Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tutorial - Adding a unit to the game

Default Re: Tutorial - Adding a unit to the game

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Robin the Brave
    perhaps someone here can help me:

HTML Code:
    8 clansmen 1 4 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod0.mesh 121 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod1.mesh 900 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod2.mesh 2500 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod3.mesh 6400 2 8 scotland 70 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/sicily_Sword_and_Buckler_Men_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_diff.texture 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_norm.texture 0  1 4 None 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0  2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    This doesn't seem to work, if you could find out what and explain to me what is wrong, I would be most grateful
    notice how the numbers infront of scotland differ? 2 8 scotland 70 and 1 8 scotland 59 that might be the problem, i'am not sure so you might have to fool around with that a bit, hope that helps

Hiding in a bush near you Member Sir Robin the Brave's Avatar

ah, I didn't see that...

THANK YOU!
    Brave Sir Robin ran away.
    Bravely ran away, away!
    When danger reared its ugly head,
    He bravely turned his tail and fled.
    Yes, brave Sir Robin turned about
    And gallantly he chickened out.
    Bravely taking to his feet
    He beat a very brave retreat,
    Bravest of the brave, Sir Robin!

Quote Originally Posted by billiam_maillib
    thanks mango, it didnt crash anymore but the texture still dosnt show for the scotish.
    Ah dang it, I messed up my own advise >.<

try THIS:

HTML Code:
     11 scots_guard 1 3 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod1.mesh 1225 61 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/scots_guard_lod2.mesh 6400 2 6 france 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 8 scotland 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_france.texture 92 unit_models/_Units/LN_3QPlate_HalfPlate/textures/mtw2_LN_halfplate_scotsguard_normal.texture 42 unit_sprites/france_Scots_Guard_sprite.spr 2 6 france 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0  8 scotland 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_diff.texture 68 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Archer_france_norm.texture 0  1 4 None 11 MTW2_Bowman 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 19 MTW2_Bowman_Primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    I had put 1 6 france in front of the textures, which tells the game that only 1 faction will be using this texture. I needed to have 2 6 france.

Hopefully it should work now

See the bad thing is you can mess up without even realizing it. Usually the game will crash, I can go in, and quickly fix it, but since I'm not using this I don't have any idea.
    "You're drunk again!"
    "Na Im just exhausted from staying up all night drinking!" - Family guy

mango! could you help me, if its not too much trouble, I have a texture problem, some sword and buckler men I edited into highland clansmen:

here is the code:
    HTML Code:
    8 clansmen 1 4 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod0.mesh 121 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod1.mesh 900 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod2.mesh 2500 65 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/sword_and_buckler_men_lod3.mesh 6400 1 8 scotland 70 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture 72 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_normal.texture 52 unit_sprites/sicily_Sword_and_Buckler_Men_sprite.spr 1 8 scotland 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_diff.texture 59 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final Iberian_spain_norm.texture 0  1 4 None 14 MTW2_Swordsman 0  2 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 14 fs_test_shield 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    The game starts and runs, the textures are all in the right place...I don't know whats wrong
    Bravely ran away, away!

are you sure that you created the texture file RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture?

It looks right to me, I inserted it into my own game, and all I did was change the
    HTML Code:
    70 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scot.texture
    to
    HTML Code:
    74 unit_models/_Units/RN_Light_Lmail/textures/RN_Light_Lmail_scotland.texture
    (which I created for my own mod).

Here's the result.

"You're drunk again!"

it worked thanks mango, i cant believe i missed that myself >.<

here is my toil:
    https://img353.imageshack.us/img353/9885/0013hh0.jpg
    https://img236.imageshack.us/img236/9797/0012db5.jpg
    thanks for the walkthrought musashi and thanks again mango!

I have been doing this nonstop since I figured it out. Here are a couple shots of my Byzantine Eagle Auxillia and Scottish Armored Nobles.

What do you think?
    "You're drunk again!"

Confiscator of Swords Member dopp's Avatar

Still no word on how to swap weapons? That's the most crucial step for me.

It probably can't be done until we have the ability to modify the models them selves.

Mango: I presume those Eagle Auxilia can only be recruited if the Byzzies own a former aztec province :)
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy&#39;s begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

^ Yeah

I toyed with the idea of allowing them to be built in Constantinople though

But seriously, in a mod I'm doing, I'm making it where everyone has America specific units, instead of just Spain and Portugal.
    "You're drunk again!"

cool mango! I'll try changing the texture name and see if it works
    Bravely ran away, away!

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55
    ^ Yeah

I toyed with the idea of allowing them to be built in Constantinople though

But seriously, in a mod I'm doing, I'm making it where everyone has America specific units, instead of just Spain and Portugal.
    I would have made them buildable everywhere once you own the right area. I mean, you can train Vardariatoi anywhere, Latinkon anywhere, etc. even though they're all hired from other places...
    Fear nothing except in the certainty that you are your enemy&#39;s begetter and its only hope of healing. For everything that does evil is in pain.
    -The Maestro Sartori, Imajica by Clive Barker

I can't figure it out, the texture just seems to be super-reflective. It's very strange
    Bravely ran away, away!

got it, I hadn't changed the unit armour names in export_decr_units! so they were still sword and bucklar! heres the clan so far (WIP):
    Bravely ran away, away!

Hi, another one here having problems. If anyone can help that would be great. I am trying to add Mercenary Woodsmen to the game. The new unit is selectable in the faction list but I just can't get the texture applied to the unit, I've tried directing it to different textures and nothing. I can only assume it has something to do with the naming convention as I have also placed unit icons and unit_info pics in the right folders and they won't show up either.
    This is what I have written out for the unit.
    18 mercenary_woodsmen 1 3 56 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/woodsmen_lod0.mesh 121 56 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/woodsmen_lod1.mesh 1225 56 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/woodsmen_lod2.mesh 6400 1 4 merc 75 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/textures/mtw2_EE_Peasant_merc.texture 77 unit_models/_Units/EE_Peasant_Leather/textures/mtw2_EE_Peasant_normal.texture 38 unit_sprites/slave_Woodsmen_sprite.spr 1 4 merc 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_diff.texture 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_merc_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 11 MTW2_2H_Axe 0 1 19 MTW2_2H_Axe_primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

It's okay I think I fixed it, tried making a 3rd new unit and had success. I think the problem was that I forgot to add mercenary_unit in the EDU. So many of theses things can just be glossed over when you're not looking properly. Thanks anyway for the tutorial Musashi, it's a great help.

What do the Bold numbers stand for?
    20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models
    thanks

i'am using this and i get a black screen
    Code:
     20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0 4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0  1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

As far as I understand it the 4 means there are 4 level of detail meshes to load for the unit and the larger numbers are the distance that each lod should be used

Quote Originally Posted by billiam_maillib
    What do the Bold numbers stand for?
    thanks

i'am using this and i get a black screen
    Code:
     20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0 4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0  1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    Usually when I get a black screen it means I have mis numbered something.

It looks like you have forgotten the number before the attachment set normal texture. Also, you need 2 spaces between the 0 and 4.

Try this:

HTML Code:
     20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0  4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0  1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    I think that should work
    "You're drunk again!"

no that didnt work >.< do i have to have a space inbetween the 1 and the 5 1 5 milan 77 ?

Oh yeah, and where it says " 0 4 none" it needs to be " 0 1 4 none" (with 2 spaces between 0 and 1)

HTML Code:
     20 ne_huge_bombard_crew 1 4 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod0.mesh 121 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod1.mesh 900 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod2.mesh 2500 61 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/ne_cannon_crew_lod3.mesh 6400 1 5 milan 77 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_milan.texture 78 unit_models/_Units/EN_Peasant_Padded/textures/EN_Peasant_Padded_normal.texture 43 unit_sprites/milan_Dummy_NE_Crew_sprite.spr 5 milan 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_norm.texture 66 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_milan_diff.texture 0  1 4 none 22 MTW2_Crew_Huge_Bombard 0  1 18 MTW2_Knife_Primary 0 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002
    If that's not it then I have no idea.
    "You're drunk again!"

Hi Mango55, what unit did you use for your Swabian Swordsmen? I have been trying to make a unit with a similar look and can't find a unit that looks like that at all. Are you using a mesh that isn't used in the game?

Quote Originally Posted by ezekiel6
    Hi Mango55, what unit did you use for your Swabian Swordsmen? I have been trying to make a unit with a similar look and can't find a unit that looks like that at all. Are you using a mesh that isn't used in the game?
    It's the upgraded Highland Nobles. They are in the en_lmail_hmail folder.
    "You're drunk again!"

cool, thanks for that.

Thanks, Mushashi! It's not that tough for me anymore! This tutorial enlightened me!

Nope that didnt work >.<, i think i'll try doing something else start froms scratch.

This is what i have done, i really dont know what i'am doing wrong i have followed every bit of advice to the letter, yet i still get the error.
    http://www.box.net/public/c6j3o13b7n

Okay, I'm having a problem:

14 GR_Pikemen_ug2 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod0.mesh 121 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod1.mesh 900 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod2.mesh 2500 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/byzantium_Pikemen_ug2_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 9 MTW2_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

14 GR_Pikemen_ug2 1 4 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod0.mesh 121 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod1.mesh 900 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod2.mesh 2500 57 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/pikemen_ug2_lod3.mesh 6400 1 9 byzantium 79 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_byzantium.texture 76 unit_models/_Units/RN_Half_3Q_Plate/textures/rn_half_3q_plate_normal.texture 41 unit_sprites/byzantium_Pikemen_ug2_sprite.spr 1 9 byzantium 65 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_diff.texture 67 unit_models/AttachmentSets/Final European Light_france_norm.texture 0 1 4 None 9 MTW2_Pike 15 MTW2_Non_Shield 1 17 MTW2_Pike_primary 1 18 MTW2_Sword_Primary 16 -0.090000004 0 0 -0.34999999 0.80000001 0.60000002

try that, that might work

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast