Thread: Diplomacy Rules:

Default Diplomacy FAQ

This will help answer some of your questions.

Q. What is the aim of Diplomacy?
    A. The first nation to control 18 supply centres wins.

Q. What are supply centres?
    A. Supply centres are territories that allow you to build an army or a fleet. On the board they are marked with a black circle with a white dot.

More to follow soon.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Default Diplomacy Rules:

I will explain the basic rules of Diplomacy here. However, I very strongly suggest you read the rules online as well.

To begin with, I'll explain using France.

As you can see, France starts out with 6 territories: Picardy, Paris, Brest, Gascony, Burgundy, and Marseilles. 3 of them are supply centres: Paris, Brest, and Marseilles. France starts out with an army in Paris, and army in Marseilles, and a fleet in Brest.

How to move:
    When the game starts, you will send your moves to me by pm.

To move an army from one territory to another, you write it like this A (territory) - (territory). E.g. A Paris - Picardy.

Important: Each territory can only hold one army or fleet at a time. NO exceptions.

To move a fleet you do exactly the same thing. E.g. F Brest - English Channel.

I am horrible at explaining, so it is probably more beneficial for you to read the rules for yourself.

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/res.../2000AH4th.pdf

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Default Re: Diplomacy Rules:

"Diplomacy Rules" and "Diplomacey FAQ" merged.

I played Diplomacy last night with a group of my friends and a debate came up about whether or not it was plausible for fleets to conquer or occupy new (coastal) provinces, since we couldn't find it in the rules where it says it could or could not be done. Does anyone who plays the game regularly have an opinion, or know of a place I might have overlooked in the rulebook?

Headless Senior Member Pannonian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoreBag
    I played Diplomacy last night with a group of my friends and a debate came up about whether or not it was plausible for fleets to conquer or occupy new (coastal) provinces, since we couldn't find it in the rules where it says it could or could not be done. Does anyone who plays the game regularly have an opinion, or know of a place I might have overlooked in the rulebook?
    Fleets can influence sea and coastal regions. This includes moving into, occupying, convoying from and supporting coastal regions. You may notice that all fleets start in coastal regions, thus giving an answer to your question. Fleets are only barred from regions with no sea access.

Indeed, but this in regard to 'invading' previously unclaimed territory, rather than merely keeping a fleet docked at home for defence or what have you.

Indeed, but this in regard to 'invading' previously unclaimed territory, rather than merely keeping a fleet docked at home for defence or what have you.
    Coastal regions, whatever their ownership, are the equivalent of sea regions for fleets. In Dip, ownership only matters for SC counts and building units.

I don't think you understand my inquiry.

I don't think you understand my inquiry.
    If a fleet can move into a territory, it doesn't matter who owned it. The only way of stopping a fleet from moving into a seabound region is to physically occupy it, or bounce it with another unit in an adjoining region. (Lack of) ownership is irrelevant.

Was this what you meant?

No, it was regarding whether a 'fleet' moving into a coastal territory changes the ownership of the province and can therefore be used to strike surgically at undefended provinces to count for SC and possibly victory, without an 'army' unit involved.

No, it was regarding whether a 'fleet' moving into a coastal territory changes the ownership of the province and can therefore be used to strike surgically at undefended provinces to count for SC and possibly victory, without an 'army' unit involved.
    Occupying a supply centre in the autumn changes ownership, whether it is done with an army or a fleet. If you move in during spring but move away in the autumn, ownership does not change, whether you use an army or a fleet. Ownership of non-SC regions does not matter and is not kept track of.