Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

Default Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

Me and this guy are having an argument. The guy says Poles/Ukranians etc are Eurasians. i say no but they do have asian genes in them due to all the interbreeding during the Mongolian Empire and prior to that the Hun Invasion. Then another guy says this is not true.

So am I right? If so know any links to back this up?
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Default Re: Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

The Slavonic languages are a branch of the Indo-European language group, just like Germanic, Celtic, Greek, Italic, etc.
    As far as blood is concerned, of course some of the Hunnic or Mongol invaders would have raped women and passed on their genes there, but there never were a lot in Europe of either of them, so the impact on the Slavic genetic makeup would be small.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    The Slavonic languages are a branch of the Indo-European language group, just like Germanic, Celtic, Greek, Italic, etc.
    As far as blood is concerned, of course some of the Hunnic or Mongol invaders would have raped women and passed on their genes there, but there never were a lot in Europe of either of them, so the impact on the Slavic genetic makeup would be small.

What about people and nomads immigrating from Asia and mingling with the local populace? It doesen't necessarily have to mongol invaders.
    "I am the Flail of God. If you have not committed such sins would God have sent me to punish you?" -Genghis Khan

Elephant Master Member Conqueror's Avatar

What do you mean by asking if they are "Eurasians"? What does that mean?? I've never seen such term used to describe ethnicity. Eurasia is a continent of which Europe and Asia are parts. So what is this "Eurasian" group of people and why wouldn't it include "Asians"? And how exactly do you define "Asians" for that matter?

RTW, 167 BC: Rome expels Greek philosophers after the Lex Fannia law is passed. This bans the effete and nasty Greek practice of 'philosophy' in favour of more manly, properly Roman pursuits that don't involve quite so much thinking.

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Durian
    Me and this guy are having an argument. The guy says Poles/Ukranians etc are Eurasians. i say no but they do have asian genes in them due to all the interbreeding during the Mongolian Empire and prior to that the Hun Invasion. Then another guy says this is not true.

So am I right? If so know any links to back this up?

It is far more complicated. First Poles were never in any way a part of Mongol Empire.
    Second in my opinion it is all utter nonsence - after 1000 or more years there is no purity anywhere and it is doubtful there ever was any.

Third Poland and Ukraine ( and Hungary and Britain, France etc) were or are multinational countries and their genes are a complete mixture of everything.

Ukrainians have much Polish and Russian blood, not to mention German, Hungarian or even Scottish and Italian - they are descendants of the people living in eastern part of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - the 'wild east' of the country which has all the hallmarks of the famous american Wild West.

Poles have even more mixed forefathers - according to some tests we have genome with much Semitic or even Portuguese 'blood'.

Regards Cegorach

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Isn't a Eurasian someone with European and Asian Genes?
    Anyway, why does Cacausian meen all white people? Shoodn't it be just those from the Cacaus Mts?

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

In Western terminology, a "Caucasian" is a white person, because it is believed that the origin of the Proto-Indo-European language finds itself in the Causasus mountain range.

However, in countries like Russia the term refers exclusively to people from the geographic region itself (Georgians, Abkhazians, Chechens, etc.). It basically depends on where you are.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    Anyway, why does Cacausian meen all white people? Shoodn't it be just those from the Cacaus Mts?
    Good point

......Orda

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Conqueror
    What do you mean by asking if they are "Eurasians"? What does that mean?? I've never seen such term used to describe ethnicity. Eurasia is a continent of which Europe and Asia are parts. So what is this "Eurasian" group of people and why wouldn't it include "Asians"? And how exactly do you define "Asians" for that matter?
    I think he means Indo-european.
    @ Mr Durlan: Of all slavs, only russians and ukranians had significant contact with mongols. So I presume, there were some mixing but mongol genes aren't predominant. Calling them "asians" or mongols is like calling germans slavs because they mixed with poles and czechs, for example...
    Last edited by Sarmatian; 09-26-2006 at 17:29.

In Western terminology, a "Caucasian" is a white person, because it is believed that the origin of the Proto-Indo-European language finds itself in the Causasus mountain range.
    Actually I think that only Americans use that term extensively. In Europe it mostly refers to Caucasus inhabitants.
    BTW Eurasian is a term that actually exists heh
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Savior of Peasant Phill Member Silver Rusher's Avatar

Well, it depends what you mean by 'Slav', because many of the peoples who are commonly referred to as Slavs are not ethnically Slavs, just people speaking Slavonic languages. Southern Slavs, for example, are mostly steppe tribes that settled in that area and learned slavonic languages from either people they lived near early on, invaders or the sparse Slavic population of the regions they settled.

Croats are thought to be descended from Alans, but this is only a theory. Otherwise, the origins of the Croat tribe are unknown.
    Serbs were a Sarmatian tribe.
    Bulgarians were a Turkic people (another branch of the Bulgar tribe was the Volga-Bulgarians, who as you may have known settled along the banks of the Volga and converted to Islam).

However, people like Czechs, Poles and Russians are all descended from the original Slav ethnicity. Even these people, though, are incredibly varied in terms of their gene pool. Part of the point I was making earlier is that even within nationalities that are considered descended from the proto-Slavonic people, a huge history of invaders, natives, settlers and migratory peoples means that Slavs share very few genetic traits.

EDIT: Eastern European is also a dodgy term. Hungarians and Romanians are not Slavs, nor do they typically have proto-Slav genes.

EDIT2: Also, a caucasian (or caucasoid) is one of the 5 distinct races, incorporating people from Europe, through the Middle East and North Africa and right down to India. For your information, others are:

Mongoloid: Inhabitants of Asia (excluding caucasian areas) and natives of the Americas
    Negroid: Originate in central Africa but also live in large populations in the Americas, Europe etc.
    Capoid: Disputed, but usually agreed to be a seperate race from Negroids, they mostly inhabit southern Africa.
    Australoid: Commonly referred to as 'Aboriginals' and live mostly in Australia but inhabit parts of India also.
    Last edited by Silver Rusher; 09-26-2006 at 19:24.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rusher
    Well, it depends what you mean by 'Slav', because many of the peoples who are commonly referred to as Slavs are not ethnically Slavs, just people speaking Slavonic languages. Southern Slavs, for example, are mostly steppe tribes that settled in that area and learned slavonic languages from either people they lived near early on, invaders or the sparse Slavic population of the regions they settled.

Croats are thought to be descended from Alans, but this is only a theory. Otherwise, the origins of the Croat tribe are unknown.
    Serbs were a Sarmatian tribe.
    Bulgarians were a Turkic people (another branch of the Bulgar tribe was the Volga-Bulgarians, who as you may have known settled along the banks of the Volga and converted to Islam).
    Serbs were not a sarmatian tribe. The fact that there was a sarmatian tribe called "serbs" doesn't necesarilly mean that serbs were sarmatians. Toponyms which include the root of the name (srb) exist in a very large area, from middle east and asia to central europe. Sarmatian theory is just one of the many theories of the origin of the name "serbs". Wikipedia:
    Earliest historical records of names similar to "Serb"
    Here are a few of the earliest quotations from well known ancient geographers and historians:

Herodotus (11,6) (5th century BC), and Diodor from Sicily (1,30) mention the lake named Serbonis (Σερβυνιδοζ) in lower Egypt. However taking the large distances into the account it is highly unlikely that today's Serbs have anything to do with that particular toponym.

Strabo (63 - 19 BC): "the river Kanthos/Skamandros is called Sirbis (Sirbika) by the natives." ( Strabonis rerum geographicarum libri septendicini, Basileza 1571 s. 763).

Tacitus (ca. 50 AD): described the Serboi tribe near the Caucasus, close to the hinterland into the Black Sea. Many consider this theory as a very probable one taking some distant linguistic similarities with today's Caucausus people's such as Ingushi, Chechens etc.

Pliny (69-75 AD): "beside the Cimerians live Meotics, Valians, Serbs (Serboi), Zingians, Psesians." (Historia naturalis, VI, c. 7 & 19 Leipzig 1975). It coincides with the Tacitus's view on Serbian ancient homeland among the Iranian peoples of the Caucausus.

Ptolemy (150 AD): "between the Keraunian mountains and the river Pa, live the Orineians, Valians and Serbs." (Geographia V, s. 9). Ptolemy also mention the city in Pannonia named Serbinum (present day Bosanska Gradiška in Republika Srpska). This well known ancient scientist one more time points out to the Caucasus placing Serbs close to Black Sea riviera.
    In the third century Roman emperor Licinius referred to the Carpathians as 'Montes Serrorum' ("Serb mountains").

There is a theory that the name Serbs was a designation for all Slavic peoples in history. The earliest possible association of Serbi with Slavs is from Procopius (6th century), who says that Antae and Sclavenes (Slavs) originally had the common name Sporoi, which has been claimed as a corruption of Srbi (Serbs).

Most non-slavic theories about origin of the croats are from the WWII. Nazi puppet state croatia tried to prove that croatins were not slavs, because slavs weren't "aryan" race. From that time many theories take place, includind scandivian origin of the croats, iranian and so on...

You were right on bulgars, though.

Heh, that's ironic. Your username is Sarmatian and you live in Serbia

EDIT: Oh, and looky here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorie...ame_.27Serb.27
    Last edited by Silver Rusher; 09-27-2006 at 19:04.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rusher
    Heh, that's ironic. Your username is Sarmatian and you live in Serbia

EDIT: Oh, and looky here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theorie...ame_.27Serb.27
    Yes, it is. That's why I chose this username. I didn't say that Iranian/sarmatian theory isn't true, just that it isn't proven. We can not say with certainty that this theory is true. It is one of many theories. There is a theory that all slavs called themselves serbs, for example. Sarmatian/iranian theory tries to explain the name "serbs", not people. France got it's name after the german tribe, franks, but today we do not consider french to have germanic origin.

OK, sorry, I guess I misenterpreted the first part of your post.

I agree that upon the theory being more connected with the name, but we must remember that migrations of entire groups of people are especially potent. However, links with sarmatians have pretty well completely gone so I guess the argument really goes straight back to the name.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

"Entire groups of people" do not migrate. Look at modern mass migrations and tell me that they are different from those of the ancient days.

They are not. The Bulgars moved to Bulgaria and bequeathed their name to the nation, yet speak Slavic now and look it, too -- all the while leaving a powerful state on the steppe that survived until the Mongol juggernaut took it down. The Anglosaxons moved to England, yet Saxony recreated the Holy Roman Empire and the Angles went on to form part of the Danish nation. The Turks conquered Anatolia yet their language is still dominant in the Central Asia from which they came. In that exact way, millions of men, women, and children moved out of Europe, yet is this continent empty?

To assume that was the truth back then is to assume that something can be racially pure -- or, perhaps better said, racially defined. Nobody is "pure" of "blood"; disregarding the fact that we all have the same simple system of red and white running through our veins in the first place, all of us are the product of a hundred thousand individuals through three million years. The only thing that truly matters is language in these cases, and that is much easier to alter than blood.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Gah, slight miswording of post. When I said entire groups of people I meant things like tribal branches rather than 'peoples' if you see what I mean. That was probably very misleading, I apologise.
    Last edited by Silver Rusher; 09-27-2006 at 22:13.
    THE GODFATHER, PART 2
    The Thread

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by L'Impresario
    Actually I think that only Americans use that term extensively. In Europe it mostly refers to Caucasus inhabitants.
    BTW Eurasian is a term that actually exists heh
    Australians do as well... so I have the feeling that it is an english term for Europeans in general.

Considering that Eurasia is a single land mass techically you can call anyone on it Eurasian so that definition is not really that useful... as it is too broad.
    Eurasian is commonly used to mean someone who has a European parent and an Asian parent... like my son is termed Eurasian.
    Last edited by Papewaio; 09-28-2006 at 00:02.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Hmm, here's wiki's take on it:

Different regions of the world use the term in different ways. In the United States, Caucasian is currently used primarily as a distinction loosely based on skin color alone for a group commonly referred to as White Americans, as defined by the American government and Census Bureau. In Europe, "Caucasian" refers exclusively to people who are from the Caucasus.
    In Britain and Ireland the term "Caucasian" is almost never used, White British or "European" is used instead.
    BTW these quotes don't refer to any specific research on terminology (apart maybe from frequent poll use), but it agrees with my personal experience and feeling on that word.

And, yes, I 've seen "Eurasian" used almost exclusively in that particular context.
    Last edited by L'Impresario; 09-28-2006 at 00:40.
    [VDM]Alexandros
    -------------------------------------------
    DUX: a VI MP enhancement mod
    -Version 0.4 is out
    -Comments/Technical Problems are welcome here
    -New forum on upcoming DUX tourney and new site (under construction).

