default Re: Mafia III: Return of the Mafia

I usually survive for quite a long time, even managed to stay alive in the previous game.

Oh and yes, GH, you got me at first with that fake write up.

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 09-05-2006 at 21:40.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    I usually survive for quite a long time, even survived in the previous game.

Oh and yes, GH, you got me at first with that fake write up.

Me too. I was about to go on a huge "I told you so!" rant until I read the next one.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian
    Can someone explain the Chinese characters from earlier in the game? They eventually changed to Guandao, but previously (before GH changed them) they were Heji and Jeijian (au revoir), alluding to Hiji and arrivederci.
    In my kill it was supposed to be "die" on the mirror, tha weapon and au revoir. GH messed them up as his computer doesn't support chinese characters.

Kommodus, I never even suspected you. Gert, I suspected you for a while but by the time you were executed I had decided you were most likely innocent. You two did an awesome job! It was an honor to play under your double-threat!

And Kommodus, I think its a good idea taking a break from Mafia after playing so well. Always remember its just a game, but I'm sure it does affect one to be so intentionally evil for any length of time, even in the context of a game.

Anyway, here's me giving a one-man standing ovation for the mafia! You guys did great!

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Just a quick response to some of the points in GH's commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    One last note: I realized that Kommodus was already outsmarting his spreadsheet by voting for a non-bandwagon candidate.
    Correct. Also, bandwagoning is suspicious; I didn't do it in game 2 either, when I was innocent.

The truth is, the votes cast are just data; there are multiple ways to slice and dice it. If I had been a villager in this game, I'd have found a new way to analyze the data, rather than using the same tired old methods I used last time.

This marked the beginning of two recurring themes: Kommodus starting his master plan and Gert killing somebody with an ancient, exotic weapon.
    I wasn't actually starting a master plan at this point. It wasn't until later that I decided to turn my kills into a continuous story, thinking "Hm, what am I going to do with all that money..."

At this point in the game I was waiting for Rabbit’s name to come up on the kill list.
    You know, I originally planned to kill him instead of Sasaki Kojiro. After that, he somehow fell off my radar screen for some reason. Man, what an ironic twist of fate.

So after a little bit of divine intervention, I called a re-vote. It might have been a little unfair to the mafia but really, it was the only thing to do.
    I know.

Personally Kommodus, there was so much vote-changing in that round I don’t think your enemy as Gert’s enemy was damaged
    You know, you're probably right. My real worry was not that I couldn't use Gert's execution as an alibi, but that the people who had supported his execution all along without wavering would look innocent. Somehow I didn't realize that EMFM and Crazed Rabbit were the only ones who had done this. Lemur had changed his vote twice, and Wonderland had done so only to save his own life.

At this point, I think a terrible indecision came over Kommodus that ultimately doomed him. He had voted for Gert, but switched it, but switched back to Gert, making it appear to me that he was going with the “Gert’s a mafioso, I went against him” approach. But then looking at his kills he decided not to go with that approach, making it seem to me that he wasn’t sure how to finish up. K, you played it great all the way through but I think if you were a bit more decisive at the end you would have won.
    This is the exact truth (see my commentary for my take on it). However, this is what's so hard about the game for the mafia - you can play a great game most of the way through, but a mistake at the end can cost you everything.

If I had voted with my first post after the execution, at least Crazed Rabbit wouldn't have had any ammunition to use against me. You're right, I didn't quite know how to end it, and it was this indecisiveness that doomed me.

Even when AggonyDuck posted a pretty good reason for getting him, it still seemed hopeless for the villagers, until K voted for good ol’ Lemur. That meant that Lemur, facing execution, really had no choice but to vote for Kommodus. That left it 2-2, with the fate of the game in the hands of Evil_Maniac_From_Mars.
    With both AggonyDuck and Crazed Rabbit accusing me at this point, I couldn't see any other way to play things. My major mistake had already been made. I figured there was still a small chance EMFM might vote for Lemur, who used to be higher on his suspect list.

For a little while I considered going back and trying to use Gertgregoor's execution for support, but people who defend themselves with too much vigour have a tendency to get lynched. Therefore I left the final result to chance. Perhaps I should've tried a little harder.

Great joke at the end, BTW - pretending it was Lemur! Also, thanks for writing an end to my failed plot. I still wish I'd had the chance to write its successful conclusion. Ah, the best-laid plans of mice and men...

Well guys, I hope you enjoy Silver's game! You probably won't see me involved in Mafia anymore until I host one of my own. Then I'll be back where I belong... as the narrator!
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

My game wouldn't be the same without you Kommodus.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

For me it wasn't Kommodus voteswapping that raised my suspicions. At that point the game was so confusing that I don't think anyone paid much notice to it. For me the suspicion to vote for Kommodus arose from desperation and the total lack of suspects. At that point I just went with my instincts.
    Friendship, Fun & Honour!

"The Prussian army always attacks."
    -Frederick the Great

very fun game GHC! this game shall continue on forever as Oerg traditions!

also i really look forward to your game Silver!

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Default Re: Mafia III: Return of the Mafia (finished)

WooT!

Everyone on my list died!

Those who didn't, you were pardoned!

Fun game, I had a blast!

Great stuff everyone, good job. Pretty cool, I was the first kill in the first Mafia game, skipped the second, and now am a proud survivor of the third. Musta' been Reenk's pardon .

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, judging by our cozy new confines it looks like I can start Mafia IV earlier than planned.

Look for it in about a week
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

NOOOOOOOOOO!
    Bloody hell. So far in the last two mafia games, there were two mafia left with three rounds to go in both games and each time the villagers still managed to pull out victories! I really was pulling for the mafia, I love being evil. Gert, you really should have recruited me instead of killing me... I do forgive you though.

How do you make your spread sheets, Kommodus?

Also, I was executed because I was away for a day. That was silly of me, I couldn't defened myself.

Also, I'm quite pleased at being "suspicious enough to be investigated first.

Great game guys!
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 09-06-2006 at 03:33.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Quote Originally Posted by Cowhead418
    NOOOOOOOOOO!
    Bloody hell. So far in the last two mafia games, there were two mafia left with three rounds to go in both games and each time the villagers still managed to pull out victories! I really was pulling for the mafia, I love being evil.
    Sorry Cowhead, it was I who failed you. Gertgregoor inflicted the wound, but the order came from me. It was a lapse in judgement, as were my final blunders that led to the mafia's demise.

Quote Originally Posted by B_Ray
    And Kommodus, I think its a good idea taking a break from Mafia after playing so well. Always remember its just a game, but I'm sure it does affect one to be so intentionally evil for any length of time, even in the context of a game.
    Very true, my friend, very true. Acting intentionally evil, even in a pretend context, seems to have a strange and rather unwelcome effect on the soul. This effect is, of course, minimal, as long as the game isn't taken too seriously. However, the longer the game lasts, the harder it is to completely avoid. I'm just glad I'm not on "Survivor."

This isn't a knock on games such as Mafia and others in which the goal is to deceive. I actually enjoy such games. It's just that I feel something strange even when playing the party-game version of Mafia, which lasts only a few minutes. That effect is greater when the game is played over a matter of weeks.

Still, I had great fun. Once again, thanks to the General for the game, and for starting something that appears to have staying power!
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

Quote Originally Posted by Ignoramus
    How do you make your spread sheets, Kommodus?
    If you PM me your e-mail address, I'll send you a copy.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

At least I survived longer than last time.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Weird Organism Senior Member Drisos's Avatar

Well, can the spartan now explain us why he 'confessed'? It made the job for his fellow villagers only harder. a weird action!
    - Chu - Gi - Makoto - Rei - Jin - Yu - Meiyo -

YIPPEE! MORE GH MAFIA!!!

WOOOOOOOOT!!!

If I am a villager, I promise I will use more logic when accusing people.

I won't interrupt my own game for this, and seeing as I am posting something else here anyway (so it wouldn't be spamming) how is everyone liking my Godfather mafia game?
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

good, for now.Tough it's absolotuly not as fun as when you're a mafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Drisos
    Well, can the spartan now explain us why he 'confessed'? It made the job for his fellow villagers only harder. a weird action!
    i already did.
    go ask some living villagers here.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Drisos, does might help :

Quote Originally Posted by The Spartan
    ok, id like to announce that im am not part of the Mafia. it was quite obvious after a long time.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read:
    i lied so that perhaps the people who proclaim im not a mafiosi; were in fact a mafiosi.
    I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 162223242526