Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

The right-hand side, room 490, Fargo Hall, North Campus, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, New York, United States of America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe.

Default Re: Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

Hey, just a quick question...

I used this to add a new faction, but I can't start the campaign. The faction selection screen looks almost the same as it does in the screenshot, only my COA isn't missing, but the picture for my UU is. When I select my faction and hit the begin game button, it loads for a couple seconds, then goes back to the menu before the faction selection one! (the single player menu IIRC). My actual question: has anyone else had this happen, and if so, is it fixable, and if so, how does one fix it?

Thanks for a good tutorial none the less.

EDIT: wow, I just noticed how long this thread has been dead; I just added it to favorites when I found it and haven't had the time to actually use it 'till just recently.
    Last edited by GeneralMikeIII; 08-15-2007 at 05:17.
    No power in the verse can stop me.

Default Re : Adding New Faction from Nothing – Step by Step

Well I have the same probleme, but I didn't manadged to solv it

I restarded sevrel times but it didn't works. The first time the game didn't load but than, the second and next times the game loaded. It work until I wanted to start the campagne .

faction califat_de_bagdad
    dictionary 2
    strat_model islamic_general
    battle_model Eastern_General
    battle_equip gladius, chainmail shirt helmet and rectangular shield
    Wath those this number meen?
    I saw that it change for different factions.

Can I use a faction name that has two "_"?

Does the game work if I don't disable the movie? If not witch .cfg file must I add the two "sentence"?

Thanks a lot

hi there!!! First of all, thanks for the great tutorials. Thanks again. I must said is a superb tutorials. I've been adding numerous regions in the campaign map and decided to add few more fraction to spices up my games and ur tutorials really help me a lot.
    I try it yesterday and successfully added new fraction. It run perfectly, as expected few things missing e.g COA, Banners stuff. Will try to figure out this later tonight. I did a test with my new Fraction and found out that i cannot recruite anythings. I guess i didnt follow the step 8 but i thought step 8 is adding mercs unit only? The reason i didnt add this becoz i couldnt find the line in export_desc_buildings. And one more thingz, issit true that all the buildings already set accordingly to thier culture?? is true then i guess i should be able to recruite army. What should i do????

"Step 8

Open export_descr_buildings.txt with Notepad. Here we’ll define what building can have and build our new faction plus what units can be recruited.

We don’t have to add any new building as they are mostly associated with culture (there are exceptions, of course). What we’ll add are units. Because every faction can have mercenary units I will add unit of Bulgarian Brigands Mercs to mustering_hall just for our tutorial.
    Code:
    recruit_pool "Bulgarian Brigands Mercs" 1 0.5 4 0 requires factions { bulgaria, } ""

Oh yeah, i notice that my character name doesnt show up. i have checked the descr_names.txt files and names.string.bin files and all entry are correct. what mistake did i make? anyone plz?
    Last edited by Stupid_Boy; 11-07-2007 at 02:37.

Finder of Little Oddities Senior Member Makanyane's Avatar

I think I might have found a glitch relating to adding new faction when you try and add existing units to it using a mod folder, at least running Kingdoms exe.

Have new faction which works fine on campaign map in mod-folder which contains Kingdoms contents and modded files.

battle_models.modeldb contains references to existing units some of which have textures and normal.textures in mod-folder and some in m2tw/data folder. This also works fine for existing factions.

If new faction attempts to use existing unit (and existing M2 textures) with exact same db entry as existing faction it crashes in battle - actually doesn't always crash if only one of affected unit is used but falls over if four or five of same unit or mix are selected.

Copying the existing normal.texture that the new faction is trying to use from M2TW/data/... to mod-folder seems to fix problem.

Has anyone else noticed anything similar? Or know of anything that could be missing from set-up of new faction that is stopping it referring to the main games data folder properly?
    Not used mods before? Looking for something small and fun?!
    Download the:

Brilliant tutorial mate,

anyone able to link me to a way of editing and the skins and textures of NEWLY created factions strat map banners and faction icon on the campaign screen?

I know how to edit existing ones, thats fine, but im not sure if the same thing applies to this "cloning" method for factions made from scratch.

If its the same as editing a regular one, just tell me, but i doubt it is, because your given nothing to reskin

Cheers guys,

Actually dont worry, im now modding it and reading your tut word for word this time, and turns out i missed valid answers to my question =]

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

I've added 7 new factions with success. However, I'm having problems with the eight. I'm wondering if this is because this has moved into the Norman/Saxon spaces. I just used the same technique as with the other factions, as is shown in this tutorial.

Also I don't understand what the Ally0, Ally 1, Enemy 0 etc means when adding all nine factions from scratch.

EDIT: This is what appears in the error log:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    22:44:20.301 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    22:44:20.301 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    22:44:20.301 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    22:44:20.301 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    22:44:20.301 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    22:44:20.317 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    22:44:20.317 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    22:44:20.317 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    22:44:23.450 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 713, column 18
    Invalid ownership type 'slave' found in unit 'pirate ship'.
    22:44:23.450 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file data/export_descr_unit.txt.

It is bizarre because I have checked EDU over and over, and there is nothing wrong with the pirate ships. I never edited anything to do with them in the first place!

EDIT 2: I removed 'slave' from the Pirate ship ownership line, but still I get the same crash. This is what the error log now records:

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    23:12:55.099 [system.rpt] [always] CPU: SSE2
    23:12:55.099 [system.rpt] [always] ==== system log start, build date: Jun 25 2007 version bld-medieval2-update2.1-30 (43169) ===
    23:12:55.099 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_0.pack
    23:12:55.114 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_1.pack
    23:12:55.114 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_2.pack
    23:12:55.114 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_3.pack
    23:12:55.114 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/data_4.pack
    23:12:55.114 [system.io] [always] mounted pack packs/localized.pack
    23:12:58.338 [script.err] [error] Script Error in data/export_descr_unit.txt, at line 713, column 19
    Invalid ownership type '
    ;unit_info 10, 0, 10

type merc galley

dictionary merc_galley ; Mercenary Galley

category ship

class light

voice_type Light

accent Mediterranean

soldier Peasants, 20, 0, 1

ship light warship

attributes sea_faring, can_withdraw, mercenary_unit

formation 50, 50, 75, 75, 1, square

stat_health 1, 0

stat_pri 8, 0, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, slashing, none, 25, 1

;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0

stat_pri_attr no

stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1

;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0

stat_sec_attr no

stat_pri_armour 0, 7, 0, flesh

;stat_armour_ex 0, 0, 0, 0, 7, 0, 0, flesh

stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh

stat_heat 0

stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0

stat_mental 8, normal, trained

stat_charge_dist 30

stat_fire_delay 0

stat_food 60, 300

stat_cost 1, 520, 180, 100, 100, 520, 4, 130

armour_ug_levels 0

armour_ug_models Peasants

ownership slave

;unit_info 8, 0, 7

type merc cog

dictionary merc_cog ; Mercenary Cog

category ship

class light

voice_type Light

accent English

soldier Peasants, 20, 0, 1

ship light warship

attributes sea_faring, can_withdraw, mercenary_unit

formation 50, 50, 75, 75, 1, square

stat_health 1, 0

stat_pri 5, 0, no, 0, 0, melee, melee_simple, slashing, none, 25, 1

;stat_pri_ex 0, 0, 0

stat_pri_attr no

stat_sec 0, 0, no, 0, 0, no, melee_simple, blunt, none, 25, 1

;stat_sec_ex 0, 0, 0

stat_sec_attr no

stat_pri_armour 0, 8, 0, flesh

;stat_armour_ex 0, 0, 0, 0, 8, 0, 0, flesh

stat_sec_armour 0, 0, flesh

stat_heat 0

stat_ground 0, 0, 0, 0

stat_mental 8, normal, trained

stat_charge_dist 30

stat_fire_delay 0

stat_food 60, 300

stat_což hÓ«
    23:12:58.338 [data.invalid] [error] DATABASE_TABLE error found : error reading record from file data/export_descr_unit.txt.
    Last edited by Rhyfelwyr; 07-06-2008 at 23:16.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

this may be common knowledge.
    it looks like there is a limit of 31 entries in descr_sm_factions.
    it goes like this; i decided to add all the standards from both vanilla and kingdoms ( minus americas). i also made a complete version of strategy.sd and shared.sd and corresponding modpage with icons for all factions (again minus americas). thought this would make moding easier later.
    the later went very well.
    but with the banners i ran in to problems after standard entry 30, entry 31 turns to the rebel crossed swords standard.
    i edited descr_standards like this:
    factions
    symbols banners/symbols1.tga
    symbols banners/symbols2.tga
    symbols banners/symbols3.tga
    symbols banners/symbols4.tga
    symbols banners/symbols5.tga
    symbols banners/symbols6.tga
    symbols banners/symbols9.tga
    symbols banners/symbols10.tga
    symbols banners/symbols11.tga
    rebels_factions
    symbols banners/symbols7.tga
    symbols banners/symbols8.tga

for symbols9.tga i used the file from teutonic and for symbols10.tga i used the one from britania and for symbols11.tga i used the one from crusades.
    the game accepted the addition of symbols10.tga, or rather the first 3/4 of it. the last 1/4, wich would be entry number 32 (index starts from 0) turns to the crossed swords.
    the game does not crash though, it just ignores entries above 31.
    what puzzles me is that the 31 entries does not include symbols7.tga and symbols8.tga (those with the crossed swords). adding those there would be a limit of 39 entries total (with entries above 39 i get some other graphics in the banner, looks like some random piece from a stratpage, but the game still does not crash).
    is there some other file that could be altered to make room for more entries i descr_sm_factions, without changing any of the existing symbol.tga`s?
    what i am trying to do is to make a template of some sort, where one simply can add more without altering what already exists...

Death and Glory TW modder Member Flying Pig's Avatar

Is it possible in the vanilla folder? I am using the retrofit mod's folder
    Death And Glory TW Needs You - Sign Up Now! All it takes is one PM!

Ὦ ξεῖν', ἀγγέλλειν Λακεδαιμονίοις ὅτι τῇδε
    κείμεθα, τοῖς κείνων ῥήμασι πειθόμενοι.

Ō zein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti tēide
    keimetha tois keinōn rhēmasi peithomenoi.

Go, thou that passeth, to the Spartans tell
    That as per their orders, here we fell.

I do exactly like this guide but the bulgaria faction is destroyed immediately when i start the campaign. I use Bare Geomod Kingdoms

I can't convert files with alpaca’s strings.bin converter!!! Can anyone just give me the already converted files??? PLEASE HELP!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12