Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default The "What are you playing?" topic.

I don't think we've ever had one of these. May as well give it a try. The idea is simple: say what you're playing, what it's on, and what you think. Progress is optional.

Currently playing:
    PS2: Shadow Hearts. About half way after 10 hours. Quite a good RPG, this. A bit different to the usual JRPG; it's got a dark atmosphere, a good(!) random encounter rate, and an interesting battle system which requires concentration and more participation from the player than blindly hitting attack over and over.

Wii: Red Steel. Still dawdling through the opening. Fun. Over the top action movie silliness with great controls.

PSP: Lord of the Rings: Tactics. I've got about 2 hours of play recorded; I'm only playing on my lunch hour when I don't want to read a book. It's nice enough, the missions are bitsized so I can typcially play two per lunch break.

And I am going to finish one of them before I so much as try another game! Even if I get new ones. Even though I don't get much playtime, so it takes ages to finish anything. No more flitting from game to game: I'm going to finish what I start, either playing till the end or until I have had enough and am no longer enjoying myself.
    Frogbeastegg's Guide to Total War: Shogun II. Please note that the guide is not up-to-date for the latest patch.

American since 2012 Senior Member AntiochusIII's Avatar

Default Re: The "What are you playing?" topic.

Yay, first after-first-post post!

Civilization IV: Warlords. I'm on a roll with Saladin, playing the easiest difficulty (just learning the ropes, hey!). Despite it being the easiest difficulty, it's not easy for me at all. (Then again, I suck at every game I play.)

I'm playing quite expansionist, keep pushing on settlers after settlers in the hopes of widening my Empire as far as possible -- it's a Pangaea map, so gaining as much land as I could is a priority of mine, despite the drawbacks in maintenance/research. But have been avoiding war so far except for the underhanded Aztecs (damn that Montezuma) attack when I overextended my military. Took me the whole Middle Ages to stop and get back at them.

Right now I'm in Industrial. A very, very fun game. And the Great Walls are beyond awesome.

I've also been getting back on EU2. Awaiting the new AGCEEP with extreme anxiety. Come on, guys! Where's the new map you promised?

Nur-ad-Din Forum Administrator TosaInu's Avatar

Red Orchestra Ostfront.

MTW VI SamWars.
    Ja mata

TosaInu

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

I made the mistake of re-installing GTA:San Andreas.

Now, if you want to excuse me, I just unlocked San Fierro and I have 50 snapshots to take
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

The odd few turns of Alpha Centauri, when I've got the time. When I get back home in the weekend I may go for a few years as Epirus in EB.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Professional Lurker Member Bava's Avatar
    Somewhere with a cold Augustiner in my hands

Just finished a Dawn of War MP game. I lost (which is bad ). To a good friend (which is even worse ). I think im going hear the story of his "Victoraaaaay!!!" every time we meet for approx. 3 months....

Currently on my HD: DoW, Mount&Blade (with The Last Days mod), EB.
    "Well, whenever I'm confused, I just check my underwear. It holds the answer to all the important questions." - Grandpa Simpson

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Solo play - Civilization Warlords - got drawn back into Civ4s "just one more turn" addiction thanks to the Arena. Got quite far playing Elizabeth on Prince, but then I lost a town to a back stab due to a lack of a military. I also messed up by building the National Epic in a different town from my Great Library and other Wonders. So now I want to start afresh and do things right this time.

I still have a very promising NWN2 campaign on hold - just arrived at Neverwinter - but that's an experience I am holding on for a while so I can savour it. I don't really have enough leisure to do it justice

Multi-player (co-operative with son) - Dawn of War Dark Crusade. 2v2 skirmishes with the AI are fun; the AI works like a real team so it is hard to beat. By contrast, it's a yawn playing solo.

PBM - M2TW HRE campaign in the Throne Room. I should be playing M2TW solo as well, as its a much more satisfying experience than Civ4. But not nearly as addictive. I confess I'm also waiting for the patch, as learning about the 2H and shield bugs has dampened some of my enthusiasm for the battles (knowing they could be better).

I also encountered the same situation.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

All on PC:

MTW:VI, Viking Era Irish campaign, in the mop up stage, should be done in 10 turns or so. Also have a Early Era Danish campaign from a while back, may get around to that after my Irish campaign is done.

I also have Dawn of War I may go back to for some fun, short games, while M2TW and Warhammer MoC are sitting in their boxes, awaiting a newer, faster PC (and patches ).
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Chieftain of the Pudding Race Member Evil_Maniac From Mars's Avatar

PC:
    -America's Army (I'm new to the game, if anyone has tips, that'd be great)
    -MOH:AA (online only, really)
    -Mafia (fooling around in Free Ride for the most part)
    -HOI:II Doomsday (of course)
    -M:TW VI (XL Mod)
    -BI (Corsair Invasion Mod)

Gamecube:
    -Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory (I just got back to it)

I am currently playing The Witcher an RPG game. I can't believed they are using NWN2 Aurora engine for this game. The graphic is stunning!

Btw, some of the lines in the game are also pretty funny, e.g i have agree to perform a task for the King for 1000 orens( the currency in the game ) but the King only agrees to pay me 800 instead citing that i need to pay my income tax??
    A Member of Clan SG

"水无常形,兵无常势"

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Finished 'No More Heroes' over the weekend. A bit short at around 15hrs, but a fun M-rated game with tons of style.

My main gaming focus is now on Persona3 and Metroid Prime- but I keep getting distracted by TraumaCenter: New Blood.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

One easily trifled with Member Target Champion Motep's Avatar

Final fantasy X (creeping up on 150 hours...)

Final Fantasy XII (Its fun...and Im way overleveled from where I am at. The henne mines just arent that much fun at level 46.)

Dynasty Warriors 5: Xtreme Legends will arrive within the week. Is why I like amazon...

Oh yes! I forgot! Im also playing Drakenguard again, But I think Ill stick with FFXII. (Has anyone else noted the extreme wierdness eminating from that game?)
    Last edited by Motep; 03-03-2008 at 15:18.
    TosaInu shall never be forgotten.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

King-Kong, which much to my surprise is an amazing game.

still playing CoD4, will get that gold M60!

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Playing Viking: Battle for Asgard, and I'm disappointed in CA. I am NOT liking this game so far. It just feels like a watered-down God of War, right down to the quicktime events and fatalities. The insistence to rapidly tab the B button to do ANYTHING annoys the hell out of me. Open a chest? Tap B. Open a door? Tap B. Use a fayline? Tap B. Free prisoners? Yep, you guessed it: Tap B.
    There are no levels, so no real reason to kill enemies except that they are in the way. Stealth is a poor mechanic that needs expanding upon. No classes to choose unless bad-ass sword-wielding steroid viking is a class.
    Achievements are dull and lifeless. "Kill X Legion" seems to be the prevalent 360 achievement type. I can think of plenty of achievements that are more interesting than "Complete X Level" or "Kill X Enemy"

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

CA? What's that now? Oh, that...
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Ricky with the VIP mod installed. I am playing as Carlist Spain and... wow...

If you haven't played as Carlist Spain before, try it next time. You start in a Civil War with Spain and if you play well enough you can make a couple of territorial gains in the first part of the Civil War (I captured Madrid and forced Spain to sign peace... which worked out well). However, after that initial war things get much, much tougher. I just fought part 2 of the Civil War and I was forced to give up some land (Though I have still made a net gain after the first 2 civil wars). However, worse than that is that Spain destroyed all but 4 of my 12 divisions during the war. Yeah... Not good...

I shall persevere and... survive...
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

I am playing as Carlist Spain
    All you need to do is take Madrid, Barcelona and Estella and you win the civil war and take control of all of the Spanish Empire.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    All you need to do is take Madrid, Barcelona and Estella and you win the civil war and take control of all of the Spanish Empire.
    Hmm... how long do I need to hold these for?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

PC: Medieval: Total War
    Battle for Middle Earth
    and im thinking about re-installing Diablo II (just have to find it)

Wii: Resident Evil 4
    Blazing Angels
    "As long as there are man, there will be wars"

Veni, Vidi, Vici - Caius Julius Caesar

Current active games:

Europa Barbarorum.
    Europa Universalis 3(+ expansions)
    Dwarf Fortress (of course)

Fragony has 20 kill streak!

COD WOW

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Left 4 Dead. Mindless slaughter!
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Operation anchorage downloadable content for Fallout 3.

Opinion so far is whilst it isn't bad, I think it should be a lesson in why trying to turn a RPG into a shooter doesn't work all that great..

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

The Chosen One Member Noddy The Beefy Egg's Avatar

Playing EU3 and Vicky.

On my titles, Kaiser means king in German. So i'm the king

SELLING PIRATINGS OF THIS VIDEOGAME WILL RESULT IN PUNISHMENT BY CRUSHING

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Dwarf Fortress.

Oh yeah.

It's got it's claws in me and this time I'm unsure it will ever let go. My time in XCOM's Ironman mode sparked an interest in a true rogue-like experience. When I started looking for something that would sate my gaming desire but was more free form kind of experience, Dwarf Fortress' name kept popping up. I dabbled with DF back in '10 but was always a bit turned off by the steep learning curve, the UI (or lackthereof, as it were!) and the complex nature of the game.

With the help of the wiki and a few very, very informative walkthroughs on Youtube.. I believe i've overcome that curve, and found a very rewarding game. The freedom of Dwarf Fortress is both it's greatest weakness and it's greatest strength. I feel, more and more as the years go by, that I enjoy games that allow me to make the story waaaay more than ones where it is simply told to me. I like to just let my imagination go nuts and craft my own experience. Games like Crusader Kings II, Mount and Blade, and XCOM to a certain extent all do that.

A small example of what I mean would be the story of my current fortress. While there are many things going on in day-to-day life, a humorous event has popped up which no doubt inspires terror in the hearts of my dwarves. An enraged badger has moved in to the area right outside my initial embark location and is preventing us from getting the rest of the goods off the travelling cart. Now, we got almost everything off anyway (all thats up there is cloth I think) and 98% of all operations take place in my now heavily fortified Fortress. But every so often a woodcutter or a gatherer will get too close and the Badger enrages and chases my dwarf off. The badger doesn't seem to want to do anything except.. guard the wagon. So it's not really affecting me, yet I still get messages about it, constantly, every time my workers think they are brave enough to scavenge in his area.

I can just imagine the woodcutters coming into the fort with their stories.. "He was 50 feet tall, teeth like daggers, breathing fire! I barely escaped with my life!"

Ah. Good times. Someone help me, I think I'm in love
    Last edited by Monk; 11-03-2012 at 03:37.

Oregon Trail 5, a.k.a. Oregon Trail 3D

This is a lot more fun than the franchise-founding original. In that one, it's the other pathetic weaklings who always hold you back. Let them die like the mewling squirrels they are, and you'll get through just fine.

The ultimate iteration's detail gives it much more replayability. Can you succeed with a get-go food loadout of 100% sugar, candy, molasses, honey, dried fruit, maple syrup, licorice, lard, and butter? I can't.
    Vitiate Man.

History repeats the old conceits
    The glib replies, the same defeats

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Few hours of Spec-ops:the line. It isn't all that much fun to play but the setting is great, place is a nightmare. At a certain moment you screw up and you won't forget the consequences of your bad call very soon. This is a dark and serious game, just wish it played better. Gears of Wat perfected third persoon controls why not just copy it.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gelatinous Cube View Post
    I tried to play Dwarf Fortress and I just... can't. The premise is so awesome, but good lord is this a pain in the ass.
    Not going to deny it one bit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast