Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

Magister Vitae Senior Member Kraxis's Avatar

Default Re: Are Eastern Europeans/Slavs Eurasians or have Asian genes in them?

Note that I said icebridge...

Ah yes, it would be a better term to call it the Berings Strait landbridge. But it was there until around 12000 years ago, which coincides with the earliest human remains in North America (in Alaska). Then it took thousands of years for humans to actually reach South America. So it is assumed that the humans that made it were very few. Perhaps no more than a couple thousand.

The Kennewick man is about 9000 years old and look like a European. It is a very controversial case as the local Ameri-Indians quickly won his remains in court (all ancient remains are considered theirs and mustn't dug up). Currently only a mould of his skull exists, and of course the reconstructed face.
    To me the case looks like the Indians fearing that Kennewick man perhaps WAS European. So much that they obstructed ANY work to get his identity known. They even made certain that no DNA samples could be taken and ruined the remains while in the custody of the researchers by sprinkling them with leaves and various other organic matter.

Why fear a SINGLE man? Even if he was European his group must certainly have been a minority, and seems to have died out.

Btw, the man was killed by an arrow in the back.
    You may not care about war, but war cares about you!

If he was European he had to set out by boat.
    Which would have been possible. Polynesia was colonized about the same time. In 9000 BP the Earth was already much warmer and with Island hopping (British Isles, Iceland, Greenland, New Foundland) it would have easely been possible for humans to reach America. It could have been fishers who lived on Iceland and got off course (as deepseafishing was practised according to some historians).
    No in 9000 BP it would have been possible to reach America from Europe I think.

Blog Entries

well that is very possible Stig. However, factually speaking, the Pacific Islander migrations certainly didn't happen over night. Much like the Aborigines, the migration out to sea probably happened in waves, where no more than a tribe consisting of maybe a couple hundred of people or less just kind of set sail (for reasons unknown, although most likely because they were in search of food without competition). But maybe only 1 tribe landed in certain archipelagos and from there, expanded to nearby Islands.

The Kennewick man is certainly an anomaly, and maybe he was a fisherman who was badly blown off course, and perhaps landed in the US purely by luck (although as a castaway). Has there been more evidence of a white migration across the seas predating Maddog and the Vikings? Or are there other specimens like the Kennewick man? I guess I'm kind of skeptical at this point until more evidence is found. The Native Tribes are doing themselves a huge disfavour by blocking any research on this guy, because it will likely be an interest by the scientific community for a long time, and only stir up hype.

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sarmatian
    Yes, it is. That's why I chose this username. I didn't say that Iranian/sarmatian theory isn't true, just that it isn't proven. We can not say with certainty that this theory is true. It is one of many theories. There is a theory that all slavs called themselves serbs, for example. Sarmatian/iranian theory tries to explain the name "serbs", not people. France got it's name after the german tribe, franks, but today we do not consider french to have germanic origin.
    Iranian theory has some weaknesses. Many Croatian historians claim that they came from Iran.
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 09-29-2006 at 20:12.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofSerbia
    Iranian theory has some weaknesses. Many Croatian historians claim that they came from Iran.
    That is actually based on the same theory. Serbian and croatian toponyms are often present in the same geographical areas. Some historians claim that this proves that serbs and croats have same roots. But even experts on subject can make no more than an educated guess, so will never know, unless they find some new evidence...

However, factually speaking, the Pacific Islander migrations certainly didn't happen over night. Much like the Aborigines, the migration out to sea probably happened in waves, where no more than a tribe consisting of maybe a couple hundred of people or less just kind of set sail
    Yeah true and if something like that happened in the North Atlantic it's only a matter of time before will find their remains. That's why I called them fishermen. They were looking for new fishing grounds, with about 4 boats or so they set sail and land on Iceland, in a couple of hunderd years they move on to Greenland etc.

Trouble is that neither Greenland nor Iceland has any remains of previous settlements.

I don't know where Kennewick is in the USA, but I got the destinct impression that it was near the west coast. The terrain looked a whole lot like what you see in Westerns (not desert mind you).
    I agree that the Indians are shooting themselves in the foot, hoping that this oddity will go away. And I can't seem to figure out why they are so afraid. They even went so far to say that their own storytelling has no mention of white men, so obviously the man can not have been one, and thus he MUST have been one of their ancestors.

Their own reasoning is that in the late 1800s their old mounds were dug up and their ancestors remains carried away, and now they are mad that it happens again. No thought to the fact that many of those in 1800s were criminals doing the digging hoping to make a buck on selling odd stuff, while the researchers are careful people mostly (at least today they are). They even said that they would hand back the remains as soon as they had studied them. That isn't terribly great for a researcher as in the future new methods can't be used, but it showed that they had respect for the wishes of the Indians.

Googled it, Kennewick is in state Washington

Which means that somehow that European Home Sapiens must also have colonised America, together with the Asian Homo Sapiens.

Either 2 things could have happened I think.
    1. It's all a big mistake, Kennewick man looks like a European but just isn't.

2. 2 kinds of Homo Sapiens almost simultaniously colonized America. The Asian human was stronger and with more men and managed to extreminate the European human.
    But if this is true, we should be able to find settlements in atleast Eastern America that support this, but these have not yet been found. (to they even dig in those parts, never heard of archaeologic excavation in that region)

Anyway about the settlements on Greenland, they might not have been found yet, since it's covered in ice.
    I study Archaeology and were I study (Groningen) we have the 'department' Artic Archaeology. Don't get it till the second year so I don't know how difficult it is to dig in the Artic

On Greenland you can only live on the coaststrip. There is neither plants nor animals further in. And there hasn't been since before humans have existed (icecore samples go back extremely far).
    But the cold and lack of proper erosion leaves ancient remains readily accessible (comparably). And given the extensive work on Nordic settlements I would have expected older objects to have been found in perhaps a limited quantity.

Personally I believe Kennewick man is asiatic, just a fluke. Remember how the Olmecs looked? A lot like western Africans, big lips, sloping forehead, big cheekbones. However they were not Africans.
    But without the remains to look into, there is no chance to ever find out. This will in turn lead to people speculating, getting ideas and so on. It could very well end up hurting the indians a great deal as people will begin to claim the land and so on... You know how people can get.

If he was European then I doubt there would have been many like him. And I suspect that his bloodline eventually was washed out.
    There is some minor evidence for Europeans as number of remains of Europeans have been found in China and Mongolia. However these are a good deal younger. But it isn't too far to expect them to have branch off from a group that went to North America. But I just believe it more likely than a fluke.
    Last edited by Kraxis; 09-30-2006 at 19:09.

Now you name the Olmecs. Look what Polynesian people look like. People from Papoa New Guinea (Is that the English name?), Maori's, Aborgines, etc. They all have asian humans as their 'fathers'. But they don't really look like it.
    Known is that little rodents (mice) can evolve very quickly, we can now date stone age settlements by just looking at the teeth of mice found in it. Why can't this also happen to humans. Ofcourse something like real evolving takes 100,000 of years, but the change in 'looks' can happen really quickly. In no more then a couple of 1000 years. Look at the people 1000 year ago and us now, we also changed (not only by speaking of height)

And I'm with you that Kennewick man will most likely be Asian, I know little about him, but him being European is very unlikely for me

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stig
    Look at the people 1000 year ago and us now, we also changed (not only by speaking of height)
    The increased height is more likely due to our much improved nutrition.

You have a PM, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralizec
    The increased height is more likely due to our much improved nutrition.
    Not only m8, over the years people grow, look at the (more estimated) length of the people in Roman times and the (again more estimated) length of people in Medieval times and after. Nutrition in that didn't really change (maybe even fall back) and still they grew. Not much but people became longer

Default Answers...

Quote Originally Posted by cegorach
    It is far more complicated. First Poles were never in any way a part of Mongol Empire.
    Second in my opinion it is all utter nonsence - after 1000 or more years there is no purity anywhere and it is doubtful there ever was any.

Third Poland and Ukraine ( and Hungary and Britain, France etc) were or are multinational countries and their genes are a complete mixture of everything.

Ukrainians have much Polish and Russian blood, not to mention German, Hungarian or even Scottish and Italian - they are descendants of the people living in eastern part of Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth - the 'wild east' of the country which has all the hallmarks of the famous american Wild West.

Poles have even more mixed forefathers - according to some tests we have genome with much Semitic or even Portuguese 'blood'.

Regards Cegorach
    Excellent post. Especially what is bolded. I will add that nations are not created on genetics than nations are created on culture.

Serbs were not a sarmatian tribe. The fact that there was a sarmatian tribe called "serbs" doesn't necesarilly mean that serbs were sarmatians. Toponyms which include the root of the name (srb) exist in a very large area, from middle east and asia to central europe. Sarmatian theory is just one of the many theories of the origin of the name "serbs".
    Agree. Those Serbs were probably some kind of ruling class. Just to add that every theory based on Constantine VII Porphyrogenitos “De Administrando Imperio” (which we learn in our Serbian schools) is junk.

Using the name "Saxony" is also misleading as it can be taken to mean the modern Bond state Saxony, wich as far as I know doesn't have anything to do with the Saxons (it's in a totally different area)
    Exactly. In modern Saxony (federal state of BRD) lived Slavs and Germans through medieval colonized that area.

Watching

Default Silver Rusher

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Rusher
    Well, it depends what you mean by 'Slav', because many of the peoples who are commonly referred to as Slavs are not ethnically Slavs, just people speaking Slavonic languages.
    Mostly not true.

Southern Slavs, for example, are mostly steppe tribes that settled in that area and learned slavonic languages from either people they lived near early on, invaders or the sparse Slavic population of the regions they settled.
    That’s the one version of history in which mostly believes Croatian historians and several Serbian. Read my next answer.

Croats are thought to be descended from Alans, but this is only a theory. Otherwise, the origins of the Croat tribe are unknown.
    Croats are not descendants of Alans. Descendants of Alans are Ossetinians.

Read those: http://www.iranchamber.com/history/a...serbs_jats.php
    http://www.iranchamber.com/history/a...cient_iran.php

And download this: http://www.iranchamber.com/history/a...gin_croats.pdf

In this pdf you will read how Croats discovered America before Vikings at least twice… Those texts are political pamphlets as Croatian historians and linguists try to prove that they are not Slavs and that they have nothing common with us (Serbs) and that Croatian has nothing with Serbian.

Many indications that early Croats sailed long before Protoslavs exist there. E.g. the early texts in southeastern Europe of 6th and 7th cent. noted Croats sailing in Adriatic, Peloponnesus, Crete, and Bosporus, where their navy allied to Persian emperor Khosrov II attacked Constantinople from the seaside. The large medieval empories of Croatian navigators persisted in Moorish Spain and Sicily. In 16th cent. Croatian captain Vice BUNE sailed from India into Pacific, explored Melanesia and the first discovered New Hebrides and Salomon islands, and then went to Mexico becaming its viceking. Different indicators suggest that Croatian medieval navigators at least twice crossed Atlantic and reached Americas before Vikings and Columbus: Viking reports on early Hvirtamanna people and Hvirtaland country (then Croatans in east USA), early Indios legends with Croatian names and related American names in old Adriatic legends, Iranic-Croatian symbols in Yucatan temples, Iranic-Croatian emblem in early Andean kings, American cactuses in medieval Dalmatia, etc. The joint Croat-Moorish sailings from Spain across Atlantic to America iteratively describe some old Arabic texts and old Croatian epic legends: in Old-Croat Semeraan & Semeraye = West Ocean and Westlands, in Old-Arabic script "Dark Ocean" and Ard-Majkola. These expeditions in 11th cent. probably organized Moorish generals Wadha EL-AMERI and Zohair AL-AMERI: isn’t America's name from them? The last study of ing. H. Malinar et al. analyses the big hillfort of old naval city Uri-Kuoryta (recent Korintija) in Krk Island, the largest ruins of Adriatic to 2,5 km wide, but it was not studied because it was developed justly during the Croatian immigrations there, and some non-Slavic cultural indicators in these ruins were contrary to the Vukovian dogmas on the Slavic origin of Croats.
    The latest theory published Turkish historian Osman Karatay: “IN SEARCH OF THE LOST TRIBE: The Origins and Making of the Croatian Nation”, Çorum, September, 2003.

CONTENTS:

Foreword 1
    Introduction 3
    The Iranic, Germanic and Slavic Theories 9
    Bulgaric, Oghuric and Other Origins of the Actors 19
    Post Hunnic Spectacle of Eastern Europe 31
    The Age of Avar Supremacy in the Western Steppes 40
    The Years of Constant Rebellion Against the Avars 54
    The Coming of Croats to Balkans 65
    Who were the First Croats 80
    The desertion of Khuber Khan and Roots of Serbian State 97
    Origins off Bosnian State and the Royal Kotroman Family 111
    Conclusion 143
    Literature 149

Rewiev of Mr. Karatay’s book:

In Search of the Lost Tribe

How to Make a Balkan Nation

A medieval story by Osman Karatay on how a Turkic tribe near the Caspian Sea disappeared, and then appeared in Poland to start the making of the Croatian nation

by Bülent Kenes

It was surely easier in olden times to solve, or to suggest a solution to the very problems of ethnic origins. People used to be grandsons of certain historical or legendary personalities. Today, however, we can be hardly satisfied with those kinds of stories. On the other hand, historico-scientific researches continue also not providing very believable and credible explanations for certain questions. One of them is the mysterious theme of how, where and when the twin nations of the Balkans, the Croats and Serbs were formed. International diplomacy has succeeded in finding some solutions to the most complicated questions posed by the collapse of the Socialist Yugoslavia in 1991, even though of temporary nature and aimed at lengthening the many cease-fires; but world-wide attempts to suggest solutions to the historical matrixes of Eastern Europein Early Medieval have resulted in very less consensus. Among them, the problem of origins of the Croats and Serbs ranks the first.

Croats are a northwestern nation with a Slavic language and Catholic confession. Today, their confession is the determinant factor on their identity. However, there was a Croatian nation even before the Catholicism. Language is by no means determinant, as they speak the same language as their neighbors Serbs, Montenegrins and Bosniacs. Thus, historians agree on the fact that a certain ethnie, regardless of its ethnic or linguistic affiliation,
    is on the base of this nation. Who were, then, those Proto-Croats?
    Their description in medieval sources signs a non-Slavic identity. Thus, many historians tended to suggest an Iranic and Germanic origin for them. The second has very few bases, thus has no much supporters. The first theory relies on the prejudgment that before the Slavic and Turkic invasion of north of the Black Sea, some Iranic peoples inhabited there. Proto-Croats split from them and migrated to Poland. In the second phase they came to the Balkans, were slavicized meanwhile, and formed the Croatian nation. This theory is even weaker than the Germanic one, as historiography still searches for traces of those supposed or imaginary Iranic people. Some scholars suggested Turkic (i.e. Avaric and Bulgaric) origins; however, their proofs were also very weak and contradictory.

Osman Karatay, the leading balkanolog of Turkey, as well as a prominent medieval historian has focused on this very extreme question for long years. He published his conclusions in a Turkish book (Hirvat Ulusunun Olusumu, Ankara, 2000), in which he proposed a Turkic origin for the Croats. Though seems very fantastical, this theory was appreciated in scholarly milieu, and not too much challenged. Its language precluded the book from reaching more readers. Mr. Karatay preferred writing a new book in English, instead of translating the Turkish version. Thus, "In Search of the Lost Tribe" was borne.
    It is totally different from the Turkish edition both in structure and content. Fruits of the studies of the last three years were added, and the content was enriched. This also meant more consolidation of the theory, which the author himself calls "The Oguric theory".

Mr. Karatay suggests that a tribe of the Oguric union, a Turkic group comingto Europe just after the collapse of the Hun Empire, second half of the 5th century, were driven by the Avars from the northwest of the Caspian sea to Galicia, south of Poland. A few years later the Avars came just to their south, in today's Hungary and Slovakia. That Ogurs became champions of resistance to the Avars, and organized local people, i.e. Slavs. The last and conclusive phase of their anti-Avar activity was invasion of Dalmatia in a coordinated
    assault with the Byzantium and Franks. These Turks, very few in number, were slavicized in the course of time, however gave their national name to the mass under their state. Medieval Greek, Russian and Latin sources clearly sign to this adventure.

This very interesting book is also full of new ideas on the formation of Serb and Bosniac nations. He proposes, for instance, the first Serbian king was a Turkic prince called Kuber Khan, son of the Great Bulgar khan Kubrat (mid 7th century); and there are many Serbian kings with Turkic names. His contributions to the Pre-Proto-Bulgar history are surely very outstanding. The author has new ideas on Hungarian and Khazar histories, too. For example, he claims the Hungarians had never been in the North Caucasus. Ancestors
    of most of the Tataristan Turks, then called Bulgars, lived in cohabitation with the Chechens in the Caucasus, and were expelled by the rising Khazars to the north, and not by the Arabo-Islamic armies, as widely accepted.
    So, Karatay “discovered” that Croats are Onoguric origin and that the first Serbian king was Turkic prince.

From what I read and researched Croats originally were some kind of Avar ruling caste witch intermix with Slavs and they became Slavs. Croats are product of intermixing between Pannonian Slavs and Avars.
    Watching

Default Silver Rusher 2...

Serbs were a Sarmatian tribe.
    And what if I wrote that Sarmatians are proto Slavs? Territory were live Slavs Greeks called Scythia, Romans called Sarmatia and later from nowhere came Veneti, Slavs and Antes on their place! Sarmatians just vanished! Names are changed but people/tribes stayed the same. The problem is that Greeks and Romans called all tribes on East as Scythians and/or Sarmatians, but all those tribes weren’t Scythians/Sarmatians. So, Sarmatians weren’t all proto Slavs but neither were all Iranians.

Btw, Serbs are direct descendants of Triballi/ Τριβαλλός (tribe in Central Balkan Peninsula, one tribe of so called “Illyrians”).

P.S.
    Caucasian theory of origin of Serbs can be found here: http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill...1/origins.html

Bulgarians were a Turkic people (another branch of the Bulgar tribe was the Volga-Bulgarians, who as you may have known settled along the banks of the Volga and converted to Islam).
    But Bulgarians were minority who ruled over various Slavic tribes. After they assimilated they left only name. The same was with Franks in France and Rus (Swedes?) in Russia.

EDIT: Eastern European is also a dodgy term. Hungarians and Romanians are not Slavs, nor do they typically have proto-Slav genes.
    Hungarians have Slavic genes because they occupied territory were Slavs lived.

but we must remember that migrations of entire groups of people are especially potent.
    Great migration of entire tribes is a tale. And I admit very impressive tale. All those so called great migrations of Germanic tribes weren’t. Those were invasions except Angles and Saxons who colonized Britain. And colonization is not migration.
    Great Slavic migration never happened. Our ancestors always lived in those areas where we are now (except in far away Russia) – from modern Eastern Germany to the European part of Russia, from Baltic Sea down to Pannonia and parts of Balkan Peninsula. Official history has so many holes but it still survives because western historians refuse to discuss about something else. Fortunately, there are modern (and were in past) western historians who know that theory of great Slavic migration is falsification or at least have many holes which can’t be any more ignored.

Excellent book about Slavs is written by Francis Conte, Professeur à l'Université de Paris-Sorbonne “LES SLAVES Aux origines des civilisations d'Europe centrale et orientale (VI-XIII siècles)” There is book in English, too – “The Slavs”.

Let us see what Francis Conte wrote:
    It is traditionally believed that the barbarian invasions from the fifth and sixth centuries mark the beginnings of European history.

At the end of the fourth century, Saint Ambrosis had already sensed the most phenomenal aspect of these cascading invasions: "The Huns, he writes, attacked the Alans the Alans the Goths, the Goths the Sarmatians. And, it is not over!"

Also, contemporary witnesses are very often themselves the victims: they witnessed sedentary peoples being massacred, towns burned, monasteries robbed, shops turned into ashes, and markets destroyed. They witnessed the destruction of the connections, roads, and pathways which brought the countries, regions, and cities closer. However, looking at the end of the chain, these invasions appear to be the result of tribes running away from one another after a much stronger wave of invaders.
    So, those “migrations’ were de facto invasions.
    Watching

Rex Pelasgorum et Valachorum Member Rex_Pelasgorum's Avatar

Regarding the central asian heritage in Eastern Europe, i can say that at least in the southern and eastern parts of Romania, that heritage is clearly felt in toponyms, personal names, and phisionomy, altough it may came also from the Turkish Invasions. It is not very significant, but it is , much stronger than the Slavic influence
    Regarding Slavs, the situation is extremely complicated....

It is raging debate at the moment, considering the fact that the archeology did not found any clear Slavic settlements... maybe they lived in tents, or how ?How can a small area around the Pripyet Marshes generate such a wawe of invasion to clear out all the non-latin/non-greek populations in the Balkans ?

Even if whe presume they slaughtered in mass the inhabitants (which is likely, they were among the most cruel if not the most , invaders in the known history ) , than how did the Proto-Romanians , Albanians and Greeks survived ? They fled in the mountains like cowards.. but what about Thracians, Sarmatians, Germanics, and others ?

Anyway, the Slavic invasion, from a strict genetic point of view, at least in the balkans had a very limited impact. Just look at the Bulgarians, they have clear mediteraneean traits ! Even they, in the last decades, they consider themselfs more of Thracian ancestry than of Slavic one. Romanians are romanized Thracians, Bulgarians are slavicised Thracians.

The turks are a very interesting mix. Some even argued whith good arguments, that the modern Turks share the same amount of common genes whith the Ancient Hellenes like Greeks....

The process which i clearly do not understand, is how a population is simply losing its language. I can understand how the Romans imposed latin, etc, but how nations, and tribes whith an inferior culture managed to impose theyr language on civilisation whith a higher degree of advancements (such as the Slavs did in Balkans, or the Turkis tribes did on Anatolian Hellenes).
    Dogma nemuririi sufletului îi fãcea curajosi fãrã margini, dispretuitori fatã de orice pericol, poftitori de moarte (apetitus morti) luptãtori cu hotarâre si cu o întreprindere de speriat.
    (Metianus Capella)

If you set up a nobility after you have destroyed the local cultural places, then the locals will be forced to adopt a certain amount of the new language.
    English has a good amount of French in it, and yes that dates to the Normans. For instance, all kinds of meat have different names from the animals to the meat. Sheep - mutton, ox - beef, pig - pork, ect... I doubt it is unique, but the French is clear in the meatnames, while a certain degree of germanic is visible in the animalnames.
    English even has a surprisingly large amount of Danish words in it. Not just the old Saxon words, but words adopted from the vikings.

If the ruling class was weak and relatively few in numbers, then the loal language might survive, but distorted. French is a case of that. Something akin to latin evolved into French, while the nobility was in fact germanic Franks. But it also seems that like the Lombards and Ostrogoths in Italy the Franks were in awe of the local culture.

Another possibility, which I found to be disgusting, is the removal of the previous language. When a certain group of Britons 'fled' Brittania in face of ever stronger Saxon attacks, they took over Amorica (home of Asterix). There they killed the men mostly, and took their women. Then they cut out the tongues of the women so that they would not teach the children a foreign language. And to this day the place is named Bretagne (Brittany) and they speak a celtic language (in addition to French of course), though it is in decline.
    I don't know if it is true, but it is a story the conquerors themselves believed and they wrote it down with pride.

However I do not believe in the Slavs having always lived where they live now (eastern Germany to Russia and all the other places mentioned).
    The Burgundians and Lombards, both Germanic groups, came from deep within the so-called Slavic homelands, and the Goths treked over their lands with no dilution of their germanic language.
    Last edited by Kraxis; 09-30-2006 at 23:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Pelasgorum
    Even if whe presume they slaughtered in mass the inhabitants (which is likely, they were among the most cruel if not the most , invaders in the known history ) , than how did the Proto-Romanians , Albanians and Greeks survived ? They fled in the mountains like cowards.. but what about Thracians, Sarmatians, Germanics, and others?

The process which i clearly do not understand, is how a population is simply losing its language. I can understand how the Romans imposed latin, etc, but how nations, and tribes whith an inferior culture managed to impose theyr language on civilisation whith a higher degree of advancements (such as the Slavs did in Balkans, or the Turkis tribes did on Anatolian Hellenes).
    Just how did you come this conclusion that slavs were the most cruel invaders?

And exactly which civilizations in the balkans, expect greeks, had higher degree of advancement?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Thank you for the information, Sarmatian and DukeofSerbia. I always thought of Serbia and Croatia as intriguing countries, though sadly I don't know much about them. Time to do some reading

Thank you for the information, Sarmatian and DukeofSerbia. I always thought of Serbia and Croatia as intriguing countries, though sadly I don't know much about them. Time to do some reading
    No problem. Always happy to help...

I find it intresting that when people talk about the peoples living in modern Russia. Before the Slavic expansion.The Finno Ugrian people are always forgotten. Here is a map of the Finno Ugrig peoples of Europe. These people apart the Magyars that conquered Hungary, were more or less sedentary people and had been habiting the same areas as long as there are any mentionings about them in history.
    So i think if there are anything even remotely populations that could be called the original inhabitants of Western and Northern Russia, it would be the Finno Ugrians.Here is the map whats left of the Finno Ugrian populations today:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped..._languages.png
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

There's apparently been Fenno-Ugric speakers all across the northern coniferous belt for quite a while. Naturally nobody knows quite when the rather isolated inhabitants of Finland took to speaking the language family, but in any case it was likely before the wide spread of Indo-European languages (which probably went hand in hand with agriculture; here the ecology wasn't really suitable for it so the wave sort of just passed by and left behind an awful lot of agrarian loan-words).

Not that aside from the Magyars that language family was ever particularly important at least so far as reliable sources exist; one gets the impression the speakers mostly just stuck to their cold forests and hunted elk until someone sufficiently organized (like the Swedes and Novgorodians) got fed up with the damn pagan barbarians raiding their borders and shipping and took over.

Anyway, if you ask me breaking too many lances over the exact ancestry of assorted populaces is by and large a waste of breath and more often than not nationalistically motivated. With the exception of for one reason or another rather isolated areas just about everyone from Britain to China has to a greater or lesser degree gotten mixed with just about everyone else and their dog through the varied dynamics population groups now interact in, and when you really get down to it everyone ultimately harks back to the Rift Valley in Africa or however the theory now currently goes. Languages are hardly a good guideline, since they obviously have very little to do with genetics and quite likely the vast majority of assorted populaces regarded as reasonably monolithic mainly for convenience were highly heterogenous collections of odds and ends picked up from the four winds (and migration routes) who just needed some sort of lingua franca, commonly adopting that of the ruling elite, for internal communication. As someone put it, "for the peasantry it would have mattered none if the mandarins conversed in Latin amongst themselves." Heck, before the thorough linguistical standardization programs of the 1800s even most "old-established" "nation-states" were pretty polyglot by default due to different regional dialects of the same root-language being almost unintelligible to each other...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Exclamation Albanians

Even if whe presume they slaughtered in mass the inhabitants (which is likely, they were among the most cruel if not the most , invaders in the known history ) ,
    That never happen as descedants of Slavs always lived in parts of Balkan. There are no historical records in which is described inclusion of Slavs and so called Illyrians and Thracians in Balkan Peninsula.

than how did the Proto-Romanians , Albanians and Greeks survived ? They fled in the mountains like cowards.. but what about Thracians, Sarmatians, Germanics, and others ?
    Albanians? They never excisted until medieval. They are not aboriginals in Balkan Peninsula.

Proto-Romanians? What you mean?

I have answers on what you asked in your post but I don't have time to type it.
    Watching

Smile Finnic people

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha
    I find it intresting that when people talk about the peoples living in modern Russia. Before the Slavic expansion.The Finno Ugrian people are always forgotten.
    Russians have more intermixing with Finnic people than with the Turkic/Mongol. I read some genetic research about that.

Anyway, I agree that Finnic tribes lived in moder Northern Russia. This is written in Primary Chronicle of monk Kiev (all those Finnic tribes are mentioned: Mordovinians, etc.).
    Watching

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

I read somewhere the cultural-linguistic supergroup known as Slavs came to being under Avar auspices (ie. assorted tributary peoples for one reason or another came to adopt similar language and culture and a vague sense of shared identity) and proved rather better at both expanding and staying around than their pastoral overlords...
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Exclamation Rex_Pelasgorum from Romania

Regarding Slavs, the situation is extremely complicated....
    Yes, it is, especially situation was extremely complicated from XIX century when mostly German historians in era of nationalism and romanticism published theories about Slavs who are...

How can a small area around the Pripyet Marshes generate
    That’s the whole point when official theory falls. From nowhere, the Slavs, the most numerous group of people, exploded for some unknown reason. From Francis Conte “The Slavs”:

In the middle of the first millennium, the Slavs were called Venedes in their western territory, Sclavenes in the south and Antes in the east. Why did they start to assert themselves at that time? Why did they ferociously push beyond the limits of their original territory? Did they experience an increase in population that prompted them to move to the east and the west in search of greater agricultural lands and pastures for their cattle? Were they attracted to the south—beyond the Danube—by the lure of rich Roman cities that served as magnets similar to the shining fringes of the Oriental Empire? Were they targeting Byzantium itself, a desirable object of all barbarians? Or, were they pushed by a more powerful force, be that as it may only a working force?
    such a wawe of invasion to clear out all the non-latin/non-greek populations in the Balkans ?
    And then Conte continues:

Contrary to other barbaric peoples, Byzantium was never able to push the Slavs out of this area. Today, they still live there and form the large majority of the population, despite a succession of incessant invasions and five centuries of Turkish domination that was unable either to integrate or disperse them.
    Anyway, the Slavic invasion, from a strict genetic point of view, at least in the balkans had a very limited impact. Just look at the Bulgarians, they have clear mediteraneean traits ! Even they, in the last decades, they consider themselfs more of Thracian ancestry than of Slavic one. Romanians are romanized Thracians, Bulgarians are slavicised Thracians.
    When people here will finally start to think that CULTURE make tribes and nations and NOT the genetics!

Romanians are not only Romanized Thracians but also conglomerate of various tribes who were on territory of Wallachia and Moldavia.
    Last edited by DukeofSerbia; 10-03-2006 at 11:32.
    Watching

Thumbs up Kraxis

Quote Originally Posted by Kraxis
    However I do not believe in the Slavs having always lived where they live now (eastern Germany to Russia and all the other places mentioned).
    The Burgundians and Lombards, both Germanic groups, came from deep within the so-called Slavic homelands, and the Goths trekked over their lands with no dilution of their germanic language.
    Francis Conte “The Slavs”:

Germania slavica

In the eighth century, the Slavs occupied a land which went beyond today's border of East Germany. They extended from Eastern Holstein to Bavaria, occupying the eastern territories of Barnberg, Nuremberg, and Ratisborin. The heart of Prussian Germany, despite what Bismark might say, has been Slavic for centuries. Today, historians in general admit that, until 1945, one of the main characteristics of Eastern Germany was precisely its Slavic element.
    From what I researched and read proto Slavs originate from Pannonia (around Danube) and northern parts of Balkan Peninsula. Monk Nestor wrote it in “Primary Chronicle”:

After many years the Slavs settled along the Danube the present-day location of the Hungarians and the Bulgarians. It is from there that the Slavs spread out and took specific names as they established themselves in different countries. For example, they settled near a river called Morava and took the name of the Moravians, while others called themselves Czechs. The white Croats, the Serbs, and the Khorutans are all Slavs! The Vlakhs who had gone among, the Slavs near the Danube, settled with them and oppressed them, and then remained on the Vistula and called themselves Leks. Among these Leks, some were named Poles, others were called Lutitchas, Mazoyians, or Pomorians.
    And the Slavs who had settled near the Dnieper also took the name of Poles, while others called themselves Drevlians because they lived in the middle of the forests. Others who went to live between the Pripet and the Dvina were called Dregovitches. The Slavs who staved around Lake llmen kept their name and built a town which they called Novgorod; those who settled on the Desna, the Sem, and the Sula are called Severians. In this way the Slavic race expanded, and its language is known as Slavic.
    Nestor was clear when he wrote that Slavs originate from Illyricum and Romans pushed them to north. After a Roman rule was weakened Slavs started to cross Danube and without any problems “occupy” territories up to Peloponnesus.
    The question is: why all those “Illyrians” and Thracians never fought against Slavs when they fought/resisted bloody to Romans via centuries. They just accepted them without any resistance. But somebody can say that Slavs exterminate them! No, South Slavs except Bulgarians are Dinaric race, so, domicile inhabitants of Balkan were in majority. And then, “cultural inferior” Slavs forced new language and culture. But the true is that we know nothing about so called “Illyrian language”. I will explain – Greeks and Romans called tribes in Balkan as Illyrians but in fact it was term for various tribes who all weren’t similar. Some were (Dalmatians, Triballi, Mezi and Dardans) and other no (like Scordisci who were Celts). Historians and linguistics who refuse to accept that “Illyrians” are Slavs thought out “Illyrian language”.
    It’s interesting if you read Byzantines you saw that they called through medieval Serbs as Triballi and Dalmatians and Bulgarians (as I remember) as Mezi.

Story about Lombards is interesting. Lombards were neighbors of Slavs. German historian Georg Waitz has good theory about relations of Lombards and Slavs.
    Watching

Default ...

Just how did you come this conclusion that slavs were the most cruel invaders?
    Procopius – History of War.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagemusha
    These people apart the Magyars that conquered Hungary
    How Magyars could conquer Hungary when there weren’t any Hungary? Magyars conquered Pannonia.
    Watching

Default Re: ...

Quote Originally Posted by DukeofSerbia
    How Magyars could conquer Hungary when there weren’t any Hungary? Magyars conquered Pannonia.
    I stand corrected the area of modern Hungary.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

DukeofSerbia... I cincerely doubt that the Thracians and Illyrians would just accept the Slavs. Even if they were related and spoke somwhat related languages, there is no doubt that the local romanized people would never accept an invader. Seldomly has this happened.
    Even the Rus in Russia, who claimed to have been invited to rule over the locals, took the land by force.

Also, even if related, most people tend to not care when it comes to their land. It is still an us/them matter. As can be seen by the numerous wars in Gaul and Germania, and not only there but practically everywhere.

The Illyrians and Thracians had by the time of the Slav invasions been removed so far from their ancestral tribal ways, as to not have that ferocious strength anymore. They had been peaceful for too long.
    So either they didn't have the strength, or quite simply our limited sources on the matter didn't know what happened beyond a general matter. If you notice, the sources are very limited and very general. It isn't that unlikely that they didn't know what went on, and if they did they didn't bother to write the obvious.

A peaceful takeover, of two brotherpeople embracing, is about as far from the possibilities I can get.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast