Thread: Hunnic skulls

Default Hunnic skulls

Perhaps this is why the Roman were terrified of them. Was this usual? Did it have any effects on brain functions?

Cataphract Of The City

His higness, the Sultan Member Randarkmaan's Avatar

Default Re: Hunnic skulls

Or perhaps that guy was just a little... deformed...
    "One of the nice things about looking at a bear is that you know it spends 100 per cent of every minute of every day being a bear. It doesn't strive to become a better bear. It doesn't go to sleep thinking, "I wasn't really a very good bear today". They are just 100 per cent bear, whereas human beings feel we're not 100 per cent human, that we're always letting ourselves down. We're constantly striving towards something, to some fulfilment"
    -Stephen Fry

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

One often reads the Huns practiced decorative cranial deformation. It's not all that unusual a practice, turns up here and there around the world over history. IIRC the usual technique involved trying planks or something else suitable around the heads of infants early on when their bones are still all soft and springy and whatnot, so they ossify into the desired shape. I'd assume the brain, being the squishy thing it is, adapted readily enough to the treatment - if it had major negative side effects the practice would bviously die out pretty fast after all since you'd be lobotomizing about the whole upper strata of the society...
    Last edited by Watchman; 01-22-2007 at 00:31.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

What about adaptations to connect brain to nervous system. I know it connects to the spine, and then spreads out. However, would the body know to create more nerve cells, and other body parts to accomodate for the elongated head?
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Eh, those connections are in the bottom part aren't they ? Decorative deformation doesn't touch them AFAIK, and probably can't either. Look at that skull up there, and you'll notice the deformation has clearly been done to the upper parts of the skull where there isn't annoying stuff (say, the neck) in the way.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

I had heard that it was actually practised by those peoples under Hunnic control, in order to emulate their overlords asiatic features.

Sig by Durango

Now that the House of Commons is trying to become useful, it does a great deal of harm.
    -Oscar Wilde

Cranial deformation has been widely practiced throughout history, as Watchman states, even in 17thC mid France apparently. The Flathead Native American tribe used to bind wood to the heads of infants in order to achieve flattening of the skull. The skull in the picture belongs to a Hun woman and it is one of many similarly deformed skulls that have been discovered. The elongation is achieved by head binding.
    Here is the dilema; not all Hun finds contain evidence of this practice so it is hard to understand the reasons. The Sarmatians have been linked to the same practice so there are many theories. Perhaps the Huns adopted some Sarmatian culture from the tribes they conquered? Perhaps it was only Sarmatian descendants who carried on the head binding? Maybe the Sarmatians adopted Hun practices? Could these be the skulls of an Elite class? There have also been Gothic remains displaying evidence of cranial deformation so the best we can do is guess

......Orda

Maybe it was indeed only custom of the elite.In another culture where skull flattening was popular,Mayas.It was mostly the children of Elite that went through the process.
    Ja Mata Tosainu Sama.

Well, the social elites were usually the only ones who could spare the time and effort for that sort of vanity anyway. The commoners tended to be too busy not starving.

'Sides, what sort of status symbol would it be if everyone did it ?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

The Karankawas did this in TEXAS they also ate people this was of course before granpappy told them to convert or die

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    They died
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

The Incas as well; plus they did the cross-eyed thing.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Non-European societies seem to have enjoyed this.
    Africans, Aztecs, Native Americans, Chinese, Huns, and maybe even Europeans but I don't have any idea if they did it.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Friend of Lady Luck Member Mooks's Avatar

Gah, can you imagine having a deformed head like that?

I dont blame the romans for being afraid of them. They mustv looked like aliens.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    i love the idea that angsty-teens can get so spazzed out by computer games that they try to rage-rape themselves with a remote.

Perhaps this is why the Roman were terrified of them. Was this usual? Did it have any effects on brain functions?[/QUOTE]

this are Paracas skulls from southamerica

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Apparently it was practiced by numerous groups.

It would seem that any resulting damage is likely the product of the degree of deformation induced. Source

Interestingly, the types of lobe damage that would first occur would be to the frontal lobes -- normally associated with self-restraint, self-monitoring, innovation, etc. Might actually lend a bit of biological support for reported "excesses" associated with some barbarian cultures.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken