Thread: Mongols/Timurids AI

Default Mongols/Timurids AI

Not sure if this is post patch or not, but I am seriously liking how the Mongol/Timurid AI armies are fighting now. As soon as I click on the start button, they rushed me and and handed me my butt on a plate a couple times. That was cool. No more of this standing around stuff. They just ran full bore at me. My musketeers and artillery were useless and my general ran away crying. I had a decent full stack as Portugal and I got wiped out in about 2 mins. They also roam around with multiple stacks so that doesn't make things any easier. I wish other factions were as aggressive.

Master Procrastinator Member TevashSzat's Avatar

Default Re: Mongols/Timurids AI

That is probably the patch because the ai becomes much more aggresive if they have good odds of winning
    "I do not know what I may appear to the world; but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me." - Issac Newton

Not sure if it's the patch or not, as i haven't installed the patch and the Mongols charged me full speed ahead. They took out the turks, Byzatine Empire, and Hungary. Right now i have them bottlenecked at Constantinople. They declared a jihad on that city and have about 7-8 full stacks waiting around to attack me. Every turn they send in about 2 stacks to try and take the city. I myself have about 13-14 full stacks around that area fighting them off. And i'm having a blast doing so.
    In those simple times there was a great wonder and mystery in life. Man walked in fear and solemnity, with Heaven very close above his head, and Hell below his very feet. -Sir Nigel

I warped them over to the new world to see what would happen. This should be interesting....or not.

I have noticed that the Mongols are not consistent in their battle tactics though. Sometimes they rush at me right off the bat and sometimes they just manouver around not doing much on the battlefield. This while the composition of my army is the same and the location pretty similiar also.

Quote Originally Posted by Chosun
    Not sure if this is post patch or not, but I am seriously liking how the Mongol/Timurid AI armies are fighting now. As soon as I click on the start button, they rushed me and and handed me my butt on a plate a couple times. That was cool. No more of this standing around stuff. They just ran full bore at me. My musketeers and artillery were useless and my general ran away crying. I had a decent full stack as Portugal and I got wiped out in about 2 mins. They also roam around with multiple stacks so that doesn't make things any easier. I wish other factions were as aggressive.
    You're right that the level of challenge is several orders of magnitude higher with the hordes than anything you'll see in Europe. I've been playing Venice, and just for the additional challenge have been avoiding northern and western europe. I've been fighting the Mongols in the middle east for many years. (I actually won the game a while back, but I want the satisfaction of finishing them off once and for all.)

They can bum rush a wall or gate breach and burst through a stack of very good units. One time I had the khanzada attacking the front of Antioch with rams ladders and towers, while the khan was knocking holes on the exact opposite side with trebuchets. I've never been massacred with a good stack inside a city like that.

Those high command high dread generals can cause chain routs pretty fast, and can take 5 or 6 units to kill. I feel pretty good if I just kill one of them, even if it costs me a whole stack.