Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining Royal Bloodline and Family Tree

Default Maintaining Royal Bloodline and Family Tree

I've read in a number of threads about people's frustration that this latest Total War release has removed the ability to appoint your own faction heir. I'd be interested in any comments and pointers on the subject of how the A.I. determines who to appoint as heir. It is not a simple matter of which character has the most authority rings or the eldest eligible male in the tree. I'll share what I've learned.

1.) Be very, very selective about which candidates for adoption and suitors for your princesses you accept. I know the need for governors tends to cause people to agree to the first candidates offered, but this need can be fulfilled otherwise. The A.I. will throw at you all the rabble in the known world depending on your ratio of settlements to your number of general-aged male family members. You will continue to be offered candidates nearly every turn dependant upon this ratio. Be patient and only accept the ones you really want to take up one of the 4 slots per family character allotted for your character's children.

1A.) An adopted family member (either a random candidate, man of the hour, or worthy non-family-member general) cannot marry one of the sister princesses of his own benefactor, but he can marry a princess of another leg of your family tree which will allow this adoption to have children still carrying the royal bloodline. The princess from the other family leg will drop down to be the wife of your adopted family member which, I think, opens that family slot in the princess leg for another birth or adoption. If your princess marries one of your non-family member generals, she stays put in her family tree place and the general takes his place as a family member next to her.

1B.) The random births for your family members is one aspect of the game that cannot be cheated away as far as I know. Save before the end of each turn, and reload to get your desired results - (i.e. either a male or female child, adoption candidate name, etc). If you continue to get the same exact scrolls at the beginning of your turn after reloading, try changing something before the end of the previous turn like moving a character, building something different, etc. There are usually only 2 different potential results without changing some aspect of your end-turn scenario. You could also try quitting the game completely and restarting.

1C.) Only your ruling king (at the time of birth) and current faction heir (at the coming of age time) will produce character princesses you can control. Use princesses wisely to forge alliances or carry your bloodline to your adopted family members.

1D.) Be selective about the potential wives offered for your king, faction heir, and family members. Some family members will likely never be the faction heir - let them marry the rabble and start producing offspring. Be patient with the more important members of your family tree. A character who is 45 years old can easily still produce 4 children before he dies off around 60.

2. I think the percentage of royal blood lines, whether they be from your own or another faction, could be a determining factor in the A.I.'s choice of your next faction heir. I've had a 16 year old general with little command ability or authority be chosen as faction heir over an older, stronger family member candidate. Try saving your game and killing off your king by suicide within a few turns to see who your next faction heir will be. You can then go back and do what is necessary to change that determination by cheating bad character traits which decrease authority and command for the unwanted choice while increasing these factors for the character you want. Or just suicide the A.I.'s choice of next faction heir.

(I agree with another thread contributor that we shouldn't necessarily be whining for patches from the game manufacturer for aspects of the game that can easily be fixed by cheats or mods. That's the reason why I think cheats and mods are made possible for us by the game developers - in order to make the game into what you want it to be. Some players enjoy the battle aspects of the game the most, some enjoy the campaign aspect, some are fond of assassins, or diplomacy, or turning it into an RPG. An example of this is with RTW where some people thought the original release made it too easy to bribe foreign or rebel generals - the 1st patch closed that potential but made the game more difficult for those of us who enjoyed building our faction by scouting for and bribing additions to our faction.) Which brings me to the next point in my topic...

3. I think some newbie players don't even realize there is a difference between family members and just plain faction generals, and it is possible to add plain generals to your faction (useful as governors or battle) without making them family members and using up your allotted slots in your family tree. Some factions even start out with non-family member generals - I know Portugal has one at start, Sicily has one, as well as a few other factions of which I'm not aware. The A.I. will likely eventually offer these generals as candidates for adoption as family members if you have open slots and the characters don't degenerate to total worthlessness. Bribery can be used to add non-family generals to your faction. As I stated above, this has been made much more difficult since the first patch for RTW, but it can be made possible by applying a few cheats.

3A.) You can cheat a diplomat or many to have the ability of "SmoothTalker 3" which is the main attribute for diplomats to be able to successfully bribe foreign generals whether rebel or foreign faction. I think rebel generals are easier than members of other factions, but it is mostly dependent on the character's traits you are attempting to bribe. Bribing any foreign general to your faction only adds the trait "ExRebel 1" to his trait list which only has the effect of -1 Loyalty. This can also be removed with a cheat after turning the character to your faction. The diplomat trait "Secretive 3" also increases the character's bribery success rate (to a lesser degree than SmoothTalker), but also adds basic diplomat skill where "SmoothTalker" does not. Applying these cheats only makes the game more like it was in the original RTW or MTW. Applying these cheats does not necessarily make the game unrealistic as it still requires large amounts of cash (10,000 - 30,000 on average) to bribe any foreign character to your faction, but it at least can be done. In my current campaign which I modded to allow bribing of El Cid (read previous thread), I have also acquired 4 additional non-family member generals by the year 1090. These generals do not seem to count towards my settlement to family member ratio as the A.I. is still offering me adoption candidates nearly every turn.

3B.) It is more difficult to bribe a character in a settlement since you are also bidding for the settlement as well as the character. Settlements without a character general are usually fairly easy to bribe with a cheat-beefed diplomat, though the settlement may be hard to hold. Bribing any general (foreign faction or rebel) to your faction will likely result in strained relations or even immediate war with the faction where the general is positioned since taking an enemy settlement is an act of war or travelling your new general out of the territory where you bribed him will be considered trespassing. You can lessen the degree to which you upset your neighbors by picking an escape route in advance and moving your new character from one hidden location to another on his path out of foreign lands. I don't like using the "beam me up, Scotty" cheat as this one is just too unrealistic no matter how you explain it in your mind.

3C.) Seducing a foreign character to your faction by marriage to one of your princesses will produce a family member for you and take up a family member slot in your tree whether the character is a foreign general or foreign family member. A foreign family member who still has potential of becoming his original faction's heir apparent will not show in your family tree though you will have control over the character. Bribing a foreign faction character, whether a family member or simple general, will result in a simple general (non-family member) for your faction.

I would appreciate any additional intelligence on this subject since the RPG style family tree aspect of the game is one of my favorite parts. I originally thought there was a bug to the family tree part of the game, but I'm beginning to think it was designed this way to be more realistic to the way rulership was actually appointed in medieval as well as modern royalty. I find this very interesting. My only suggestion to the developers would be to expand the family tree part of the game to make it somehow possible to view other faction's trees (possibly in a game patch, update, or expansion).

I hope this info helps those who, like me, wish they had more control over their family line while still trying to build their faction.

Default Re: Maintaining Royal Bloodline and Family Tree

Interesting post. Thanks for your observations.
    "Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds." -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Pannonian View Post
    The Backroom is the Crackroom.

Yeah, but a lot of cheating involved... ick. That's a lot of work just to play a game which ought to have a better family tree feature in it in the first place- this IS a medieval wargame after all... that means dynasties are involved!

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

You need to use quotes lest you wish to be accused of plagiarism ;)

Anyway, there are 2 outcomes to an action before/after load, that is correct. You can reset that by performing a battle, entering diplomacy or using an agent to perform a special action. This will set it back to 0.

It doesn't matter if you get 4 "kids" early or not because each of those can have 4 more too. So if you adopt 1, he can adopt 4 more, which can adopt 16 more etc.

From what I know, you only have the starting generals as generals (if any) but any thereafter will always be family members, same as in RTW, but in RTW you could produce bodyguards which will generate a general.

The offered candidates at the start of a turn are randomly generated, not "early ones are bad, later ones good". So if you don't like the result you can load your previous save or just reject.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    From what I know, you only have the starting generals as generals (if any) but any thereafter will always be family members, same as in RTW, but in RTW you could produce bodyguards which will generate a general.

I can attest from firsthand knowledge that bribing a foreign or rebel general or family member will result in a simple general (non-family member) for your faction. I don't know if this is the only way to get them, though. Do the "Man of The Hour" candidates always become family members?

Interesting, but as stated above, we shouldn't have to cheat to make the game play correctly. Instead of cheating to improve the diplomat to improve your chances of success I would rather have to work at improving my diplomat over a while, then having him bribe. I think the real problem is that improving diplotmats/princesses/priests is too hard as is (my merchants have no problem leveling up, but almost always get the away from home traits). Perhaps we should question some modders about making the agents a little easier to level up.

Isn't modding just another way of cheating? It's all perspective and semantics. You're changing the game to make it what you want it to be. Some people might like it next to impossible to bribe. Others like it easier. Some think it should be easier to level up characters, some don't. Why change the game for everybody if the desired change can be addressed by yourself for yourself without imposing those changes on others.

Modding is one thing because it makes optional changes for those who wish to apply them, but I don't think we should request update fixes from the developers for preference type things. Updates from the developers should only fix things that are obviously broken.

An adopted family member cannot marry one of the sister princesses of his own benefactor,

But if this was Mississippi Total War they could.

Ricardus Insanusaum Member Bob the Insane's Avatar

When an adoption comes up it states whom the sponsor is. If it is the King or the Prince I do not accept. It is harder for Man of the Hour as he goes to the nearest general so you need a good idea of where your generals are to accept this.

But following this rule you can keep you inheritance working reasonably well I find...

Guardian of the Fleet Senior Member Shahed's Avatar

That's a good post.

I'm having a lot of management headache with my family, it's grown wildly large and the corruption plague is beginning to hit. I don't know what to do with them if I don't use them as governors, but if I do they inevitably become corrupt.

A bit ridiculous that it cannot be controlled. Impose the frekkin SHARIA !!!!!

I still don't understand who gets the faction heir slot..anyway my question is:
    -Can each family couple have a maximum of four kids and not more ?

My view on cheating, just play how you want and don't preach to others how they should play.

I do feel that the family tree is really not working very well. I also have 4 males who are going to die but never got married. I'm playing the Turks so the usual princess issue does'nt (should'nt) arise. However there seems to be some shortage of women in the Turkish Empire as alll these men, heaven knows what's in their testicles, because they just won't get any offers or get married.

Hereditary traits most often seem to take 2 generations to come up and they can easily disappear as well. The randomisation isn't really working well IMO. Or else I don't understand it, one of the two.

I read a post recently the Islamic factions have 100% Public Faith gain chance on a coming of age. I can tell you this, in my game, I now have 30 family members, not a single ONE has gotten this trait on coming of age.
    Last edited by Shahed; 12-14-2006 at 13:43.
    If you remember me from M:TW days add me on Steam, do mention your org name.

http://www.steamcommunity.com/id/__shak

i am currnetly trying to force the game into having a mongol general as king ofpoland! this did require extensive cheating.

firstly bribing cost ~ 800 000 florins! I bribed two general and married them both to princesses (they have had lots of children by the way)

i am now killing off every heir i can get my hands on to try and force th game into accepting one of the mongols.

note- in my first campaign playing as the english i am sure that a general my princess married became heir to the thrown (but died before takiing it).

Sinan:
    Yes, only 4 offspring per couple, but each offspring can have 4 more, so it doesn't really matter.

Also, my turkish family members are getting the ReligiousActivity trait line when coming of age, not the public faith one, but at least some piety!

I never had a trouble getting wives for my turkish men. I seem to get an offer every second turn and only the newest generation isn't married, but for catholic factions I found that to be a problem always. My heir wasn't married even in his 50s...
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Thanks.

Actually yeah that is true ! They get lower a piety trait which I suppose end up higher over time, provided they don't head to the brothel 5 times a day. This must be the 100% thing.

Heavy Metal Warlord Member Von Nanega's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sinan
    Thanks.

Actually yeah that is true ! They get lower a piety trait which I suppose end up higher over time, provided they don't head to the brothel 5 times a day. This must be the 100% thing.
    WHAT!!! No Brothel visits five times a day!! Thats the reward for victories!!!
    Cap badge of the Queens Royal Lancers

The Death or Glory Boys

Sorry, I think my post was misleading. I'm not mad or upset people choose to cheat, I don't and they do. Big whoop; as long as people play clean online. Anyways, what I was meaning to emphasize is that the traits of most agents (and the generals as well) seems to be busted. I read a post earlier about how half of the traits for princesses don't even have triggers i.e. there is no way to earn them.

While people may have differing opinions about how easy or hard bribery should be, a high level diplomat should have better chances, the only problem I see is that isn't nigh impossible to get a high level diplomat, let alone many.

Getting a highly skilled diplomat is totally dependent on luck. Mainly his starting skills. On your own, you can only achieve max 8 points (5 GoodDiplomat, 2 Translator, 1 Foreign Dignitary)

Mainly his natural diplomatic ability is important and also what else he spawns with. The worst you can get is a would-be-inquisitor which gives you -3.

To get the skills, you need to have successful negotiations of any scale. As long as its not a gift but a trade. If you fail though, you have a chance of losing ALL your skill at once as opposed to 1 point.

To get bribery skills, you need to successfully bribe someone. Small rebel stacks are optimal for that.

Now, I have never seen a difference between a skill 0 and skill 10 diplomat, they have always been the same for me, so I don't think you actually need to train one up.

Quote Originally Posted by KARTLOS
    i am currnetly trying to force the game into having a mongol general as king ofpoland! this did require extensive cheating.

firstly bribing cost ~ 800 000 florins! I bribed two general and married them both to princesses (they have had lots of children by the way)

i am now killing off every heir i can get my hands on to try and force th game into accepting one of the mongols.

note- in my first campaign playing as the english i am sure that a general my princess married became heir to the thrown (but died before takiing it).

Now, that's funny. Only a Polish princess would marry a Mongol.

A few more things I've discovered:

For the incest inclined, it is definitely possible to marry blood nieces, nephews, uncles, and 1st cousins. If this doesn't trigger the inbred trait, it should. That would teach those who only like the war part of the game to pay more attention to their family tree.

I read another thread that speculated the heir choice might have something to do with similar traits. I don't know about that - never paid that close attention to that possibility.

I still think it has more to do with being the eldest blood son of the leg in your family tree with the highest man/wife combination of royal blood.

The campaign I'm currently playing will choose a younger, weaker blood son (if he's of age) over an elder adopted son from the same leg. It seems you do have to force the game to appoint an adopted son or son-in-law as faction heir by killing off all other contenders or killing off your king before other contenders are of age.

Then again, there might just be no consistency at all in the A.I. choice of heir. It seems many players have come to this conclusion. In which case, I would wholeheartedly agree that it should be fixed by the company in a future patch. Either way, I wouldn't at all mind if it returned to the way it was in RTW, where you could either choose for yourself or let the game do it for you. For those who like the Roleplaying aspect of the game, not being able to choose and control your family line takes much of the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by FactionHeir
    Getting a highly skilled diplomat is totally dependent on luck. Mainly his starting skills. On your own, you can only achieve max 8 points (5 GoodDiplomat, 2 Translator, 1 Foreign Dignitary)

Mainly his natural diplomatic ability is important and also what else he spawns with. The worst you can get is a would-be-inquisitor which gives you -3.

To get the skills, you need to have successful negotiations of any scale. As long as its not a gift but a trade. If you fail though, you have a chance of losing ALL your skill at once as opposed to 1 point.

To get bribery skills, you need to successfully bribe someone. Small rebel stacks are optimal for that.

Now, I have never seen a difference between a skill 0 and skill 10 diplomat, they have always been the same for me, so I don't think you actually need to train one up.

This could be correct that you don't even need to level up a diplomat. I haven't experimented that much with it. I seem to recall in RTW I was under the impression that the level of the diplomat and game difficulty setting only seemed to make a difference in how much you paid. The main thing was that you had to find candidates open to the idea of being bribed as some will not cross over at any price regardless of your character's skill.

Leveling up a diplomat in the specific trait of "SmoothTalker" without cheats can be accomplished by bribing small bands of units with no leader because you risk the possibility of developing negative diplomat traits when your bribes are refused. You could also just purchase new diplomats nonstop hoping for the chance of a good starting Smoothtalker since it's all a matter of chance. Just kill off the ones you don't want to keep in some suicide ship to avoid the upkeep. They're fairly cheap. 250 to buy, 50 upkeep.

I'm currently struggling with major irritation over this issue.

Grand Duke Vladimir the Scarred inherited the throne of the Russian empire upon the death of his father Grand Duke Ysevolod the Chivalrous, as it should be, seeing as he was Ysevolod's eldest son.

Duke Vladimir's sons had not yet reached the age of majority upon his ascension to the throne, so his youngest brother became the faction heir (Why it wasn't the middle brother, is a sound question, but one best left for another time).

However, Prince Orekh the Gambler refused to surrender his status as heir upon the majority of Grand Duke Vladimir's eldest son Vasilii. This irked Vladimir, and irritating Vladimir the Scarred is an unhealthy passtime.

Prince Orekh the Gambler was sent abroad on a diplomatic mission, and his ship was beset by pirates and sent to the bottom.

Duke Vladimir was quite satisfied, thinking that now the claim of his seven star general son Vasilii the Just was secure... However, someone apparently decided that it would be best to make his youngest son, Miroslav the Mad the heir to the throne.

Naturally this would not do.

Since his vassals were demanding Miroslav the Mad take the throne, Vladimir made the difficult choice to eliminate his own youngest son.

Therefore he did go to Prince Miroslav and told him that he would agree to his ascension on the condition that he take fourty knights and lay the Holy Roman Empire at his feet. Prince Miroslav the Mad set out forthwith, visions of glory in his head.

He was never heard from again. Rumors abound that a ransom note was received from the Holy Roman Empire, but naturally this is simply vile slander concocted by the outlander scum.

The most just and worthy Grand Duke Vladimir believed his troubles were now finally at an end and his great and noble legacy secure.

The council of nobles however seemed bent on perpetuating our most glorious lord's vexation, for they announced their support for his next youngest son, Ivan the Lewd.

It was at this point that the doors of the great hall were locked with the council still inside, and Grand Duke Vladimir the Scarred became known forevermore as Grand Duke Vladimir the Butcher...
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

Inheritance always went to the oldest living male in the family. You do not chose who will be the next king, even as a king.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

Yeah, but inheritance doesn't go to the oldest son of the king in this. That's the problem.

If you had read my above post you would see the game chose my king's youngest son to be heir, and after killing him it chose the next youngest. Completely ignoring the eldest.
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy's begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

They should just allow us to pick again so we can either:

1) Force realism ourselves
    2) Ignore realism and pick the best Kings

It should be up to us, not some silly game algorithm.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeSting
    Inheritance always went to the oldest living male in the family. You do not chose who will be the next king, even as a king.
    Really??

Seriously I am a avid but decidedly amature reader of history and I am interesting in your opinion...

That aside, I wonder if this is some hold over for RTW where there heir was the general with the highest Influence stat and the time the present heir because the faction leader.

Maybe that stat is still hidden some where in the code...

Clan Takiyama Senior Member R'as al Ghul's Avatar

What we need is the possibility for a regicide or heir assassination via diplomacy, like the AI will sometimes ask you. It would be nice to go to your ally and demand the death of one of your family members for 2000 florins.
    Or they could just fix it, or tell us what they've thought......

Singleplayer: Download beta_8
    Multiplayer: Download beta_5.All.in.1
    I'll build a mountain of corpses - Ogami Itto, Lone Wolf & Cub
    Sometimes standing up for your friends means killing a whole lot of people - Sin City, by Frank Miller

Augustus Sempronius Member StoneCold's Avatar

Or another idea would be to allow the re-choosing of the heir, and that the disinherited guy has a chance of going rebel and taking some army and states with him. :D This would be more realistic... :P

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCold
    Or another idea would be to allow the re-choosing of the heir, and that the disinherited guy has a chance of going rebel and taking some army and states with him. :D This would be more realistic... :P
    Yeah, you could give the disinherited trait a serious negative hit to loyalty...

But it would still be a little odd when it is not the correct heir that is autoselected... My preference would still be to see that occur correctly. Second choice is the abilty to choose my own...
    Last edited by Bob the Insane; 12-15-2006 at 16:29.

I would be content if I knew what the system is, then I would'nt care about choosing the heir as I'd know how it works I'd be able to influence it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeSting
    sorry, what i meant to say was FIRST BORN living male and not oldest. I forgot what they called this system.... anyone care to tell me what it was called?
    Last edited by BeeSting; 12-15-2006 at 20:13.
    'Hannibal had been the victor at Cannae, and as if the Romans had good cause to boast that you have only strength enough for one blow, and that like a bee that has left its sting you are now inert and powerless.'

patriarchal i think.

Here's what it's called:

Primogeniture is the common tradition of inheritance by the first-born of the entirety of a parent's wealth, estate or office; or in the absence of children, by collateral relatives, in order of seniority of the collateral line.

As a mechanism of succession in hereditary monarchies, some sort of primogeniture has for long been the most used, but it is not the only tradition; nor is it likely the oldest method.

Primogeniture became the most common method of succession in hereditary monarchies as a slow development, correlating with the development of the average life-span in wealthier classes (particularly with the wealth of a monarch's family) increasing to a level where the eldest children of a parent were, on average, more or less adult at the time of the death of the parent. This correlated with the wealthier and healthier conditions and more and better food; and with less personal participation in violent activities, such as warring, marauding, robber expeditions and duels.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast