Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: A guide to install EB, screenshots provided

Default Re: A guide to install EB, screenshots provided

Hey thanks for the rapid answer Bovi!

I'll try my procedure once I managed to overcome step 1 problem, though (see below)

I still have 24 GB out of 120 GB of my HD, so I'm pretty sure Im not running out of HD space. My RAM is 2 Gigs, anyway, in case that could be a problem.

I just cancelled the unistallation process of EB v082 coz after 1 hour the progress bar still shows approximately 10% of progress... this could takes 10 hours to complete! So... do you have any suggestion how to unistall previous EB "normally"?

Thx a lo, again...

Well, it shouldn't take that long. Must be something special in your case. You can just leave it there though and install 1.0 with 7-zip. If you need further help, please make an own help thread.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

For the first three installation attempts I used Bittorrent, I made the same "Activision" instead of "CreativeAssembly" mistake. I tried installing it from FileFront and now it's worse.

Instead of this: https://img528.imageshack.us/my.php?image=g3ry2.jpg
    I get irrelevant options:

Modify

Repair

Remove

I didn't know what to do, just when I figured it out I get bad luck.

That's because the installer has detected you had already installed a copy of EB. In other words: you have not uninstalled at all, or you have not uninstalled through the control panel/ the installer. (EB is still registered on your system as installed, you see.)

Solution: choose 'remove'. Have a lot of patience nearby: the installer is going to remove all files it previously installed on your PC.

Then you can run the installer again (doesn't matter which one as the fault lays with the user, not the installer package...) and this time install to the right directory.

---------

There are a few other options to explore, if you wish, as well; but neither one of them will be as 'fool-proof', and 'user-friendly'. These options are - providing you have a spare back up of RTW 1.5 (which you can always create yourself)-
    1) You could dump the EB folder created by the installer on top of it and readjust the shortcut to point at the right location. Downside: it will be as good as impossible to uninstall EB at a later stage using the uninstaller. And it isn't as clean regarding your registry files either (since something is registered there which doesn't actually exist anymore at the location it was supposed to be).
    2) You could use 7-Zip or similarly powerful archive tool to extract the files to the right location. Readjust the shortcut as mentioned earlier. And remove the useless install of EB using the uninstaller too! Downside: this way the EB installer may 'think' there is no copy of EB installed on your PC at all.

It is probably a sound idea to defragment your harddrive after taking either approach.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Edit: as you wish
    Last edited by I Am Herenow; 12-23-2007 at 16:01.

I'd feel almost inclined to leave that as is, see if anyone comes to ask for help about "but how then do I play 1.0?" . Ah well. See if anyone notices...
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios
    Step 6: After installing EB
    Wow, you and your PC made it through! Now you can choose what you'll do next. You can read the readme file (recommended)
    Perhaps this is a good place to remind people to start the background script, as those who need this guide are likely the same ones who won't know about it.

Step 6: After installing EB
    Wow, you and your PC made it through! Now you can choose what you'll do next. You can read the readme file (Recommended. Pay particular notice to the starting of the background script.)

================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Yeah... Some idea.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Extended.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Updated the guide for the benefit of people who use Vista for OS.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Quote Originally Posted by bovi, on the top of the page
    Please create your own help thread.

================
    ================

I installed RTW gold correctly and EB correctly and I click on the EB icon, it loads, i wait...everytime after about 3-5 minutes it shuts down and sends me back to windows. Im dying to play this mod. Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by bovi, numerous places in this page
    Please create your own help thread.

================
    ================

Updated the guide with the notice to create your own help thread, and something (quite possibly competely redundant) about minimods.
    - Tellos Athenaios

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Tellos, I've copied this thread over at the TWC technical forum, to help people there. Just to let you know.

Ok.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Best Laugh on the Seven Seas Member Good Ship Chuckle's Avatar
    Aboard me scurvy vessel, giving orders to swashbucklers and landlubbers alike. Yaarg!

I would just like to report that I followed all the steps in this guide, and had a successful install of EB. However, I've decided not to keep playing EB, becuase it is too unbearbly slow (not a problem do to installation, just my own impatience). Otherwise, EB is a success.
    When your mama jokes aren't funny anymore, who ya gonna call?
    Eshmunazar lol

Laughin' out loud since 251 BC.

You may want to try again when you next upgrade your computer.

================
    ================

Updated the guid with a note on Steam.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Just a quick thanks for an excellent guide.

As a vista user I was slightly worried it would go pear shaped giving this mod a chuck, however it went very well and I am enjoying it immensley, especially the revised map :)

can someone please tell me why it runs really slow, i can run RTW on 'very high' but EB seems to go really slow, why is this? I am so desperate to play it, it looks freakin awsome!

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Selb23
    can someone please tell me why it runs really slow, i can run RTW on 'very high' but EB seems to go really slow, why is this? I am so desperate to play it, it looks freakin awsome!
    The files in EB are much larger than those in vanilla, especially the script. EB is going to always be slower than vanilla, but there are ways to help. Try searching the forums, as there have been many topics on this. Also, there is a link in the FAQ to a thread with some advice on how to help releave the lag.

Thankyou, I think i've found the right thread but if it still runs slow could you tell me what sought of upgrade I may need for my computer i.e. Video card

That depends entirely on what hardware you currently have. RAM is a good bet though, if you don't have at least 2GB.

================
    ================

Ahhh it aint too bad now and also what does the modesty patch or whatever its called actually do and is it possible to remove it?

The modesty patch makes naked units wear a loincloth. For some reason some people seem to be scared of pixellated depictions of penises, while depictions of genocide is quite alright.

You cannot uninstall the modesty patch, but you can restore the original files by extracting them from the EB installer using 7-zip (open the modesty patch installer with 7-zip to see which files are overwritten by it).

================
    ================

Does the same thing work for 1.1???

Modesty patch? Yeah sure it does. If you happen to have installed the trivial script you should have a "Configuration" shortcut. If you use that one you will see a screen with all sorts of EB & RTW settings you can change, among them the option to apply the modesty patch.
    - Tellos Athenaios

i need a guide on how to install the rtw 1.5 patch, i cant figure it out

Which part of it is difficult? You install RTW 1.0, then patch it to 1.2 (or 1.3, can't remember), and finally patch it to 1.5. If you're running RTW Gold, don't do anything after installation.
    Last edited by bovi; 05-12-2008 at 18:24.

================
    ================

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast