Thread: Crusade/Jihad cooldown

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Question Crusade/Jihad cooldown

Friends, I thought I'd pose this question as I can't seem to figure this out. Does anyone know how much time must elapse between Crusades or Jihads before one can call them again? I looked in the manual and couldn't find anything, and I found the following section in the descr_campaign_db.xml file...

<crusades>
    <required_jihad_piety int="4"/>
    <max_disband_progress float="20.0"/>
    <near_target_no_disband_distance float="4.0"/>
    <disband_progress_window float="3"/>
    <crusade_called_start_turn float="20"/>
    <jihad_called_start_turn float="20"/>
    <movement_points_modifier float="2.0"/>
    </crusades>

Not sure if that "crusade_called_start_turn" var is what governs this or if it's in the game code, but 20 turns seems like an awfully long time for a cooldown.

Any thoughts?

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Default Re: Crusade/Jihad cooldown

Not sure what that start turn float means (possibly when is the earliest that the AI will call a crusade/jihad) but I do know that you must wait 10 turns from the END of the last crusade/jihad before you call another. End can mean a successful or unsuccessful crusade/jihad, and in both cases that can be a very very long time. You will however get a end turn message stating that the crusade/jihad is officially over and if it was successful/unsuccessful. 10 turns from that point before another can be called.
    Magnum

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

Thanks, I just got to my 10th turn post-crusade and saw that I could call another. I dug through the files and can't seem to find any variable to this effect, so it would seem that this is hard-coded. Someone can correct me though, I would have hoped this would be moddable.

Also I'll append another question, is there any logic to whom you can call a crusade against? Most of the available targets on my list are excommunicated factions, and a single Turkish city (they have at least 15 provinces). There doesn't seem to be any common factor that I can discern.

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Quote Originally Posted by Whacker
    Also I'll append another question, is there any logic to whom you can call a crusade against? Most of the available targets on my list are excommunicated factions, and a single Turkish city (they have at least 15 provinces). There doesn't seem to be any common factor that I can discern.
    I don't have the full information, but I believe the targets will be factions at war with the Papacy, excomm'ed factions and provinces of non-Catholic factions which have a Catholic population above a certain level.

What annoys me is that the list seems to have a limit on it, meaning that i can't call crusades on who i want (i'm playing a game in which i've migrated venice to the holy land, and all that was showing up was excommed christian and moorish cities :( )
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer