Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The main thread - Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition

Default Re: The main thread - Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition

Questions about the map:
    Will there be loads of terrain, ie. an enormous map where I have to walk 5 turns to get to the next city, or will there be a more MTW2 scale map, with every city within about 2 turns reach?

Will it be a RTR style map with loads of strong Rebels, or will it be more MTW2 with less strong rebels? imo those strong rebels ruin the game, as you spend loads of time fighting rebels while fighting proper AI is far better imo

Great idea for a mod. But I don't see the importance of some factions (Circassia, Uzbeks, Hugenotes) and those factions slot could be used for some factions in the area of India or Africa

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Something between - in western europe you will have cities close to each other with some strong rebells in Germany or Italy, but eliminated elsewhere.
    In central asia or africa you will have something completely opposite - weak nomadic rebells/bandits and only a small number of large, but badly fortified cities.

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    Something between - in western europe you will have cities close to each other with some strong rebells in Germany or Italy, but eliminated elsewhere.
    In central asia or africa you will have something completely opposite - weak nomadic rebells/bandits and only a small number of large, but badly fortified cities.
    Great, nothing was so annoying about EB and RTR then the 20 rebel settlements between you and the next faction.

Member Member aleksandar macedonian II's Avatar
    Serbia,Sombor city where girls are pretty (Beware of Serbia in 1332)

uuuuuu this mod will be superb.
    I have played P&M for MTW and it is very very good,but cego you must finish P&M for MTWVI 2.0,remember,you promise!
    Last edited by aleksandar macedonian II; 02-18-2007 at 06:23.

This is how generally the map should be looking in the mod.

NOTE the number of provinces will be much smaller, but the map gives you some idea how large is 'the world' of the mod.

this I call a map,it is going to be a privilege to conker it.

Of course the number of provinces will be smaller and some areas ( Asia) will make it almost essential to use all-cavalry armies to conquer them or search for new additions elsewhere...

Orthodox Christian forever! Member phoenix[illusion]'s Avatar

I must say, this is really nice mod.
    Great job.

PROUD LEADER OF TSARDOMS: TOTAL WAR

I'm a bit disapointed about the map although I know it's hard and maybe impossible to make even a bigger map, but there are a lot of very important colonies of for example England and the Netherlands missing. I am aiming of course on the east-indies. That's where for example the Dutch got their money from, so if you want to be historical correct you should add the east-indies to the map. Maybe you can reform the map. So unimportant places like for example dessert are smaller than they actually are etc.

Hi All,

PlasticFigurine and I have modded the musket and cannon smoke for:
    1) Longer Duration
    2) Whiter
    3) Larger

File is available for download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1119

Mod Thread is Here:
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=80471

You are more than welcome to use this mod; just please give credit to us!

Cheers,
    HDD
    M2TW: DarthMOD Beta-Team Leader! Hella Yeah!
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=74580

M2TW: MOD - Increased Musket Smoke: version 1.3A
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1119

When you're Good, you're Good; when you're the Best, you're Irish!

Thumbs up Re: The main thread - Pike and Musket TW - MTW2 edition

Quote Originally Posted by Headlocked
    Hi All,

1) Longer Duration
    2) Whiter
    3) Larger

File is available for download here: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...o=file&id=1119

Mod Thread is Here:

Cheers,
    HDD
    I have try it,very nice

Quote Originally Posted by Headlocked
    Hi All,

1) Longer Duration
    2) Whiter
    3) Larger

Mod Thread is Here:

Cheers,
    HDD

Thanks !

You will get your credits, no worries.

How are you going to handle colonisation?

The system in M2TW is utterly terrible, its just sending an army, taking over a province and then spamming out handgunners. Its not colonisation. I realise in some areas of the America's you will have to have 'conquest' style gameplay (Spanish vs Maya's and Aztecs or whatever)...but this kind of thing didn't happen in North America or Canada.
    I am King of Rome, and above grammar.

when will it be ready?Where is the link if it is ready?And if it isn't ready why?

I think this is a great mod but well....sorry if I seem stupid but I'm really curious about what happened to this mod...where?when?

At least one year before a working beta is ready.

The fact I am not here very often is due to increased research efforts and other duties ( like those with friendly OiM TW).

So worry not - at least we have more freedom with animations now.

@Chuffy

How are you going to handle colonisation?

The system in M2TW is utterly terrible, its just sending an army, taking over a province and then spamming out handgunners. Its not colonisation. I realise in some areas of the America's you will have to have 'conquest' style gameplay (Spanish vs Maya's and Aztecs or whatever)...but this kind of thing didn't happen in North America or Canada.

I am interested in using various resources to define certain territories as 'colonisable'. These will get their simple, but quite interesting techtree - mainly to re-create more rapid growth of population.

Thank you and to people who helped/helps you very very much
    (a little late but)I downloaded the mod for MTW and it was great but with this new engine,I hope it'll be much better

BTW I'd really appreciate if you could give me some links which gives DETAILED info about Ottoman,Polish,Austrian and Russian armies in 16th-17th century
    Again thank you for your efforts on these mods

You will find them in the Monastery - thread about historical resources.

Of course it is hardly complete, but that is a good start.

I personally found the Ottomans hardest to research, but Russia is close behind.

Also you can use the russian thread below as a source (pretty reliable I can bet).

Hi

@cegorach

I've put up a Later Period Musketeer (1625-1675) - meshes and texture files in the downloads area. There's a post with pics and download link at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=199

You're welcome to use it, if it fits in with your overall look for the mod.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan
    Hi

@cegorach

I've put up a Later Period Musketeer (1625-1675) - meshes and texture files in the downloads area. There's a post with pics and download link at http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...&postcount=199

You're welcome to use it, if it fits in with your overall look for the mod.

Cheers

GrumpyOldMan

Thanks ! Your help is much appreciated.

Member Member Jobst_vonGrünungen's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by King of Atlantis
    If the start date is 1572, then the strongest protestant force in germany, with perhaps the exception of Saxony, is the Count Palatinate of the Rhine. The Rhinesh Palitinate was certainly stronger than Brandenburg, which was very much backwoods at the time.

Definitely have to include the Rheinland Palatinate - There wouldn't have been a Thirty Years War without them! It was Frederick V of the Rhineland being elected King of Bohemia (and therefore heir to the Crown of HRE) that sparked off the simmering Catholic v Protestant conflict. And "Pike and Shot" as a military era is almost all about the Thirty Years war and the ECW, which were somewhat inter-related.
    "I am the King of Rome, and therefore above grammar"
    - Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor

ECW was minor conflict between factions of little importance - other conflicts had much more impact on the warfare during the period, ECW didn't.

Palatinate will be added if I find it justified - in June a detailed book about early 30-years war will be published here including the army of Palatinate.
    I doubt there is anything comparable available anywhere (except some books about uniforms which are not of my interest) so before I make a decision I need to wait for that book.

Member Member Jobst_vonGrünungen's Avatar

ECW was minor conflict between factions of little importance - other conflicts had much more impact on the warfare during the period, ECW didn't.

Palatinate will be added if I find it justified - in June a detailed book about early 30-years war will be published here including the army of Palatinate.
    I doubt there is anything comparable available anywhere (except some books about uniforms which are not of my interest) so before I make a decision I need to wait for that book.

I read that you are going to have the Protestant League - Probably having both that and the Rheinland is not necessary. It would be sort of like having Burgundy and France. As long as the Rheinland Palatinate is part of the Protestant League. Unless you are trying to have a lot of detailed factions, of course. You could just make the Ruling Family of the Protestant League be the Rheinland's Ruling Family.

I was actually pretty surprised to see when researching the Rheinland Palatine that a majority of modern day Bavaria was actually under Rheinland control at the start of the Thirty Years War. It was a real power back then, not like today. But, like I said, it is my opinion that if you want to go the route of vanilla M2TW adding them is probably more detailed, whereas if you wanted to be like XL or TR they would be a good idea. As far as basing it off of unique units? I don't think they really had anything to set them apart from the rest of the Protestant league, but then the Protestant League wasnt really that different from the HRE. Most armies were starting to get pretty similar at that point in history. Mostly about Pikes, Guns and Pistoleers.
    "I am the King of Rome, and therefore above grammar"
    - Sigismund, Holy Roman Emperor

Hey!

I'm currently working on Later Period Pikemen (https://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?...0919593kj9.jpg) and I hope it could be an useful addition for your mod :)

Currently I'm skinning it, hence I have a question - did soldiers in XVIIth century wear any uniforms, or did they wear whatever they wanted? Because some color plates depict the pikemen unit as colorful, differently armed band, while other (like ones with swedish army) show soldiers uniformly dressed, all wearing one style helmets and clothes. Do you know how was it in reality?

Also, did every country have some kind of coat of arms, or did soldiers from e.g. Brittain look the same as soldiers frpm Spain or any other Western-style army?

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by =Omni=
    Hey!

I'm currently working on Later Period Pikemen (https://img254.imageshack.us/my.php?...0919593kj9.jpg) and I hope it could be an useful addition for your mod :)

Currently I'm skinning it, hence I have a question - did soldiers in XVIIth century wear any uniforms, or did they wear whatever they wanted? Because some color plates depict the pikemen unit as colorful, differently armed band, while other (like ones with swedish army) show soldiers uniformly dressed, all wearing one style helmets and clothes. Do you know how was it in reality?

Also, did every country have some kind of coat of arms, or did soldiers from e.g. Brittain look the same as soldiers frpm Spain or any other Western-style army?
    It depends on the army, and country. Of the three models you have there, I would say that the one furthest to the right would look mostly spanish, the one in the center could be dutch.

For example, in the spanish tercios, the armour was standardised, so cuirasses or morrion helmets would be worn by all. Other parts of the uniform were mostly irrelevant except for special parts such as Guards. To distinguish themselves in battle, the spanish wore the cross of St Andrew (the red cross on the burgundy flag) sewed somewhere visible on their clothing, usually chest or sleeves.

Officers would wear a band across the chest according to their rank, and sargents usually had a halberd instead of a pike.

If you want a fairly accurate depiction of the spanish army of the period, check out Alatriste a spanish swashbuckler film that came out on DVD recently.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Thanks for the answer :)

I've looked a little deeper into the matter and in my sources (internet - so not very reliable ;) ) I've read that there were no uniforms and soldiers were dressed similarly to civilians - so probably all western piekemen looked similiar

However I've checked on some plates and it seems that they might have used different helmets :D So here's how I see them for my pikemen - https://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?...6425251iv5.jpg

BTW. Does anybody know whether the high boots were used by pikemen, or they rather used the short boots with stockings (or however they're called :P )

PS. I hope Cegorach won't mind me asking these questions here

Nec Pluribus Impar Member SwordsMaster's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the answer :)

I've looked a little deeper into the matter and in my sources (internet - so not very reliable ;) ) I've read that there were no uniforms and soldiers were dressed similarly to civilians - so probably all western piekemen looked similiar

However I've checked on some plates and it seems that they might have used different helmets :D So here's how I see them for my pikemen - https://img329.imageshack.us/my.php?...6425251iv5.jpg

BTW. Does anybody know whether the high boots were used by pikemen, or they rather used the short boots with stockings (or however they're called :P )

PS. I hope Cegorach won't mind me asking these questions here
    Ok, a few comments here too. Sorry if i'm nitpicking.

All western pikemen wouldn't look alike since all western civilians didn't dress alike.

Also, the bright greens and reds you use for the models should be darkened, browned and greyed, since a soldier wouldn't get access to new clothes often, so while the colours would be visible, they wouldn't be as clean and bright.

As of the boots, this seems quite varied. Dutch or Danish, or sometimes german pikemen tend to be represented with shoes and stockings, while spanish, italian or french favoured knee-high or higher boots or shoes with leather leggings coming up to the knee.

As of helmets, Morrions were used in most of europe, and no only Spain, Italy or Sweden, with similar designs emerging locally. Here is a great page for renaissance helmets also.
    Managing perceptions goes hand in hand with managing expectations - Masamune

Pie is merely the power of the state intruding into the private lives of the working class. - Beirut

Quote Originally Posted by SwordsMaster
    Ok, a few comments here too. Sorry if i'm nitpicking.
    Heh, don't worry ;) As a perfectionist myself I prefer nitpicking to no feedback at all ;)

All western pikemen wouldn't look alike since all western civilians didn't dress alike.
    That's interesting. Do you know any good sources where I can find what did people/soldiers wear in particular countires? I'm a newb, when it comes to these matters :P

Also, the bright greens and reds you use for the models should be darkened, browned and greyed, since a soldier wouldn't get access to new clothes often, so while the colours would be visible, they wouldn't be as clean and bright.
    don't worry about that These are just test colors - I'll change them when I'll know how should they look like

As of the boots, this seems quite varied. Dutch or Danish, or sometimes german pikemen tend to be represented with shoes and stockings, while spanish, italian or french favoured knee-high or higher boots or shoes with leather leggings coming up to the knee.
    Thanks for the information :)

Well, this week I'm short on time, so no progress from me, but next week I should show something new

The pikem are quite good already.

The mod will require several types of pikemen/musketeer for sure to cover most basic westernised units present in most factions of the planned game.

I should have the easternmost flank covered by OiM team so more work on western guys would be useful to extreme. Would you consider more permanent arrangement with the PMTW2 ?

Currently the main issue are the models/skins since it is the part where the largest time has to be spent on rather boring work and I persoanlly rather lack the necessary skills to do anything in the area.

I should have the easternmost flank covered by OiM team so more work on western guys would be useful to extreme. Would you consider more permanent arrangement with the PMTW2 ?
    I'd love to However I cannot tell how much time I can put into P&M ( you know - session, exams, then holiday and possibly work abroad ;) ). But I can give it a try

rather boring work
    HAHA For me that's the rather interesting work ;)

I'd love to However I cannot tell how much time I can put into P&M ( you know - session, exams, then holiday and possibly work abroad ;) ). But I can give it a try
    No problem. The project will not be finished in a year, even more anyway.

Would you like to work on a specific faction or a certain type of infantry/cavalry ?

HAHA For me that's the rather interesting work ;)
    Which is very good, I always liked the inside, text part - at least results are visable much quicker.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast