Thread: Mod folder installer

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Default Mod folder installer

The M2TW mod folder installer is a software that allows you to easily set up a mod folder with a custom name and ready-to-go in a few clicks. It's perfect for newbies that would just like to get their hands dirty as soon as possible, but it also saves a lot of time if you want to test something specific (in which case you simply install the barebones version).
    For instructions on how to install it and run your game afterwards, please refer to the readme file.

Update May, 12th 2007

I forgot to remove descr_geography_new in 1.2 which caused a crash when starting battles, a thing 1.2.1 fixes. I also changed the script very slightly to include the last launcher setting (most launcher settings are still not used).

Version 1.2.1: Download

Click "Show" for older stuff:
    Update May, 11th 2007

I updated this to comply with M2TW version 1.2
    Here's the changelog:

- Added launcher regkey capabilities
    - Removed copying videos, links are changed now instead
    - The map can be regenerated now
    - In 1.2 loading screens work, so I removed them

v1.2: Download

Well, I wrote this installer to make setting up a new mod folder as easy as possible.
    It allows you to extract the game's data and (English) text files (included), copies the other required files from your installation, and allows to copy the sounds, videos and loading screens (using CA's unpacker) to a new directory called mymod.
    It also generates a mymod.cfg file out of your current medieval2.preference.cfg and creates a mymod.bat to run the mod folder.

This should also set you up nicely if you're just starting modding.

Simply run the installer, and select your MTW2 directory as the installation directory.
    Then select the components you want to install (you have to install the core files in order for the mod folder to work).

After the installation, I recommend to rename the mod folder, mymod.cfg and mymod.bat to a custom name (don't forget to change the "mod" entry in the renamed config file).

For modding, I also usually recommend adding the following lines under [video] in the config:
    Code:
    windowed = 1
    movies = 0
    This will run the game in a window and disable the splash movies on startup and campaign start.

Download
    Last edited by alpaca; 05-12-2007 at 22:23.

Default Re: Mod folder installer

That's freakin' awesome!

Will have to try this once I have some files to install, actually
    -"My horse for a kingdom!"

This is not really to install files but to set up a working environment for editing files.

Very nice! Thank you very much, alpaca!
    ------------------------------------------------------

Rise of Xerxes : A Modification for Medieval 2: Total War
    Have a special skill? Come help us out!

I Still Play Shogun Member ratbarf's Avatar

Hmm... what is the io_file:first .bat thing anyway???? And what is a .rar file? Can it be decompressed using Winzip?

Also what is a Mod Folder?
    "The man who has no sense of history, is like a man who has no ears or eyes" - Adolf Hitler

"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
    Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe.

Modfolder create many folders what you need fo making own mod.
    I think rar can be decompressed with WinZip but if cant, download WinRar

And Alpaca. Many thanks for this mod folder :-)
    Last edited by AliAS; 02-03-2007 at 23:00.
    Medieval II : Total War userbars HERE
    www.totalwar.hotgames.cz < Admin of biggest Czech and Slovak fansite.

Is it possible to have this for Kingdoms too?
    10X in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by bggeneral
    Is it possible to have this for Kingdoms too?
    10X in advance!
    No because I don't intend to buy kingdoms in the near future.

Hmm... says I do not have permission to view the page...

Home country:

Country I live in:

Countries I have visited:

Quote Originally Posted by Chapien View Post
    Hmm... says I do not have permission to view the page...
    It means your fiewall probably has it blocked. Edit your firewall settings and try it, again.

Quote Originally Posted by irishron2004 View Post
    It means your fiewall probably has it blocked. Edit your firewall settings and try it, again.
    I doubt that is the problem, as this is the message that pops up...

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /files/files/M2TW/tools/M2TW_mod_folder_1.2.1.rar on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Home country:

Country I live in:

Quote Originally Posted by Chapien View Post
    I doubt that is the problem, as this is the message that pops up...

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access /files/files/M2TW/tools/M2TW_mod_folder_1.2.1.rar on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
    You're right, I got it, too.
    Then try this one: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/downl...do=file&id=992, and good luck.

Thanks! It worked!

Home country:

Country I live in:

I downloaded your installer and tried to create a mod, but for some reason it won't let MTW2 open at all via the mod launcher or the batch file, even when I have made no changes whatsoever into the mod other than the name. When I use the provided shortcut it just pops up a tiny window with an ! and the letters "CA_LIBS" at the top. Running the batch file results int the same message except that it tells me that MTW2 has "suffered a fatal error and will now exit." I'm not sure what the problem is and it is certainly beyond my level of experience, so I was hoping that you can help.

hey alpaca, i like your mod, but for some reason my mods only work in the test run. when i copy the
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    export_descr_unit
    file into the regular data folder, my game acts as if there have been no modifications. kinda frustrating. got any ideas?

can anyone please send me the working download links of mymod 1.2.1? really appreciated!!!

Hello,

I it is my first mod... So I've ran in to some problems with starting the mod.
    I've installed it, no problems with it and I've added new regions(Other mod tutorial) to the original campaign map (in mod off course) and now the mod won't start.
    It says: Medieval II suffered a fatal error and will now exit.

I have the error log, what it says at the moment the game crashes:
    15:27:22.679 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:22.681 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_logo.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:23.620 [system.io] [warning] open: data/loading_screen/loading_bar.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:23.710 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_symbols_80/normans.tga is missing
    15:27:23.710 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_faction_units/normans.tga is missing
    15:27:23.711 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_symbols_80/saxons.tga is missing
    15:27:23.711 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_faction_units/saxons.tga is missing
    15:27:23.713 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_symbols_80/slave.tga is missing
    15:27:23.713 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/symbols/FE_faction_units/slave.tga is missing
    15:27:23.718 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_MP_HISTORICAL_BATTLE_CHOOSE_TEAMS.TGA is missing
    15:27:23.722 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/TEXTURES/_M2_MAIN_MENU.TGA is missing
    15:27:24.284 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/buttons_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.285 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.286 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/slider_composite2.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.287 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold2.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.287 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/text_border.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.288 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/yellow_highlight.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.288 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_selected.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.289 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/border_4pix_black_gold_black.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.290 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/_M2_Selection_Glow.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.290 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/unit_card.tga.dds is missing
    15:27:24.291 [system.io] [warning] open: data/menu/icons.tga.dds is missing

I would be glad if someo