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Wizard
    yet Saxony recreated the Holy Roman Empire
    That's not the way it went. The infant state of "Germany" was created by Franks when Charlemagnes old great empire was split in 3 for his grandsons.
    The first nobleman to explicitly name himself Holy Roman Emperor was indeed a Saxon, Otto the Great.

Using the name "Saxony" is also misleading as it can be taken to mean the modern Bond state Saxony, wich as far as I know doesn't have anything to do with the Saxons (it's in a totally different area)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    Using the name "Saxony" is also misleading as it can be taken to mean the modern Bond state Saxony, wich as far as I know doesn't have anything to do with the Saxons (it's in a totally different area)
    You are pretty much correct. I find it kind of odd, as the Saxon Tribe was focused around modern day Kiel and Hamburg and the area was referred to as Saxony. Yet not long after the fall of Holy Roman Empire in it's entirety, Saxony somehow managed to drift into Selisia (sp?). However, the modern day state in Germany (and perhaps since the break-up of the Holy Roman Empire) the region has always been referred as Saxony-Anhalt. Perhaps there were two separate migrations of the Saxons? One to the British Isles, and the other into Selisia? Yet for some reason or another, due maybe to migration, Old Saxony lost it's cultural identity? I am suddenly deeply intrigued and will do some research

Thanks Kralizec for sparking interest in the subject.

EDIT: Honestly, I have no idea what I'm talking about so I could be waaaayyy of base.
    Last edited by Samurai Waki; 09-28-2006 at 06:37.

Quote Originally Posted by IrishArmenian
    Because Caucasiod, Negeroid, and Mongoloid refer to facial features rather than skin tone. The variations in skin tone among peoples with very similar features. So Indians, Arabs, Persians, Turkics, and Europeans are all Caucasoids.
    If you havin' skyrim problems I feel bad for you son.. I dodged 99 arrows but my knee took one.

VENI, VIDI, NATES CALCE CONCIDI

I came, I saw, I kicked ass

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

Turkics should be mongoloid originally -yes facially.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Yep, caucasian is based on facial structure. I always found it interesting why us Americans use it essentially to mean "white" while most hispanics are also scientifically classified as 'caucasian' but aren't labeled as such...

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink
    Yep, caucasian is based on facial structure. I always found it interesting why us Americans use it essentially to mean "white" while most hispanics are also scientifically classified as 'caucasian' but aren't labeled as such...
    I think it has nothing to do with science, they consider that term politically correct.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian
    I think it has nothing to do with science, they consider that term politically correct.
    Well, it is a term used in physical anthropology, but you are right that most people would not understand it that way.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reenk Roink
    I have noticed that while filling out applications and such, that Middle-Easterners and Indians (from India), are also considered Caucasian.

However, oddly enough, even though Hispanics are considered caucasian they are categorized into a different race altogether. As well as Black, Asian, Native American, and Pacific Islander. Technically though, wouldn't Native American, Pacific Islander, and Asian all fit into the same category based on genus?

I thought the Ameri-Indians were descended from European tribe who migrated from France in the last Ice Age.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

And how ould they get those destinctly Asian features?
    Besides the landbridge between Alaska and and Siberia (don't know the real term so bear with me) would have been far better suited for migration than the flimsy icebridge across the north atlantic.

There is some controversy over the Kennewick man and his rather European features, but that is about it.

When it coems to Saxony, it has to a great extent retained it's name. Sure Saxony is ALSO to the east, but Niedersachsen (Lower Saxony) is actually placed roughly around the Saxon areas... the lower parts of course.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

mmm Tarrak I doubt that anything as a land bridge over the North Atlantic ever existed. When you look at the times of migration.
    Homo Sapiens entered Northern Europe in about 30,000-35,000 BP, by then the biggest Ice ages were already in the past, and even the Bering Street was begining to become open again.
    So if anyone could even have migrated to America over a land bridge it was Homo Neanderthaliensis, and then it should have been clear that Kennewick man (never heard of him tbh) should have looked like a Neanderthaler not a Homo Sapiens.

Next to that land bridges form over places where the sea isn't very deep and where it's cold. So that should mean that the migraters should have migrated over the North Pole as that was the best place to migrate over. The Atlantic Ocean simply is too deep to freeze solid and the ice didn't come lower then Scotland in the last Ice ages, so France is out of the question anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast