Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum Bibliography

Has anybody read "Reconstructing the Roman Republic: An Ancient Political Culture and Modern Research", by Karl J HolkesKamp (translation into English by Henry Heitmann-Gordon)? It seems to address an issue that I am most interested in at the moment (the shifting sands of political power and competition within the Roman Republic), but just wondering whether it offers any new insights/relevant discussion points that would make it worth purchasing.

Uergobretos Senior Member Brennus's Avatar

Can anyone recommend any good books on the Belgae (ideally in English or failing that French). The only thorough examination of the Belgae I know of so far is Les gaulois du nord de la gaule by Stephan Fichtl and i don't trust the writing of Daitha O hAigan in The Celts: A Chronological History as he claims the Catuvellauni were a Belgic rather than British tribe yet presents no evidence for this and their supposed c.300BC migration to Britain.

donated by ARCHIPPOS for being friendly to new people.
    donated by Macilrille for wit.
    donated by stratigos vasilios for starting new and interesting threads
    donated by Tellos Athenaios as a welcome to Campus Martius

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brennus View Post
    Can anyone recommend any good books on the Belgae (ideally in English or failing that French). The only thorough examination of the Belgae I know of so far is Les gaulois du nord de la gaule by Stephan Fichtl and i don't trust the writing of Daitha O hAigan in The Celts: A Chronological History as he claims the Catuvellauni were a Belgic rather than British tribe yet presents no evidence for this and their supposed c.300BC migration to Britain.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_in_Belgium

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    POST NUMBER THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asterix_in_Belgium

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    POST NUMBER THOUSAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~Fluvius
    Not just for the fact it made me laugh but the fact you decided to use your 1,000th post to do so.

No suggestions from people? I don't want to sound impatient, just trying to prevent this thread slipping out of view again.

http://www.bol.com/nl/p/engelse-boek...023/index.html

That's dutch amazon.com. The book was in my personal reccomendations. Has anyone read it? The bibliography book about Xenophon was writen by Waterfield too, I liked it very much.

Anyone have some more info of what exactly is covered? I guess from Alexander until the death of Seleukos I Nikator, or maybe further? This sounds like a fascinating book!

~Fluvius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Mulceber!

Hmm well, since nobody knew the book or bothered to comment, I've just ordered it and I will report on it when it arrives at the end of this week.

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

keep us, or at least me updated! i have interest in this book

Quote Originally Posted by fomalhaut View Post
    keep us, or at least me updated! i have interest in this book
    Well I'll update fast, the book was delivered two days ago, but my exams kept me from uploading these pictures.

This is the cover, the first impression I get from the book are very good.

The list of contents (if you got good eyes, 3.2 megapixel), I haven't started reading yet because I am currently reading another book (In the name of Rome).
    The book will span from Alexandros III Megas until Antigonos II Gonatas. And will focus mainly on the wars with a lot of detailed information.

Will Oudysseos deem this book worthy to enter his list?

What does everyone else think about it?

~Fluvius

1x From Mulceber!

The Poison King is good, but in general beware "best-selling" history books lol

I'd expect that to be the general rule

Quote Originally Posted by Sarkiss View Post
    finally, a book on Pontos on Mithridates VI Eupator: "Mithridates the Great, Rome's indomitable enemy"!

a long-overdue biography of one of the dominant figures of the first century BC
    written by an athour of bestselling "Ancient Rome on five denarii a day" and "Enemies of Rome", Philip Matyszak.

havent read it yet, just got it yeaterday as a birthday present from my wife. but so looking forward to reading it!
    Philip Matyszak also wrote a book called Legionary: The Roman Solder's Unofficial Manual, dwelt on the time of the 5 good emperors but entertaining though.

for the roman conquest of Greece and Carthage i recommend...
    The Dawn of Empire: Rome's Rise to World Power R M Errington,
    Last edited by Loofa; 07-06-2011 at 06:19. Reason: I can't spell

Strategos Autokrator Member Vasiliyi's Avatar

I went to an antique bookstore and found Warfare in the classical world by John Warry for $10. Its already in the bibliography, but I thought id put my two cents in. It has a lot of illustrations in it that look like the EB team used, and yet its an easy read. There are somethings in it that might be iffy*, but overall worth the buy.

*The spartan in the illustration has a corinthian style helmet. Though the description of his armor was set for 150 years before EB's time frame so this could possibly be correct. My greek history is fuzzy.

4x
    1x

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

It's not wrong for 5th century spartans, when hoplite warfare was still the main thing. Which meant that battles were very much two lines pushing. Later when battlefields became more dynamic the korinthian helmets which impaired the user's eyesight and hearing were replaced. As demonstrated by the konos wearing Spartians of EB

COYATOYPIKC Senior Member Flatout Minigame Champion Arjos's Avatar
    Prisoners upon this rock, flying without wings...

Does anyone know a book about, or with at least a chapter, the Aquitani?
    I've read a few about Keltoi, but so far none went as far as simply mention them...
    Last edited by Arjos; 07-14-2011 at 17:44.

Just scored the complete Landmark series; Herodotus, Thucydides, Arrian's Alexander, and Xenophon's Hellenika. These are highly annotated editions with lots of extras. Well worth it.
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Updated the first post a little. I want to point out that the the faction previews now usually include extensive bibliographies as well, and rather than make the first post even longer, I'd suggest that you all look there.

For example, this is the bibliography from the recent Taksashila preview:

Primary Sources

Aelian: De Natura Animalium

Arrianos: Anabasis Alexandri.

Arrianos: Indika.

Diodorus Siculus: Bibliotheca Historica.

Herodotos: Historiai.

Justin: Historiarum Phillipicarum.

Kautilya: Arthashastra

Megasthenes: Indika (fragments).

Quintus Curtius Rufus: Historiae Alexandri Magni.

Strabon: Geographia

Xenophon: Cyropaedia.

Secondary Sources:

Allchin, F.R. and Erdosy, G. (1995). The Archeology of Early Historic South Asia: The Emergance of Cities and States.

Altekar, A.S. (1962). State & Government in Ancient India.

Bhardwaj, H.C. (1978). Aspects of Ancient Indian technology.

Boesche, R. (2003). The First Great Political Realist.

Chakrabarti, D.K. (1976). “Rajagriha: An Early Historic Site in East India”, World Archeaology, 7(3).

Darian, S.G. (1970). “The Economic History of the Ganges to the End of Gupta Times”, Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient, 13(1).

Dhavalikar, M.K. (1975). “The beginning of Coinage in India”, World Archaeology, 6(3).

Egerton, W.E. (2002). Indian and Oriental Arms and Armour.

Fussman, G. (1988). “Les premiers systèmes d'écriture en Inde”, Annuaire du Collège de France, 1988-1989.

Gokhale, B.G. (1995). Ancient India: History and Culture.

Keay, J. (2000). India – A History.

Kosambi, D.D (1941). “On the Origin and Development of Silver Coinage in India”, Current Science, 9.

Kosambi, D.D. (1963). ”The Beginning of the Iron Age in India”, Journal of the Economic and Social History of the Orient, 6(3).

Kosambi, D.D. (1964). The Culture and Civilization of Ancient India in Historical Outline.

Majumdar, B.K. (1955). The Military System in Ancient India.

Majumdar, R.C. (1977). Ancient India.

Majumdar, R.C., Raychaudhuri, H.C., and Datta, K. (1960). An Advanced History of India.

Marshall, J. (1951). Taxila vol. I.

Parpola, A. (2004-2005). "The Nasatyas, the Chariot and Proto-Aryan Religion", Journal of Indological Studies nos. 16 & 17.

Rapson, E. (ed). (1955). Cambridge History of India (CHI).

Rawlinson, H.G. (1971) Intercourse between India and the Western World.

Sagar, K.C. (1992). Foreign Influence on Ancient India.

Salomon, R. (1995). “On the Origin of the Early Indian Scripts”, Journal of the American Oriental Society; 115(2).

Singh, S.D. (1965). Ancient Indian Warfare with Special Reference to the Vedic Age.

Smith, V.A. (1964) Aşoka, the Buddhist emperor of India.

Smith, V.A. (1914) The early history of India from 600 b.c. to the Muhammadan conquest, including the invasion of Alexander the Great.

Sparreboom, M. (1986) Chariots in the Veda.

Stein, B. (1998). A History of India.

Thapar, R. (2002). Early India: From the Origins to AD 1300.

Tripathi, R.S. (1967). History of Ancient India.

Wheeler, M. (1959). Early India and Pakistan.

Woodcock, G. (1966). The Greeks in India.

These are some of the sources used in the Sweboz preview:

References Cited

1987 Allen, C.S.M., Harman, M. and Wheeler, H.
    Bronze Age cremation cemeteries in the East Midlands, Proc. Prehist. Soc. 53, 187-222.

1995 Christie, Neil
    The Lombards: The Ancient Langobards, Oxford UK and Cambridge USA.

1979 Coles, J.M. and Harding A.F.
    The Bronze Age in Europe, London.

1985 Feger, R. and M. Nadler
    Beobachtungen zur urnenfelderzeitlichen Frauentracht. Vorbericht zur Ausgrabung 1983-84 in Grundfeld, Ldkr. Lichtenfels Oberfranken.

2000 Harding, A.F.
    European Societies in the Bronze Age, Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

1988 Keiling, Horst
    Die Herausbildung der germanischen Stämme (ab etwa 6.Jahrhundert v.u.Z.): Die Entstehung der Jastorfkultur und zeitgleicher Kulturen im Rhein-Weser-Gebiet und deren geographische Verbreitung. In: B.Krüger (ed.), pp. 86–105.

1986 Krüger, Bruno (ed.)
    Die Germanen. Geschichte und Kultur der germanischen Stämme in Mitteleuropa. Vol. II: Die Stämme und Stammesverbände in der Zeit vom 3.Jahrhundert bis zur Herausbildung der politischen Vorherrschaft der Franken. Veröffentlichungen des Zentralinstituts für Alte Geschichte und Archäologie der Akademie der Wissenschaften der DDR. Berlin: Akademie-Verlag.

1995 Künnemann, W.
    Jastorf: Geschichte und Inhalt eines archäologischen Kulturbegriffs, Die Kunde N. F. 46, 61-122.

1992 Meier-Arendt, W.
    Bronzezeit in Ungarn, Frankfurt am Main.

1981 Petersen, P.F.
    The Excavation of a Bronze Age Cemetery on Knighton Heath, Dorset. Oxford: British Archaeological Reports, British Series 98.

1999 Probst, E.
    Deutschland in der Bronzezeit, Bertelsmann, München.

1991 Reinecke, Andreas
    Studien zur vorrömischen Eisenzeit im Umland der südlichen Ostsee. Forschungsstand-Chronologie-Kulturhistorische Beziehungen. Ethnographisch-Archäologische Zeitschrift 21, 129-146.

2007 Schönfelder, Martin
    Bear-Claws in Germanic Graves. In Oxford Journal of Archaeology, Volume 13 Issue 2, 217 - 227.

2005 Ullrich, M.
    Das urnenfelderzeitliche Gräberfeld von Grundfeld/Reundorf, Lkr. Lichtenfels, Oberfranken, Materialhefte zur Bayrischen Vorgeschichte, Reihe B, Band 86.

1987 Verlinde, C.
    Berichten van de Rijksdienst voor Oudheidkundig Bodemonderzoek Die (Gräber und Grabfunde der späten Bronzezeit und frühe Eisenzeit in Overijssel).

1988 Voigt, Theodor
    Die germanischen Stämme bis zum Beginn unserer Zeitrechnung: Kult- und Bestattungswesen. In: B.Krüger (ed.), pp. 182-191.

1972 Wegewitz, W
    Das Langobardische brandgräberfeld von Putensen, Kreise Harburg.

And some sources for the Pritanoi:

Bibliography and web resources.

Iron Age Communities in Britain, Barry Cunliffe
    Facing the Ocean: The Atlantic and Its Peoples, 8000 BC to AD 1500 , Barry Cunliffe
    The Extraordinary Voyage of Pytheas the Greek: The Man Who Discovered Britain, Barry Cunliffe
    The Ancient Celts, Barry Cunliffe
    British Iron Age Swords and Scabbards, I.M. Stead
    The Brigantes: From Clientage to Conquest, W. S Hanson and D. B. Campbell, http://www.jstor.org/stable/526541
    Building an Iron Age British Chariot, Mike Loades
    Celtic Names and Roman Places, A. L. F. Rivet, http://www.jstor.org/stable/525666
    Thoughts on the evolution of Celtic societies and grand Celtic narratives, Raimund Karl
    Toward a Phylogenetic Chronology of Ancient Gaulish, Celtic, and Indo-European, Peter Forster and Alfred Toth, http://www.jstor.org/stable/3148350
    Gifts and Kin in Early Iron Age Europe, Chris Gosden, http://www.jstor.org/stable/2802442
    Visions of Power: Imagery and Symbols in Late Iron Age Britain, John Creighton, http://www.jstor.org/stable/526880
    ... on a road to nowhere ... ? Chariotry and the road systems in the Celtic World, Raimund Karl
    Middle Iron Age Warfare of the Hillfort Dominated Zone c. 400 BC to c. 150 BC, Jon Bryant Finney
    Kingdoms of the Celts, John Kin
    An Imperial Possession, D. Mattingly
    The Impact of Roman Rule on Native Society in the Territory of the Parisi, John S. Dent, http://www.jstor.org/stable/526339
    Prehistoric Britain, Timothy Darvill
    Explaining Ptolemy's Roman Britain, Alastair Strang, http://www.jstor.org/stable/526763
    The Britons, Christopher Snyder
    The Forts of Celtic Britain, Osprey
    The Scouring of the [Uffington] White Horse: Archaeology, Identity, and "Heritage",Philip Schwyzer ,http://www.jstor.org/stable/2902961
    The Iron Age in Northern Britain: Celts and Romans, Natives and Invaders, D. W. Harding
    Ancient Britain, James Dyer
    Excavations at Navan Fort, Co. Armagh, The Centre for Archaeological Fieldwork, Queen's University Belfast, Data Structure Report no. 13
    Understanding the British Iron Age, A Draft Report of a Working Party of members of the Iron Age Research Seminar
    The Celts: A History, Daithi O Hogain
    The Lords of Battle, Stephen Allen
    οἵη περ φύλλων γενεὴ τοίη δὲ καὶ ἀνδρῶν.
    Even as are the generations of leaves, such are the lives of men.
    Glaucus, son of Hippolochus, Illiad, 6.146

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011