Thread: Wallachia

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default Wallachia

The official thread will be used to add more information about the faction.

For now you can post anything you find useful including ideas for faction specific buildings, events, advisors etc MILITARY UNITS EXCLUDED - that is well researched and only later we will possibly need more details.

Default Re: Wallachia

Most important event for this faction would be mihai viteazu's(michael the brave) reign
    Starts in 1593 as a turkish vasal he is very rich being the former ban of oltenia sort of a prince of wales title if you like.
    By 1601 he had taken moldova and transylvania beat the turks the poles the moldovans the transilvanians and the hapsburgs.If you require more ample detail you can rely on me.
    Most important events 1595 the battle of calugareni turks get thuroughly defeated they virtually are sunk in a swamp.After this defeat wallachian armies reach as far as adrainopol(edirne) endagering constantinopole but wavering suport from the pope ,venice and the hapsburgs forces'em to retreat however after this the turks did not bother wallachia till after 1601 .
    As for units there would be boyars and boyar bands. Boyars in this era were heavy infantry a sort of dismounted knights they could be mounted but they mainly fought on foot.Boyar band spearmen ,horsemen and archers would be 3 other units.(these bands are sort of a romanian version of feudal men at arms)
    Also razesi are free peasents they were spearmen but better then regular militai since they fougth often andwere very good ambushers. And also mihai created a new unit "calareti" they were named a sort of medium heavy cav.I'll have to look into it, since moldova isn't in you could add to wallchia orhei-archers and moldavian cavalry. While some units aren't very well documented i can look into it.

Rex Pelasgorum et Valachorum Member Rex_Pelasgorum's Avatar

Mircea cel Batran (XIV - XV century) , during his reign was the most interesting period in the early history of Vallachia, in my opinion.

Mircea was able to defeat the Ottomans, and when the civil war struck the ottoman empire, he even managed to intervene alongside Musa and Mustafa. he also fought alongside the crusaders in the battle of Nicopole.

Also, earlyer, Basarab I the Founder in 1330, was able to inflict a crushing defeat upon the Hungarians at the battle of Posada, when he managed to defeat (in a treacherous ambush), the 30 000 men strong army of the Hungarian king Carol Robert de Anjou, putting an end to the Hungarians expansion towards the Black Sea.

Wallachia also had a rich cultural-religious life... more to come
    Dogma nemuririi sufletului îi fãcea curajosi fãrã margini, dispretuitori fatã de orice pericol, poftitori de moarte (apetitus morti) luptãtori cu hotarâre si cu o întreprindere de speriat.
    (Metianus Capella)

Please limit yourself to the period between 1570 and 1700.

I am actually interested in possible character traits - unique to Wallachia, local architecture and city plans.

In the beginning I need the official name of the faction in Romanian, names and plans of the most important cities ( I will decide how many provinces will be there later) and fortresses.

Also most important river crossings, general information about trade goods, agriculture and economy.

The military part is well researched already - the mod is a sequel of PMTW1 for MTW VI - I might need some detailed information later, though.

Ok
    Main cicties targoviste and bucuresti though in 1570 more like keeps they were the major cities but for provinces oltenia would be one capital craiova oltenia was the province of the ban of oltenai the most powerfoul noble(boyar) in walachia would make a great castle prov as oposed to bucuresti a town and the seat of the prince since 1459 in vlad tepes's time (dracula if you like).
    Official romania name Tara romaneasca or Muntenia in most history books in romania it is named Tara romaneasca.
    Valahia is almost unknown in romania except for gamers and people who have read western history book.
    another good prov that was valahian till 1418 woudl be dobrogea and should have constanta as capital a trade port at the balack sea.
    Names you mean boyar names or what kind of names.you want wallachian rulers or what?
    For boyar's major families were
    Sturza, Vacaresti, Buzesti ,Movila(in moldova)
    Rares, Stroe
    Here is a preety good list of valahian monarchs it's from wilkipedia but it's good
    http://ro.wikipedia.org/wiki/List%C4...mnitori_valahi
    Most of them were reach merchants or powerful nobles as with money you could buy the suport of the sultan and he would give you an army and so you might take the throne in wallachia ereditary rule was very rare due to a stupid feudal law that allowed anyone who was in some way related to someone who at some point ruled walalchia could have a right to rule by the 1700's some 10-15% of the population could claim the throne.This was a very bad thing for wallachia the same thing was true of moldova.
    River crossing the olt river most important but not on the map between wallachia and oltenai over the danube 3 main river croosings no bridges till 1883 mind you so crossings were near vidin near the banat also in the center on the giurgiu ruse direction don;t have a map to show you so check the names on the modern map cause that's why i am giving them another one was near braila galati and another at cernavoda .
    Agriculture feudal in a word with free peasents razesi or moseni depending on the sreason also in 1850 255 of land was rtuled by the orthodox church greatast feudal of them all in 1829 90% of the land was woodlan so wood should be a resource also salt adn wheat should be the resources maybe furs as hunting eas very widespread and the forest were roamed by zimbri a sort of european bizon stiil exist in poland and romania though only some 2-3000 left they were the game the princes haunted.
    Economy mostly agriculturae and trading with everithing that pased form hungary south to tyhe turks and also with the genoese and venetians while they stiil owned the ports also along the donau(dunare in romanian).
    If you need more info i will be here.

About the prince list fiul means son and nepot means nephew just so you know oh and lui means of, so it reads son of nephew of .Cheers

Gentis Daciae Member Cronos Impera's Avatar

Unit plan
    Your P&M units from the MTW mod +

Lefegii

Their name meaning simply mercenaries in Romanian, the Lefegii ware actually foreign criminals in the Voievode's service.These men came from many different ethnic backgrounds (Serbs, Poles, Magyars, Albanians, Bulgarians), and ware used for all sorts of missions. Some of them faught on the battlefield while others ware used on assasination missions against the ever disloyal boyars.
    " If you don't want me, I want you! Alexandru Lapusneanul"
    "They are a stupid mob, but neverless they are a mob! Alexandru Lapusneanul"

while looking on wikipedia i found out that bucharest was not always the capital of wallachia, and when the mod begins it isnt a major city so will it be in?

Mediaeval Auctoriso Member Member Renown's Avatar

While looking on wikipedia...

wow. Please, PLEASE tell me you do not do all your research on Wiki.

You realize that the majority of it is unsubstantiated right? and that anyone can edit it, not just a history professor, but someone who wants to type something that is plain wrong.

The editors themselves are users who have been there for a while, that does not necessarily make their 'opinion' more correct than any others, they just have been selected.

The whole idea of Wiki is in reality, stupid.
    Last edited by Renown; 01-11-2007 at 05:57.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Sometimes Targoviste was the capital of Wallachia.

@Renown

Well mate, 80% of the Wiki is right, plus, these guys are from my country, so they know what's wrong and what's not.
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

i only look on it for maps and basic information nothing detailed.

Default Wallachia

I have some really good information about the armies of the principality of Wallachia, called Tara Romaneaca in romanian or Muntenia. I have also some information about the armies of Transylvenia. If you need them I could post them.
    About the mod, Ithink that will be the best mod for MTW2

Hope so.

For now feel free to post anything except the military part ( exemplary roster will be posted later and I will need comments of the supporters like you).

For now the most important thing is to collect detailed maps of the territory and most important cities/castles.

The data about the economy is also very important.

About the name: Wallachia, is better know as Ţara Românească or Ţara Românească Muntenia
    Cities: the most important cities in the second half of the XVI century were: Târgovişte (the capital of the country, but in duality with Bucharest, a population of aprox 5250 in 1581 ),Bucureşti(Bucharest in english, was favoured as a residence by most rulers since XVI century, in 1700 the population reached 50000 people so in 1570 the it had a population of more than 10000 ), Craiova (the most important city in Oltenia), Câmpulung (a population of aprox 4750 in 1581), Brăila (a city held bz turks since 1538), Giurgiu and Turnu (the last two cities were also held by turks)
    Economy: iron - Baia de Fier in Mehedinti county, copper - Baia de Aramă in Mehedinti, salt - Ocnele Mari in Valcea county, Slanic and Teleaga in Prahova County

Castles in Walachia:Turnu (now Turnu Magurele), Brăila and Giurgiu were turkish strongholds north of the Danube. Bucharest and Târgovişte - the two capitals of the country - had a palisade around the city and a walled Royal Court, wall made of stone and bricks. The strongholds of Bucharest and Targovişte were rather weak, and the turks conquered these castles many times. Many monasteries were used as strongholds - Bradu, Vintilă Vodă in Buzau County, Comana in Giurgiu County, Tismana.
    Who can I post some maps?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Mihai_1600.png

i no its wiki but its just a general map

I have some maps but I don't Know how to post them

About the politic situation of Wallachia, Moldova and Transylvania:
    In 1514 greedy nobles and an ill-planned crusade sparked a widespread peasant revolt in Hungary and Transylvania. Well-armed peasants under György Dózsa sacked estates across the country. Despite strength of numbers, however, the peasants were disorganized and suffered a decisive defeat at Timisoara. Dózsa and the other rebel leaders were tortured and executed. After the revolt, the Hungarian nobles enacted laws that condemned the serfs to eternal bondage and increased their work obligations. With the serfs and nobles deeply alienated from each other and jealous magnates challenging the king's power, Hungary was vulnerable to outside aggression. The Ottomans stormed Belgrade in 1521, routed a feeble Hungarian army at Mohács in 1526, and conquered Buda in 1541. They installed a pasha to rule over central Hungary; Transylvania became an autonomous principality under Ottoman suzerainty; and the Habsburgs assumed control over fragments of northern and western Hungary

After Buda's fall, Transylvania, though a vassal state of the Sublime Porte (as the Ottoman government was called), entered a period of broad autonomy. As a vassal, Transylvania paid the Porte an annual tribute and provided military assistance; in return, the Ottomans pledged to protect Transylvania from external threat. Native princes governed Transylvania from 1540 to 1690. Transylvania's powerful, mostly Hungarian, ruling families, whose position ironically strengthened with Hungary's fall, normally chose the prince, subject to the Porte's confirmation; in some cases, however, the Turks appointed the prince outright. The Transylvanian Diet became a parliament, and the nobles revived the Union of Three Nations, which still excluded the Romanians from political power. Princes took pains to separate Transylvania's Romanians from those in Walachia and Moldavia and forbade Eastern Orthodox priests to enter Transylvania from Walachia

The Protestant Reformation spread rapidly in Transylvania after Hungary's collapse, and the region became one of Europe's Protestant strongholds. Transylvania's Germans adopted Lutheranism, and many Hungarians converted to Calvinism. However, the Protestants, who printed and distributed catechisms in the Romanian language, failed to lure many Romanians from Orthodoxy. In 1571 the Transylvanian Diet approved a law guaranteeing freedom of worship and equal rights for Transylvania's four "received" religions: Roman Catholic, Lutheran, Calvinist, and Unitarian. The law was one of the first of its kind in Europe, but the religious equality it proclaimed was limited. Orthodox Romanians, for example, were free to worship, but their church was not recognized as a received religion

Once the Ottomans conquered Buda, Walachia and Moldavia lost all but the veneer of independence and the Porte exacted heavy tribute. The Turks chose Walachian and Moldavian princes from among the sons of noble hostages or refugees at Constantinople. Few princes died a natural death, but they lived enthroned amid great luxury. Although the Porte forbade Turks to own land or build mosques in the principalities, the princes allowed Greek and Turkish merchants and usurers to exploit the principalities' riches. The Greeks, jealously protecting their privileges, smothered the developing Romanian middle class

The Romanians' final hero before the Turks and Greeks closed their stranglehold on the principalities was Walachia's Michael the Brave (1593-1601). Michael bribed his way at the Porte to become prince. Once enthroned, however, he rounded up extortionist Turkish lenders, locked them in a building, and burned it to the ground. His forces then overran several key Turkish fortresses. Michael's ultimate goal was complete independence, but in 1598 he pledged fealty to Holy Roman Emperor Rudolf II. A year later, Michael captured Transylvania, and his victory incited Transylvania's Romanian peasants to rebel. Michael, however, more interested in endearing himself to Transylvania's nobles than in supporting defiant serfs, suppressed the rebels and swore to uphold the Union of Three Nations. Despite the prince's pledge, the nobles still distrusted him. Then in 1600 Michael conquered Moldavia

For the first time a single Romanian prince ruled over all Romanians, and the Romanian people sensed the first stirring of a national identity. Michael's success startled Rudolf. The emperor incited Transylvania's nobles to revolt against the prince, and Poland simultaneously overran Moldavia. Michael consolidated his forces in Walachia, apologized to Rudolf, and agreed to join Rudolf's general, Giörgio Basta, in a campaign to regain Transylvania from recalcitrant Hungarian nobles. After their victory, however, Basta executed Michael for alleged treachery. Michael the Brave grew more impressive in legend than in life, and his short-lived unification of the Romanian lands later inspired the Romanians to struggle for cultural and political unity

In Transylvania Basta's army persecuted Protestants and illegally expropriated their estates until Stephen Bocskay (1605-07), a former Habsburg supporter, mustered an army that expelled the imperial forces. In 1606 Bocskay concluded treaties with the Habsburgs and the Turks that secured his position as prince of Transylvania, guaranteed religious freedom, and broadened Transylvania's independence. After Bocskay's death and the reign of the tyrant Gabriel Báthory (1607-13), the Porte compelled the Transylvanians to accept Gábor Bethlen (1613-29) as prince. Transylvania experienced a golden age under Bethlen's enlightened despotism. He promoted agriculture, trade, and industry, sank new mines, sent students abroad to Protestant universities, and prohibited landlords from denying an education to children of serfs

After Bethlen died, however, the Transylvanian Diet abolished most of his reforms. Soon György Rákóczi I (1630-40) became prince. Rákóczi, like Bethlen, sent Transylvanian forces to fight with the Protestants in the Thirty Years' War; and Transylvania gained mention as a sovereign state in the Peace of Westphalia. Transylvania's golden age ended after György Rákóczi II (1648-60) launched an ill-fated attack on Poland without the prior approval of the Porte or Transylvania's Diet. A Turkish and Tatar army routed Rákóczi's forces and seized Transylvania. For the remainder of its independence, Transylvania suffered a series of feckless and distracted leaders, and throughout the seventeenth century Transylvania's Romanian peasants lingered in poverty and ignorance

During Michael the Brave's brief tenure and the early years of Turkish suzerainty, the distribution of land in Walachia and Moldavia changed dramatically. Over the years, Walachian and Moldavian princes made land grants to loyal boyars in exchange for military service so that by the seventeenth century hardly any land was left. Boyars in search of wealth began encroaching on peasant land and their military allegiance to the prince weakened. As a result, serfdom spread, successful boyars became more courtiers than warriors, and an intermediary class of impoverished lesser nobles developed. Would-be princes were forced to raise enormous sums to bribe their way to power, and peasant life grew more miserable as taxes and exactions increased. Any prince wishing to improve the peasants' lot risked a financial shortfall that could enable rivals to out-bribe him at the Porte and usurp his position

In 1632 Matei Basarab (1632-54) became the last of Walachia's predominant family to take the throne; two years later, Vasile Lupu (1634-53), a man of Albanian descent, became prince of Moldavia. The jealousies and ambitions of Matei and Vasile sapped the strength of both principalities at a time when the Porte's power began to wane. Coveting the richer Walachian throne, Vasile attacked Matei, but the latter's forces routed the Moldavians, and a group of Moldavian boyars ousted Vasile. Both Matei and Vasile were enlightened rulers, who provided liberal endowments to religion and the arts, established printing presses, and published religious books and legal codes

Do you need any help for Wallachian units list? If you need I could help you, just say.

Wallachia at this time maintained close political relations with the other three Romanian principalities (Transylvania and Moldova). There were attempts to build on what Mihai Viteazul had achieved through his union, with fierce fighting against the Ottomans by all three principalities. This period saw the greatest opportunity for the Romanian principalities to restore full independence (as they were under Turkish suzerainty). Mihnea III of Wallachia is an important example. Though he only reigned for two years, he had taken a strong stance against the Ottomans, allying himself with George Rakoczi II of Transylvania and Constantine Serban of Moldova (who had previously reigned over Wallachia). Mihnea III gave a decisive victory against the Ottomans at Fratesti on November 23, 1659. However, tragedy struck, as Mihnea III ended up dying in mysterious circumstances, Constantine Serban fled to Poland in exile, and George Rakoczi II was defeated at the battle of Gilau on May 22, 1660; and ended up dying of his wounds. By 1662, the Ottomans had established supremacy over all three principalities.

There was great cooperation between the three principalities, despite the wars between Matei Basarab and Vasile Lupu. For instance, Gabriel Bethlen, the prince of Transylvania, ascended to his throne with the help of Radu Mihnea, prince of Wallachia and Stefan Tomsa, prince of Moldova. Bethlen then signed a formal alliance with Wallachian prince Gavril Movila in 1619. Bethlen in fact had aspirations of being a "second uniter", after Mihai Viteazul, visioning himself as a ruler of "Dacia." Transylvania also won a significant victory in the 30 Years War at Dregelypalank in 1645, with military assistance from Wallachia and Moldova.

However, if there was a time for Romanians to gain independence in the Early Modern era, the 17th century was it. Michael the Brave had created the precedent, driving the Turks as far back as Adrianople and uniting all three principalities. The collapse of the Kingdom of Hungary in 1526 created an independent Transylvania, which quickly allied with the other three principalities, and took a similary "tributary state" relationship with the Porte (Ottomans). The Ottomans in the mean time had been declining in power, as Michael had proven, and due to their rivalry with the Habsburgs. Meanwhile, the Russians were as yet not powerful enough to exert too significant of a hold on the Romanian principalities. All in all, this time had the potential of being a Romanian golden age.

Also write the names with diacritics, as in Romanian, diacritics don't indicate accents, but a separate letter in itself. Most Romanians don't use them, because of the stupid keyboard configuration. In 2004 the standard was changed to a very good layout (a little late if you ask me) and implemented in Vista. There are patches for previous Windows versions on secarica.ro . Vista also supports the correct ş,ţ with commas, not cedillas (but I recommend the incorrect cedilla version for compatibility).