Thread: Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

Me and this guy are having an argument. The guy says Poles/Ukranians etc are Eurasians. i say no but they do have asian genes in them due to all the interbreeding during the Mongolian Empire and prior to that the Hun Invasion. Then another guy says this is not true.

So am I right? If so know any links to back this up?
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default Re: Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

The Slavonic languages are a branch of the Indo-European language group, just like Germanic, Celtic, Greek, Italic, etc.
    As far as blood is concerned, of course some of the Hunnic or Mongol invaders would have raped women and passed on their genes there, but there never were a lot in Europe of either of them, so the impact on the Slavic genetic makeup would be small.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    The Slavonic languages are a branch of the Indo-European language group, just like Germanic, Celtic, Greek, Italic, etc.
    As far as blood is concerned, of course some of the Hunnic or Mongol invaders would have raped women and passed on their genes there, but there never were a lot in Europe of either of them, so the impact on the Slavic genetic makeup would be small.

What about people and nomads immigrating from Asia and mingling with the local populace? It doesen't necessarily have to mongol invaders.
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

What do you mean by asking if they are "Eurasians"? What does that mean?? I've never seen such term used to describe ethnicity. Eurasia is a continent of which Europe and Asia are parts. So what is this "Eurasian" group of people and why wouldn't it include "Asians"? And how exactly do you define "Asians" for that matter?

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    What do you mean by asking if they are "Eurasians"? What does that mean?? I've never seen such term used to describe ethnicity. Eurasia is a continent of which Europe and Asia are parts. So what is this "Eurasian" group of people and why wouldn't it include "Asians"? And how exactly do you define "Asians" for that matter?
    I think he means Indo-european.
    @ Mr Durlan: Of all slavs, only russians and ukranians had significant contact with mongols. So I presume, there were some mixing but mongol genes aren't predominant. Calling them "asians" or mongols is like calling germans slavs because they mixed with poles and czechs, for example...
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 09-26-2006 at 17:29.

In Western terminology, a "Caucasian" is a white person, because it is believed that the origin of the Proto-Indo-European language finds itself in the Causasus mountain range.
    Actually I think that only Americans use that term extensively. In Europe it mostly refers to Caucasus inhabitants.
    BTW Eurasian is a term that actually exists heh
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Durian
    Me and this guy are having an argument. The guy says Poles/Ukranians etc are Eurasians. i say no but they do have asian genes in them due to all the interbreeding during the Mongolian Empire and prior to that the Hun Invasion. Then another guy says this is not true.

So am I right? If so know any links to back this up?

It is far more complicated. First Poles were never in any way a part of Mongol Empire.
    Second in my opinion it is all utter nonsence - after 1000 or more years there is no purity anywhere and it is doubtful there ever was any.

Third Poland and Ukraine ( and Hungary and Britain, France etc) were or are multinational countries and their genes are a complete mixture of everything.

Ukrainians have much Polish and Russian blood, not to mention German, Hungarian or even Scottish and Italian - they are descendants of the people living in eastern part of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - the 'wild east' of the country which has all the hallmarks of the famous american Wild West.

Poles have even more mixed forefathers - according to some tests we have genome with much Semitic or even Portuguese 'blood'.

Regards Cegorach

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Isn't a Eurasian someone with European and Asian Genes?
    Anyway, why does Cacausian meen all white people? Shoodn't it be just those from the Cacaus Mts?

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

In Western terminology, a "Caucasian" is a white person, because it is believed that the origin of the Proto-Indo-European language finds itself in the Causasus mountain range.

However, in countries like Russia the term refers exclusively to people from the geographic region itself (Georgians, Abkhazians, Chechens, etc.). It basically depends on where you are.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    Anyway, why does Cacausian meen all white people? Shoodn't it be just those from the Cacaus Mts?
    Good point

......Orda

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    Because Caucasiod, Negeroid, and Mongoloid refer to facial features rather than skin tone. The variations in skin tone among peoples with very similar features. So Indians, Arabs, Persians, Turkics, and Europeans are all Caucasoids.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Turkics should be mongoloid originally -yes facially.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Yep, caucasian is based on facial structure. I always found it interesting why us Americans use it essentially to mean "white" while most hispanics are also scientifically classified as 'caucasian' but aren't labeled as such...