Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Midkemia : Total War

Default Re: Midkemia : Total War

Maculio, you've made (or are making) my dream come true. The first thing that occurred to me when the game was being released (or RTW, for that matter) was "why haven't anyone done a Riftwar mod?".

Not sure if I could be much use, having no talent for modelling/skinning/graphics, but I'd love to help with research and perhaps writing unit descriptions and such. Gives me an excuse to re-read the books again (for about the sixth time).
    Official Chivalry TW Beta Tester

"Whatever enables us to go to war, secures our peace." Thomas Jefferson

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself." John Stuart Mill

actually i have encountered a large problem at the moment - Raymond E. Feist does not allow any fan fiction based upon his books so i'm not sure if this is actually going to happen anymore
    Leader of The Machiavellian Syndicate - A open community for modders and fans to talk about Total War and Oblivion.

Yorkist Senior Member NagatsukaShumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maculio
    actually i have encountered a large problem at the moment - Raymond E. Feist does not allow any fan fiction based upon his books so i'm not sure if this is actually going to happen anymore
    Are you sure this isn't "fan fiction for profit" rather than fan fiction as a whole?
    RIP TosaInu
    Ja Mata

yes i am sure, he does not allow fan fiction of anykind without consent - and i can't find how to contact him anywhere
    Leader of The Machiavellian Syndicate - A open community for modders and fans to talk about Total War and Oblivion.

Can he stop you legally from doing it?

Isn't it legal as long as you dont make money from it?

i thought it was but Feist holds intellectual property rights and it is illegal if any of his material reproduced, modified or any other form of imitation ( admittedly if you added a i to everyname and changed the map it would technically be legal but he wouldn't be too happy)

I remember something similar happening with a Midkemia mod for Neverwinter Nights. I think the mod authors actually contacted Feist and he was not at all receptive to the idea. It is too bad really, and I dont see how a game mod could hurt his career anymore then his last few books have.

yeh, i think Ray just doesn't like the thought of other people making things out of his work. Shame really, the potential for a midkemia mod for M2TW is massive, with the new timeframe suiting the time of his narratives.

Smile Re: Midkemia : Total War

i just stumbled upon this and have registered just so i can add my 2 cents to this thread. i dont even know if anyone will see it seeing as the last comment was made in 2006....lol...did they say lol back then? lol.

anyway...im a massive midkemian nerd too...books wise...and gaming wise. I think that feist holds to his rights not to let anyone try make this game (mods, gaming companies) because this midkemia is his and his mates baby.It has grown. and they want the best for their baby. they dont want to sit down and play something that is unsatisfying. or missing aspects which are either unforgivable, academic, trivial, essential or too hard...that's in *their* opinion, and they'll see it that way. after all, they (feist and co.) created it. Feist told it. So maybe fesit is thinking, if u cant deliver it all, you cant have it (game). but look around us fellow nerds (dont take that personally just cause u were teased at school, im a nerd too, and im sure your just as cool as i am) there's gaming technology that would make robo cop short circuit out there. and its only a matter of time. unfortunately unless i get mega rich in the near future it's probably gonna be a long time, like 5-10 years i predict.

In a nut shell. unless u can encompass it all, bring the game play, deliver the story, and convince the king. it aint gonna happen. there's no half arsed midkemia. there's a gaming engine that will do it, it's been done with world of wow. and midkemia will take it to the next level, harbouring all that wow is missing, and the potential to cut out all that isn't needed.

i may have potentially just given my eyes a good ranting, considering that they may only be mine to have heard, but midkemia isnt assasins creed, or dragon age origins. its epic, and its the only way we'll get there, save via the hall.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12