Thread: AGP Socket

Medical Welshman in London. Senior Member Big King Sanctaphrax's Avatar
    Cardiff in the summer, London during term time.

Default AGP Socket

I was recently browsing some of the programs provided with my new graphics card which serve up info on said device, when I noticed that that its AGP status was marked 'disabled'. This confused me, as the card is an AGP version of the 7600 GT and is running well. So, is this a mistake (surely the card wouldn't run if my AGP port were disabled?) and if it isn't, how do I enable it?
    Co-Lord of BKS and Beirut's Kingdom of Peace and Love.

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Default Re: AGP Socket

Which program were you using? Some of them don't detect all hardware correctly.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."

AGP being disabled means that AGP texture acceleration is disabled. I'm not sure why this would be.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Could it be that your MB has an onboard video card and that's the one is disabled?
    Unto each good man a good dog

Nope, no onboard vid card.

Caravel, would AGP texture acceleration being disabled entail a big performance hit?

"Handsome features, rugged exteriors, intellectual chick magnets, we're pretty much twins."-Beirut

"Rhy, where's your helicopter now? Where's your ******* helicopter now?"-Mephistopheles.

Quote Originally Posted by Big King Sanctaphrax
    Nope, no onboard vid card.

Caravel, would AGP texture acceleration being disabled entail a big performance hit?
    That would depend greatly on your system memory really. I've never heard of it being disabled before except with regard to the old Voodoo3/4/5 AGP cards. Did you run dxdiag?

I just did it. According to dxdiag, AGP texture acceleration is disabled. Hmmmm. The mystery deepens.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

I just did it. According to dxdiag, AGP texture acceleration is disabled. Hmmmm. The mystery deepens.
    Nah, it is revealed. Enable it and look it up again in that program where it said AGP was disabled to see if there is any change.

It was a trap, after all. Member DukeofSerbia's Avatar

Big King Sanctaphrax

Go in BIOS and check status of graphics.
    Watching
    EURO 2008 & Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Waiting for: Wimbledon 2008.

I was recently browsing some of the programs provided with my new graphics card which serve up info on said device, when I noticed that that its AGP status was marked 'disabled'. This confused me, as the card is an AGP version of the 7600 GT and is running well. So, is this a mistake (surely the card wouldn't run if my AGP port were disabled?) and if it isn't, how do I enable it?
    For what it's worth, I've had problems running AGP on both my systems.

My first PC the mobo was AGPx4 but I could never get it to run in anything higher than AGPx2. When I finally upgraded I was really looking forward to running games in AGPx8 but, wouldn't you know it, the new mobo will not run in any mode higher than AGPx4!

Fortunately, some geeks told me that there is virtually no performance difference between x4 and x8, all the same it's annoying.

If I were you I think I'd probably start just by checking my mobo manual to see if there's a BIOS setting for AGP you need to change. If that didn't fix the probem then I'd probably start fooling around with the driver settings.

Another problem setting with AGP cards is "fastwrites" - I always set the BIOS and drivers to "fastwrites off", as there's no real performance benefit (only theoretical) and stability can be severely degraded when it's turned on.
    My father's sole piece of political advice: "Son, politicians are like underwear - to keep them clean, you've got to change them often."