Thread: Age of Warlords 2: Total War

Boondock Saint Senior Member The Blind King of Bohemia's Avatar

Default Age of Warlords 2: Total War

I am currently in the latter stages of developing a mod for the original Medieval Total War called Age of Warlords, which encompasses the period from 1154-1550. For a look at the premise of the original mod please see the 'Age of Warlords' thread in the Engineers Guild.

I'm happy with what I have done with the Medieval version in terms of factions, units and other things so really everything research wise is already in place, and with Medieval 2's (hopefully) expanded capabilities I'm really looking for a big upgraded version, which builds on my concepts rather than radically overhaul them.

I am very happy with CA's work on the game so far so like with my Medieval mods I plan to leave a good deal of what they've already done in the game (units, graphics, etc) and basically add to that rather than subtract.

The map will be the same as the one I have designed for Medieval but given the ability to add more provinces it will stretch further West to the Pacific and much further South to the entire West coast of Africa and Peru and Brazil in South America. This is dependent however on the game allowing more factions that 21 (I am hoping for 30), otherwise I will stick with the original map I did for the Age of Warlords 1.

For those of you unfamiliar with the original mod it begins with the accession of the Angevin king Henry II in 1154 and when Barbarossa ruled over the Holy Roman Empire. This campaign is called 'Angevin Ascendancy' and will feature the following factions:

English
    French
    Holy Roman Empire
    Danish
    Brittany
    Norwegians
    Aragonese
    County of Hainaut
    County of Toulouse
    Pisans
    Genoese
    Papal States
    Castilian-Leonese
    Scots
    Gwynedd
    Deheubarth
    Connaught
    Ui Neills of Ulster
    Kingdom of the Isles
    Dorset Eskimo
    Algonquin Tribes

Now IF I can add more factions (lets say 30, so 9 more) and thus have the bigger map the following will be added:

Portuguese
    Almohads
    Aztecs
    Incas
    Mayans
    West African faction (TBD)
    Norse Atlantic Colonies
    Florida-based Indian faction (TBD)
    West Coast-based Indian faction (TBD)

The second period is called 'Trial by Fire and Battle' and begins in 1337 at the advent of the Hundred Years War. The factions will include:

English
    French
    Holy Roman Empire
    Danish
    Norwegians
    Navarresse
    Aragonese
    Castilian-Leonese
    Papal States
    Genoese
    Milanese
    Swiss
    Burgundians
    Flemish
    Brittany
    Scots
    Lord of the Isles
    Ui Neills of Ulster
    Earls of Desmond
    Inuit Eskimo
    Algonquin Tribes

And the possibilities:

Portuguese
    Almohads
    Western African faction (TBD)
    Aztecs
    Mayans
    Incas
    Florida-based Indian faction (TBD)
    West Coast-based Indian faction (TBD)
    Placeholder, possibly the Tlaxacans.

There will also be a final period starting during the Wars of the Roses, maybe 1460, and will be called 'The Dawn of a New World'. The faction list is yet undecided but I'll post it soon.

I took a break during Rome but Medieval is my period and rather than doing another Super Mod I think this is infinitely more interesting and more unique. Its a lot of work however so I'm hoping to create a team to work on it. What I really need are:

Campaign map maker (I know how to add provinces but unless making maps is radically different to Rome I'm gonna need someone kind enough to get the groundwork done)

Modellers/Skinners (Like goldust I know, but desperately needed. I plan to use a lot of CA's ones but I'd like to add a good few more and the Celtic, Norse, Indian and African factions will need a lot of work, nearly all new rosters)

Animator (Maybe, depends on how many CA do and if that is sufficient enough)

Faction Symbols/Heraldry (There appears to be a lot more work here, what with many heraldric devices now used in battle so a skilled symbol maker is essential)

Battle Map Maker (I'm not sure if any work will need to be done on the maps yet, though its likely places like Iceland, Greenland, the Western Isles, Western Africa and the Americas may need some, but new factions like the North American Indians will definitely need some entirely new architecture for example)

Unit Cards/Info Cards maker

Scriptor

I think that's it for the time being. I don't want a huge team otherwise we'll all be stepping on each other's toes - I really just need about 5-7 people I think. Research wise I'm pretty sound on especially in terms of the British Isles but if anyone wants to chime in on the Northern American and African factions, and maybe also the Welsh especially I'd appreciate it.

Thank you.
    Last edited by The Blind King of Bohemia; 09-03-2006 at 18:13.

Default Re: Age of Warlords 2: Total War

I can't believe no-one has replied to this yet.

BKB is a well known and respected modder, I thought there'd be more interest to work with the guy.

Sounds interesting mate, I hope you get the support you need to kickstart things.
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

Member Member william the bastard's Avatar

We all know that , but wait the first medieval community come back.
    BKB is one of our famous modders, so please don't be impatient;time for glory is BACK
    BuT please, let him finish Age of warlords first.
    Sorry for my French

Hey BKB; did you notice this posted on the official MTW2 site;

The campaign map is divided by a large number of factions including the English and French in Europe, the Egyptians and Moors in Africa, the Aztecs and Mayans in the New World. They'll be 21 factions in total, 17 of which are fully playable in the campaign game.

This could put a quash on your 30 factions plan.

Quote Originally Posted by william the bastard
    BKB is one of our famous modders, so please don't be impatient;time for glory is BACK
    Mate, I know that, I know BKB personally.
    Last edited by Duke Dick; 09-04-2006 at 12:07.
    "You know me, Marge. I like my beer cold, my TV loud, and my homosexuals fa-laming!" -Homer

Well yeah we knew there were 21 factions in the game, hence my back-up plans mentioned in the first post. However, if like VI we can once again add factions, getting up to 30, then the full vision can be realized.

good luck Mr. BKB!
    sounds very interesting.
    always wanted to use Barbarossa in campaign.

let us hope Soulflames modding questions get answered by CAoz swiftly. :)

Quote Originally Posted by The Blind King of Bohemia
    Well yeah we knew there were 21 factions in the game, hence my back-up plans mentioned in the first post. However, if like VI we can once again add factions, getting up to 30, then the full vision can be realized.
    I believe that in RTW-Alex they managed to make 1 barbarian faction with loads of little sub factions, don't have the game myself so noway I can check it, but you might be able to do this with MTW2

Grand Master Member Afonso I of Portugal's Avatar
    Lisboa, Portugal http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ Afonso_I_of_Portugal

BKB, if you need any help with iberian, African/North African faction feel free to ask. Good luck with your mod!!!
    "Let the ruling classes tremble at a Communist revolution. The proletarians have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win. Workers of the world, Unite!" - Manifesto of the Communist Party, Karl Marx & Friedrich Engels, 1848.
    "What does not kill us makes us stronger" - Friedrich Nietzsche.
    "Lord, protect me from people who love and trust, because I take care of my enemies" - Voltaire.
    "I can not agree with any of the words you say but defend to the death your right to say them" - Voltaire.
    "The main illnesses that attack the man comes from ignorance" - Voltaire.

That would be great mate. You have a PM.

And the question is: WHY DID YOU FORGET ABOUT POLAND?!?!?!?!

Have you even bothered reading into the mods time frame and focus area before commenting?

aah.
    it'll be only about conquest of new world and west european history. Sorry, my mistake...

Hey BKB i love your mod for MTW-my favorite mod. If you can do the same with MT2W will be great. I can help with some Bulgarian units if you can add Bulgaria and Volga Bulgaria.Some of the names and units are wrong.And we need more provinces in Balkans. Is it posible to modify the map so the ships can go into rivers? In last Crusade they go to Nicopolis with ships by Dunave river.
    I can do some 3D models.

btw rebels take a faction slot
    Imperator de Basileia Ton Romaion-A "The long road" M2tw AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...41#post1657841
    Click here if you want to know what a freshly shaven **** looks like.

Quote Originally Posted by playboytaxi
    Hey BKB i love your mod for MTW-my favorite mod. If you can do the same with MT2W will be great. I can help with some Bulgarian units if you can add Bulgaria and Volga Bulgaria.Some of the names and units are wrong.And we need more provinces in Balkans. Is it posible to modify the map so the ships can go into rivers? In last Crusade they go to Nicopolis with ships by Dunave river.
    I can do some 3D models.
    Sorry mate, Bulgaria aren't in this, it only focuses on the Western world.

Witch Smeller Persuivant Member Fate's Avatar

Hey there BKB, looks like a great concept for a mod. Id love to give you a hand with research but im busy at the moment, though this mod really has grabbed my interest, and ill be looking forward to it in a few months, if theres any low key stuff you need me to do then, ill do my best to throw my lot in!

BTW, the Boondock Saints owns!! I have the Veritas - Aequitas tattoos!
    Quote Originally Posted by Slug For A Butt
    Hmm... if the AI was programmed to emulate the most stupid Generals in history, that would explain a lot.

"Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say "Ni" at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land! Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress at this point in time."

Thanks for the kind words mate, any help is appreciated. I've been busy myself at the minute but come the end of January I think I'll be ready to start work on the mod.

BKB, I'm looking to get as much experience as possible working with maps for mods, so count me in, even as a back up guy!