Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mini-Mafia [Concluded]

Default Re: Mini-Mafia (Day 1)

Quote Originally Posted by Dutch_guy
    I have absolutely nothing to go on, and you know it. In the other games it was always something at least...

I have exactly the same problem.Anyway we are going to kill an innocent person becouse there is no murder yet there are only couple Mafiosos planning a murder. This whole first round is just shooting at the Dark.One way would be like Drisos suggested vote in a circle so everybody gets a one vote so no one gets executed.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Senior member Senior Member Dutch_guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha
    This whole first round is just shooting at the Dark.One way would be like Drisos suggested vote in a circle so everybody gets a one vote so no one gets executed.
    I think that ultimately that would suite the mafia better, although there is absolutely no way of knowing that

I'm an athiest. I get offended everytime I see a cold, empty room. - MRD

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Well, if we all voted for someone different, then the game wouldn't progress, would it? So the mafia would be stopped! Until Sasaki threatened us in some manner, I suppose, to move the game along.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

In a top-secret lab planning world domination

Hm, I just did a quick simulation to determine whether or not it is in the villagers' interest to lynch someone before the first mafia strike.

The results are clear: it is not in their interest to do so. The villagers have a significantly better chance of winning if they wait until after the mafia have killed their first victim. Lynching someone prematurely will only hurt their chances.

Of course, the mafia still probably have an advantage, depending on whether a cop and/or doctor is present.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

I'm not sure what math you used but it is clearly in the towns interest. If you don't lynch then tomorrow there will be 2 mafia and 4 townies. If you lynch a townie (2/3 chance) you will lose the game. If you lynch someone today and it's a townie you have a better chance at a mafia tomorrow (6/15 vs 5/15) plus you have the 2/7 chance from today.

Nevertheless, if you wish you may Vote:No Lynch. If we get 4 no lynch votes then no one will be lynched this round. But imo the better strategy is to bandwagon someone and see how they defend themselves etc.

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Default Re: Mini-Mafia (sign ups, 5 spots left)

EDIT: Sasaki beat me to it.

Sasaki's answer seems to be best here, so my vote stands.
    Last edited by Silver Rusher; 09-08-2006 at 18:12.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

zombologist Senior Member doc_bean's Avatar

wanders into thread

Your chances of lynching at least 1 mafia member in the first 2 days are 4/7 if you lynch someone today and only 1/3 tomorrow. I doubt the extra surviver can ever make up for that difference, what kind of simulation did you do Kommodus ?
    Yes, Iraq is peaceful. Go to sleep now. - Adrian II

Blog Entries

Well, it seems that it is in our best interest to lynch someone, even if they aren't mafia.

However, that still leaves me with the prospect of picking from a bunch of people with barely anything to go on. So I must go with what little I have.

And the little I have points toward Silver Rusher. Not for his random vote for Drisos, but what appears to be his desire to not really discuss our votes, and just vote randomly. This is the crux of it; wanting to not talk about your vote. Doing this gives us nothing to hunt the mafia with. I also agree with GH's points earlier in this thread, on why his vote for Drisos looks like he wants a quick lynching.

From Sasaki's first post:
    The idea is to promote discussion, lots of discussion.
    Vote: Silver Rusher

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Jeez, what can I now do in this situation? (trying to) Defend(ing) myself will obviously lead to a bigger case against me.

As this is the case, I will say one thing and then shut up until either I'm lynched or people realise I'm not guilty. If you lynch me, you will regret it.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Hm... I've just revisited my simulation, and realized that my initial results depend on how the end of the game is handled.

Suppose the game progresses like this: the mafia strike first, and the villagers execute an innocent. Then the mafia kill another, and the villagers execute a mafioso. After the mafia kill one more player, there would be two left - a mafioso and a villager - prior to the final voting round.

My simulation basically assumed a "ghost vote" in this event, resulting in an execution of one of the players at random. If this is not how the situation is handled, and the final mafioso is allowed to kill both players at the end, then the results of the sim would be reversed, and the villagers would want to execute someone first.

(For the record, my simulation is a small computer program that runs thousands of simulated games and calculates what percentage each side wins.)

That said, promoting discussion is always a good thing, regardless of the statistics.
    If you define cowardice as running away at the first sign of danger, screaming and tripping and begging for mercy, then yes, Mr. Brave man, I guess I'm a coward. -Jack Handey

2nd Vote Count

Drisos 1 (Silver Rusher)
    Silver Rusher 2 (General Hankerchief, Crazed Rabbit)
    GeneralHankerchief 1 (Drisos)
    Dutch_Guy 1 (Kagemusha)

not voting ( Sigurd,Dutch_Guy)

Kommodus, perhaps where you went wrong is in having the mafia kill first then the villagers lynch. It's the other way around.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Kommodus, perhaps where you went wrong is in having the mafia kill first then the villagers lynch. It's the other way around.
    I realize that. I was trying to calculate whether or not the villagers actually want to lynch anyone this round.

