Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: EB looking for betatesters!!

Default EB looking for betatesters!!

Work on EB 0.8 is progressing and some big new systems we have are now in place, but there are still things to do and things to work out. We want 0.8 to have as few bugs, quirks and CTDs as possible and it's here that you can help out. We need some fans to help us out beta-testing the 0.8 mod while we are adding new content to it, so we are sure minimal hiccups or other fatalities sneak in.

Anyone can apply, but people who can bring something extra to the table like skinning skills, text writing, being able to do time-consuming grunt work etc. will get priority. The main criteria though is that you can play EB often and provide constructive and helpful feedback to the EB team. However, we must also note that this will not be a first-come, first-served arrangement. We had a beta testing group before where the mod was served straight up to outside people and modders, and we do not want a repeat (though this time we have less to keep secret - relatively few things really). So although offering to help sooner rather than later might help matters, it still will depend on whether or not we have some indication that you will be able to actually help us in playtesting and that we feel somewhat safe handing you a copy of the current build. If your reply to this is your first or second post, it's probably best just to wait, in other words . The group will be pretty small, so the odds aren't good that any one person will be able to test for us, but some of our testers in the past have joined the team and done great things for us, and this sort of route might be open to people who we really see helping us out here too.

We still have a couple of things we would like to clean up even for the playtesters though, so this won't happen immediately. But you probably won't have very long to wait if you are chosen. Thanks for your interest and we're only sorry that we can't say this is the very last step before releasing 0.8 - because it's not. But we are trying and working as hard as ever and we have nothing in front of us that looks insurmountable, at least for now.

As a further update, the biggest single thing that remains between now and the release of 0.8 is full integration of all currently completed units, and our unit integration team is moving forward on these every day, with more and more units in-game. We are prepping everything else to get ready for this. Our most recent big step has been a totally new unit recruitment and MIC system that was required by the changes CA put into the game between 1.2 and 1.5 that caused CTD's under our old system. Every single recruitment line was thrown out, and now a totally new system has been put in place, with new hidden resources and all the rest of our building complexes being given over to the new method. This system is now in place and is being tested and tweaked.

All applies are done in this thread. Don't use PM as it will not help and will not be counted.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Default Re: EB looking for betatesters!!

ooh,ooh, me. I have a full 12 hours per day of computer time now that I'm on operations center duty, of which I am eagerly able to devote a full 9 or 10 to betatesting

I am also more than capable and willing to assist with text writing, descriptions, etc.
    Last edited by Zaknafien; 10-02-2006 at 01:28.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

I am willing to do beta-testing. Unfortunately, my abilities beyond that isn't much except for text-writing and spell checking, but I am willing.

What a coincidence,

Deep Thought has finally after ten thousands years found the answer to life, the universe, and everything. What an anti-climax that was let me tell you.

Anyway, so I'm using him to play EB0.74 more or less 24/7 pan-dimensionally so if I can help with 0.8 beta testing I can always put those fiord CAD's on hold for a century or two. Pick me!

Or............... I could use a big gun!

Sorry, that was a threat. I believe some people find them effective, but I'm afraid I've never been terribly good at them.

No job, no responsibilities, am awake for around 14 hours per day and would be willing to dedicate at least 4 a day to testing 0.8... Can't do anything other than test it and look for bugs/spelling errors though.

Not too bothered if you pick me or not, 0.8 will be released with or without my help.

(This post was serious)

Quote Originally Posted by Slartibardfast
    What a coincidence,

Deep Thought has finally after ten thousands years found the answer to life, the universe, and everything. What an anti-climax that was let me tell you.

Anyway, so I'm using him to play EB0.74 more or less 24/7 pan-dimensionally so if I can help with 0.8 beta testing I can always put those fiord CAD's on hold for a century or two. Pick me!

Or............... I could use a big gun!

Sorry, that was a threat. I believe some people find them effective, but I'm afraid I've never been terribly good at them.

First of all I would like to say that I too am a Hitchhikers fan and that post was bloody hilarious!

Second of all I would like to apply to be a beta tester. I am in Classical Archaeology, so I am learning new stuff about the Roman and Greek civs, as well as many others, daily. I am an arts student and have LOADS of free time in the evenings. I love EB and would gladly playtest any faction or section you order endlessly. And...I have a background, even if not a big one, in programming, modding, and scripting. I also have many friends in computer engineering who also love EB and though they have no time to play they would answer any questions I had. As an added bonus I am getting photoshop any day now so I can do skinning as well.

Please pick me!

I'll volunteer. My useful skills would be limited to text writing, unfortunately. However, I figure myself a passable writer with good research skills. And while I do have university-related work, I currently devote 1-4 hrs a day, 4-5 days a wk to playing .74. Pretty sure that'd go up if it was .8, know what I mean?

Good luck getting things figured out for the release.
    "The mere statement of fact, though it may excite our interest, is of no benefit to us, but when the knowledge of the cause is added, then the study of history becomes fruitful." -Polybios

"Audacity, always audacity!" Member Simmons's Avatar

I am more than willing to test I have a basic understanding of the basic RTW text files desc_strat , names, units, buildings (at least the recruitment part), and look forward to to understanding EB's recruitment system (whenever I get my hands on it) and I have been playing around with EB's background script lately so I am somewhat familiar with it although I have'nt really figured much out yet.

I have done some work before on a RTW tech support subforum mainly handling the repetitive bugs (install errors, corrupt downloads ect) while forwarding actual bugs to team members to deal with.

I do work full time so can only play 3-4 hrs a day during the week but weekends are quite free lately.

Heres hoping

“By push of bayonets, no firing till you see the whites of their eyes”
    - Friedrich der Große

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

A beta test for a beta??? That doesn`t make much sense.

I assure you, there will be information leaks. You can`t know who`s really responsible. My humble opinion is that you should only test it internally.

Plz, don`t pick me BTW.

Quote Originally Posted by k_raso
    A beta test for a beta??? That doesn`t make much sense.

I assure you, there will be information leaks. You can`t know who`s really responsible. My humble opinion is that you should only test it internally.

Plz, don`t pick me BTW.
    We need additional people to test it. We will pick people we think we can trust - but if they leak something, well, worse things happen at sea. We'll do as best we can though.

It makes sense to us at the stage we are at. We have a lot of members, but they can't spend all their time making content as well as playtesting things thoroughly. So we bring in maybe 5 folks or something (that's a guess; I've no idea how many it will be really, it could be more) to do some very active testing for us and they get to start playing the new build a little early and let us know what things still need help. If you don't like the "beta" title, we still haven't gotten to 1.0, so the build is still a beta from our point of view.

Somewhere out there Member vizigothe's Avatar

I am presently not playing any games so if you wanted I could do this. I can work my way through the text files and people tell me all their secrets because I never tell anyone other people's secrets.

Obviously I am bored and I have this computer so I should see if someone can put it to work for me.

Anyway off to bed I have a test tomorrow morning. (hurrah Wester Civ)
    In Pace Requiescat.

Smile Re: EB looking for betatesters!!

I would love to BETA test 0.8. I do have some basic experience with desc_strat, but I am a very fast learner and with correct training I could be able to do everything! Although above all things I can write descriptions if I have the correct historical information and sources and I can make good suggestions (I have been very active in the suggestions for 0.8 thread submitting 29 posts). I never leak secrets to anybody and I promise that I will lock the door and close the curtains when I play EB Closed BETA.

I have about two hours every day I can dedicate to EB, but at the weekend (particularly on a Sunday) I can play almost all day (1:00-5:00 Saturday 9:00-12:00 and 2:00 - 7:00 Sunday)

And I am also planning on getting photoshop so I could (with a little training and a few tutorials) skin.
    Last edited by MSB; 10-02-2006 at 19:27.

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

i'll beta test if you want... i have about 3-5 hours to do so a day depending on when i get to tired and just want to go to sleep
    i also have modding experience and have beta tested both blue lotus and (for a while until my BI disk stopped working) athurian: total war

I'd be interesting in Beta Testing, I have practically all the time in the world...no job and a light college scedule with little to no homework plus three day weekends where I could theoretically beta-test for eight hours or more each day.
    "This is a-radi-hi-iiic-ulous"-Zeek

I would be willing to help you on this. I have relatively good experience at reading code (or whatever its called, export descr unit,strat,buidlings and all that jazz). If i did get picked I would not leak anything as knowing and not telling is alot more fun. Im still in highschool though so I may not have a whole lot of comp time, but its the beginning of the year and i have no projects as of yet. Maby 2-5 hours a day a week on average.

Senior Member Senior Member Reenk Roink's Avatar

Reenkmeister has turned in his first batch of college papers and took his first group of tests, and so would really like to get back to EB.

I must confess, other than editing the data files here or there, I'm really no good at modding.

By the way:

Will beta-testers get lines to torture fans?

If trust is a qaulifying merit, I just want you guys to know I hold a Top Secret/SCI security clearance lol

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Krusader

As a further update, the biggest single thing that remains between now and the release of 0.8 is full integration of all currently completed units
    Excellent, but may I ask a few questions?

So, did the reinforcement CTD get fully fixed or not?

Also will or will there not be some placeholder general/captain and standard bearer skins in EB so we don't have to look at the vanilla models?
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

We're still working on the reinforcement CTD. Our main problem has been the disappearance of our trait team leader about three or four months ago. But quie honestly since Bozoslivehere showed up things have been moving a lot faster, and we've got some other newer guys to help out too.

I must ask though, did you ever get the reinforcement CTD in an EB campaign game?

Ive noticed a few CTDs after reinforcement battles during several campiagn gamers; auto-resolve is the only way to avoid them

Assistant Mod Mod Member GiantMonkeyMan's Avatar
    plymouth - scrubbing Beirut's toilet with a cat...

i've never had a CTD with EB at all... possibly one of the most stable 'beta's i've played

I was specifically asking the person who was asking us about it - though I didn't use the "quote" button, so I see whence the confusion came. I was under the impression that fallen hadn't played an EB campaign at all, so I was wondering if he had experienced one of our reinforcement CTD's himself.

I'm really tempted to sign up, but I wouldn't do a lot of good.

'My intelligence is not just insulted, it's looking for revenge with a gun and no mercy. ' - Frogbeastegg

SERA NIMIS VITA EST CRASTINA VIVE HODIE

The life of tomorrow is too late - live today!

Gin Tonic Drinker Member iberus_generalis's Avatar
    Scallabis (mordern Santarém)- Lusitania(modern Portugal)

i've got some skill at writting, skinning a bit but it could still get some improvement, .txt files editing...no scripting though, still trying to learn modeling but ain't got 3dsmax(i using blender)....i would like to be able to help, i would hope i had more skills i don't have the skills, but that's i've got at the moment... i do have some time up till the begining of november(then my clinical teaching period begins, all day long at the hospital, and the rest of the time, studying for the next day), being back to moding and RTW by the midle of December/begining of january up till the beginings of march....

if by chance you at EB deem me worthy, i would be honored to help and beta test...(pm me if that ocurs...=))
    Last edited by iberus_generalis; 10-02-2006 at 19:51.
    "Deep in Iberia there is a tribe that doesn't rule itself, nor allows anyone to rule it"Gaius Julius Caesar

artsy-fartsy type Member Discoskull's Avatar
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA, and I ain't no yank

This post does not exist.
    Last edited by Discoskull; 10-02-2006 at 19:28.
    EB.

Hi all,

almost exactly one year ago i (like many other people, too) announced myself to be part of the closed beta team of EB.
    I wasn't chosen ~:mecry (i think it was one of my first posts in this forum).
    Now i'm asking again: I would be an honour to me to be in the closed beta team:
    I have some freetime again (wrote my last exam on friday , faq update is going to come this week), and basic knowledge about the different RTW textfiles, especially the EB 0.74 ones (sprites and some different enhancement like grass mod and several tutorials of the scriptorium...).
    I know how to use the Vercingetorix tools
    I have advanced knowledge about PC in general (except programming).
    it doesn't look like, but my English is better than last time....

Nevertheless godd luck with your mod

Bonny

ps: if it goes like last time "when it's done" means between christmas and new year.....
    Last edited by Bonny; 10-02-2006 at 19:48.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

I'd love to help! I'm pretty good at finding errors and seeking them out. I have no skinning, modelling, or complex modding skills. Though I have edited a great many txt files in my own version of every mod I download.

Now sporting a classic avatar! Member fallen851's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Teleklos Archelaou
    I was specifically asking the person who was asking us about it - though I didn't use the "quote" button, so I see whence the confusion came. I was under the impression that fallen hadn't played an EB campaign at all, so I was wondering if he had experienced one of our reinforcement CTD's himself.
    Is this a cheap shot? I have in fact experienced a reinforcement CTD, based on someone's saved game. You can download saved games with the reinforcement CTD from the thread where the EB team asked for them.

What about the other questions I asked, particularly the one about the skins, whether or not we'll be see ugly vanilla skins?

Sometimes I wonder if you should google better insults TA...
    Last edited by fallen851; 10-02-2006 at 23:29.
    "It's true that when it's looked at isolated, Rome II is a good game... but every time I sit down to play it, every battle, through every turn, I see how Rome I was better. Not unanimously, but ultimately." - Dr. Sane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6eaBtzqqFA#t=1h15m33s

Hey, I'm perfectly capable of insulting someone without using google.

But yes, I was wondering if you had actually had a reinforcement CTD yourself - you stated that you have not played an EB campaign yet, so I was confounded by the apparently contradictory information. I didn't think of that as a cheap shot though; I did answer the question, right?

As for the "other questions" (makes it sound like I avoided a bunch, but there's only one other one that I can see), we are working on getting rid of the vanilla general skins, but I can't guarantee that they will all be gone by 0.8. I'm waiting on that just as anyone else is.

Prodder of Stuff Member Musopticon?'s Avatar

Add me in if you want an internal leak.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast