Thread: Buildings & Settlements

Default Buildings & Settlements

A listing of some of the new building effects can be found here:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=73978

Prefixes
    guild_ makes the building unbuildable, but instead subject to rules defined in export_descr_guilds

temple_ as in Rome, only one temple_ structure can be built in a settlement

hinterland_ as in Rome, makes the building indestructable

Agent limits
    The building capability agent_limit allows you to alter the number of agents that can be recruited for each one of this type of building. The basic 'agent' capability simply allows this type of agent to be constructed with no limits.

Material
    This is believed to be used for the purposes of calculating the impact of stone_cost_bonus and stone_time_bonus (i.e. non-stone buildings don't get them).

Capabilities

• taxable_income_bonus displays correctly but has no effect
    • income_bonus doesn't display correctly (Instant income bonus %d florins +<bonus>) but it correctly adds the <bonus> as neat income coming from buildings.
    • trade_level_bonus doesn't display the bonus but it works (land trade only), even if the formula used is still a mistery to me (with a bonus of 1 a land trade income of 52 raised to 181).
    • trade_base_income_bonus doesn't display the bonus but it works (all kind of trades), the bonus appears to be a 10% on the trade income.
    • farming_level. Base farming level is set in descr_regions.txt and it gives 80 florins (average harvest) for each point. So each farming_level bonus point increase the incomes of 80 florins. Btw, there's no bonus points limit to 5, I managed to give 10 bonus points but it seems they don't add up if they're on different buildings (at least 10 points in the walls and 1 point in land clearance didn't add up in my test).
    • weapon_missile_mechanical displays correctly the bonus but whatever value you put there the retrained missile unit will gain 1 point in melee attack on its card. How this translate in real combat is left to further experiments (I wonder if it's the same as armor upgrades).
    • population_loyalty_bonus displays correctly the bonus but doesn't seem to work just like in RTW.

Hardcoded limits
    export_descr_building.txt
    Hidden resources - 64
    Number of complexes - 128
    Number of buildings in a chain - 9
    Last edited by alpaca; 12-08-2007 at 00:41.

Default Re: Buildings & Settlements

Now that we've got some of the moddable files, anyone care to wager a guess at what the numbers in the following line mean? there's no description in the file itself, so no easy read'n'change fiddling.

Code:
     recruit_pool "Dismounted Longbowmen"  1   0.7   6  0  requires factions { england, }
    the 6 seems pretty simple, as it's how many of the unit you can hold within the pool, but the 1, 0.7, and the 0 are kind of confusing me...anyone care to take a guess?
    Last edited by Shadow_Wolf33; 12-04-2006 at 23:23.
    Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Found it in that xls file Caliban provided us with (building effects):
    [starting_pool_float] [replenishment_rate_float] [max_units_float] [experience_int]

Default Buildings for both town & castle

Looking at the EDB, it seems that all vanilla buildings which exist in both types of settlement and are not destroyed on conversion actually have separate buildings paths defined.

e.g.

Code:
    building hinterland_roads
    {
        convert_to hinterland_castle_roads
        levels roads paved_roads 
        {
            roads city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } 
            {
                convert_to 0
                capability
                {
                    road_level 0
                }
                material wooden
                construction  1 
                cost  400 
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                    paved_roads
                }
            }
            paved_roads city requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } 
            {
                convert_to 1
                capability
                {
                    road_level 1
                }
                material wooden
                construction  3 
                cost  1200 
                settlement_min city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }
    building hinterland_castle_roads
    {
        convert_to hinterland_roads
        levels c_roads c_paved_roads 
        {
            c_roads castle requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } 
            {
                convert_to 0
                capability
                {
                    road_level 0
                }
                material wooden
                construction  1 
                cost  400 
                settlement_min town
                upgrades
                {
                    c_paved_roads
                }
            }
            c_paved_roads castle requires factions { northern_european, middle_eastern, eastern_european, greek, southern_european, } 
            {
                convert_to 1
                capability
                {
                    road_level 1
                }
                material wooden
                construction  3 
                cost  1200 
                settlement_min city
                upgrades
                {
                }
            }
        }
        plugins 
        {
        }
    }
    Note the "convert_to" lines - the first, immediately before the 'levels' declaration, signifies the parallel settlement type building path. The 'convert_to' lines under each building can be either the name of a building in the other settlement type building path, or the index number (base 0) of the comparable building type when defined before 'levels'.

Although I didn't see an existing example on a quick glance through the file, there is another way a building can be built in both settlement types and not destroyed on conversion - simply don't put "town" or "castle" after the building name / before 'requires factions'. I've done this with the bowyer-path and it works fine. What doesn't work, is to have some later levels specific to one settlement or the other; once the entry level building is available, it appears all upgrades can be made (and recruited from), whether the EDB says "castle" after the upgrade or not.

EDIT: Sorry, feel free to merge into the 'Buildings and Settlements' thread I noticed immediately after finishing the post. :)
    Last edited by redmark; 12-05-2006 at 00:01.

Thing I found really interesting is the new 'and event_counter' recruitment conditional. As I understand it, these events can be established in both the campaign script and descr_events.

This leads to complete control over when a unit becomes available - anything we can script can then lead into an event counter.

Another thing you'll notice is some guild hidden resources which aren't actually then used by the guild building itself. These apparently increase the likelihood of the guild being built there.

crusade, jihad and horde_target all equally mean regions with these hidden resources are more likely to be targeted.

BTW added some explanatory stuff to top post.
    Last edited by Epistolary Richard; 12-05-2006 at 01:50.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

blaaaaaaaaaarg! Senior Member Lusted's Avatar

Which means that a Roman era mod could have an accurate Marian reforms without all the complicated stuff we had to do in RTW to make them happen at 109bc.

Exactement! But far more than merely time conditionals - character conditionals, diplomatic conditionals, presence of faction conditionals... there's a heck of a lot there.
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Do you guys think that it would be possible to have an event_counter tied to an alliance ?
    To be more precise have something like the scots guard only recruitable by France once they get an alliance with Scotland, and only as long as they keep their alliance.
    This could lead to interesting modding possibilities with having the possibility to recruit foreign troops according to alliances, making an alliance worth the troubles needed to keep it.

Yes, I think this would be possible, as I said there is a diplomatic stance conditional. Have a look at the docudemon files. Look in the scripting thread
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=70885

Lusted, not just the Marian event but any event that effected the roman army .. usually military disasters.

What's needed is an event where everytime an army is massacred, the loser possibly reforms their army - out with old units, in with new .. even enemy unit types?

This seems more historically accurate.

R
    Rorarii

Camillus, Savior of Rome.

Default Re: Buildings for both town & castle

Would this work for stables? Instead of just building equestrian, having building equestrian_castle and building equestrian_city with the appropriate convert_to lines?

Edit: Tried it and my efforts say no. How did you do the boyer path?
    Last edited by irishron2004; 01-10-2007 at 05:04.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron2004
    Would this work for stables? Instead of just building equestrian, having building equestrian_castle and building equestrian_city with the appropriate convert_to lines?

Edit: Tried it and my efforts say no. How did you do the boyer path?
    That should work. Did you add the appropriate entries to the text folder?

I am trying to mod The Long Road mod. I do have the game unpacked so I have access to the unmodified files. The only thing I did in the EDB was make another "building equestrian" entry and named one " building equestrian_castle" and the other "building equestrian_city" with the convert_to lines for each. I edited the equestrian entries in descr_srtat to match.
    What I get for my efforts in the system.log.txt is "[data. invalid] [error] Building load failed as id "equestrian" not recognized" on four entries.
    Sorry for the handholding, but to which files in the text folder are you referring?

I'm referring to export_buildings.txt
    That error message is a bit strange though, do a windows search for files containing "equestrian" to get an idea of what you need to change.

I tried a quick edit of the export_buildings.txt with the same results. The error message i listed earlier happened when I tried to load a saved game. The changes so far are not save compatible. Looks like I have my work cut out for me on my next weekend. This will probably include the unit card folders.

No, they're not save-game compatible. I should maybe mention that somewhere in a tutorial. You can basically assume that most things you mod will not be save-game compatible (everything that is is an anomaly ;))

The error crops up because settlements say they have a building called "equestrian", but since you removed that, the game doesn't know what to make of it.

I have removed the "castle" from the missile buildings to see if they could be built by both city and castle. So far, this will let you build a boyer in a city but will not upgrade. In this configuration for equestrian buildings, if you convert a castle with a stables, it will keep it, but it will not upgrade and will not start in a city.

In trying to give both cities and castles stables, I have modded building_battle.txt, export_building.txt, export_descr_buildings.txt, copied and renamed the appropiate ui subfolders and the techtree subfolders. To my dismay they still do not show up in the building window. The system.log.txt gives no clue. RTW had afile that tied all this together but I don't see it right now. About the onle things that I have not edited are advice and ancillaries.

Here are a few things I have learned:
    1. Equestrian buildings can be built in cities 2 ways,
    a. Remove the castle label from each building and remove the building_present_min at the end after the factions.
    b. If you want different units for city and castle, need a new set of buildings just like the castle ones with the city label. You have to also change the building_present_min.
    Export_descr_buildings.txt and export_buildings.txt. have to match. Also need cards in ui/<faction name>/buildings to match names.
    2. The above also works for giving cities missile buildings and castles market buildings and taverns.
    3. There is a thread for adding highways and it does work. Same as 1b.

Ok, here we goes with some discoveries (1.1 patch, PIF values in descr_settlement_mechanics.xml set to 1.0):

- taxable_income_bonus displays correctly but has no effect

- income_bonus doesn't display correctly (Instant income bonus %d florins +<bonus>) but it correctly adds the <bonus> as neat income coming from buildings.

- trade_level_bonus doesn't display the bonus but it works (land trade only), even if the formula used is still a mistery to me (with a bonus of 1 a land trade income of 52 raised to 181).

- trade_base_income_bonus doesn't display the bonus but it works (all kind of trades), the bonus appears to be a 10% on the trade income.

- farming_level. Base farming level is set in descr_regions.txt and it gives 80 florins (average harvest) for each point. So each farming_level bonus point increase the incomes of 80 florins. Btw, there's no bonus points limit to 5, I managed to give 10 bonus points but it seems they don't add up if they're on different buildings (at least 10 points in the walls and 1 point in land clearance didn't add up in my test).

- weapon_missile_mechanical displays correctly the bonus but whatever value you put there the retrained missile unit will gain 1 point in melee attack on its card. How this translate in real combat is left to further experiments (I wonder if it's the same as armor upgrades).

- population_loyalty_bonus displays correctly the bonus but doesn't seem to work just like in RTW.
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; 04-11-2007 at 08:44.

Question Re: Buildings & Settlements

Does anyone have the full grammar for the export_descr_buildings.txt file?
    It would save a lot of time.
    Forums are good for sharing questions, wikis are good for sharing answers:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Check out the Online ETW Data in the Totalwar.org wiki.

Most of it can be found in Dol Guldur's (I hope I recall the author correctly) "Ultimate EDB guide" in the RTW scriptorium. There's some new stuff like the event_counter requirement but it should tell you most things.

Quote Originally Posted by Modding Forum
    [*]trade_level_bonus doesn't display the bonus but it works (land trade only), even if the formula used is still a mistery to me (with a bonus of 1 a land trade income of 52 raised to 181).
    This is the bonus you get from building roads, Not normally displayed as it is part of road level it seems. Not sure if it stacks with "road level" but i used it in RTW for desert regions where i'd disallowed roads and added this to a "caravan stop" type building. I think it's a 100% bonus for paved roads and 150% for highways and this bonus follows that pattern IIRC
    It's not a map.

EB2 Baseless Conjecturer Member blacksnail's Avatar

I have no idea if this thread is still being updated, but the max number of buildings allowed in a complex is actually 9.

Quote Originally Posted by blacksnail
    I have no idea if this thread is still being updated, but the max number of buildings allowed in a complex is actually 9.
    Yeah, fits my observations.