Thread: Sweden

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default Sweden

The official thread will be used to add more information about the faction.

For now you can post anything you find useful including ideas for faction specific buildings, events, advisors etc MILITARY UNITS EXCLUDED - that is well researched and only later we will possibly need more details.

Default Re: Sweden

Hi there, this is my first post in this forum...
    I'm a swedish history-student (currently active) and I have a few ideas about unique buildings and systems. This mod - it's from the 16th century and forward - correct? If so - you should really enhance the fact that Sweden was one of the most bureocratic countries in europe at this time. The centralization of government grew stronger and stronger after emergence of Gustav Wasa as ruler of Sweden. I would suggest somekind of building which can decrese corruption in areas.

In the 17th century the native german rulers of Gustav Adolphus, his doughter Kristina and later Karl X, XI and XII made Sweden an absolutive monarchy (more so after Karl X demise) - this can absolutely be used as an event which gives more money to the player (with the many reductions - the selling of nobilities lands - of Karl X and XI).

As advisors - there was a strong riksråd (the kings advisors) which can be a trait given to generals and priests (bishops and higher ranking priests that is).

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

In general I am rather very well informed about the Swedish army and state, but I would like to listen to your ideas.

If you could post some of those I am sure we could discuss some of them and hopefully there will be something new to exploit.

About the bureocracy (pardon my bad spelling)
    I think that in adding somekind of royal courthouse (not sure about the name) bulding for cities of size you could emphasis the Swedish state as a centralized state (which as you know was the only thing that made it possible for sweden to wage war in the 17th century). This building maybe could make it possible to recruit more men (by making the drafting work more properly in the area) and perhaps make corruption a little lesser. Another idea is just to change the name of the existing barracks to something more proper.

The centralized state of the German-Swedish kings could be an event (just for Sweden of course) that add more money from kings purse for a set time or perhaps when you are at war. I don't think that this should be much money, just a small sum with more emphasis on the event itself.

You should really think about adding the trait "Member of Kings Counsil" to Swedish faction - maybe it'll add some loyalty for the general and lower the pious score in case of a priests.

Other than that - I have no ideas at present, exept with the military, but since you stated that you allready are "very well informed" in that area I think you'll ask for help if there's something you are having second thoughts about.

Quote Originally Posted by Hrimfar
    Hi there, this is my first post in this forum...
    I'm a swedish history-student (currently active) and I have a few ideas about unique buildings and systems. This mod - it's from the 16th century and forward - correct? If so - you should really enhance the fact that Sweden was one of the most bureocratic countries in europe at this time. The centralization of government grew stronger and stronger after emergence of Gustav Wasa as ruler of Sweden. I would suggest somekind of building which can decrese corruption in areas.

In the 17th century the native german rulers of Gustav Adolphus, his doughter Kristina and later Karl X, XI and XII made Sweden an absolutive monarchy (more so after Karl X demise) - this can absolutely be used as an event which gives more money to the player (with the many reductions - the selling of nobilities lands - of Karl X and XI).

As advisors - there was a strong riksråd (the kings advisors) which can be a trait given to generals and priests (bishops and higher ranking priests that is).
    Just a minor fault but Gustav II Adolf cannot be seen as a "native german king" due to that his grandfather was Gustav Vasa himself. However that doesnt mean that the family didnt have close german ancestry and family ties.

The "native german" kings starts with Karl X..cousin to Kristina and son of Johan Kasimir of Pfalz-Zweibrücken. However i dare to say that he was more a swede than a german most of his life.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    With the buildings I agree that the efficiency of the always moneylacking state should be shown. Its quite admirable to see how the rulers and state officials managed to always find new sources of income to keep the armies on the continent standing.

As for advisors Axel Oxenstierna is the obvious choice in the early decades of the 1600s. He became virtually the leader of the country after Gustav II (leading a noble council with the function to rule the country until Kirstina had reached the proper age) but he played a large role both after and before that event.

Events: Here i have a few suggestions like something with a "lion of the north theme" for Gustav II to allowing to get more resources (and allies) in northern Germany for fighting against the HRE Emperor and his chatolic allies.

Other suggestions i have is that an event were sweden gains a considerable financial boost from France to keep its troops fighting in German theater of war during the 30 years wars. In reality this agreement had a huge impact of the war, without that support the swedish armies (wich to a large part consisted of mercenaries) would be considerably decimated (by desertion and starvation).

I also agree that the reduction of noble assets should be a event in the late 1600s.