Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112

Thread: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Default Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Yes, modded. My own mod. I only meddled with the Early text and the unit files.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Hello everyone, Im having a problem playing the campaign (On MTW Viking invasion) and could really use some much needed help.

Here are my specs: Windows 7 64-bit OS 4 GB ATI Radeon 5900 Series, 12 GB Ram, 3.33 GHz Processor

When I start a new campaign, I cannot see any units or cities or any other objects on the campaign map. In addition I cannot see the cursor and when I go to the main menu or the options screen, its seems to blink and turn black. I can play a quick battle pretty well except for the black flashes.

I can play Rome Total War perfectly, but Medieval and Shogun seem to have this problem on them. Any suggestions?

I have been trying to fix my CTD problem for days, and finally came across this.

When I first installed Viking Invasion, I was getting all manner of error messages. So, I downloaded another Viking Invasion off the same disk. It worked fine, no error messages. But when I click on the icon, the credits dont even start. When the screen with the copyright information appears, the window exits out and nothing happens.

HELP HELP HELP

Apologies for late replies, I missed these somehow.
    Quote Originally Posted by edyzmedieval View Post
    Yes, modded. My own mod. I only meddled with the Early text and the unit files.
    That's probably your answer though. Test vanilla and see if that fails at the same spot. You can test the 1204/1205 transition by modding the early period start date. i.e. change it to 1203 end hit end turn a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by padishahmusab View Post
    When I start a new campaign, I cannot see any units or cities or any other objects on the campaign map. In addition I cannot see the cursor and when I go to the main menu or the options screen, its seems to blink and turn black. I can play a quick battle pretty well except for the black flashes.
    This is an entirely new problem for me. Set your desktop colour depth to 16 bit and try again. Does that remove the black flashes only?

Quote Originally Posted by Purpledoggies View Post
    I have been trying to fix my CTD problem for days, and finally came across this.

When I first installed Viking Invasion, I was getting all manner of error messages. So, I downloaded another Viking Invasion off the same disk. It worked fine, no error messages. But when I click on the icon, the credits dont even start. When the screen with the copyright information appears, the window exits out and nothing happens.

HELP HELP HELP
    You need to post some system specs. Also create the blank text file "skipcredits.txt" and place in the Medieval_TW.exe working directory and see if that gets you any further.

Thanks for the reply, after trying what you recommended this is what I found:

[IMG][/IMG]

I can now see castles, units, and other objects on the campaign map, but when I move the cursor around, the screen quickly floods with the same image. Any other suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post

You need to post some system specs. Also create the blank text file "skipcredits.txt" and place in the Medieval_TW.exe working directory and see if that gets you any further.

1. Which one is the working directory?
    2.What are specs?

Quote Originally Posted by padishahmusab View Post
    Thanks for the reply, after trying what you recommended this is what I found
    That's some kind of DirectDraw acceleration problem. If you have Aero enabled, disable it and try again. Also try running the game in Windowx XP compatibility mode. Other than that I can't be of much help sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by Purpledoggies View Post
    1. Which one is the working directory?
    2.What are specs?
    1) MTW's working directory is the directory where Medieval_TW.exe can be found.

2) System "specifications".

Quote Originally Posted by Asai Nagamasa View Post

1) MTW's working directory is the directory where Medieval_TW.exe can be found.

2) System "specifications".

1. Is that the file called medieval total war on "My Computer"?
    2. where can I find those?

So I'm having a CTD problem on the campaign, I browsed through a lot of this thread and haven't found anything like it.

So as I start a campaign the game runs fine, but as a game gets longer it starts to crash more and more often. It happens in a couple specific instances:

When I save a game and hit resume once it loads
    When I click on a specific province (For instance, one game every time I clicked on Cordoba it crashed)
    When about to start a battle between two large armies

I'm running M:TW with the Vikings Invasion expansion, and I believe it has the most recent patch. I've messed around with ingame video and performance options, and still have crashes.

Here are some of my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 1545
    Pentium Dual-Core CPU 2.00GHz
    4.00 GB RAM
    Windows 7 (64 Bit)
    Graphics: Mobile Intel 45 Express Chipset Family (Latest Drivers)

Oddly enough, I have the same problem with crashes beginning once I have played a game for awhile in all of the TW games I've played, Shogun, Medieval and Rome.

This should be your solution to the CTDs: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...=1#post1921448

Working perfectly for hours now, thank so much!

Hey Guys Im new to this forum and i need help to play MTW

It always CTD whenever i go into campaign, i choose the time period, the difficulty settings, my faction but when it loads the bar fills all the way it CTD's all the time. i have tried to fix the problem by re-installing the game (i know a bit stupid).

Here are my specs:

System: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 3

Computer: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 duo CPU Ep8500 @ 3.16GHz 3.17 Ghz, 3.25 GB of Ram

Display Adapters: NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT

I really want to play this game, i used to play it in 2006/07 and i just re-discoverd i had the game (i got this computer around one and a half years ago) i have not updated my drivers at all since i got the computer.

Any Help is gladly appreciated if you need any more specs / other stuff just let me know.

