Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Warhammer Total War 2

Default Warhammer Total War 2

The mod for RTW never reached fruition, but I intend to see that a mod for MTW2 does a bit better!

I already have a good selection of meshes waiting to roll, and will be hoping ( if the model toolkit functions ) to add proper Dwarves as well as the more humanoid creatures. The multiple skins feature will also help when I get around to chaos units....Variation there is a MUST.

Waiting for the game.... waiting for the tools.... waiting to MOD!
    Careless Orc Costs Lives!

Default Re: Warhammer Total War 2

Cool As an old GW hack myself, would love to see a full WTW campaign one day.
    Epistolary Richard's modding Rules of Cool
    Cool modders make their mods with the :mod command line switch
    If they don't, then Cool mod-users use the Mod Enabler (JSGME)
    Cool modders use show_err
    Cool modders use the tutorials database Cool modders check out the Welcome to the Modding Forums! thread Cool modders keep backups Cool modders help each other out

Though I never actually played the tabletop, I´m one of those who is deeply saddened by the fact that the RTW Warhammer mod never went beyond the first beta release (which is fun, though). To see one for MTW2 would be great (and you could save a good deal of time with the Empire and Bretonia - I think a lot of MTW2´s units do already have a Warhammer-ish look to them ;) ).

This should be interesting. Mark of Chaos (demo) felt a bit unimpressive.

Indeed, because while, yes, it does have units consisting of numerous men and yes, it has stamina and morale, it still feels very RTS-ish to me, having a unit on "run" doesn´t seem to aversely affect them, and the morale drops so slowly that a unit is almost completely killed off anyway before it starts routing. It´s more like now instead of a health bar we see a couple of models on the battlefield. Add to that the numerous special attacks of the champions and heroes.

Sounds great! I loved the beta release of WTW1, with the historical battle which I don't remember the name of, only that it was great fun :P.

So I join among those who wish you the best of luck with this project!

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Promising proposal there Bwain, it will be good to see a Warhammer modification make it to a release, it certainly has a reachable audience.
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

Work has begun in earnest now.... even though the tools are not avaiable to put new content in the game.

I have started with the Tomb Kings, since I already had some nice skeleton units in RTW. I have improved the mesh slightly and added clavicles to the units. I have re-done the models to give them a more Egyptian slant, with more fitting weapons and kit. Next job will be to add the chariots and start work on the Tomb Guards and Bone Giants and Ushabti.

I already have skeleton horses which will be put back into service.

The Brettonians are pretty much the ordinary MTW2 units....though I will re-do some of the stuff just for the hell of it!

The same goes for much of the Empire units, doesn´t it?

Hopefully we´ll find one way or another to get new models into the game in time.

The stock game is a whole step nearer than RTW, which is why I am so keen to make this happen. The artillery is all there too for the Dwarves :D

Could be your God Member Abokasee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snarkfarfar
    Sounds great! I loved the beta release of WTW1, with the historical battle which I don't remember the name of, only that it was great fun :P.

So I join among those who wish you the best of luck with this project!
    Off topic... wow the last time you posted was in that really old archived thread
    Water?
    and even then I reckon the
    What units do bartix have and what faction replaces armenia
    thread should be archived

Back to subject

Yeah this will rock after all being able to have differnt textures in a single group of unit using the soldeir will rock with a Warhammer mod
    Now with transparent layers!

Lost on the Internet? Go back to start.

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

Bwian, you make a warhammer mod happen and I will worship you! This is a very good idea and I hope you can make it happen. God, think of the possibilities! Pistoliers, Great Swords, Khorne Beserkers ... I'm salivating already!
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

I'd be interested in helping out with this, got some experience modelling and texturing though prob not enough to produce quality goods. Can do 2d stuff as well and have some limited experience with heightmaps if you need someone to do the campaign map. Have practically every army and rule book too, including some warmaster, wfrp and man o' war.

Shaidar Haran Senior Member SAM Site Champion Myrddraal's Avatar

@ Faenaris you realise there is a Warhammer mod for RTW?

I have been having some fun with my initial models, putting them in BI to see how they look :D

You do realize that there is a Warhammer: Mark of Chaos game on the market that utilizes the same engine as MTW2

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/...mer/index.html

you can either play that one or you can probably rip yourself some really awesome models for this mod.

I seriously doubt it uses the same engine. Looks to me that it has a more linear campaign like dark omen or shadow of the horned rat. As for ripping the units, its great way to get your mod shut down.

It doesn't use the M2TW engine. The M2TW engine is far far superior IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    It doesn't use the M2TW engine. The M2TW engine is far far superior IMO
    Agreed. I was quite excited about MoC when it was first announced because they were talking along the lines of Total-War-with-customisable-units.
    And while it's still better, in my opinion, than your alot of your standard RTSs, it's a real missed opportunity.

This is another mod I'm looking forward to very much.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Dont want to rain on anyone's parade, but i do hope you realise that if this ever gets noticed by Games Workshop, you will be stamped on from a great height by an army of lawyers, dont you?

http://uk.games-workshop.com/legal/canandcant/1/

Scroll down to the relevant part. Only reason i can see for them shutting it down would be at namco's request. Main reason they would have for that is if they thought it would hurt sales of Mark of Chaos. Given that we cant even mod mtw2 yet I'd say they're not worried as of yet. Realisticly though a tc isnt going to be done overnight, and by the time this looks like it might be finished their attention might be elsewhere. Who knows, maybe they might take notice and actually want to play it instead of kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    I have been having some fun with my initial models, putting them in BI to see how they look :D
    And? How do they look? Screens, if you please (even if it´s "only" BI)

Quote Originally Posted by Daveybaby
    Dont want to rain on anyone's parade, but i do hope you realise that if this ever gets noticed by Games Workshop, you will be stamped on from a great height by an army of lawyers, dont you?

Following Casuir's link:

Quote Originally Posted by Games Workshop
    MODIFICATIONS, TOTAL CONVERSIONS, AND GAMES

We want people to express their enjoyment of our games with as little interference from us as possible, as long as they behave reasonably with our IP and follow any reasonable requests that we may make. We are not inherently opposed to hobbyists creating games or mods using our IP, in fact we are flattered that people want to spend so much time creating games and mods in the GW universes.

If you want to make a game, TC or a mod using our IP you must adhere to the following (in addition to the general principles as outlined above):

* Any game or mod must be a "total conversion." In other words, you must not use our intellectual property (logos, images, names etc.) in relation to the worlds, names, logos, or images of any other company. For example, you cannot place our Space Marines in a Disney total conversion using the Unreal engine, but you could make a TC solely using Space Marines with the Unreal engine. This is, of course, assuming that you have permission to use the Unreal engine.
    * Please bear in mind that we may require you to remove the game or mod from any public forum at any time so that we can comply with any licenses that we may have with computer game publishers/developers. Be aware that we may even have to insist that the mod be destroyed. Please take very careful note of this statement, as we would not want you to feel unfairly treated at a later date.
    * The game or mod must be strictly non-commercial – this includes any web site that the mod or game is hosted on. You also cannot pay a printing company to publilsh copies of it onto CD. It may also mean that you cannot get sponsorship.
    * It must be made clear on any readme files, splash/intro screens and accompanying material that the game or mod is unofficial and the origins of the intellectual property must be made obvious (e.g., your mod might say �Battletoes � a total conversion for XXXX (insert game name) using intellectual property owned by Games Workshop. Used without permission...etc." See the relevant disclaimer on the following page.).
    * The game or mod must not devalue any Games Workshop product in any way.
    * Any distribution (zipped or otherwise) of the whole, or any part, of the mod or game must be accompanied with the appropriate disclaimers and must also follow these guidelines.
    * The functionality, atmosphere, and parameters of any mod or game must be consistent with the relevant IP.
    That is a very fair and generous policy and I can't see any reason that this mod would get into trouble as a result of it.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

Wow, i stand corrected, and am happy to be so. Seen so many TCs and Mods get squashed over the years that i've just come to expect the worst, usually happens just as the mod's nearing completion too.

Extremely rare to see a company be this generous with their IP. Nice, good on them.

Prussian Musketeer Member Faenaris's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myrddraal
    @ Faenaris you realise there is a Warhammer mod for RTW?
    Aye, but I have never tried it. It was for RTW 1.2 only and I was waiting for a 1.5 conversion before I would give it a serious go. It also didn't have a campaign and since I am not a custom-battle-man, that kinda put me off. But the project has fallen silent now, which is a shame. And I can't quite get back into RTW now that M2TW is out.

Now, since Bwian is making one for M2TW and he has way more chance of succes (Reiters are just begging to be called Pistoliers and Forlorn Hope/Zweihander might become Greatswords), I'm VERY excited. I hope that it is possible to implement Orcs too, nothing would please me more than sending the Empire against the Greenskins.
    Signature by Atterdag

"Hunde, wollt ihr ewig leben?" ("Dogs, do you want to live forever?") - Frederick II of Prussia at the battle of Kolin when adressing his fleeing Prussian soldiers.

I had looked at the WTW mod and was going to download it until I saw that it was only in Beta and was not looking like it would move any further beyond that. I would definitely download a WTW2 mod after completion, it would be like lord of the rings on crack, a term we use down here on the east of usa to replace rad, narly and such. Seriously, it looked great, on this engine and with improved ai it would be like watching a fantasy movie of epic proportions.

Anyone with any kind of interest in this area will take a look at it, and probably be amazed. It will be what Mark of Chaos should have been. What makes WTW great though is the story line and plot, and if there can be some kind of story line depending on what faction you play as that would add so much more to the atmosphere, although that can be kind of hard because you wouldn't want such a linear path as mark of chaos seems to be, and as shadow of the horned rat was as well.

I'm no modder, I just recently learned about all this, but when I realized that I could play mods, the same game but altered completely in every other way, I was stunned as I could do it for free, and the game was completely new, just the same engine.

Good luck, look forward to seeing it in action soon.

As has been stated earlier, GW has 'softened' it's approach to people using it's IP in mods. Generally speaking, they would only can a mod that was in direct competition with something that they were going to release themselves. They would have licensed the game and would be expected to defend the thing and prevent such activity. Can't see that as being an issue. Mark of Chaos is out and done, and was more of an RTS anyway. We are no competition and will be taking GREAT care to follow the rules. This is such a rich gaming world, it DESERVES to be available in as many flavours as possible!

Ahh....greenskins. How can you even THINK about a warhammer mod without Orcs and Goblins. Thats unthinkable! I had some workable orcs in RTW, so even if the new engine has restrictins in skeletal arrangement, I will have Orcs. I will also have Elves and I will have Skaven. There will be undead and there will be Chaos ( and I plan on using the variations in models to make variations in the 'shape' of some of the units for Chaos. There will be Beastmen and there will be ....things ;)

Biggest 'questionmark' hangs over the implementation of Dwarves. This will e the first thing I work on. They must be made possible!

I will take a few screenies of the Tomb Kings units to keep Ciaran happy ;)

Bwain, in the long run (by which time I will hopefully have finally gotten around to modding M2TW) would you be looking for a team?

In the long run...you bet.

I already have a couple of guys who have volunteered to do a few bits and pieces, such as text descriptions for units and factions, and someone who has started work on a campaign map.

The project is too big to work on solo!

Metal Mayhem stayed pretty much a solo effort purely because it was a very personal thing. I still work on it ( when time allows ) but it could never be a team thing. I couldn't explain enough of it to get people to work on it the way I wanted. With Warhammer, you can show them a picture and say 'make one like that' which is a whole lot easier!

I can do enough myself by way of modding to make most of the mod and to ensure that progress continues, but I can't make this thing in a sensible timespan without help. I don't plan on going all out and recruiting the whole world, but will add people to the team as and when the tools to mod become available. Hence the start with text and maps. These CAN be done .... so it makes sense to start saying 'yes' to people who volunteer with those skills.

But.....in short....yes. I will gather a team of Warhammerites, and if nobody volunteers, I'll still build the damn thing on my own

Quote Originally Posted by Bwian
    But.....in short....yes. I will gather a team of Warhammerites, and if nobody volunteers, I'll still build the damn thing on my own
    Warhammerite present for duty, sah!
    I can get concept artwork (not mine, official) for whoever will be creating the units and unit cards, background info, you name it.
    Count me in if you want.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast