For those who are new to multiplayer using Hamachi, here is instructions how to do:
How To: Multiplayer with Hamachi
1. If you want to play and join a public Hamachi network, use a clean installation of Medieval II + the latest patch (1.2 + 1.3) OR the Kingdoms expansion. Don´t use modification packages for avoiding compability problems.
2. Download and install Hamachi. Follow the instructions and configure the application.
3. In your Medieval II folder, by default: "C:\Program Files\SEGA\Medieval II Total War", find the file called "medieval2.preference.cfg" and open it with notepad. Scroll down until you find where it says "use_ip = " under the category [network]. Put Hamachis IP number in (big number located at the top of your Hamachi window). For example: "use_ip = 5.57.972.139".
4. Save "medieval2.preference.cfg".
5. If you use a software firewall, allow full Internet access and server rights for both Hamachi and Medieval II (both UDP and TCP).
6. If you use a router (NAT), you have to make a port forwarding. In Hamachi, go to: "Configure/Preferences/Status/Detailed configuration", there you mark both UDP and TCP and type which port you want to use, for example: "27750". You now have to allow Hamachi using this port, "27750", in your router for both UDP and TCP. Go to Portforward and choose your router model and then the instructions for "Hamachi". Go directly to the instructions for your router model.
7. In Hamachi you can now join or create a new network (name + password). Look in this forum/thread for any new networks to join.
8. Start Medieval II, click "Multiplayer" and choose your player name (same as your Hamachi member name is recommended). Then click "LAN Battles" to enter the lobby and either host (create) a new game or join an existing game.
- A network can contain 1 owner, up to 16 basic members and up to 256 premium members = up to 273 members in total (for premium membership see pricelist).
- Don´t be connected online to the same player you are playing with through several networks at once, as this will decrease the performance of the game (lag). Go offline in those other networks where the same player appears for best performance.
- If you have created a network (owner) and are a premium member, please disable encryption for improving the performance of the games between all premium members within that network. Games with basic members are always encrypted.
If you still have a lagproblem, then you have to lower your audio and video settings. Still lag? get a faster machine and/or faster Internet connection.
It´s easy and fun! Enjoy! /Cerxes.