Thread: Where do the Mongols and Timurids Come?

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Where do the Mongols and Timurids Come?

I am pretty sure I saw this somewhere, but can anyone tell me where the Mongols and Timurids appear and when because I want to know when to start preparing for them in my Sicilian migration campaign.
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Default Re: Where do the Mongols and Timurids Come?

They¸ appear to the eastern edge of the map, about in modern day Iran or Iraq. they wont be of any threat to you if you are west of constantinople.

The mongols will appear either near Bagdhad or above the caspian sea in modern day russia.

The timurids have similar points of appearance - in essence, if you're on the eastern edge of the map you're going to have to face them.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

When they arrive you are informed of their location.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

I dunno when the mongals turn up but the timurids turn up in 1370 with the faction leader and prince first (for me it was around baghdad). Then two 8 star generals and two 10 star generals with ten dread turn up in the same sort of place in the second wave. And the third waves in the same place but its only two 8 star gens and two 6 star gens well in my campaign it was anyway.

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The units seem to be unchanging, but the time they arrive does vary. It is usually a period of ten years. Unless you have a mod installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

The Mongols arrived in my Turkish campaign around turn 70ish, which I guess is pretty late. I was prepared for their arrival a bit too early had had full stacks sitting around doing nothing for more than 10 turns, putting a huge damper on my economy. You do get a warning message about 2 turns before the invasion, IIRC, but it's not enough time to raise the army you need to fight 'em.

They came in with 2 stacks northwest of the Tigris river and 3 stacks south of the Euphrates all near Baghdad, followed up by 3 more stacks again south of the Euphrates. The stacks above the Tigris were relatively easy to contain and destroy, but below the Euphrates gave me a bit of a headache, since the stacks didn't bother to fight me at river crossings, and instead tried to make it west where I had lots of important but not particularily well-garrisonned cities. Using lots of assassins and night fighter generals was the only way I was able to pick off those 3 stacks one at a time. I think fighting more than one stack at a time is a recipe for crushing defeat.

The Timurids are much much later so I wouldn't even worry about them until you've destroyed the mongols. But, damn, those Mongol armies are tough, they will outgun just about any army because nearly every unit has long range missles. If you are fighting them in an open field it will be a struggle, I found the most effective anit-mongol weapon was Trebuchets, as I could hit them pretty hard before they got in missle range, and the trebs are good at taking out their general early in a battle.