Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Weight Lifting Diary

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Default My Weight Lifting Diary

I decided not to clutter Swordsmasters thread. So here is my own.

Bascis

Height: 6'
    Weight: 223

Bench: 235
    Squat:405
    Power Clean: 225

Caloric Intake: 4000+ 250 g of protien a day supplemeted with Whey

Routine

monday
    -------
    -bench press - 5x5
    -incline dumbell or bar press - 3x8
    -military or dumbell press - 3x8
    -skull crush or CG bench press - 3x8
    -weighted crunches - 3x15

wednesday
    ----------
    -squat - 5x5
    -leg press - 3x8
    -leg curl - 3x8
    -calf raise - 3x8
    -hanging leg raises - 3x15

friday
    -----
    -deadlift - 5x5
    -bent row - 3x8
    -barbell or dumbell shrug - 3x8
    -barbell or reverse curl - 3x8
    -medicine ball twist on incline bench 3x20
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

(Insert innuendo here) Member Balloon Bomber Champion DemonArchangel's Avatar

Default Re: My Weight Lifting Diary

First of all, I would like to thank you for exercising.

Hmm... A few flaws I can see in this routine:

1.) You don't really want to work on isolates. Work on lifts like rows that work multiple joints at once. Thus, your reverse curls are useless unless you just want to get big. Otherwise, your lifts are fairly good.

2.) Crunches suck. You want full range of motion, so do full on sit ups (especially with a twist)

3.) Work on your back a bit more. Add back ups to your sit ups as well.

4.) Work on your lats a bit more as well, add dips and pull ups to your routine.

Otherwise, everything is good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    China is not a world power. China is the world, and it's surrounded by a ring of tiny and short-lived civilisations like the Americas, Europeans, Mongols, Moghuls, Indians, Franks, Romans, Japanese, Koreans.

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

but, but, where is the all important bicep curl while holding beer glass exercise?

Nothing I know develops your stomach as quickly as that one
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

My line coach is addicted to Chick Fil A, hence we dont see him in the weightroom anymore.
    Last edited by John86; 12-20-2006 at 02:45.
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Ok I had to change my routine up a bit due to the fact the only accses to weights I have are mine and they are lacking but lets start with sleep.

Sleep: 7 hours (meh)

Food

Breakfeast
    4 pecies of Cinamon Toast
    10 oz Skim milk
    10 oz OJ

Lunch
    2 Tacos
    4 cups beef
    2 cups rice
    Tomato
    Lettuce
    12oz Skim milk

Dinner:
    Tuna on Wheat
    Taters
    Water

Snacks
    Banana
    Whey
    A 12 pack

Water consumed: 51 Oz= 4 aquafina bottles

Overall Im ok with what I ate more water less beer is going to happen.

Routine:

Bench press 5x5@175 (moderate intensity)
    Tricep pulldowns 3x8@50 (Hard)
    Curls 3x8@30 (each hand moderate)
    Forearm curls 2x8@30 (I did these to help my wrists)
    Latereal shoulder raises 3x8@20 (My wrists hurt)
    Front raises 3x8@25 (wrists agian)
    DB Bench 3x8@40 (I couldve done more but I dont have heavier weights!!)

Shurgs were on my list to but I didnt have heavy enough weights. My wrists brother me after a while. Overall I was happy with my workout. I was ravonesly hungry so Im hoping thats a good sign!

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Why not simply use a bar and weights for shrugs rather than using dumbbells?
    "How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin. And how do you tell an anti-Communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." -Ronald Reagan

"It's somewhat ironic that closing spam threads increases my postcount"
    -Ser Clegane

Quote Originally Posted by Hiji
    Why not simply use a bar and weights for shrugs rather than using dumbbells?
    Becuase it wont work your traps. The weights nned to be by your sides.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Go for more reps, lighter weights if your wrists hurt... think of it as a pre-emptive strike before having to go to rehab. Or at the least do pyramids.
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Reverse curls are good for your wrists if you find yourself getting into a false grip while benching.

You DO work your traps with straight bar shrugs...Though a trap bar is better.

Arlington, Texas, United States of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    Go for more reps, lighter weights if your wrists hurt... think of it as a pre-emptive strike before having to go to rehab. Or at the least do pyramids.
    Gah, if your wrists hurt add more wieght. Push through the pain. After working in a ice cream shop over the summer its going to hurt for awhile but eventually you'll adjust and no more pain. The pain was incredible, but I've never had a stronger wrist.

As my old coach used to say. If it hurts, work twice as hard.
    Wine is a bit different, as I am sure even kids will like it.
    BigTex
    "Hilary Clinton is the devil"
    ~Texas proverb

If you're rists feel odd, then it's time to go for lighter weight else you will end up injuring yourself.

And at the age of 16, lifting heavy weights is not a good idea, you're body is not yet fully grown and it could seriusly stunt you're growth and cause back problems, I know at age fifteen I took up boxing(no longer though), I had to see a doc for a year about my back.
    So be careful dude.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bopa the Magyar
    If you're rists feel odd, then it's time to go for lighter weight else you will end up injuring yourself.

And at the age of 16, lifting heavy weights is not a good idea, you're body is not yet fully grown and it could seriusly stunt you're growth and cause back problems, I know at age fifteen I took up boxing(no longer though), I had to see a doc for a year about my back.
    So be careful dude.
    Well Ive been doing it for a year so....

Quote Originally Posted by Papewaio
    I agree. IMO, you shouldn't lift any weight you cannot repeat 16-20 times. If you lift weights that are too heavy, you just end up with a lot of microscopic scar tissue on your muscles which causes them to constantly ache and which decreases your overall ability.

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Your strange system of weights bewilders this poor European, wherefore he cannot comment.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

Quote Originally Posted by screwtype
    I agree. IMO, you shouldn't lift any weight you cannot repeat 16-20 times. If you lift weights that are too heavy, you just end up with a lot of microscopic scar tissue on your muscles which causes them to constantly ache and which decreases your overall ability.
    Um I have to disagree. You get strong by lifting heavy things....

Day#2

Sleep: 10hrs (w00t)
    Food

Lunch: PB&Banna sanich w/ apple

Dinner
    Tuna W/rice

snacks
    Pepperoni
    Coke
    Whey
    I didnt eat much I was busy probaly only got 2000 cals in

Bench press 5x5@185 (HARD)
    Tricep weight behind head 3x8@40 (moderate)
    Curls 3x8@30 (each hand moderate)
    Forearm curls 2x8@30 (I did these to help my wrists)
    Latereal shoulder raises 3x8@20 (My wrists hurt)
    Front raises 3x8@25 (wrists agian)

This is all I got done. I lifted with a friend and we didnt have much intensity. Im just gonna lift alone. I didnt eat much but I got allot of sleep and felt good. Day 3 will be posted later today

As always it's up to you, but it was just a word of caution not to hurt you'reself.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

German Enthusiast Member Alexanderofmacedon's Avatar

My wrist is strong, but not from anything I meant to do.

Blog Entries

Just Generally Speaking if you plan on going Arnie on us, after 30s years all that beefy muscle turns to sagging fat pretty easily, and you'll be cursing yourself because of all the surgeries you'll need to do on your knees, and your back.

The key is to throw away any of that nonsense that you want to be ripped. Sinewy is far better for you (meaning long, low impact workouts).

Had a few friends in Highschool that thought by lifting heavy weights on short reps, that they'd have an edge. I worked as a hand at my Uncle's Ranch my junior summer, not only was a stronger than they were when we started playing football again, but I'm still not feeling any ill effects. One of the guys that decided to do the all weights routine recently blew out his knee over in Afghanistan. Even his Sergeant kept telling him to ease it up, but now all anyone can say is "I told you so."

and this isn't a lecture. Just a Word of Warning.

Quote Originally Posted by Wakizashi
    Just Generally Speaking if you plan on going Arnie on us, after 30s years all that beefy muscle turns to sagging fat pretty easily, and you'll be cursing yourself because of all the surgeries you'll need to do on your knees, and your back.

The key is to throw away any of that nonsense that you want to be ripped. Sinewy is far better for you (meaning long, low impact workouts).

Had a few friends in Highschool that thought by lifting heavy weights on short reps, that they'd have an edge. I worked as a hand at my Uncle's Ranch my junior summer, not only was a stronger than they were when we started playing football again, but I'm still not feeling any ill effects. One of the guys that decided to do the all weights routine recently blew out his knee over in Afghanistan. Even his Sergeant kept telling him to ease it up, but now all anyone can say is "I told you so."

and this isn't a lecture. Just a Word of Warning.
    Ive never been lean and skinny and dont plan to start now. Not to mention as long as your smart the horror stories of muscle=fat later in life wont happen. Long low impact workouts dont do much for you. If you are looking to gain muscle anything over 6-8 reps isnt going to get great results. To many people begin lifitng and end up being curl jockeys or swearing it off all together becuase its to hard. Not to mention 90% of people dont do many of the excersises that truly build stregnth IE squats deadlift and presses. Many people also use machines. SWEAR OFF THE MACHINES IF POSSIBLE Use dumbells its a better workout and you build stabalizing muscles. Lifiting is only 1/3 of the equation if you are looking to build muscle you need to eat and sleep ALLOT Im not talking just about eating right (that helps ) Im talking about taking in 4000-5000 cals a day with about 250gs of protein and get about 8-12 hours of shut eye. Proper form keeps injuries away. Lifting isnt just slapping weights on a bench press and doing 3x10 its so much more than that and few people realize that

I do machines almost exclusively... im going for look rather than strength though.

Wats the difference between a sit up and a crunch?
    ...trying to remember to spell check...

Probably a really, really random tip from someone who to be fair is pretty weak. But when you're doing lateral raises, try projecting your energy sideways for lack of a better way of saying things as opposed to directly up...it seems to help.

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=475832
    Seems to help as well.

And remember, stretching and mobility is boring as heck but necessary even at my age...(15)

A crunch is where your back stays on the ground and a situp is where your back leaves it...
    Last edited by ah_dut; 12-25-2006 at 14:42.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    Ive never been lean and skinny and dont plan to start now. Not to mention as long as your smart the horror stories of muscle=fat later in life wont happen. Long low impact workouts dont do much for you. If you are looking to gain muscle anything over 6-8 reps isnt going to get great results. To many people begin lifitng and end up being curl jockeys or swearing it off all together becuase its to hard. Not to mention 90% of people dont do many of the excersises that truly build stregnth IE squats deadlift and presses. Many people also use machines. SWEAR OFF THE MACHINES IF POSSIBLE Use dumbells its a better workout and you build stabalizing muscles. Lifiting is only 1/3 of the equation if you are looking to build muscle you need to eat and sleep ALLOT Im not talking just about eating right (that helps ) Im talking about taking in 4000-5000 cals a day with about 250gs of protein and get about 8-12 hours of shut eye. Proper form keeps injuries away. Lifting isnt just slapping weights on a bench press and doing 3x10 its so much more than that and few people realize that

Could this be called a "hobby"?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexanderofmacedon
    Could this be called a "hobby"?
    I dont know what do you call your nazi fetish?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    I kid I kid

Untrue and a joke, but touche....

Professional Lurker Member Bava's Avatar
    Somewhere with a cold Augustiner in my hands

You should add more variety to your training, separate between mass/power training and muscle sections and do other sports to train your springiness (hope thats the right word), e.g. kick boxing (works pretty well for me.=

examples:
    monday triceps/biceps/shoulder, tuesday legs, friday breast/back/stomach
    Or
    monday breast/shoulder/triceps, tuesday back/biceps/stomach, friday legs

Example for mass/power bench press

mass training (6 weeks)

warm up: 30-40 minutes cycling and/or jogging (low intensity), streching

warm up:
    2@25 bar only (concentrate on the technique!)
    1@20 (30% of your max weight)

1@15 (45%)
    1@15 (55%)
    2@12 (60%)
    2@8 (~75%)
    1@10 (65%)
    1@12 (55%)

power training (6 weeks)

warm up: 15-25 minutes cycling/ jogging (low intensity), streching

warm up
    2@25 bar only (concentrate on the technique!)
    1@20 (30%)

1@15 (45%)
    1@10 (65%)
    2@6 (75%)
    1@3 (85%)
    1@1 (95-100%)
    1@4 (70%)
    1@6 (60%)

Try to keep the pauses between reps to under one minute and
    keep in mind that the %-ratio differs from person to person and you have to find your "own" ratio through trial´n´error.

Well, i have to say you seem to be pretty talented for weightlifting but ,as Bopa the Magyar and Papewaio said, you are too young to max out your
    weights yet (if you still want to do it, well, its your choice). If you want to do wl for the next 25+ years train on machines, go for more reps (12-20) and reduce the weight (and, yes, i know that kind of training is boring as hell, i did that myself ) . You can start heavy workouts when youre full grown, use the time between 16 and 18 to prepare your body for that and do other sports (e.g. swimming, kick boxing, climbing or running) in order to outspend yourself.

weightlifting can be a wonderful tool to keep your body healthy but it can be the most systematic way to harm him, too, especially at your age.

Keep in mind that sinews and joints need about 6 weeks to adapt to a new weight, muscles only ~4. If you neglect that rule you wont encounter any problems in the first 1 or 2 years but you will have them in the years afterwards. Your hurting wrist could be an indication for over intensive training.

P.S. Sorry for my bad english!
    "Well, whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions." - Grandpa Simpson

Hey thanks input is always welcome! My training does need to be more varied but as of now the only weights I have accses to are in my house. In about a week I ca work out at school agian. As for my wrists I started to use a different grip and the pressure went down considerably so that was more of a cosmetic thing. Ive been lifting fo rthe last two years and gained 7 inches and 80 lbs so m not going to stop now if for nothing else its become a normal thing like sleeping....I need to update this thing

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South
    Hey thanks input is always welcome!
    No prob. I´ve been lifting weights for 11 years (with focus on bench press, squats and power clean), recently started with snatch/clean and jerk so if you´ve some q´s just ask.
    Last edited by Bava; 12-28-2006 at 20:08.
    "Well, whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions." - Grandpa Simpson

Ah the 3 most important lifts. Do you know what your maxes are?

Who doesn´t?

bench press: 172, 5 kg ~396,5 lbs
    squat: 200 kg (i hate it) ~460 lbs
    power clean: 222, 5 kg ~511,5 lbs

hope the lbs indications are correct (kg/0.435=lbs ?)

i really should improve my squats but last year has been full of darn uni exams so i havent had the time to train properly, bench press and power clean are ok imo.

Those are damn fine numbers. You are right though the squat looks about out of place. Still very good but your other two lifts are outstanding! Good work!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast