Thread: Cheezy trade exploit:

Merkismathr of Birka Member PseRamesses's Avatar
    Birka town in Svitjod. Realm of the Rus and the midnight sun.

Default Cheezy trade exploit:

Want to reserv trade resources for the future or cripple your neighbours trade without risking your low experienced merchants?
    Just place an agent or priest on the trade resource, in your own or another factions province. A competing merchant can´t access it. The only things that can disrupt this cheezy exploit is that your agent gets assassinated or that a military unit moves into that specific resource square.

Default Re: Cheezy trade exploit:

Definitely cheesy.
    Such is life- Ned Kelly -his last words just before he was hanged.

Quick, somebody come up with a reasonable sounding historical justification so I can use this.

For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light. - Izzi, The Fountain

Uh... well, Jesus threw the moneylenders out of his temple. Does that count?

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Finders keepers losers weepers
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

anything to dupe those merchant peons. and i love it when an inquisator comes along and gets close to a good stack army of mine. he he

Quote Originally Posted by General Zhukov
    Quick, somebody come up with a reasonable sounding historical justification so I can use this.
    Hmm, u can edit the units file and rename spies to prospectors.

well, it could be interpreted as the medieval mafia, so if the neighboring nations' merchants do not pay protection money (pay in terms of losing trade $ every turn), your agents (of the mafia) will not let him conduct business, easy as that. Your own merchants bring in trade money for you every single turn they are on the resource, so consider that as protection money paid, so he can do his thing. Don't tell me there is no bribery involved, I mean, the pope is on your (and potentially other factions') payroll, right? It's natural for you to be on the merchants' payroll. Whoever don't pay, he can't trade.
    Last edited by myz; 02-20-2007 at 17:42.

Leasing Mercenarys in Italy Member Sir_Hawkwood's Avatar

OK, as far as justification goes, this is pretty weak... But...

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/963medstead.html

... Just say your King has granted your Priest market rights on the resource...

^*%()>><~## Its not punctuation... Look closer and you'll see its scrapings from the bottom of a barrel...

SJH

I've seen the AI use armies to push my merchants off of resources before. I wonder if they'd do the same if your priest was blocking something good.

It's not terribly economically efficient for most resources; most that the computer goes after just aren't worth that terribly much. So what if he's trading wine in France and making what? Dozens of florins a turn? Some of the stuff they go after, they'll be lucky if they ever recoup the investment in their merchant in the first place.

And I almost never see the AI go after any of the really juicy merchant areas, Timbuktu, Arguin, the Americas... Hopefully in a patch or two, the AI will get more active on that. Not everyone should head there, but it'd be cool if playing a long style game having your next couple biggest rivals also pursue the new world. Right now it mostly seems like a fun diversion for single player games, instead of opening up a new battleground and new form of warfare.
    propa·gandist n.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon526
    I've seen the AI use armies to push my merchants off of resources before. I wonder if they'd do the same if your priest was blocking something good.
    On rare occasions yes. But it works the other way around too. Push a merch of the resource with a unit and place your agent or priest on it.

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon526
    I've seen the AI use armies to push my merchants off of resources before.
    I seriously doubt it was on purpose. More likely your merchant happened to be standing at the end of the AI's move path for that turn.

For every shadow, no matter how deep, is threatened by morning light. - Izzi, The Fountain

Quote Originally Posted by JCoyote
    It's not terribly economically efficient for most resources; most that the computer goes after just aren't worth that terribly much. So what if he's trading wine in France and making what? Dozens of florins a turn? Some of the stuff they go after, they'll be lucky if they ever recoup the investment in their merchant in the first place.

And I almost never see the AI go after any of the really juicy merchant areas, Timbuktu, Arguin, the Americas... Hopefully in a patch or two, the AI will get more active on that. Not everyone should head there, but it'd be cool if playing a long style game having your next couple biggest rivals also pursue the new world. Right now it mostly seems like a fun diversion for single player games, instead of opening up a new battleground and new form of warfare.
    Doesn't income from the exact same resourse differ from faction to faction?

Quote Originally Posted by JCoyote

And I almost never see the AI go after any of the really juicy merchant areas, Timbuktu, Arguin, the Americas... .
    I've seen plenty of merchants come after Timbuktu, but they always fall prey to my leveled-up merchants.

The ivory in southern Egypt has all kinds of high level AI merchants on it and fighting over it. I seldom can get my hands on that income.

Quote Originally Posted by ezoons
    Doesn't income from the exact same resourse differ from faction to faction?
    Not as much as you'd think. The great resources are still the great resources for every faction... gold, ivory, chocolate, tobacco...No matter what faction you play, those are what you really want. Wine? Meh. It just doesn't make that much for anybody. (And why do official merchant representatives of Muslim factions get to trade in it anyway?)

There is still an inherent value level for each resource.
    propa·gandist n.

A person convinced that the ends justify the memes.

Quote Originally Posted by General Zhukov View Post
    I do that a lot too! :D Only if the game is buggy and I need to use the exploit, ofcourse.