Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Turks

Default The Turks

The Turks need to be unlocked before you can play as them. To do this you can either complete a campaign (on any difficutly, long or short setting) with one of the five starting factions, or you can edit the preferences file. To do this open your Sega/M2TW folder/data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign, find the file called "descr_strat" and open it with wordpad. Now find the section which says
    Code:
    campaign      imperial_campaign
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
    end
    unlockable
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    Change it so it reads
    Code:
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    Last edited by frogbeastegg; 11-13-2006 at 22:32.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

Default Re: The Turks

Starting as the Turks, you're in a mixed position.

You do have 4 regions - 2 towns (Iconium and Yerevan) and 2 castles (Caesarea and Mosul) - but none of them make much money and what little income you do have mostly goes to pay your unit upkeep costs.
    Also, your settlements are horribly spaced out with so many mountains separating West from East you'll find 'yet another damn bunch of rebels' hiding around each corner. This distance - and the inability to march in a straight line anywhere means it's a real pain trying to move troops around to defend your borders... Something you'll be doing quite a lot.

Put simply, the Byzantines will harrass you early. It took 11 turns for the first half-stack to besiege Iconium and only 5 more for them to send an army across to Tbilisi, taking Trebizond on the way.
    At the same time, the Egyptians will be steamrolling everything South of you.

My advice is to think very carefully about each mission your Nobles give to you. Get your Diplomat moving NorthWest as quickly as you can and hopefully you'll get a load of 500 florin missions to make first contact with a load of factions you probably won't fight for a while.
    I also grabbed every spare unit I could get and headed for Antioch, ignoring Adana for now. The money you get from Antioch makes it a life-saver, even with Byzantium blockading it every other turn.

Another reason I would advise avoiding Adana early on is that the units defending it are an uncomfortable mix when the bulk of your army is Horse Archers of some sort.

Any veterans from MTW will know about the unit mix in general for the Turks (Horse Archers for breakfast, lunch and dinner) and in fact it's probably closer to the Parthians from RTW. The early infantry is dreadful and you'll have so little money for non-HAs that you'll probably spend what you can afford on Peasant Archers (bait for enemy archers).
    The main problem with the unit mix early on is simply that the Byzantines have access to an equally wide selection of Horse Archers as well, so you'll be relying on the AI to field inadequate armies quite a lot.

It's also worth noting a couple of oddities. Firstly the Race Tracks let Towns recruit HAs and secondly both Janissary units are recruited in Towns as well, so don't be stingy with the Blacksmiths (or even Swordsmiths Guilds, if you're lucky).

I recently completed the Turks campaign (VH/VH) and quite enjoyed it. I pushed on the Byzantines relatively early, and was able to take Nicaea, which seem to distract them so I was able to expand a bit more easily. I also took Constantinople before the Mongols arrived (in force....). Holding Antoich as the previous poster mentioned would probably be a good idea, I didn't, and I wasn't able to displace the Mongols from there for a considerable time. The reason I didn't hold it was due to a crusade though, which you do have to be careful of...

I found the Sipahi horse archers very useful, as they do quite well in melee too, so they seem useful in chasing down enemy horse archers while continuing to shoot at them, especially in groups. This was especially important early in the game, as my enemies seemed to have significant numbers of horse archers. Foot archers, especially the non-peasant ones also will do the job against them when they're not in cantabrian. Getting too absorbed with horse archer numbers probably isn't a good idea though, I was finding 4-5 per 20 unit stack worked quite well, otherwise you're risking a bit too much in lack of melee power.

The basic spear militia aren't great but they aren't too shocking either, but the dismounted sipahis and saracen militia (and ottoman infantry, an "archer" unit) make quite a capable holding melee force and often can break infantry lines of their own accord even without the cavalry you should be charging with.

When the millions of Mongols arrived I got rather bogged down fighting against them, defending cities with decent numbers of the heavier spears is a must (and having a production line for retraining losses), but you can attack individual stacks in the open if you're confident with your cavalry or have a good position. I did though try to make sure I kept pushing on the Byzantines and then Venice with anything spare so that I was still taking some territories. When the Mongols finally burnt out, it was relatively plain sailing (except having to be quick taking the 45 regions).

As mentioned the 3 Janissary units are recruited from high level cities not castles, but it costs quite a lot of money to get there when for the early to middle part of the game you're better off with spears, cavalry and horse archers.

ps. Artillery is also very useful for taking cities in a hurry (i.e. just turning up and attacking), though this is true for any campaign, but it is highly useful to be able to take advantage of poorly defended cities instead of sieging and more defenders turning up.
    Last edited by NihilisticCow; 11-20-2006 at 02:51.

Hellpuppy unleashed Member Subedei's Avatar

I am playing the Turks right now on m/h.

I know this is pretty much "common knowledge" but: in the beginning you´ll be pretty poor for most of the time. This is bad. Your bigger cities start to rebel [in my case Antioch & Constantiople]. This is worse.

After that both cities fell within no time due to rebellion, and this is good...if you had a decent force there. Reconquer the city and rob it....

Should give you a good 10-20k to solve your financial problems before the Mongols come knocking on ya door.....I know I am a crook!
    “Some may never live, but the crazy never die” (Hunter S. Thompson)

Cool Re: The Turks

Ditto what everyone has posted so far but I like to add a few suggestions:

1) Try to push (be it through force or bribery) south as far and fast as possible. Why? Antioch, Damascus, Edessa, Aleppo have the potential to become large money spinners. Capturing Acre is important as it can quickly be upgraded to a fortress.

2) To save money and to get the most out of your troops merge all your units to 2 or 3 full stack (that's if you have the money) and based at least one in each half [i.e. 1 in ME and another in Anatolia] of the empire.

3) Brace yourself for the inevitable invasion of the Byzantine/Egyptian/Crusades. Don't worry if you are outnumbered, provided your opponents doesn't have as many Archers and HA's as you your armies can roll-over full stack with relative ease because of your superior fire-power and mobility.

Btw: Has anyone else notice the fact that Turkish Archers have a defence skill of 6? The same level as JHI?

Don't be let dwn by the apparently low stats of Janissary Heavy Infantry, compared to other heavy infantry (Western Dismounted Knights and such), they are in all tests i've done the BEST heavy infantry unit one on one. They have however to be protected from heavy cavalry charges and missile fire.

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg
    The Turks need to be unlocked before you can play as them. To do this you can either complete a campaign (on any difficutly, long or short setting) with one of the five starting factions, or you can edit the preferences file. To do this open your Sega/M2TW folder/data\world\maps\campaign\imperial_campaign, find the file called "descr_strat" and open it with wordpad. Now find the section which says
    Code:
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
    end
    unlockable
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    Change it so it reads
    Code:
    playable
       england
       france
       hre
       spain
       venice
       sicily
       milan
       scotland
       byzantium
       russia
       moors
       turks
       egypt
       denmark
       portugal
       poland
       hungary
    end
    nonplayable
       papal_states
       aztecs
       mongols
       timurids
       slave
    end
    Greetings Noble Frog

Not sure if someone has already pointed this out, or, even if it makes a difference.

That file is read only. I don't know if it's necessary (probably not) but just thought I'd mention it, that you'll have to click properties and change the file from read only, before you make any changes, which can be saved.

Salute !
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

Default Re : The Turks

I'm used to play with Turks and I have some suggestions :
    Give up Erevan and Mossoul, sell all buildings and use all the soldiers in the 2 cities for plunder Antioche. Now you are rich ! Then, give up Antioche right away (crusaders will come soon) and move your army to Adana. Once you have captured Adana, turn it into City and build a dock as soon as possible.
    While Byzantium attack you, make one boat and go to capture Cyprus island. There is only 1 or 2 units garrisoned so it's easy and the docks already build will help you to get some money. Now you have to defend your borders against Byzantines and later, Egyptians. Make 4-5 Turks archers in Caesarea, send them to the mountains left to Iconium with 1 or 2 infantry units and let Byzantines army attack you. In battle, put your army on the higher position in mountain and watch your Turks archers devastating the ennemy army. If you play well, you can kill an entire 20 Units army with your 7-8 units. All you need is to place your archers very high in the mountain and protect them with your small infantry.

Right to Adana, you can see 2 mountains between the only road to Antioche. You will wait Egyptians attack here and use the same tactics than above.
    When border will be safe, expand you territory only to the west, cities are more interesting. Don't forget to take Heraklion and Rhodes islands, many trades and money are available here.

Let the East cities to Egyptians who will have to fight Mongols alone, later in the game (good luck to them)
    Try the Napoleonic Mod for ETW

Here's some early game suggestions of my own after getting pulverized, then restarting.

No, it's not a secret that the Turks begin poor, but that can change in a matter of two or three turns. You won't roll in money, but you'll be able to field a solid force. And always remember, in a nutshell on previous statements, that Turkic cities produce better infantry than castles, but ultimately no heavy cavalry (Sipahis are solid, however, for quite some time).

First, take Mosul and turn it into a city. It's so far back and in a valuable stretch that keeping it a castle is more an expense. Develop your eastern cities for cash. Take the two Turkish Archers from Mosul and the city to the north and combine them with one to two spear militia. These guys should immediately go to Trebizond, which the Byzantines will also be gunning for with a sizeable stack, and which you should be able to break once inside the castle if you wait out the siege instead of storm it. (Note: After you defeat the Byzantine army going for this castle, change it into a city. Caesarea, Adana, and Aleppo are the only castles necessary at the start.)

In the western part of your empire, build Iconium up to port status, but think about getting yourself up to Saracen Infantry and catapults quickly. Saracens can beat any Infantry unit the early Byzantines will throw at you, and your cavalry/foot archers likewise. So pull together all your spare forces in the west on turn one and start thinking about Antioch -- this city and Mosul's transformation were the difference-makers in my campaign. Build Antioch the same way as Iconium, up to port status and with a level two or three market. After that, get Saracens, then more money.

If you can take the castle south of Antioch, good, but the Egyptians usually get there quickly. Absolutely take Adana and Aleppo and keep them as castles. The added defense buffer between money-making cities is paramount at this stage, and they connect your empire better.

Diplomatically, make alliances with everyone but the Byzantines, unless you sell it. They'll attack you as soon as you or they take Trebizond. Very important in my campaign was NOT destroying the initial Byzantine stack. When I did (it's a lot of spearmen) they replaced them with huge horse archer armies, which can really hurt you. Instead, field a mixed force of spearmen, Turkish Archers (which beat Byz spearmen in melee), a couple horse archers, and catapults. Artillery is wonderful against the early Byzantine army. If you wait to destroy the first stack, any new units they've made will likely go west to fight other wars, leaving you with a far less able enemy. Once you crush this force, move west and take Nicaea or Constantinople; simultaneously, take your Antioch conquerors and move them over to Cyprus, which might have a unit or two defense, and take it. At that point, you might have Trebuchets to make your efforts easier against Constantinople. After you drive them out of their Turkic holdings and secure the coast (and Byzantium), you can do whatever. The Egyptians have yet to attack me, but I've kept strong garrisons to deter them. I'll soon move on both Edessa and Baghdad.

This is, so far, my most successful beginning, and no one is yet strong enough to stop my advance. The only threat yet to come (overdue) is the first Crusade. With luck, it'll pass through to Egypt's Jerusalem. If that happens, usually, they grind each other down and make room for your next conquests.
    Last edited by GrandInquisitor; 11-26-2006 at 19:32.

I haven't tried turkey yet, but in my other games eventually turkey gets whooped big time, so I got a few questions for those that made it that far:

1- how do you survive the mongol onslaught?
    2- how do you survive the even more terrible timurid onslaught which lands in armenia and ravages your every city?

Default Re : Re: The Turks

Quote Originally Posted by lalartu
    I haven't tried turkey yet, but in my other games eventually turkey gets whooped big time, so I got a few questions for those that made it that far:

1- how do you survive the mongol onslaught?
    2- how do you survive the even more terrible timurid onslaught which lands in armenia and ravages your every city?
    With my tactics explained above, i let all the cities east to Adana to Byzantines and Egyptians. When barbarians invades they fight only Byzantines and Egyptians. Then, when they come on me, they are less powerful, i'm ready and very strong. I put 3-4 full armies east to Adana in the mountains with many and many archers and usually i stop them here. Don't forget you can reform your armies after every battles, barbarians can't do it...
    Try the Napoleonic Mod for ETW

I'll chime in, I'm 'wrapping' up a long turkish VH/VH campaign, and i've reached critical mass. Nothing has enough stopping force to seriously put up a fight. I'm making about 10-13k per turn, and am 1 in all the listings at turn 45ish. After fighting the mongols on the russian steppes (Not recommended. they outmatch your troops on every level, and don't run. The only thing you can possibly have better is numbers) I've got a pretty good idea on how to play it in the future, and vs. the timurids.

How is this possible? Well, you can't 'handicap' yourself in any way. This method doesn't use 'cheap' tactics, but it is violent, and fast.

Rule #1: Use common sense.
    Rule #2: Troop shuffling is good. You start out with an attacking force of 3 garrisons that get reinforced, you'll need to swap around armies as you see fit. Don't siege a small town with everything you have, siege with what you believe will be able to take it, and have the rest move on.

Remember: The sooner you get new territories, the quicker you make money. Don't build settlements up at all in the beggining, instead, focus on chugging out the cheaper horse archers in castles, as well as Militias in cities.

Have EVERY territory build roads if able (first turn) Followed by a port in iconium.

This being said, opening moves involve Iconium and Mosul mostly working together, Northeasternmost territory on its own,

use your spy, diplomat, and imam to watch for the byzantines by heading west.

and Ceasaria doing triple duty: reinforcing NorthEastermost territory, working with iconium and mosul, as well as getting ready to help support iconium pending the eventual arrival of the Byzantines (who WILL come).

Ceasaria's first move should be to build some troops, and move most (including general) of the garrison to take Adana.

Your NorthEastern most territory (town) should move north and capture the castle there, and doubleback and secure Trebizond afterwards. This campaign is independent of all others. (Troops from ceasaria may help with Trebizond)

Mosul: chug out cheaper horse archers, move general and spearmen to the west, they will help attack antioch/aleppo or damascus: Cities to avoid are Baghdad (which i sieged until sallying with a bunch of horse archers fairly late, around turn 17ish. You may able to take it earlier, but I believe your initial garrison is best used in the west, and you won't have enough money to build structures to build ground units to take baghdad)

Also avoid Edenna. It's garrison is incredibly large, and will tie up forces far better used securing the holy land.

Iconium: build a port, then a ship. Keep your faction leader here, but move your initial garrison to Adana. Build cheap stuff each turn the port is being built, and send it to the port to take advantage of a ship that will be built soon (turn 4-5ish?) Transport ship to take antioch from behind (so you don't have to go around the river) and help take it with any other armies. Once the reinforcements ship is built and away, focus iconiums economy on building troops to fight the byzantines, use common sense, don't go overboard on building up.

Now that you have Adana, build a few horse archers (if possible), and send them to reinforce your troops, After this, use adana to reinforce an army and take a medium stack to take Edenna. Then turn Adana into a city, as well as Aleppo.

Around this point you should be poised to take Antioch quickly, with damascus as well.

Proceed southward, and sieze the rest of the holy land. You will encounter Egypt (potentially as high as acre, jeruselum, or damascus). This is good, as you can just mop up their depleted armies.

Sacking Holy land territories will give you tons of money. Money that you definatly need to produce better unit structrures/econ, just don't go overboard.

CONSEQUENCE #1: Because You've rapidly siezed territories, your family will have many kids very quickly, as well as numerous Man Of The Hour adoptions. The kids will come of age in Iconium, which will give you the heavy cavalry you so *desperately* need vs the byzantines.

Around this time you should be seeing byzantine armies start to trickle into your territories. Get the armies being built in Ceasaria and iconium to intercept Get your faction leader and his sons to spearhead an assault into Byzantine territory. If you have an imam, it will also be useful to declare Jihad vs Smyrna. Egypt may join in this jihad, which will take away troops from his defense. Although you must be ready for the journeying egyptian jihad army to attack one of your cities (they didn't to me, but i heavily garrisoned all the cities along the way).

Take acre, and use it to reinforce the egyptian campaign, convert it to a city once you take Gaza.

Take gaza, keep it a fortress, and eliminate the rest of the egyptian faction.

Take constantinople. Prepare for Hungary to get in your face. Make sure to engage in the fields, as you need the money from constantinople's trade, as well as producing reinforcements.

Thats pretty much it. The rest is mopping up (nikosia?) and common sense. start pumping money into econ in all trade heavy territories, and all mediterranian bordering territories as well.

Now: Vs mongols, you've got 2 methods. If they come from the top, make sure you know where they are. I decided to take the rebel territory immedietly north of the HUGE mountain range, but it probably wasn't necessary.

while you know where they are, start pumping out troops to guard the mountain passes, blocking them at Rivers where possible. This is where keeping 2 castles to the north as 'castles' really helps.

I hear the Mongols can also attack from around Baghdad as well, so make sure to build up mosul as well. Same thing applies here, Absolutely maintain them near the rivers if possible. If they break out, my strategy of switching aleppo, adana, and acre to cities will definately hurt you. In retrospect, that was really hedging my bets.

That being said, the mongols are contained for me. I didn't use any special equipment or troops. (no Jannisary heavy infantry.) The heaviest being Halbred militia. Siege equipment should definatley be used on river crossings.

That being said, all my campaigns (Turks, Venice, Portugese) have ended before the Timurids or america is discovered.

As for timurids, If the timurids show up ONLY in armenia, then the following strategy applies: Hold them at the rivers. let them sack the cities that you can't protect using the rivers. It appears that armenian-area is surrounded by
    by rivers. I really doubt CA intended for us NOT to use them.

For river defense: Have at least 1 cannon and 1 trebuchet. Hurled cows make very very easy to break armies. And the cannon? Heh heh heh....

The CPU tends to rush all his stuff over the bridge after a set amount of time (when attacking) This includes his elephants. Once the elephants are on the bridge and in range of ANYTHING, focus all fire on them. They will panic, and rampage on the bridge. They will slaughter a good portion of the army and route the rest.
    I have done this before in a 'Quick Battle' in which they give you 2x spearmen, 2x javalinmen, 1x trebuchet, 1x cannon, and some horse archers/peasants and other stuff that really didn't do anything The elephants ended up killing half the timurid army, and I was laughing.

Hope this was useful...

For diplomacy, I didn't really bother much. Securing trade agreements with the poles and russians will really help coastal territories north and south of constantinople. Egypt will help for the short amount of time before you attack them.

Diplomacy is one thing that is not critical for the Turks.

^ thanks for the help. this campaign was frustrating me. and welcome to the org!
    I'd hate to be a giraffe with a sore throat.
    Self-proclaimed member who wishes more than anyone else that they looked like their avatar 2007.

well some of the elephants timurids bring have very good morale and so I sort of doubt shooting at them while they're crossing the bridge will really do much for them to go berserk.

I don't have much problem with mongols who are numerically superiour to timurids (they come at both Baghdad in 3 waves and north of armenia in 3 waves, but go to Russia proper), but timurids are better armed...

elephants are extremely annoying and the only way out of it I see is hiring your own elephant mercs (usually around Baghdad) and having a little mammoth shoot out, see who wins and whose cannon is bigger.

I think unless you give the entire armenia and georgia to byzantine and then take what's usually byzantine's area along with a part of hungary for extra profit, it would be a bit difficult to survive two consecutive onslaughts (i.e. mongols followed by timurids in big big quantities) and come out alive.

I'm going to try to secure the western anatolia and part of bulgaria, while also holding every island around (cyprus, crete) and see if I can avoid timurids until they're decreased in numbers by byzantines.

Default Re: Re : The Turks

Quote Originally Posted by Onemanshow
    I'm used to play with Turks and I have some suggestions :
    Give up Erevan and Mossoul, sell all buildings and use all the soldiers in the 2 cities for plunder Antioche. Now you are rich ! Then, give up Antioche right away (crusaders will come soon) and move your army to Adana. Once you have captured Adana, turn it into City and build a dock as soon as possible.
    While Byzantium attack you, make one boat and go to capture Cyprus island. There is only 1 or 2 units garrisoned so it's easy and the docks already build will help you to get some money. Now you have to defend your borders against Byzantines and later, Egyptians. Make 4-5 Turks archers in Caesarea, send them to the mountains left to Iconium with 1 or 2 infantry units and let Byzantines army attack you. In battle, put your army on the higher position in mountain and watch your Turks archers devastating the ennemy army. If you play well, you can kill an entire 20 Units army with your 7-8 units. All you need is to place your archers very high in the mountain and protect them with your small infantry.

Right to Adana, you can see 2 mountains between the only road to Antioche. You will wait Egyptians attack here and use the same tactics than above.
    When border will be safe, expand you territory only to the west, cities are more interesting. Don't forget to take Heraklion and Rhodes islands, many trades and money are available here.

Let the East cities to Egyptians who will have to fight Mongols alone, later in the game (good luck to them)
    all this is completely unecessary. there is no need to give up on any cities! i would heed anyone reading this not to follow you advice. playing on h/h i was able to take the sorrounding rebel provinces, without any of these drastic steps and then see off the egyptians and byzantines fairly earlly.

i would suggest playing very agressively at the beggining, and taking out the egyptians and byzantines before they become too powerful.

with the turks it is favourable to use armies with alot of horse archers (you have no choice at the beggining). just surround the enemy and shoot the to peices - there is very little the enemy can do to respond. if they have some ha's of their own, surround them and then charge into melee with several ha units is usually sufficient. the horse archers really do allow a very agressive style of play as it is possible to wipe out large armies without sustaining many casualties at all.

dont be afriad to use the horse archers agressively as melee cav at the right moment. the siphais are decent melee troops, and though the others are less good being charged from all sides is often good enough to route the enemy. they will take casulaties but the ha's are a generic cheap unit and you can send them off to the nearest fort to heal after the battle. (also you will find that your ha's end up with really high experience as they take so many kills and this improves their melee stat not ranged.)

USE JIHAD - cynically use the jihad- this is the best way for the turks to get decent infantry at the earlly stage. (i believe i declared a jihad on baghdad at a very earlly stage and this will give you the footsoldiers to take on the egyptians.

it is possible to complete the long campaign before the mongols arrive. however if you are thinking you will still be around then it is important to prepare. i think they arrive around 1215. I would suggest builidng any farm upgrades you can in the middle east as you want all these territories to be be as highly developed as possible - eg big walls with ballista towers etc. this is another good reason to take the middle east as earlly as possible so you can start preparing.

I didnt have any problem with crusades - early in the campaign the pope declared a crusade on antioch (my city). a full stack army with the portugese king arrived near constantinople. i totally massacred the army to a man in one of my most enjoyable victories. they had few if any ranged units and were slaughtered by my horse archers whilst my sultan and his ghazis watched from a hill above. no one else seemed to have joined the crusade and it failed. i dont recall if any more crusades were called after that but i was too busy pushing west to be threatened by one.

Post Re: The Turks

The Sultanate of Iconium is an interesting faction to utilize. Although money can be scarce at the outset, and travel times painfully lengthy, the advantages of creating and maintaining a Turkish Empire in the Eastern Mediterranean far outweigh the pitfalls.

As the new Sultan you control 4 regions, these regions at the outset are not connected, Yerevan and Mosul are in the East, whilst Iconium and Caesarea are in Asia Minor. Your chief rivals in the early going will be the Byzantine Empire in western Asia Minor and the Fatamid Caliphate out of Egypt. In the early years aggression and rapid expansion will be key to the survival of this fledgling Turkish Powerhouse.

It is important to recognize that the Byzantines will be very aggressive if you allow them to expand at their leisure. Given time to themselves the Byzantines will acquire Smyrna and Trebizond and if that happens you can expect attacks on Yerevan, Iconium and Tibilisi (if you have it). The Egyptians have lots of room to expand and are less concerned with attacking you, so in my experience (at least early on) they can be safely ignored.

On the military side, the Seljuk Turks main strength lay in their projectile cavalry. As such it will be to your benefit to fight as many engagements in the open as possible. Your early infantry is fairly weak, and Janissaries are, unfortunately, a long way off. If you find a city under siege it is probably going to be more to your benefit to sally out and attack your opponent rather than try to fight them within the city walls. You'll also want to keep your units repaired and up to date, this means keeping a couple of castles around in order to replenish your horse archer forces (more on this later).

Now for the campaign itself. Tibilisi should be your first target of expansion, typically you'll get a mission to take the castle there early on, and I suggest you do so. Mosul will be the main source of units for taking this castle, so train and move up a general and horse archer units from there ASAP. The army you use to take Tibilisi is not done however, take the largest portion of the army you can spare and swing around west to Trebizond to take the city before the Byzantines can do so. While you are doing this, put the utmost effort possible into producing enough additional units at Mosul to take Baghdad (using the method of starving out the garrison). This way, you will have a large infusion of cash and you wont be in danger of getting into the minuses treasury wise anytime soon.

Now concurrently with this Eastern campaign Iconium and Caesarea should be building units, and in Iconium a port and several ships should be built as well. What your going to want to do is take the combined forces from your Castle/City in Asia Minor and use them to take Cyprus. This will be your first big score against the Byzantines it will undoubtedly get their attention (and not in the good Las Vegas way either). You will need a little bit of luck here, in so far as you'll need your ships to survive long enough to transport the largest portion of your stack back to Asia Minor to continue the campaign against Byzantium.

At this point you will be hurting financially. There's not much you can do at this point, since you have invested lots of money in units and the cash being brought in from your new provinces will not redress the balance completely for some time. Don't worry about money just yet, for now take your large stack now back in Asia Minor west, avoid Smyrna and instead head towards Nicaea. You will have to engage multiple Byzantine armies here, fortunately with a large force of Turkish horse archers, foot archers and militia spearmen on your side dealing with them will not be as hard as it might seem. Eliminate the field armies within reach and lay siege to Nicaea.

Now before you get any ideas Nicaea is NOT your goal. Taking the city is just part of a larger plan of attack for the Seljuks. For, once the city falls, your going to want to destroy its buildings and evacuate. Take the remaining army down towards Smyrna and watch the fun begin. the Looted cash from Nicaea should redress your money issues, and once the city rebells it will have a large rebel garrison which the Byzantines will now have to deal with. Head south and take Smyrna. Remeber to sack each city you take, even if you'll only recoup of a few florins, you need all the money you can get early on. Deal with any remnant Byzantine forces in the area and send your diplomats over to your Greek neighbors, very likely they'll sue for peace.

Now your free to begin building up your regions and earning some cash. Before you invest too much money in that quarter however, you need to transport a small army to Rhodes to capture the island for the Turks as well. This will be an easy conquest and it will round out the basic lands of your new Seljuk Dominion. Byzantium will likely recapture Nicaea but only after expending time and forces in sieging the rebel city. It will also be lacking in upgrades and that will occupy their time as well. Now, for me, I usually turn Cyprus and Rhodes into cities. I don't count on drawing military units from the islands and they bring in more revenue as cities. I keep Smyrna, Caesarea and Tibilisi as Castles, but much later down the line I like to transfer Mosul into a city too (but early on, leave it as is).

Here are some final thoughts on the Seljuk campaign. Bear in mind, there will be a jihad called against Baghdad, you want this city, do not let Egypt take it. Looting the town will reap large financial rewards and the proximity of Mosul will allow horse archers to be produced in quantity, typically I simply starve Baghdad out as this is much easier than trying to storm the walls and results in far fewer casualties. You can deal with the Byzantines and Egypt at your leisure once you've solidified your basic provinces which should total ten: Iconium, Cyprus, Rhodes, Baghdad, Smyrna, Caesarea, Mosul, Yerevan, Tibilisi and Trebizond. In my case I only had one European possession for many turns, that was Constantinople. I focused mainly on my Asiatic domains, supplementing my early conquests with Antioch, Aleppo, Edessa and Adana. This of course requires war with Egypt, but I never found them to be particularly imposing, army strength wise.

Bear in mind that over the years Constantinople and Tibilisi will be under an almost constant state of siege from Hungary, Byzantium and Russia (in my experience). Defending these cities will be most important. Antioch will also face numerous Crusader armies which will also have to be dealt with time and again. After my early conquests I largely play a defensive campaign, taking regions a few at a time and developing my internal economy (which is HIGHLY necessary). Just remember, take on the Byzantines early, focus on unit production ahead of city improvement until your position is secure, and focus on the defense of the cities which are most targeted by your enemies. Hopefully this guide will help those of you who are fans of the Seljuk turks operate an effective campaign, cheers!
    Last edited by Julius_Nepos; 12-04-2006 at 17:17.
    "Religion is a thing which the king cannot command, because no man can be compelled to believe against his will..."

The Turks are quite unlike most other factions, the first thing you should do with them is pick out a nice section of the map North or West that you'd like to take over, get all your starting units gathered up. The towns and castles you start with are a nightmare, mountains are in the way, you have FoW causing a problem, almost no income, and that's the good news.

The bad news is that if you make the HORRIBLE mistake of staying where you are, you're going to war with Byzantine and Egypt very soon, and worse still all of the catholic world will start marching through your land and inevitably go to war with you on some crusade or attack of convenience during a crusade. Not bad enough? The Mongols will eventually pour into your land and sandwich you between constant crusaders, angry catholics, hostile egyptians (unless you wipe them out, then all the crusaders come for your cities) and more.

Needless to say you need to pack up and relocate your empire, and this is one of the great things about the Turks, You choose where you want to land and carve out an empire. There are three obvious directions, through the ever more powerful Byzantine (they'll carve you up for good, and Hungry will be north if you do... Hungry doesn't like you.) or you can get on a boat and go west to a variety of exotic locals, though I highly advise against taking an Island until your capital is relocated. The third and maybe best option is to go north.

Option 1: Military Campaign to the West
    If you're bold enough, or foolish enough, to try to martial a military force and cleave a path through the Byzantine, you should also end up at odds with Venice and Hungry before you're ready. Venice is naturally neutral toward you so you can get on their good side, they're less reliable than Poland but at least they can protect you from Hungry if they attack. The problem is if you're taking this path you're going to want provinces that Venice has, and they're not likely to sell them short of say, oh, a few hundred thousand gold! This means you'll eventually be going to war with them, and if you strike first it will hurt your global reputation. Still in the end you get some clearly defined borders to the north, and you can sell Hungry's provinces to Poland or the Papal States (a good way to position yourself to suck up to the Papacy).

Option 2: Naval Conquest
    If you have your eyes set on any of a number of locals reachable by sea, you may want to build a dock and ship at your capital and head out. You can choose to land wherever you want, if you're going to make your empire on Italy by crushing Sicily you start with ample forces and get a position next to the pope so that you can influence the Papacy.

If you plan on taking Iribia it's good to choose a good capital city like Toledo, pushing out the Moors, and crushing the Spanish and Portuguese shouldn't prove too difficult. You should consider reconciling with the Moors though, their lands to the south are inconvenient to govern and have little real value but you get a good trade income from them and they should be peaceful allies unlikely to wage war once pushed out of Iribia. If your form an alliance with them they're somewhat reliable, though slightly prone to try and take back their old capital if access to Iribia isn't blocked (just build a fort and put some units in it). Other than that they add clout when dealing with the french, since the french are less likely to attack you if you have an ally.

Lastly a bold move would be to sail all the way up to Caen just south of London, making it your new capital then crushing England and Scotland. You can carve a good notch out of the french from there, but the HRE and Denmark naturally hate you for some reason. On the bright side Milan should prove reliable if you give them a gift of a hundred gold or so every five turns. This is good because Milan builds up a fast army, and they're normally hostile to other catholic factions.

Option 3: Northern Expansion

The objective of this path is to take over all the provinces Russia seeks to take, and destroy Russia in the process. Russia and Poland don't get along, so you can use this to your advantage if you have trouble with the Russians (weak as they are to start).

You can easily start by taking Tbilisi and making it your new capital. It's just north of Yerevan and acts as a gateway into the great north. You can easily block all access to the north with forts preventing your nosey southern neighbors from poking around where they're unwanted. Just push your way north and west until you have a line of provinces bordering Poland. Poland is a very reliable ally if you cozy up to them, and giving them your junky old provinces will throw them into war with Byzantine, endearing you to them in the process. This kills two birds with one stone and lets Poland act as a meat shield on both entrances to your empire and keeps Byzantine out of your hair, you could even sign a peace treaty and trade rights once they're in conflict with Poland, but Poland will consider this dubious (and thus it effects your reputation with them, and your world reputation). If Poland grabs Kiev, Vilnius, or Riga buy it from them, don't take it, you have junky start settlements to trade so you can get a discount and you don't want to cross Poland trust me, they're the only reliable eastern ally you have.

By the end of the third option you have three major port cities that provide easy access to your faction's main target goal, Constantinople, but why not have some fun first? You can sail out from Riga and invade the English and the Scotts, or you can crush Denmark, or go capture all the Islands, invade Iribia, and do all that other stuff you were going to do anyway. Go nuts.

Imo playing with the Turks is the hardest campaign in MTW2 cause you have many enemies who awaits sneaky in your borders.

After a few turn,Byzantines will directly rush you.Also Arabs(Egyptians are not reliable) may declare war to you after about 30 turns.I am not even talking about Mongol Horde threat.

I saw some comments about Turks but imo peps are playing in easiest campaing cuz in the hardest one,nearly impossible to be involved.Btw do not tell me that you re rushing to Byzantines...Turkish armies are not suit for attack.Turk archers can use shoot-circle mode maybe but you can't push armies without infantry which Turks dont have any.If you even are able to rush Byzantines,do not trust Arabs cuz they have to use Anatolia to inrease their borders.

There is also bug about Mongols.When they assaulted your castle,sen your diplomat to offer caese-fire which will be accepted.After caese they will assault again but when u offered same again,they are not rejected.Trully after 8-9 turns it was predictable so i gave up this.Than they took my 2 territories.In the same time Byzantines were keep rushing to me with Arabs.Economic problems,lack infantry and many enemies can be some of the reason to shut down your computer:)
    Turks can be killed but they can't be defeated.

Napoleon Bonaparte

As soon as Turks do not touch you,you do not touch them either.

Hz.Muhammed

Quote Originally Posted by Yavuz
    Imo playing with the Turks is the hardest campaign in MTW2 cause you have many enemies who awaits sneaky in your borders.

After a few turn,Byzantines will directly rush you.Also Arabs(Egyptians are not reliable) may declare war to you after about 30 turns.I am not even talking about Mongol Horde threat.

I saw some comments about Turks but imo peps are playing in easiest campaing cuz in the hardest one,nearly impossible to be involved.Btw do not tell me that you re rushing to Byzantines...Turkish armies are not suit for attack.Turk archers can use shoot-circle mode maybe but you can't push armies without infantry which Turks dont have any.If you even are able to rush Byzantines,do not trust Arabs cuz they have to use Anatolia to inrease their borders.
    :)
    push infantry? not sure exactly what you mean, but im presuming you mean engage head on.

using horse archers this is not necessary. an infantry army is easy picking for a horse archer army. simply swarm around the enemy so that you are surrounding them from all sides and shoot them to bits, there is really no response to this. units like the sipahis are actually fairly good at melee (and in addition horse archers all get there melee stats boosted from experience bonuses after a few battles as they cause so many casualties). so once the enemies are severely thinned charging in from all sides (using ALt + right to get them to use thier melee attack) will often result in a rout.

if you do have infantry dont engage them with the enemy until you have severely depleted their ranks + then charge in the back with your horse archers.

using horse archers i was able to wipe out many large armies with minimal casualties- for example ideally you want to engage the byzantines and invading cursaders in the field and you can decimate them.

try starting a new game mate, playing on hard/ hard i can honestly say i found the turks one of the easier factions to play - the ai just cant deal with you horse archers if used correctly.

My other massive tip is to use the jihad earlly - (maybe to get a city like baghdad or Antioch) This will allow you to recruit some fairly decent infantry troops at the earlly stage of the game, which is important as it takes a while to be able to produce good infantry as the turks.

Mate,first of all,i meant engaged but imo you think it is cheap to recruit sipahis.Also their upkeep cost is nasty.Trully,you can recruit maybe 300 town milita which is nearly same as the price of 40sipahi.You can't win battles with Sipahi but horse archers give deep and rotated situation to army.Without infantry,it is so hard to be involved in Anatolia.Also you only struggled with Byzantines,lets hope Arabs shall not attack you thou.While you are fighting with your enemies,not much money left for contructions.

Napoleon Bonaparte

Hz.Muhammed

I agree, moveing with the turks out of turkey and most likely relocateing to crete, serdina and cosrica and algers is most likely best, allowing you to expand with relative safety and your new "core" citys will be all islands, plus if you take sicilly you can march up the boot of italy and with your cav heavy armys most likely beat back any itilian based infantry armys. Going west or south with the turks is just foolish, and going north takes to long, also people dont relize that the mongols are just a small part of it, if you end up playing the long game to go to america your going to HAVE to fight the timurds and they can prove to be a nusance if not a major threat.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFluff
    I agree, moveing with the turks out of turkey and most likely relocateing to crete, serdina and cosrica and algers is most likely best, allowing you to expand with relative safety and your new "core" citys will be all islands, plus if you take sicilly you can march up the boot of italy and with your cav heavy armys most likely beat back any itilian based infantry armys. Going west or south with the turks is just foolish, and going north takes to long, also people dont relize that the mongols are just a small part of it, if you end up playing the long game to go to america your going to HAVE to fight the timurds and they can prove to be a nusance if not a major threat.
    none of that is necessary. playing on hard/hard i was able to defeat both the byzantines and egyptians earlly on and never had too much problems with them.

basically i went west and south - the true historical direction for turk exapnsion and i didnt struggle.

i deffinately allied with the byz from the start and possibly did with the egyptians. this will give you a bit of breathing space as they wont attack for a few turns after forming an alliance.

Quote Originally Posted by KARTLOS
    none of that is necessary. playing on hard/hard i was able to defeat both the byzantines and egyptians earlly on and never had too much problems with them.

basically i went west and south - the true historical direction for turk exapnsion and i didnt struggle.

i deffinately allied with the byz from the start and possibly did with the egyptians. this will give you a bit of breathing space as they wont attack for a few turns after forming an alliance.

Beating egypt and byz is not hard. Its beating the mongols, fighting off crusades and on top of that dealing with venice and hungury that make it such an issue. When i wrote the egyptan guide i took for granted The fact that there two starting citys, cario and alexandria are isolated and relativly safe from mongol invasion. and they only need to worry about one front, the North front, or west if they take byz areas. By scraficaing 30 turns to relocate you gain haveing to fight 40 against varioius occupying powers. On top of that moveing to the islands allows you to launch naval strikes on ciro and alex with the turks, and they will be very lighty defended and most likley busy fighting off rival powers, allowing you to regain not only a foothold, but a STRONGER foot hold on the holy lands and africa itself. There are three types of games you can play with turkey, a slug fest with the mongols and conentnal powers, a tatical withdraw comeing out of turkey fallowed up with a strong comeback, or a mix of both. Its really the players choice but i feel the withdrawl works in the long term, while the slug fest yelds immidate results in the holy land and you can even beat byz and egypt but after the 70-100 turn mark with the emergence of powerfull western knights and the mongols can be risky and depends on the players actual battle skill and time willing to spend fighting off each stack and counting every coin he has in the bank!

Julius_Nepos has a great guide and I suggest you read it through. I do it a bit different and will mostly just add some suggestions and tweaks that I found helpful when playing the turks.

Important points for the turks.

1.) Expansion. The turks HAVE to expand rapidly in order to get money and support the vast amounts of troops you will need to expand. If you are taking over a castle, normally you can leave as little as one unit and move on the same turn you take it over. If you take over a town, stay a few turns to recruit free militia units and then move on.

2.) Money. You'll have none until you have 12-17 settlements. Most of you money will go to troops and the rest gets eaten up by building. this leads to point 3

3.) Building slowly. Keep the building to Inconium and Caesarea. Fast teching in 1 city and 1 castle will allow you access to your best troops early. which is important because if you want to continue expanding you are going to need much better troops then spear militia. I normally can produce Saracen militia by turn 15-20 and Janisarries by turn 25-30.

4.) Jihads are you friend early in the game. They give you access to very cheap and very good ground units to sieging larger settlements that your spearmilita + HA's just couldn't take. After 60 or so turns there not as useful because you should have better ground troops.

5.) Castles can be your friend. I keep around 50% castles to make sure that a.) some provinces are harder to take, b.) most don't have to be garrisoned, c.) I have good supply lines of HA's, which are the lifeblood of the turks army. The income you save on garrisons will make up for the difference in earnings.

6.) Watchtowers are your friends. Because you are so spread out, the early warning that a watch tower gives you is vital. It can save the day by allowing you to react as soon as a stack starts coming your way and Byzantine will be sending a lot your way.

Early Expansion tactics:
    Start off by building roads in all settlements on turn one. The increased movement will help early in the game due to your provinces spread out nature. Recruit HA's in Caesarsea and Mosul, and militia in Iconium and Yerevan. Turn two involves getting HA's to Iconium and Yeveran and building a port. After this keep building down to a minimum unless it's in Inconium or Ceasarsea. By turn 3-4 you should have 2 partial stacks, 1 going to Smyrna and other other to Tblisi.

Once Symrna is yours you should start sending most of that stack back to Iconium, the Byzantines should be coming. On the same turn you take Tblisi, keep 1-2 units in the castle and start heading the rest toward Trebizond. Call a Jihad on Trebizond and have the stack that is headed there join. Buy as many of the jihad ground unit you can, you will need them. Byzantines normally send a full stack toward Trebizond by turn 3-4 so you'll probably only beat their stack with your Jihad army by 1-3 turns.

If you are not already in a full scale war with Byzantines it's about that time. Send your stack around Iconium toward Nicaea and capture it while moving the now ex-jihad army down from Trebizond toward Constantinople. Clear all Byzantines on the Peninsula, and once your reinforcements from Trebizond link up with your main stack from Iconium you should be able to call another Jihad on Constantinople. Sack Constantinople and start looking south. Constantinople is a rather flat province that is easily defended by horse archers and tech up ballista towers as soon as possible. Hiding an army in the trees just off the road west of Constantinople can do wonders for defending that province.

Once Constantinople is under your control, send a few generals back to Iconium. Hopefully you should have to ability to produce Saracen Militia and Hashishin's at Inconium at this point and can have a nice base of good troops for the generals to take once they get there (don't forget some HA's from Caesarea). Build a decent navy and send your generals to capture Rhodes, then Nicosia, and finally land and take Adana.

At this point your second south expanding army should be almost gone from leaving behind garrisons and sieging. But that's ok because the computer normally calls a Jihad on Baghdad at this point (or call one yourself)! Join and take Baghdad. Sweep back with Antioch in your eye, and take Edessa and Aleppo along the way. Egypt with probably be in Antioch by the time you get there, so it's about time you start that eventual war as well.

Don't worry, Egypt is normally a total pushover and the biggest problem expanding south through all the holy hands is keeping a big enough garrison for public order.

Once you have Jerusalem you should be able to get a peace agreement from Egypt if you need to (for teching up Jerusalem/Acre for example). If not, continue on and destroy Egypt. Once you have all of Egypt's lands, you should have about 20-22 provinces and be reaching that "critical mass" stage where you simply have too large an econamy and too many good troops for anyone to cause you any problems.

Once you hit critical mass, you can pretty much go about taking over Europe how ever you like. I do caution about expanding north of Tblisi, I normally use Tblisi as a choking point for the mongols.

As for the mongols and Timirids, pray. Pray and build up defenses in the holy lands. Hold them at river crossings and make them pay dearly for every city they take.

Good Luck and may Allah smile on you

ı'm playing with turks in vh\vh campaign. and ı can tell you it is very easy(for me)...let me give you some advice...first: storm adana with your units @ iconium and cae.. then change it to a city. while you're doing this, attack to tiblis and trabzon with a jihad army...and you dont pay any upkeeps for the units in the jihad army...thats a nice thing to know...these are some of the stuff you should do...now lets come to the economical an diplomatical side of the game
    at the start you have to ally wit byz and egypt...byz will attack you but if you take all those settelments ı told you you will have no prolems.after all some lousy greecs cant withstand a turkish army.. :) sorry thats a little bit rasisct,but thats the truth...whatever. you will have a very rich treasure chest if you sack all the settelments you capture...but if you want a very strong economy, you have to take all of the middle-east...then in little time you will be the richest faction...

and lets come to mongols:
    they are easy ro stop.
    yes they are...
    you can stop them in mosul or tiblis
    when mongols come those two castles will be very important, and with a very strong garrison with lots of ottoman infantry, mongols will be a dust in history...
    thats the same for timurids...

have fun lads...

and dont forget: the only way to independance is REVOLUTİON...

thanks for listening....

I recommend Turkey for anyone who wants to play their first Islamic faction. I'm am finding them extremely easy. I already destroyed the BE by using large armies of horse archer types and other archers. I also I also control all the cities paralell to baghdad. Most of the stuff is rebel, so in the beginning take as much as you can. Jihads are really effective because they give you money and free upkeep on your troops.

a general tip for the turks (or egyptians) is that after you have conqured the middle east - build farming improvements - you want to to be able to tech up these settlemetns with at least ballista towers by the time of the mongol invasion.

Trully i do not fear the Mongols like in MTW1.I was spam creating pikemens to stop their cavalary bur in MTW2,they are rushing to Anatolia befora i impoved my settlements.Yes,Jihads are so useful but towns are always predictable which is unhappy most of the time:)

There is no way to be ally with byzantines so we have to start praying that Egyptians shall not betray their Muslim friends.Trebizond and Tblis is easy to take but i always keep Adana to last cuz Adana is not easy to conquer with typing here:)You need large armies to get rid of armenian cavalary.

But the most disadvantage thing is to start in Anatolia..Hard mobilzing is a problematic which can not be held by paved roads...I am defending very well against Byzantines in Iconeum but thats not valid for assaults so i am waiting about 80 turns to march Constantinople...

Anyway,i am trying new strategies atm but do not tell me that Turks are easy to play...They are the hardest one...Its not like Scotland or Denmark..:)

Napoleon Bonaparte

Hz.Muhammed

Grand Duke of Zilch Member supadodo's Avatar
    I'm Asian, pick a country in Asia. Most of us look alike anyway.

As the Turks I find that their early game is not as hard as it is. The byzntines will attack you no matter what but a alliance can be set with Egypt as long as you maintain a good relationship. I recommend going for a jihad to Antioch coz its a cash cow and then turn against the byzantines by immediately taking Niceae. Sipahis and Turkomans pwn everything the Byzantines can throw against you. You may need to play sneaky when trying to take Constantinople by taking it while they move out their army once in a while. Once Constantinople is yours, Byzantine power will be greatly weakened and you can start expanding in the east again. Build ships to block of the two access points from Greece to Asia Minor. If you can, call for a jihad to Baghdad. The egyptians will join in but you have mosul so you can get there way faster. Sack it and voila! Insta cash! With your new cash, build up constantinople defences because a crusade will likly be called there. Race against the egyptians for the settlements south of antioch to prevent them expanding but if you have an alliance, i suggest you don't break it just yet or you may end up losing moey trying to defend both ends. As you gain cash and expand your borders, make sure your far eastern settlements are well developed(use farms and health buildings to speed things up).Stock your garrison full of trebuchets and archers and get ballista towers. Now prepare for the Mongols. Once they are done, the world is your oyster. So far I have gone as far as taking Rome and killing and have destroyed most of the Eastern European superpowers save for Russia which I can't be bothered with a weakling like that. I am now in a superpower headlock with Denmark which is the second strongest faction after mine. Man their infantry are tough and those Norse Clerics pwn on the field.
    Weird Facts I have contemplated

-Thesaurus is not a species of dinosaur.
    -Potassium is not found in potatoes.
    -Its Naples, not Nipples.
    -All roads certainly do not lead to Rome. Does your state highway link you to it?
    - Dog is God spelled backwards but praying to dogs is a bit stupid.
    - Fart is Hydrogen Sulfide with methane and oxygen and is indeed flammable.
    - Igniting a fart is painful.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast