Thread: Recommendations for a history mag?

Default Recommendations for a history mag?

Any recommendations for a monthly history mag something along the lines of National Geographic, not specific to any time period or culture, which could throw up an interesting article now and then. One qualification nothing to do with dressing up in SS uniforms or strange hidden agendas.

Thanks in advance.

EB Unit Dictator/Administrator Member Urnamma's Avatar

Default Re: Recommendations for a history mag?

None of the good Journals are monthy.

I reccommend Journal of Roman Antiquity, but it's quarterly.
    'It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets.'
    ~Voltaire
    'People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid. ' - Soren Kierkegaard
    “A common danger tends to concord. Communism is the exploitation of the strong by the weak. In Communism, inequality comes from placing mediocrity on a level with excellence.” - Pierre-Joseph Proudhon

EB Unit Coordinator

Thanks for that I will look it up,I was thinking more along the lines of general history imagining perhaps in one issue an article on the American Civil War another article on Louis VIII whatever, you come across something or someone of interest and could pursue it elsewhere.

Anyhow thats my master plan.

You can make one, I will gladly contribute with articles, especially if paid;-)
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus
    Thanks for that I will look it up,I was thinking more along the lines of general history imagining perhaps in one issue an article on the American Civil War another article on Louis VIII whatever, you come across something or someone of interest and could pursue it elsewhere.

Anyhow thats my master plan.
    Two I've found that are rather nice are at

http://www.historynet.com/magazines/military_history

and

http://www.archaeology.org/

Quote Originally Posted by Kal
    Thanks for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille
    You can make one, I will gladly contribute with articles, especially if paid;-)
    I suppose I could,But since we would be entering a very competitive market, lets say one potato per 200 words and perhaps an extra cabbage if your article is the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Modestus
    I suppose I could,But since we would be entering a very competitive market, lets say one potato per 200 words and perhaps an extra cabbage if your article is the cover.
    Throw in a turnip and you have a deal!

While not historical per se, Archaeology Maganize is a bimonthly publication that occasionally has articles that you may be interested in. It's not all classical archaeology, though-- it covers the whole world and a long timeframe, so there will be, say, an article on Polynesian expansion next to an article on Civil War battlefields. I'd recommend at least checking it out if you're not familiar with it. archaeology.org is their site.

Well, it's not yet reached the publishing stage quite yet, but once it does I suspect it will be quite good indeed:

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtop...b2edb09494807b

It will only be published bi-monthly, but otherwise it seems to fit the bill quite nicely. Also, if you are truly interested, the publisher is still looking for ideas and contributors before finalizing the format

thanks,
    Iskandr