Hi I have tried the resolution changes, button fixes, running in compatibility mode, etc... and my MTW Gold will not work on my computer. It goes through intro video fine to main menu fine, even does battles fine, only when i try to use campaign map after selecting country does it go to load menu and say an error has occured and must close. my specs are as follows:

Dell Inspiron Notebook AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60 2.00 GHz
    3.00 GB 32-bit operating system
    Windows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 1

ATI Radeon X1270

P.S. Im not very good with computers so thats all the relevant info I could find, if you need more specifics please PM. Hope you can help! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey solembum did u find a solution yet? i have the exact same problem and videocard

Re: Medieval Total War CTDs and Solutions

Below is the post I was referring to.

I remember playing this game in my friends' computer when I was 15 years old or so but I had to move away, but last month when I visited his house I saw his Copy of the game and I managed to Beg it off him(what can I do, I really wanted to finish the game) . now I got the game installed and I can play the battle tutorial, quick battle and historical battle but I cant play the campaign. I have the same problems as a lot of the other guys in this topic, every time I try to play the campaign it loads then it returns to menu with the bottom of the screen flashing and when I click anything the game crashes. does anyone of you know the fix to this problem? I really love this game and I want to at least finish it before I try MTW2. would really appreciate it if anyone can help me :).

here are my PC specs.

Motherboard: ASUS P5KPL-AM/PS
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93 GHz
    VGA: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (Intel GMA3100) integrated is what is written in the motherboard box and Intel G33/G31 Express chipset family is is the one I get if I check the property of MyComputer. (I do know that it is 128 MB)
    RAM: 3GB
    Has anybody found a solution to this? Any suggestion will be appreciated..

I've recently bought Medieval 2: Total War from Steam online. Whenever I hit 'play', the screen goes black and the infamous 'unspecified error' comes up. I've browsed for solutions for several hours. I've even tried deleting the 'data\descr_geography_new.text' files after unpacking, which didn't do anything.

I recently upgraded my video card from a GeForce 5200 to a Radeon HD 3650 running XP. Could this be this issue? I've also tried switching to 16bit display, with the same result. Any advice would be greatly appreciated since I would be out $10!

Senior Member Senior Member Forward Observer's Avatar

Getting the game to run on Vista or Win7 with NVidia cards of series 200 and up.

Just thought I would add this link to this thread. I have a fairly new PC running Vista 64 bit on an I7 940 CPU with a GTX560Ti GPU. I have both the original disks for Medieval and the Viking Expansion, but I also had the Total War: Era version which has both the original game and Viking Expansion on one disk . I used this to install the game since it contained all the patches.

I also set my graphics card to force 2x AA in the game since I knew this generally was a prevention fix for CTD's. The game fired up just fine, but I could not make any changes to the campaign or battle map resolutions. They were fixed at 800 x 600 for the campaign and 640 x 480 for battle. The latter was just too painful to look at for a battle.

Then I ran across this post by "Just Learnin" at the Total war forum. However, I also found it posted here, but only in the Shougun help forum, so I thought I would cross link it for people wanting to play Medieval.

https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...hlight=Learnin

Anyway, this fixed all the resolution issues and now Medieval seems to work just fine at the highest resolution posssible 1600 x 1200. I'm going to try Shogun next when I get some time.

Hope this helps some.
    Last edited by Forward Observer; 05-15-2011 at 19:21.
    Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

This fix was posted in the Main Hall here, but it probably does need a spot here in the Apothecary.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Hi I'm new and having problems loading the campaign map. When it loads, it immediately sends me to the campaign map options menu (I don't see the campaign map).

and these are my spec.....

window 7 64bit core i5
    6gb ram

graphic card - NVIDIA geforce GT 435M

i've already set the game resolution into 1024 x 768

is there any solution for this? because i miss this game so much..... T_T

btw, thx for support, and be considered, because my english is weak.....
    Last edited by pennyfish; 05-21-2011 at 12:08.

Hi I have a promlem with medieval total war and need som help plz. when i am playing the campaign half way through it. the game will take me to my desktop and say medieval total war has stopped working. i am using windows vista and need help quick plz

Hey guys! I got the same problems... This is my dxdiag:

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional 32-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.111025-1505)
    Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
    System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion
    System Model: RK570AA-ABA m7760n
    BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
    Memory: 2048MB RAM
    Available OS Memory: 2038MB RAM
    Page File: 1739MB used, 2337MB available
    Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
    DX Setup Parameters: Not found
    User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
    DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
    Card name: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    Manufacturer: Intel Corporation
    Chip type: Intel(R) 82945G Express Chipset Family
    DAC type: Internal
    Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2772&SUBSYS_2A50103C&REV_02
    Display Memory: 256 MB
    Dedicated Memory: 0 MB
    Shared Memory: 256 MB
    Current Mode: 1280 x 1024 (32 bit) (60Hz)
    Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
    Monitor Model: SDM-HS73
    Monitor Id: SNY2270
    Native Mode: 1280 x 1024(p) (60.020Hz)
    Output Type: HD15
    Driver Name: igdumd32.dll
    Driver File Version: 8.15.0010.1912 (English)
    Driver Version: 8.15.10.1912
    DDI Version: 9Ex
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.0
    Driver Attributes: Final Retail
    Driver Date/Size: 9/11/2009 16:00:22, 3829760 bytes
    WHQL Logo'd: Yes
    WHQL Date Stamp:
    Device Identifier: {D7B78E66-6432-11CF-F474-5A0AA2C2C535}
    Vendor ID: 0x8086
    Device ID: 0x2772
    SubSys ID: 0x2A50103C
    Revision ID: 0x0002
    Driver Strong Name: oem2.inf:Intel.Mfg:i945G0:8.15.10.1912:pci\ven_8086&dev_2772&subsys_2a50103c
    Rank Of Driver: 00F40001
    Video Accel: ModeMPEG2_A ModeMPEG2_C

BTW... Shogun TW runs just fine but MTW won't!!! hate it... I know that you dont want new post but there is no one else that has the same videocard as me and I'm really a noob with this hardware stuff so I need some urgent help.Thanks in advance!!
    Last edited by critviz; 01-04-2012 at 06:27.

Need help.
    Am operating Windows 7 64Bit.
    When I start Medieval Total War: Gold, I get to the campaign screen, choose my campaign/nation, and then it crashes on the loading screen to desktop, saying "Medieval Total War has stopped working..."

What can I do to to actually get to play?

I kept my old copy of M:TW and just installed it on my newer computer. I can run the campaign mode just fine, but any time I take personal command of a battle (instead of letting the computer automate the outcome), then the next time I hit Esc (so I can save), the game crashes. Anyone know what's going on?

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, i5-2400 processor, NVIDIA GeForce GT 520 graphics.

Been having some weird CTD. It will load just find and you can play the single player campaign but it will randomly CTD.

I have Windows 7 and Intel 4000 graphics card.

I am new on here but, I have been frustrated with MTW Gold version crashing on my laptop. I don't have a very nice graphics card, it is an Intel HD Family card. And So none of the NVIDIA stuff effects me. -Snip- Any solutions?
    Last edited by Xiahou; 03-06-2014 at 00:01. Reason: Remove references that are in violation of forum rules.

Hello all. I've been playing MTW+Viking Invasion for years on my desktop, and it never chrashed.
    Now I've installed it on my notebook, Toshiba Satellite L650 with ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 1366x768. Windows 7 Home.
    The starting movie doesn't work, the video settings are unmodifiable, and when trying to buy buildings the game crashes.
    The strategic map results 800x480 and the battle field results 640x480, both unmodifiable.
    I can open a new campaign, but the windows for buying buildings or units are higher than the screen, I cannot close them and the program crashes anyway.
    I tried even to declare the program as XP SP3 compatible, but nothing changes. What's the matter? Masaniello
    Last edited by Masaniello; 09-11-2014 at 14:48.
    Masaniello (a fiery fishmonger who organized a revolution in Naples in 1647, became a politician with the help of a high priest, and was killed by his people in 1648)

There are quite a few issues with MTW and new machines, but from your PC description we should be able to get you running.

The issue with the video settings probably related to your machine exceeding the games expected memory size, there is a discussion about it here. Sepheus created a DirectDraw wrapper that lets you avoid manually adjusting the mapping, you can find it here.

Also, run the game in either WinXP or Win2000 compatibility mode. I would also suggest that you apply the button patch described here, this tends to help with some CTD issues.

Try these out and let us know how it goes.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

Quote Originally Posted by drone View Post
    ...The issue with the video settings probably related to your machine exceeding the games expected memory size
    What a fast solution!
    Yes, I ran MSCONFIG / BOOT / ADVANCED and changed the maximum amount of memory to be used from "nothing" (4096) to 2560.
    The intro movie doesn't still work, but I could change the video resolution to 1024x768 and start regularly a new campaign.
    It doesn't explain why on my desktop with its 8GB RAM the game works perfectly without any intervention, but it doesn't matter now.
    Many thanks from Masaniello
    Masaniello (a fiery fishmonger who organized a revolution in Naples in 1647, became a politician with the help of a high priest, and was killed by his people in 1648)

Quote Originally Posted by Masaniello View Post
    Yes, I ran MSCONFIG / BOOT / ADVANCED and changed the maximum amount of memory to be used from "nothing" (4096) to 2560.
    The intro movie doesn't still work, but I could change the video resolution to 1024x768 and start regularly a new campaign.
    It doesn't explain why on my desktop with its 8GB RAM the game works perfectly without any intervention, but it doesn't matter now.
    Many thanks from Masaniello
    What OS was your desktop running?

You will probably want to use Sepheus' Direct Draw dll patch instead of the manual change, this way you don't leave your computer gimped for other programs.

I never got my Medieval: Total War to work since I last posted in this thread a few years ago.

However, the game is now available on Steam, and that one works for me without any problems whatsoever! Recommend trying that to whoever still has issues.

Cheers

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 289101112