If they do, they'll have a 2/7 chance of getting it right. Next round they'll have either a 2/5 or a 1/5 chance of getting it right, depending on whether they get it right the first round. Then, if a mafioso survives, they'll have one more chance at 1/3 odds.

If they don't lynch anyone this round, their first execution will have a probability of 2/6 of being right. Their second execution will have odds of either 2/4 or 1/4 of being right. The question is, do they get a third chance after the mafia's third kill, in the event that there remains one villager and one mafioso? If they do, they have a 1/2 chance of getting him. If not, then that means the mafioso was allowed to kill off two victims in the final round.

Ah see, they can't have 2/4 chance. If there's two mafia and two villagers left a mafioso will never be lynched because they just won't vote for eachother. So if there are equal numbers of mafia and town then the mafia wins.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro
    Ah see, they can't have 2/4 chance. If there's two mafia and two villagers left a mafioso will never be lynched because they just won't vote for eachother. So if there are equal numbers of mafia and town then the mafia wins.
    Ah... hm... so I take it a tie vote means no execution?

In that case, by all means, execute someone this turn.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

This is a hard one…

My gut feeling says GH is mafia.
    Sasaki might have given this role to GH as a thank you or for old time’s sake. That is if random assignment is not followed. It has not been mentioned as far as I see in any of Sasaki’s games.
    Also I think GH reacted quite fast to Silver’s post. Possibly too fast.
    Vote: Generalhankerchief

Dutch_Guy has the deciding vote
    Status Emeritus

Hmm this is hard, with absolutely nothing to go on we're confined to guessing.

This is my best one, Vote:General Hankerchief

Oh and Sigurd, the roles are chosen randomly.

Last edited by Dutch_guy; 09-10-2006 at 21:36.

3rd Vote Count

Drisos 1 (Silver Rusher)
    GeneralHankerchief 3 (Drisos,Sigurd,Dutch_Guy)
    Dutch_Guy 1 (Kagemusha)

not voting ( nobody )

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

As you all know, since there was an execution first nobody had anything to go on. I believe that Silver Rusher's post was extremely suspicious, so I now had something to go on. Excuse me for posting so fast. Jeez.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 09-10-2006 at 22:28.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Well, if it's all that's needed here I guess I might as well:

Unvote: Drisos
    Vote: GeneralHankerchief
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

That's four votes. GHC is dead. :)

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Out of pure spite for that last post stating the obvious:

Unvote: Silver Rusher
    Vote: Orb
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

4th and final Vote Count

Drisos
    GeneralHankerchief 3 (Drisos,Sigurd,Dutch_Guy, Silver Rusher)
    Dutch_Guy 1 (Kagemusha)
    Crazed Rabbit
    Kagemusha
    Sigurd

General Hankerchief has been executed. He was town.

Pm's please.

I can expect a really nasty execution for SR's game. *phew*

If I were you, I'd be looking at Dutch_Guy. He was awfully quick to bandwagon a useful player.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

Heh, Orb isn't even playing...
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Orb
    I can expect a really nasty execution for SR's game. *phew*
    Oh no, I don't carry grudges over to different games. Anyway, it doesn't matter because Silver asks me for the execution style before the kills are even up.

Anyways, congrats village. You're already a man down.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief
    Anyways, congrats village. You're already a man down.
    Well it's your fault for misguiding us by voting for me in such a suspicious way.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Default Re: Mini-Mafia (Night 1)

During the night, Drisos (town) was killed.

With 5 alive it's 3 to lynch.

Sigurd and Dutch_Guy look suspicious to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Orb
    Sigurd and Dutch_Guy look suspicious to me.
    And why is that Orb ?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mini-Mafia (day 2)

Well, I guess I should post here and not let the game die off.

GeneralHankerchief

SilverRusher
    Dutch_Guy
    Crazed Rabbit
    Drisos
    Kagemusha
    Sigurd Fafsnesfifflebane

It appears voting GHC wasn't a good idea. We still don't have that much to go on, so maybe we should try and do the whole discussion thing again.

Right now I have a couple of suspicious persons in mind, but I want to hear some discussion first so we don't lynch another innocent person.

Crazed Rabbit
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast