Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Feedback & Campaign reports

Default Re: Feedback & Campaign reports

Thanks R`as.

I guess the first suggestion that comes to mind is about the Portuguese Teppo. I think in the original STW, the Portuguese arquebusiers were an early access firearms unit which came with a price (acceptance of christianity). I think it would be a good to put the PTeppo back into this kind of context and perhaps increase the effectiveness of the firearms to reflect their historical value. In MTW, they were probably more novelty units than anything else, but in Japan, the firearm had an instant impact on the nature of warfare. Maybe this trend towards guns could be shown more in the campaign, perhaps forcing the player to seriously think about adopting the same tactics (I know I for one hardly ever used the gun units in the original STW, simply never felt that they were a threat to the traditional units).

Ok, I hope I didn`t squeeze too much into that suggestion!
    Garlic bread? Bread, with garlic in it? - Peter Kaye

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aokubi
    Thanks R`as.

I guess the first suggestion that comes to mind is about the Portuguese Teppo. I think in the original STW, the Portuguese arquebusiers were an early access firearms unit which came with a price (acceptance of christianity). I think it would be a good to put the PTeppo back into this kind of context and perhaps increase the effectiveness of the firearms to reflect their historical value.
    Okay I 've to make some interpretation here as I'm not 100% sure if I understand correctly.
    1. You'd like to have the firearms earlier.
    2. You'd like to see a connection to religion like in original S:TW.
    3. You'd like to have the effectiveness increased.

In S:TW you had to wait for the Portuguese to arrive in your province and accept a change of religion to get the firearms. This is not provided by the engine of M:TW. We can only tie the access to a certain date or to a religion/ faction. Changing a factions religion in game is not possible. But, I do agree that getting the firearm units takes rather long in campaign play. So we may make them available earlier. I could also imagine different eras for the final version of the mod, where you could start off with firearms available from the start.
    The stats of the units have been worked on for literally years and are close to perfect. But they are mainly tailored for Multiplayer. We've since the beta_7 seperated eras and stats for Multiplayer and SP campaign. So we can make changes to the campaign play without affecting the MP part too much. However the projectile stats are used by all eras and increasing the effectiveness of any teppo will effect MP gameplay. A workaround would be to provide a seperate projectile file that those who don't play MP can use.

Have you played to the stage where firearms are available? I did some playtesting and long auto-run tests to ensure that the AI trains them and was quite satisfied with the results. A problem is that teppos are missile units and thus are played with the "skirmish mode on" on default. The AI doesn't know that the teppos are meant to be used in "close formation" and I can't teach it. But the Ai does use them quite well under the given circumstances.

So, there're a lot of details to consider and before we alter their stats I'd also like to hear some more opinions.

R'as

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Ah, right. Well, what I mean is, for the Portuguese Teppo to be an early firearm unit (available a good few turns before the Japanese teppo), but with a catch (a religious one).
    I started to tinker with Beta 5 a while (just to tailor it more to my own prefs) and I managed to get the Jesuit Church and cathederal in the game and used them as prerequisites for the Portuguese teppo. As you said, it`s not possible to change religion in MTW, but I did manage to get the buildings to produce penalties (as well as bonuses - for incentive). It`s not perfect (you can end up with 100% of the people following different faiths!), but at least it gives the Portuguese units that 'early gunpowder units, but with complications', feel.
    So, its not to have the guns earlier (I kind of like long games anyway), just really to restore the Portuguese Teppo as the earliest unit, which the player has to make a decision whether to use them is worth the associated hassle.

Hmm, I forgot about the MP projectile stats. I take your point there.

Yeah, I`ve played to the late era, and I`m not so much talking about the battle behaviour, (I know there`s not much scope for influencing that, but I' pretty happt with MTW`s default behaviour anyway) but more the distribution of the units. It seems the AI builds a few here and there, but doesn`t seem to rely on them too heavily as battle winning units. They're usually outnumbered or equalled by archers.

Just a note, I also added the LateAshiYari back in as a kind of pike unit to support the teppo in their era. They seem to work pretty well as a kind of cavalry screen.

Hope I explained myself a bit better there.

The guns are more powerful than they were in STW v1.12. The Portuguese teppo is equivalent to the musket in STW v1.12, and the Japanese teppo is 50% stronger. If troop morale is getting too high in the campaign, the guns will loose their ability to rout enemy units. Units of morale 8 or higher won't be routed by guns. We could lower the morale of all the SP units to offset excessive morale boosting by campaign bonuses.

I think the reason it's taking a long time for guns to become available is because the campaign starts in 1470. The STW v1.12 campaign started in 1530, and the Portuguese arrive in 1545. I think it wasn't until the Battle of Nagashino in 1575 that guns demonstrated high effectiveness, and that was when they were protected by palisades and samurai and they were shooting at cavalry which was charging up an embankment and across wet ground.
    Last edited by Puzz3D; 10-07-2006 at 01:16.

_________Designed to match Original STW gameplay.

Beta 8 + Beta 8.1 patch + New Maps + Sound add-on + Castles 2

I never thought to compare the stats to those in STW 1.12. I never really used the gun units in STW, and I didn`t feel that they posed much of a threat when the ai used them, so I suppose my memory of the STW units is a little bit dim. But maybe offsetting the morale is a good idea though, the VnV's make a big contribution to morale, which of course STW didn`t have.

I don`t think it takes a long time for the guns to become available (SW Mod = 73 turns, STW = 60 turns), I just think it would be good to have the Portuguese teppo available as the earliest (but least effective, as you said, Nagashino was the first time they were utilised well) firearms unit. Maybe putting them in the high era & pushing the Japanese Teppo up to the Late.

R'as,

I have a Takeda 1515 campaign savegame that crashes at the point where the date is about to change to 1517.

No idea what might cause this.
    I checked the date and there's a hero coming at age in 1516 but his name is defined....

Please send it to me.

R'as

Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Castles in SWb7, Easy difficulty: after playin vanilla MTW for a while, are on par with MTW castles of equal difficulty. Maybe just a touch easier.
    "Fighting for peace is like screwing for virginity...
    ... the product of screwing being newborn virgins and the product of pacification wars being peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Irinami
    Castles in SWb7, Easy difficulty: after playin vanilla MTW for a while, are on par with MTW castles of equal difficulty. Maybe just a touch easier.
    Ok. Thanks. I have increased the number of towers on the castles. These will be available with the fixed STW maps in Beta 8. The maps and castles are all finished, and we're just waiting for an installer to be finished that will clear the /battle/maps folder before installing the new maps and textures.

Default Paranoia

...am I the only one who cant stand for there to be envoys/princesses in his provinces? I KNOW they are up to no good......so I counterspy each and every province then produce some extra ninja and start cleaning. Of course if there is someone from a clan that i want to deal with in my province I wait until they can contact me.....then they die. Then when my provinces are clear I figure my neighbors want that same sense of security......so I clean their provinces as well. And well....since `I` dont trust their people...well better safe than sorry.
    D

Some things I've noticed.... there are still some ports that weren't placing ships that were just produced into the right places. This happened in Satsuma and Osumi where ships from the former were placed in the yatsushiyo sea, while ships from the latter where placed in kagoshima bay. I noticed a map was also looking weird, it was on Suruga with me on the defensive a stone castle in place.

But... this is still a great mod in my eyes! The campaign was done brilliantly with every faction balanced and the AI itself improved a great deal. Congratulations again to everyone!!

Edit: Oh, and do the Kensai really come in one-man units??
    Last edited by Arciel; 10-30-2006 at 13:15.
    I want to bathe in their blood...I want to bathe in their blood for a week!-Freaky Roman General

Formerly Seedexodus...not that anyone cares

Quote Originally Posted by Seedexodus
    Some things I've noticed.... there are still some ports that weren't placing ships that were just produced into the right places. This happened in Satsuma and Osumi where ships from the former were placed in the yatsushiyo sea, while ships from the latter where placed in kagoshima bay.
    I haven't worked on this part of the mod. Maybe R'as can look into it.

I noticed a map was also looking weird, it was on Suruga with me on the defensive a stone castle in place.
    All the MTW and VI maps will be removed by the beta8 install, so weird maps won't be possible. I will be rechecking the border info and making sure that there are maps for all border combinations since that is what determines which map is used in a battle. If you know where the attack came from when you were defending Suruga, I'd be interested in knowing that.

Oh, and do the Kensai really come in one-man units??
    Yes.

Puzz, thanks for the reply. I figure that the ship issue might be caused by border placement faults.
    I want to bathe in their blood...I want to bathe in their blood for a week!-Freaky Roman General

Some things I've noticed.... there are still some ports that weren't placing ships that were just produced into the right places. This happened in Satsuma and Osumi where ships from the former were placed in the yatsushiyo sea, while ships from the latter where placed in kagoshima bay.
    Several port bugs have been reported. They'll be fixed in beta_8.
    I've just tested a fix for Satsuma and Osumi. They work correctly now.

I noticed a map was also looking weird, it was on Suruga with me on the defensive a stone castle in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    All the MTW and VI maps will be removed by the beta8 install, so weird maps won't be possible. I will be rechecking the border info and making sure that there are maps for all border combinations since that is what determines which map is used in a battle. If you know where the attack came from when you were defending Suruga, I'd be interested in knowing that.
    Yes, some maps are still messed up in beta_7. That's because they're labelled ARID or ROCKY_DESERT. We've only changed LUSH and TEMPERATE climates.
    In the new beta_8 there'll be only LUSH and TEMPERATE climates. They effect only the chosen battle maps. Since we have changed the textures to the original STW set, that offers only one set instead of 4, we'll only use them in the future. So all border combinations will be set to to LUSH and TEMPERATE.
    For Suruga there're 6 ARID borders defined in beta_7. beta_8 will set those to LUSH or TEMPERATE.
    For a future version we could think about installing the same STW textures into all climate folders. We could then use all climates and have different weather and rain expections all on the same textures set.

But... this is still a great mod in my eyes! The campaign was done brilliantly with every faction balanced and the AI itself improved a great deal. Congratulations again to everyone!!
    We'll drop a few factions in beta_8 to make it less crowded and tune down the general stars (again).
    Personally I think that even the Normal campaign is very hard to play for most factions, especially those that have poor provinces. Personally I like to play Takeda and it's very hard to expand.

I've edited the support cost and initial costs for SP units and am testing those at the moment. Running the campaign map in auto play i've noticed that after about 20 turns most factions are dirt poor.

R'as

Quote Originally Posted by R'as al Ghul
    Several port bugs have been reported. They'll be fixed in beta_8.
    I've just tested a fix for Satsuma and Osumi. They work correctly now.
    Great! It's really not that much of a problem though but it does cause some annoyances in moving ships around..

We'll drop a few factions in beta_8 to make it less crowded and tune down the general stars (again).
    Personally I think that even the Normal campaign is very hard to play for most factions, especially those that have poor provinces. Personally I like to play Takeda and it's very hard to expand.

I've edited the support cost and initial costs for SP units and am testing those at the moment. Running the campaign map in auto play i've noticed that after about 20 turns most factions are dirt poor.

R'as
    Now that you mention it, central Japan does seem a bit crowded with the eastern factions needing to get into a major war before gaining any new territories.

And it's not only the AI that goes dirt poor within the first 20 turns, I usually also go in the red within the first 10...But that's just me.

Now that you mention it, central Japan does seem a bit crowded with the eastern factions needing to get into a major war before gaining any new territories.

And it's not only the AI that goes dirt poor within the first 20 turns, I usually also go in the red within the first 10...But that's just me.
    It was a bit of a showoff. We were exited to have that many factions.

One has to play very aggressively in this campaign. And Sengoku Jidai is Total war after all. Of course you need to get into major war if you want to be Shogun.
    For factions like Shimazu it's rather easy but Amako or Sanada are very hard. It's a tough calculation between support cost for troops and province income. Although one starts with full coffers troops are expensive. It's adviable to check your income/expense data sheet from time to time. When you have negative income you need to expand but that could mean losing an alliance and stretching the forces thinner.
    Usually, when one neighbour notices that you're attacking somebody else and one of your provinces is only protected by a small force, they'll backstab you and invade. Almost always.
    In my experience the AI understands the value of certain units very well and handles them good in battle.

R'as

In my experience the AI understands the value of certain units very well and handles them good in battle.

R'as
    Yep. I've won(fortunately) in almost all of my battles against the AI but at a great cost. The kill ratio is consistently at 1:1 or even greater, in favor of the AI. Most of my old tactics that were quite succesful in vanilla MTW VI are near useless here. You guys have created a monster here!

Most of my old tactics that were quite succesful in vanilla MTW VI are near useless here. You guys have created a monster here!
    I just gave it some teeths.
    The engine is actually quite good but not optimized in vanilla M:TW, imho.

R'as

I just gave it some teeths.
    The engine is actually quite good but not optimized in vanilla M:TW, imho.

R'as
    Veeery sharp teeth... Anyway, I've been experiencing some random and unexplainable ctd's. When I load the game up to before the ctd, it doesn't repeat at the same turn but occurs again sometime later. It just might be my comp acting up again though.

Anyway, I've been experiencing some random and unexplainable ctd's. When I load the game up to before the ctd, it doesn't repeat at the same turn but occurs again sometime later. It just might be my comp acting up again though.
    Nooooooooooooooooooo!
    I was afraid that someone would say that because Yuuki and I had it before, too. Until now I thought that editing/modding the game can cause CTD's and of course there's the well known savegame bug but now I can't be sure anymore.
    The thing is that I can't record all the minor details that may lead to a CTD. I can't reproduce them and thus can't fix them. I've the theory that the names of the Kings and Heroes could be bugged but the files look okay.
    There's a workaround, though. If you know at what point it crashes you can press ' or # at the end of the turn (you need to run the game with the -ian command). That gives control over your faction to the AI and does sometimes help to skip the critical point.
    I tested this on Puzz3D's corrupted savegame and after a few turns it went fine again.
    GAH!

R'as

Hey, don't fret over it. It happened to me while I was trying to exit to the main menu to start a new campaign and while I was hitting the end turn button in another campaign. And it is quite random... I have no idea myself what might be causing it.

There's a workaround, though. If you know at what point it crashes you can press ' or # at the end of the turn (you need to run the game with the -ian command). That gives control over your faction to the AI and does sometimes help to skip the critical point.
    I tested this on Puzz3D's corrupted savegame and after a few turns it went fine again.
    My problem wasn't a CTD. It was a freezing of the game just before the date was about to change and it would be my turn to move.

I used the # command to let the AI take over my clan for a move, and that got me past the problem and the campaign is running ok since then. One thing I noticed was that during the turn the AI had my clan it started building 2 new buildings. This wasn't good because my clan only had about 3000 koku. This is no doubt why the AI clans have no money after a while. The AI spends its money on buildings when it should keep a reserve for emergency training. If an AI clan looses a rich province, it quickly goes into debt, and can't train any new troops to replace losses.

Quote Originally Posted by Puzz3D
    One thing I noticed was that during the turn the AI had my clan it started building 2 new buildings. This wasn't good because my clan only had about 3000 koku. This is no doubt why the AI clans have no money after a while. The AI spends its money on buildings when it should keep a reserve for emergency training. If an AI clan looses a rich province, it quickly goes into debt, and can't train any new troops to replace losses.
    Shows just how inexperienced I am. I'm actually acting just like the AI here, I can't resist queing a new building if I see an empty slot.

First, let me say Amazing Mod!!!! I'm having so much fun with this - brings back great memories of the glory days of STW.

If you're still looking for campaign feedback, I have some constructive comments (that you should feel free to ignore - you guys probably know much, much more about this than I do)...

1 - A cap on the stars given to generated heroes (maybe 5 or 6 stars?), so that anything above that would really have to be earned (either in battle or by using prov titles). In looking over the forum I see that this issue has been worked on, but I think a little more could still be done (something about running into a 9 star general enemy just gives me nightmares :-) )

2 - Fewer mercenaries (and maybe of lesser quality). Maybe this is an exploit, but I find that using merc armies I can overpower the AI. If the number can't be lessened, maybe make them a bit more expensive, limit it so that you can only access them if you're actively engaged in a war, or make the building required to hire them either a level up (border fort over watchtower), or raise the price/ and or build time of those buildings.

3 - Place rebel armies in rebel provinces. I appreciate that the mod keeps the original Shogun flavor by having rebel provinces be empty, but I think it makes expansion too easy. If there were rebel armies, it would add to the complexity/strategy required and would also allow players to bribe those armies (I always find that bribe successful message so invigorating!)

But these minor issues do nothing to diminish my enjoyment of this great mod!!!! Keep up the great work guys and a beta 8 would make my year!!! (Not sure what that says about my life :-) )

I did notice one other thing, but I'm not sure what to make of it. Playing on Expert as Mogami I was a good ten or twelve years in - at least 1481 or 1482 and though I had fought Date and others, there had been NO other wars... So I matteosartori'ed it to see what was developing, and although there had been some expansion into rebel areas, there were a lot of alliances, but no AI v AI battles. Is there a way to tweak or increase AI aggressiveness?

Thanks again.
    I really appreciate all the work that has gone into this.
    This mod is a ton of fun.
    You guys rock!!!

If at any point you need any more beta-testers, I'd love to help out.

- amarok

Quote Originally Posted by amarok
    If you're still looking for campaign feedback, I have some constructive comments
    Yes. We've been a bit bogged down trying to get the new animations working in MP, but the good news is it looks like R'as has gotten them working now.

1 - A cap on the stars given to generated heroes (maybe 5 or 6 stars?), so that anything above that would really have to be earned (either in battle or by using prov titles). In looking over the forum I see that this issue has been worked on, but I think a little more could still be done (something about running into a 9 star general enemy just gives me nightmares :-) )
    Right. I think they are still too high. Testing a preliminary beta8 which may still be a beta7 in this regard, as Takeda I had a 5 star general to start, and when I gave him a title he became a 9 star general. This title gave 4 command stars, and maybe that's what should be reduced.

2 - Fewer mercenaries (and maybe of lesser quality). Maybe this is an exploit, but I find that using merc armies I can overpower the AI. If the number can't be lessened, maybe make them a bit more expensive, limit it so that you can only access them if you're actively engaged in a war, or make the building required to hire them either a level up (border fort over watchtower), or raise the price/ and or build time of those buildings.
    They do give you a big offensive punch instantaneously, and I used them to advantage to expand rapidly once I decided to attack in a beta7 Takeda campaign which essentially gave me a won position. I think fewer mercenaries would make the campaign harder, and that might be desireable. I'm not sure if the strategic AI knows how to use them.

3 - Place rebel armies in rebel provinces. I appreciate that the mod keeps the original Shogun flavor by having rebel provinces be empty, but I think it makes expansion too easy. If there were rebel armies, it would add to the complexity/strategy required and would also allow players to bribe those armies (I always find that bribe successful message so invigorating!)
    You can take the province, but then you have to garrison it. In a Takeda campaign, the ones you can get early aren't very valuable.

I did notice one other thing, but I'm not sure what to make of it. Playing on Expert as Mogami I was a good ten or twelve years in - at least 1481 or 1482 and though I had fought Date and others, there had been NO other wars... So I matteosartori'ed it to see what was developing, and although there had been some expansion into rebel areas, there were a lot of alliances, but no AI v AI battles. Is there a way to tweak or increase AI aggressiveness?
    If the AI becomes too aggressive, the AI clans will beat themselves back into the stone age. I think the AI clans are dangerous when they are building up and waiting for a weakness at which to strike. You have to maintain the pace of the Ai clan's strategic buildup so that they won't attack you. Further into the campaign you will see AI vs AI wars, and that's what gives me the opportunity in a Takeda campaign to expand beyond Kii, Sagami and Musahi.

If at any point you need any more beta-testers, I'd love to help out.
    Thanks for the feedback. R'as takes care of these strategic gameplay issues. I'm not sure how much he can affect these particular issues with adjustments. Once beta8 is out, which will be soon, some major technical issues will be behind us, and we can focus more on gameplay issues. Testing the campaign is just a matter of having the latest beta version and playing it. We test MP on Sundays at 19:00 gmt.

I've now set the office titles to give a max of 2 command stars.
    I'm considering to set the command star bonus for province titles to zero.
    Heroes will be set to a max of 4 stars, so with title that makes 6*.
    Kings will have higher max stars, about 4-6, because they can't be boosted by titles.

2. I'll look into it.
    3. You could bribe rebel armies, giving you an extra bonus. I'll consider it.
    4. Erm, Iirc the beta_7 map was a bit crowded? 1482 isn't far into the campaign, it's still early game. It takes a bit time for the AI to make first moves, it's dangerous to attack when being under constant threat from all sides. All factions are set to aggressive expansionists, though. when I start an autorun campaign it looks like this in 1492:
    Amako - Taira
    Asai - Hosokawa
    Hatakeyama - Satake
    Hoganji - Oda, Maeda
    Honda - Tokugawa
    Hosokawa - Asai, Maeda
    Minamoto - Mori
    Uesugi - Mogami
    etc.
    The list goes on but I stop here.

Thanks for your support.

R'as

I'm playing a Takeda campaign with beta8 on normal difficulty. I'm at 1526 (59 turns into the campaign) and it has been quite difficult. I expanded from the initial 2 provinces to 4, but lost one to a civil war. Now 2 clans have been attacking me in Kii for a while, and I'm being worn down. The battles have been very good. The reduction in command stars seems to be working well. I attacked a castle, and that worked properly, but it seems the castle was a 3rd level castle when it should have been a 2nd level castle. I'll have to investigate this more. The initial 24 clans have been reduced to 19, and most clans are at war with at least one other clan. Clans around me have definitely weakened themselves by war, but I don't have the military strength to take advantage of it.

A few suggestions concerning the strategic game:

The rebelliousness of edge provinces could be increased especially those of Tohoku (Dewa & Mutsu) as they create a huge "edge effect" and in my experience campaign winners come from there (essentially a cookie cutter: take Echigo, then Dewa then Mutsu = 50% Shogun campaign wise). This should balance better the strategic game as they will either have to be garrisoned more heavily or else create trouble if their owners expand while neglecting them and only collect taxes.

Japan being a squashed elipsoid, whoever conquers a rich edge is bound to win as he has only one way to go (single front wars) and his back covered. His chances of survival are increased by much if things go wrong. This is what is happening 90% in my SWs and original Shogun campaigns. Kyushu (southern island) is a less dangerous place in that respect as it is much less rich. Historically Tohoku was a sort of backwater place and i have no clue why these provinces are the richest in the original game. The lands Hojo occupy however were indeed as rich as they are portrayed in SWs/STW and in fact gave Ieyasu the advantage when he accepted Hideyoshi's offer to trade his provinces (Mikawa, Totomi, Suruga and Shinano) with those (Hideyoshi was looking to get him as far from the Kyoto/Osaka centre as possible in order to reduce his influence - however his plan backfired as Ieyasu became the single richest daimiyo in the country able to challenge any coallition).

Sad to see Tokugawa off the starting list but it is fair enough and historically accurate.

The "large wooden" castles are in proportion and they look much better, a great plus.

Less command stars = great campaigns!

The battles are simply sheer joy to play, be it Sp or Mp.

All in all: Otskare sama! (Well done in nihongo)

I survived another 100 turns until 1629. There were about 6 clans left at that point, and Uesugi was the largest and strongest owning the entire southern half of the map. I've started another Takeda campaign, and will play more aggressively this time. I'll also pay more attention to disbanding low loyalty taishos.

I don't feel well, can hardly concentrate.

About the disloyal taishos....is it something that we need to fix?
    You do know that by marrying off princesses and giving titles you
    can increase their loyalty?
    Interesting to hear that Uesugi survived, in my games he was almost always conquered by Mogami or Date. Satake and Satomi can also become very powerful.
    Do we need to change the province income? I'd like the map to be fair, meaning that all clans should have the possibility to rise to power.
    BTW, farming upgrades boost the income considerably.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast