Thread: The new map thread

Crusading historian Member cegorach's Avatar

Default The new map thread

I will post screenshots in this thread.

The purpose of this topic will be to give as much information which can be used for the mod as possible.

Try to find old maps or better new ones, but from historical atlases with as much information as possible.

The main issue are the FORESTS - large and small - in 1570.

selenius4tsd from TWC volunteered to make the map. So if you post HERE you will give him support he needs.

IT is your CHANCE to help the project, to make YOUR country as it should be, so don't hesitate to post.

See some of the first results here:

As you can see the map is pretty LARGE

Default Re: The new map thread

"As you can see the map is pretty LARGE"

yes it is... but how big will the areas be? for example how many provinces will Anatolia have?

AFAIK in Medieval 2 it has 8 provinces.

Earl Of Warwick/Wannabe Tuareg Member beauchamp's Avatar
    Minneapolis, Minnesota/Kaltenbach, Tiroll

Sweet, you can include Muscat (Oman) and many east african cities....I can post an idea for middle eastern/african cities/provinces if youd like...

Ya Misr!

Ahoy, I am your mapper!
    This map is, obviously, still in early days. Before moving onto ground types etc., I would like to sort out the coastlines and continental features etc.
    To answer Bakma's question - it is difficult to see if a map is going to be crowded and too small when it is still bare (contains no regions, ground types etc), but I will make sure that I sort this out so that there is enough space.

My plan from here on in is to:
    1) Increase the scale of the map as much as necessary and is possible
    2) Start drawing up a regions list. Thank you beauchamp for your offer, I will post the bare regions map in a few days so that we can start with this process.

More to come soon. ;)

Selenius.

Quote Originally Posted by beauchamp
    Sweet, you can include Muscat (Oman) and many east african cities....I can post an idea for middle eastern/african cities/provinces if youd like...

Yes that would be helpful a lot. Especially Africa...

@Bakma

yes it is... but how big will the areas be? for example how many provinces will Anatolia have?

Not too many, but we will see later...

@serenius4tsd

Welcome !

About provinces - I doubt we can cross the RTW limit of 199 provinces so it will take some effort to create a credible list of provinces.

One thing for sure it will be crowded only in most politically divided regions : Germany, Flandres, Italy and in France because of its large population.
    Also India because of its huge population should consist of over a dozen of provinces.

For now I can propose the following limits:

12 for BOTH americas.

28 for Africa - some will be huuuge, especially in Sahara,

50 for Asia - about 15 in India,

the rest - 109 will go to Europe and for some Atlantic islands (few of them).

If anything is left it can be used elsewhere, but remember we need more in Europe which is crowded with factions - Uzbeks, Moghuls and Persia are the only fully asian factions we have and they need to meet someone else than rebells...

Fighting the Good Fight Member Zasz1234's Avatar

Howdy,

Here are some maps of India:
    This shows the Mughal Provinces:

Some physical, major cities, resources:

Another political map. Harder to read but has major cities too:

Physicals of the Region:

Climate Map:

and a satellite image:

Hope this is useful. Keep up the good work and best of luck.

Zasz
    Inhale, exhale
    Forward, back
    Living, dying:
    Arrows, let flown each to each
    Meet midway and slice
    The void in aimless flight
    --
    Thus I return to the source.

just an idea, make contested areas have much more provinces while certain areas that saw little actions would have fewer provinces.
    examples:anatolia,iberia,northern scandanavia,scotland,ireland,central russia, eastern sahara,continental americas,ect.
    all have fewer provinces since they were not highly contested.

examples:balkans,germany,flanders,france,england,northern india,mesopotamia,north africa, west african coast,western sahara,carribbean, southern scandanavia,eastern poland,ukraine,baltic states, and some others i forgot all have more provinces

just found this http://www.feldspa.com/images/Geogra...eogMap.gif.jpg

spanish provinces

I'd say this:
    -Either make the map large with plenty of provinces
    or
    -Make the map small with little provinces

Don't make something like RTR with loads of open space, 8 turns to reach the next town and too many rebels.

In Asia and Africa it will have to be this way, but not in Europe. Holland will be so closely packed that it will be pretty easy to reach not one, but more cities in one turn...

Member Member aleksandar macedonian II's Avatar
    Serbia,Sombor city where girls are pretty (Beware of Serbia in 1332)

Talking Re: The new map thread

This is the right way to go.
    Very nice job,I' think everyone is going to be delighted whit this map.

Quote Originally Posted by beauchamp

Thinking about it, cego, this fellow has a really great idea. Oman was very important back then, especially in the colonization of Africa. Was right there w/ the Portuguese. It was a pretty powerful country back then too.
    Eras Total Conquest, your Eras TW for Kingdoms.

If I only knew anything about its military/culture/history...

If the some relaible and extensive data is gathered it might be possible to use them as one of 'patched' factions.

This may be too late, but do you need historical maps? this site has many. under most any country/area there will be a handful of historical maps.
    http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/

enjoy

Hey i am in if you want me, i can make a websites, do some artwork and go over historic areas. I can also research everything else needed such as Units uniform and weapons of the age.

Hey, haven't been active here. But Will you possibly have a Swahili faction? Although there under much influence under a sultan they also had a unique culture (It would also be cool to have the first Black faction since Nubia ). I could provide you without a lot of ideas seeing as I am from Kenya (although not from the coast). I know a lot about the general region. I guess this idea is only valid if you intend going that far south.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kibbles5724 View Post
    Hey, haven't been active here. But Will you possibly have a Swahili faction? Although there under much influence under a sultan they also had a unique culture (It would also be cool to have the first Black faction since Nubia ). I could provide you without a lot of ideas seeing as I am from Kenya (although not from the coast). I know a lot about the general region. I guess this idea is only valid if you intend going that far south.
    the place is dead I'm afraid.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg