Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Weight Lifting Diary

Tovenaar Senior Member The Wizard's Avatar

Default Re: My Weight Lifting Diary

after 30s years all that beefy muscle turns to sagging fat pretty easily
    It's physically impossible for muscle tissue to turn into fat, friend

I know, 'cause thanks to an extended vacation I lost my discipline. I haven't seen the inside of a gym in three weeks, but I haven't grown fatter. I've just lost strength.
    Last edited by The Wizard; 12-30-2006 at 16:58.
    "It ain't where you're from / it's where you're at."

Eric B. & Rakim, I Know You Got Soul

It's good to see that your incorporating powerlifting into your workouts. I was wondering does your high school use the BFS program? When I was in high school that's what we used and all the other schools were using it.

Anyways my biggest piece of advice for you is to continue to use those lifts after you get out of high school. A lot of people I know have "advanced" to bodybuilding workouts and dropped squats, dead lifts, and power cleans. I did the same the thing for a while and believe me if you haven't squatted for a year it's a real wake up call when you start doing it again.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

The last week and half will be posted tmrw. Some n00b gains have been made
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

What are your goals?

Power? Stamina? Hypertrophic Development? Cutting?

Is this focused on eventual participation in a sport?

So far you seem to be doing mostly a hypertrophic routine, with some emphasis on power lifts. For optimum development you'll need to cycle through all of the regimes noted above.

Be very careful about form and safety equipment. I don't believe you are too young for such lifting, but you need to be scrupulous about safety. Once a back or knee is malfed up, you will pay for it (at 40 if not immediately).
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 01-02-2007 at 15:55.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

@SF-Power and Stregnth

My last 3 lifts Ive done pretty much the same excersises I have gone up 5 lbs in the shoulder excersise. The DB Bench and Tricep extensions are now extremly easy on my heaviest dumbels (40lbs). My Bench press is now 185 5x5 Im going to up it to 195 tmrw. The good news is on Wendsday I am going to be lifting with football again and that means heavier weights and squats!

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

I do weight lifting occaisionally. I'm 6'3" and I weigh 90 kgs.
    I support Israel

Professional Lurker Member Bava's Avatar
    Somewhere with a cold Augustiner in my hands

Hehe, i wouldnt consider that as n00b gains...

But Seamus is right, you need a training cycle to avoid performance plateaus. 5@5 wont work forever...

Here are some suggestions for a more systematic training:

-Distinguish between heavy and light training; examples:

Heavy
    Bench press
    Standing press (similiar to clean and jerk)
    Bench press 45°
    Bench press -20°

Light
    All workouts with dumbels, machines and bars (under 50 kg)

So a normal training day for mass (or hypertensive development) would include one heavy and 3-4 light workouts, for power 2 heavy and 1-2 light workouts with the corresponding numbers of reps.

-6 weeks training cycles for mass and power (as i wrote some posts above), perhaps add 2 weeks for stamina. If you have a good(!) trainer at your school ask him to show you the techniques for snatch/clean and jerk and work on that, too.

BB,
    a proud supporter of the metric system
    "Well, whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions." - Grandpa Simpson

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

For Strength/Power

2-3 sets of 8 reps or fewer for each exercise topping out at 90% or so of your 1RM. Include some of the more classic lifts and presses.

Should be on this cycle for no more than 13 weeks, then cycle onto a different regimen (usually cutting -- lower weight at 60-70% of 1RM, 3-5 sets of 15-20 reps per exercise) for 6 weeks or so.

High protein diet good, but be sure to have the vitamins and greens and, as you noted, your sleep. Lots of stretching exercises will keep the muscle built from looking to "knotty."
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Surely strength/power would be 3x3 or DE work if you're with the Westside style of training. Anything works, just not forever.

Join the ICLADOLLABOJADALLA! Member IrishArmenian's Avatar

Advice on lifting: just so you don't tweak anything, or have a hard time setting something down after your reps, just lift slightly smaller and complete more reps. It is safer, easier on the body, and just the same workout, or more, if you set it like that. I always over shoot it. Make sure to start with Cardio-vascular excercise and end on Cardio. (Running for the layman). Also, alternate, go one day upper body, next day lower body so the muscle tissue has time to repair. If not, you will not get results, and you could screw yourself up pretty bad.

"Half of your brain is that of a ten year old and the other half is that of a ten year old that chainsmokes and drinks his liver dead!" --Hagop Beegan

Quote Originally Posted by Bavarian Barbarian

hope the lbs indications are correct (kg/0.435=lbs ?)
    1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds.

I'm starting this back up agian. Without football or a girl in my life anymorre I'm going to do what any 17 year old boy would do. Brag about his muscles which have gotten smaller lol Im excited and you should be to!

POWER BABY!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12