Thread: Free ukpeep of milita units in towns

Default Free ukpeep of milita units in towns

I've noticed, that milita units, if kept in towns, cost no upkeep. But I don't know in advance how many of them each town can support , nor do I know which builidings raise this number and I can't find this info in the manual...

Any help?

Default Re: Free ukpeep of milita units in towns

I just saw this somewhere in a post earlier today... I believe it goes in order from 1 or 2 units to 6, going from smallest level of a settlement to largest by increments of 1 more unit per increase.

It seems like any unit with the word "militia" in its name is eligible for free upkeep. Just right-click the citys walls and it'll show you how many units it can support for free.

Right-click you say? Will try this, thanks! Also, it might be useful to know, that milita units with highest upkeep are the first on the list for the free upkeep. If you have, say, two units of milita cavalry (playing as Venice), two units of milita crossbowmen and two units of Italian milita and a city can support 4 units for free, it will support two cavalry units (highest upkeep) and two units of crossbowmen. Its not much but it is usefull to know that

Harbinger of the Doomed Rat Member Biggus Diccus's Avatar

You actually have to be able to build the militia units in the city barracks before they are eligible to free upkeep.
    General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmaney Melchett: That's the spirit, George. If nothing else works, then a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

I hink you have to train the militiaunits in the settlement.

BLEEEE! Senior Member Daveybaby's Avatar

No, they dont have to be trained in the settlement itself, they just have to be able to be trained in the settlement. This may not sound like a big difference, but its very useful to have one city with the top level armourer you can manage churning out upgraded militia units for the other cities.

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

One exception I noted last night was that in Antwerp, I could only recruit town militia but I could support spear militia for free. I could not support archer militia though.