Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108 LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,150 of 3213

Thread: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Default Re: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Endless Space is ok, not too great. I got a solid 15 hours in the game before I got bored. Its a nice game but lacks the character that Endless Legend does. Also battles are tedious, much more so than Endless Legend since battles are capped at 12 ships per side and you can have stacked units of a hundred units at a time, now imagine fighting each battle over and over, 12 units at a time.

How is AOW3? Looks interesting.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Infinite Jest Member easytarget's Avatar

Well, I'm betting I'll get my money's worth from the bundle, and no doubt have the same experience you did, liking one or two among the three way more than the others, I'm prepared for that.

As for AOW3, it's right up my alley man, it's a very well done HOMM crossed with Civ 5 (only I considered Civ 5 so insanely boring I played maybe two full campaigns and removed it from my HD so don't think of this as a mixture that took the bad parts of Civ 5, like the combat, and mixed it in, just think of it more as the way the layout of the map is presented only in a fantasy setting, hence the HOMM connection). The combat zooms into turn based, and any given stack only has 6 units, but you can often have 3 or 4 stacks going up against 3 or 4 stacks like in a siege for example.

The random map generator allows you to tweak the campaign settings so well that you can getting it fine tuned to what you like to play or mix it up for something new. I've played 88 hours in a couple weeks, that was playing through about 4 complete campaigns, mostly on medium and large maps.

Your mileage may vary of course, but I'm enjoying the hell of it such that for first half of the year this is definitely my GOTY.

AOW3 looks pretty interesting, maybe I will pick it up during the summer sale.

Anyways, a more in-depth look at Endless Legend:

The AI is kinda hit and miss. Sometimes it will do something great, other times something really really dumb. Again, the graphics are gorgeous and the map is a pleasure to look at and just take in how rich everything looks. There could be more factions, thats always a good thing, but I guess we will get more factions eventually, its still a relatively new game. The game desperately needs a better tutorial/documentation. Its pretty abysmal right now, and most of the things Ive learned came from the subreddit for it or the user-made wiki. Battles are interesting. Entertaining at first but at a certain point they can get kind of tedious. A big thing it suffers from that once you get the initial upper hand, its very hard to lose it. Basically whoever comes in with the better stats will almost always win. Dont get me wrong, I still think its overall better than the Civ 5 combat but it still needs work, especially since the AI seems almost paralyzed once it loses its first few units in battle. Maybe if units could move more than a few tiles in battle, they would actually be able to get across the battlefield before I cut them down at range with my bowmen, which can get insanely powerful. Victory conditions and quests could be better defined, some of them are kind of ambiguous. The game can get kind of frustrating at times, but when I stuck with it I was rewarded with a really great experience.

Overall, I would give it an 8/10.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Thanks for the greater detail, I look forward to playing it. I picked up the bundle knowing it might be a little hit or miss, so I'm OK with that. It sounds like your experience is still encouraging enough to make it qualify as worthy of a run through.

I think you'll like the victory conditions in AOW3, the DLC added a couple that are too hard to describe, but suffice to say they make it so you don't end up in a siege of the last hold out city scenario, they are really quite intelligent additions. And I've had a great experience playing both with and without teams, it's nice having them because your AI teammate will not abandon you (unless of course you do stuff intentionally to cause them to), alliance systems in games often don't function all that well, this is sort of a nod in that direction making it possible for the player to create campaigns where they do.

So, have you played either of the other two endless games?

I thought I mentioned that I played Endless Space before? Havent tried the other one, the one about dungeons.

But to quote myself,

Endless Space is ok, not too great. I got a solid 15 hours in the game before I got bored. Its a nice game but lacks the character that Endless Legend does. Also battles are tedious, much more so than Endless Legend since battles are capped at 12 ships per side and you can have stacked units of a hundred units at a time, now imagine fighting each battle over and over, 12 units at a time.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ah, that's right, so sounds like Endless Space, which given the order I'm playing them will be the last of the three might be the least of the three as well, haha

Also the AI is absurdly competent/cheats to the point of frustration that even on the easiest difficulty the AI will beat you anyways, its rather unforgiving.

Speaking of which, I posted this over a year ago on the Endless Space subreddit:

This was taken after I lost one of my first games on ES. EL is almost as unforgiving but I think you have much more control as I think its less linear than ES.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 05-13-2015 at 00:28.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Ok, first up, hour or two with Dungeon of the Endless and I can safely say I love the look and feel plus the music, but hate the game. Rogue like perm-death rinse repeat bullshit is clearly meant for an audience I don't remotely resemble.

Next up Endless Legend (currently installing), hopefully it and Endless Space prove more my style. Starting to suspect this dev house might be leaning in the direction of artificially stupid difficulty, we'll see. I'll be happy even if I bounce off two of the three as long as one of them sticks...

I turned off things like wonder, science and money or whatever victory in Endless Space. The AI can be beaten in battles even though it likes to use stupid zergling fleets. I'd say however that it is not very good at actually designing ships, I once fought an Amoeba AI that put only defenses onto all of its ships, they were really hard to kill until I teched up my weapons more and even then took a bit but it was almost impossible to lose as they would almost never fire a shot back... My current game is on Easy and I seem to be able to win it. I did however create my own Space Germans which get +30% tonnage and +40% hitpoints for their ships or something like that, especially the extra tonnage helps a ton (pun intended). Oh and having a system with a whole lot of industrial output. What I haven't used yet though are the terraforming abilities which seem to turn planets into different planet types. Turning all or many of your planets into gas giants to specialize systems seems a bit like a lame cheat if that is actually possible.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

So, just finished yet another immensely enjoyable AOW3 campaign and I've decided it's time to check out Endless Legend, as I mentioned above I immeidatley bounced off Dungeon of the Endless, doubt I'll ever go back. But first hour of so in Endless Legend has been fun, played the tutorial and started a campaign, not much clue what I'm doing but I'll troop along sorting it out as a I got, has a bit of Civ 5 and AOW3 feel about it, I love the way it looks, but got to say the UI is not intuitive as AOW3's (just about everything you do requires you to try and figure out how to do it).

Hopefully the uniqueness of each race really plays out in the campaign, that alone would make it enjoyable from my perspective.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I'm currently doing a replay of Fallout 3 (coinciding with the F4 announcement) with the FWE mod. That mod does wonders for the game. It's much harder. Levelling is slower, less boni, combat is short and lethal - a bunch of raiders is no longer XP on legs -, supplies are scarce. Great mod.

I'm doing both H1Z1 alpha and World of Warships Beta. They're both fun in their own ways.

I'd be interested to hear if warships works as a game that's any fun, and if so how they managed that.

Well right now they're probably going to stop closed and start open beta soon so you can see for yourself "soon" but its alright. Just like World of Tanks I assume (which I have not played)

You start at a basic level ship and gain exp in matches, either coop or pvp. Gain exp and money and work your way up to better ships and mods. I'll post some screenies later.

Trying my hand at Door Kickers. Its actually a really hard game, but also fun. Currently on sale on Steam for about $4. Its like Frozen Synapse, a top down tactical shooter.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'm going to pick that one up no sale myself as well, just too cheap not to check out, anticipate I'll likely suck at as much as I do invisible, but that's ok, when I'm in the mood for rogue like I just roll with the punches.

The modding community is small but somewhat prolific. Plenty of added weapons and armor plus missions and I think there are even campaigns as well. I have about five hours in the game so far and still so much more to do. A quick run through of a mission can take anywhere between five minutes and a half hour for the sole reason that I keep going back to get that perfect plan with no SWAT casualties and everything done in one fluid motion. When that happens its really a beautiful thing to see.

EDIT: Im counting 950 user-made missions and 160 equipment mods so theres plenty to work with in that regard. I just wish the sound mods would update to the newer weapons that the devs added.
    Last edited by Hooahguy; 12-01-2015 at 16:29.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Perfecting a level is what makes tactical games so great
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-01-2015 at 15:27.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Played through Bioshock Infinite and enjoyed it, though it did seem a bit short. I'll probably go through it again since I missed some bits. Overall I'd say it was an enjoyable experience. Not sure if the DLC is worth picking up or not, but if it's on sale I might give it a shot.

Also, got Civ V and the expansions and played a bit of that. I've completed one game as Korea and got a tourism victory. The social policies(?) were the only thing that got me. I wasn't really sure what I should got for and ended going all over the place. Ended up completing like 5-6 different trees. I'll probably up the difficulty and keep playing around with it for a while.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

While I arrived late on the scene as usual with this one, I've found it rather addictive fun, bought Cities: Skylines when it was half off and I just can't stop building and tweaking my city. Damn good time if you ask me.

Ja mata, TosaInu Forum Administrator edyzmedieval's Avatar

Anyone here currently playing World of Warships?
    Ja mata, TosaInu. You will forever be remembered.

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

Yes.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

I used to play a lot but I dont have the time anymore.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Castlevania: Dracula X, I never played this one before but I can fully understand why it wowed people in the SNES era, it is quite frankly gorgious to look at and it's incredibly smooth to play, not a hickup to be found, or at least noticed, incredibly responsive and that's needed because it's oldschool unforgiving, you die a lot even in the early stages it's kinda brutal

Did I say kinda brutal, oh dear.

So I decided to replay the Swapper, it has no real replay value sadly but I love the atmosphere. It's also just the most gorgious looking 2D game on WiiU and PS4. The WiiU is the one to get if you have one, it looks and runs better and the WiiU controller is put to good use.

DIRT 3 Complete Edition.

Got it for free from Humble Bundle, quite a lot of fun!

Proud

Been to:

Swords Made of Letters - 1938. The war is looming in France - and Alexandre Reythier does not have much time left to protect his country. A novel set before the war.

A Painted Shield of Honour - 1313. Templar Knights in France are in grave danger. Can they be saved?

For some reason, Hitman Blood Money is really the only game that brings me any joy nowadays.
    Visited:
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

For TosaInu and the Org Senior Member The_Emperor's Avatar

I'm currently finishing The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt and now going through its expansions. A lot of fun but I think I need to make a new purchase soon.
    "Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it."

Playing the Breath of the Wild, it's asgood as you must have heard but it kinda lacks the Zelda-vibe, change isn't always for the better even if it's better.It really is but I kinda miss the vibe that makes Zelda games so fun with it's restrictions. The Windwaker remains the best Zelda-game for me, nothing is as glorious as the moment the game lets you loose after the first dungeons to let you map everything out, the overworld is just so much fun to explore because everything is so gorgious to look and listen at, setting sail never gets old with that sublime music kicking in. The artstyle remains perfect even after all these years, this gem aged so well. I wished I could apreciate Breath the Wild just as much as I really should because it's fantastic, but I can't really love it the same way
    Last edited by Fragony; 03-27-2017 at 02:23.

Played a bit of Age of Empires lately - along with some M2TW - and the good ol' DoDS.

Proud

Been to:

Page 105 of 108 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108 LastLast