Page 13 of 236 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: News of the Weird

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re: News of the Weird

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache
    Canucks and the missing gravity
    For more than 40 years, scientists have tried to figure out what's causing large parts of Canada, particularly the Hudson Bay region, to be "missing" gravity.
    Ah, so that explains why of all the North Americans the Québécois are the least gravitationally challenged.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Don't know quite how to describe it, but this must have been one hell of a ride

Will leave the punning or whatever to those more experienced in this thread
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information - Calvin -

I've just read that and was going to post it!

What cool head that guy had, he was only bothered about spilling his pop. Not to mention 50 MPH.

A whole new meaning to 'doing a wheelie'.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

IWhat cool head that guy had, he was only bothered about spilling his pop. Not to mention 50 MPH.
    Yes, he was radiating calm. Mind you, if he hadn't been wearing a seatbelt, it would have been an entyrely different story.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Jillian & Allison's Daddy Senior Member Don Corleone's Avatar

Actually, there's nothing all that funny about yours MM. The police didn't even apologize, they said it was regrettable. Not the same thing. It's regrettable that it rained today, but I'm not admitting fault that for the intemperate weather with that statement.

What's more, God forbid the poor guy tried to resist or defend himself. The police could have shot him.
    "A man who doesn't spend time with his family can never be a real man."
    Don Vito Corleone: The Godfather, Part 1.

"Then wait for them and swear to God in heaven that if they spew that bull to you or your family again you will cave there heads in with a sledgehammer"
    Strike for the South

When officers and the city's tactical squad went to the right unit, they said it was empty
    I'll bet it was. What with the flash grenades and kicking some poor guy in the goolies as he was sitting down for dinner, I'm sure the miscreants fled before a similar fate awaited them.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

Photos show mystery skeleton sticking out of iceberg off N.L. east coast

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...2c&k=78707&p=1
    Tara Brautigam, Canadian Press
    Published: Tuesday, June 05, 2007

ST. JOHN'S, N.L. (CP) - Marine scientists in Canada and abroad are puzzled by bizarre photographs that appear to show the skeleton of a large mammal jutting out of an iceberg that recently drifted past Newfoundland's east coast.

The six pictures show what looks like a brown rib cage and spinal column, slightly bent, sticking out of a crust of ice.

But researchers throughout Canada, Greenland and Norway are unable to determine the origin of the skeleton, said Garry Stenson, a marine mammal scientist with the federal Fisheries Department.

"It's definitely unusual," Stenson said Monday. "It's not something that I've encountered before."

His colleagues have been debating whether the carcass belongs to a bearded seal, a walrus or a beluga whale. But without the actual specimen in his hands, Stenson said he can't resolve the mystery.

"It would be really nice to get a copy, a sample, a hold of it, but at this point we're not quite sure what it is," he said.

The photos were taken near Newtown, in Bonavista Bay, by Eli and Donna Norris on the weekend of May 26, said Ruth Knee, a friend who forwarded them to the Fisheries Department in hopes of identifying the bones.

The Norris family couldn't be reached for comment Monday.

Knee said the retired couple didn't want to be interviewed, but said she could vouch for the authenticity of the photos.

"Not everybody wants their 15 minutes of fame," Knee said.

Stenson said he is fairly certain the pictures aren't a hoax.

"If it was Photoshopped, it's a damn good job," he said. "The way that it's laying there, with what looks to be part of it underwater, looks authentic."

Stenson said he was told the backbone was roughly 2.4 metres out of the ice, leading him to believe the spine belonged to a large mammalian creature.

But he is uncertain whether the animal would have fallen into a crevasse in an iceberg and then got stuck, or if it simply died on an ice floe and later became embedded by other pans of ice.

"It could be a walrus, for example, that died and is laying on its back and the pressure of the snow and the ice has flattened those ribs," he said.

The bones don't appear very weathered, and it looks like there may be tissue still attached to them. Stenson wouldn't speculate on how old they are because the ice may have preserved them for years.

The iceberg's location, or if it was still intact, weren't known Monday.

"Sometimes a lot of my mysteries never get solved," Stenson said with a sigh.

The province's coastline has been the setting of a number of strange discoveries in the past.

In July 2001, residents of St. Bernard's, in Fortune Bay, were awed by a seven-metre carcass that washed ashore. Because of its decomposed state, researchers were initially unable to determine what it was, prompting locals to nickname it "the sea monster."

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

Sounds like the scientist have a bone to pick.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Ha!.... proof at last that we are the masters of the universe!

Britain's Duke of Edinburgh may be planning a quiet birthday celebration at home this weekend, but there will be feasting and flag-waving in an isolated jungle village in the South Pacific nation of Vanuatu, where he is worshipped as a god.
    Hey Phil...get me that gyros...extra chilli paraculo!

Beat that Dubya.

The Duke is worshipped as a god.
    Dubya is a god*.
    Game, set, match.

* Everytime he opens his mouth, somebody says "Oh god..."
    This space intentionally left blank

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Pentagon confirms it planned to build "gay bomb."

The documents show the Air Force lab asked for $7.5 million to develop such a chemical weapon.

"The Ohio Air Force lab proposed that a bomb be developed that contained a chemical that would cause enemy soliders to become gay, and to have their units break down because all their soldiers became irresistably attractive to one another," Hammond said after reviwing the documents.

"The notion was that a chemical that would probably be pleasant in the human body in low quantities could be identified, and by virtue of either breathing or having their skin exposed to this chemical, the notion was that soliders would become gay," explained Hammond.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Are you sure they didn't just post a belated April fool's story
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

The first gay bomb was dropped in WW2 by the Enola Gay, wasn't it?

Now suppose a militant group of gays got hold of the gay bomb and dropped it on Washington DC and the state capitals? All legislation would go straight to gay biased. One has to wonder, with the threat of gay terrorism, would the population and our government be tough enough to take it like a man?

Oh, I could scratch your eyes out....you......you bitch!

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Couldn't make this one up, the dutch anti smoking lobby has options in..........................guess what.

Yes, phillip morris

LOL! Even better, Novib (anti poverty mafia) is into clusterbombs ^^
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-11-2007 at 11:20.

The Thai police have really screwed the pooch on this one.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony
    Couldn't make this one up, the dutch anti smoking lobby has options in..........................guess what.

Yes, phillip morris
    Are they called the Dutch Masters?

Quote Originally Posted by Banquo's Ghost
    The Thai police have really screwed the pooch on this one.
    Excellent link title!

The Thai police are running a Mok. It is really bad when, as police officers, you know urine trouble with the law. Rimshot.

Nice to see that the police dog was on the case.

Dogged leg work is essential to a good police force.

How did this story get leaked to the press?

Maybe they needed a leg up?

Maybe they needed a leg up?
    Indeed. The press hounds always want to know the poop. If there is a leak anywhere, they'll sniff it out.

I'd accuse Greg of moonlighting for the Times-Republican on this story but the puns, whilst valiant, are not up to his standard.

Iowan woman, name of Butts, facing two years' imprisonment for stealing loo rolls.

Charmin'.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Toilet paper bandit could face three years in prison

By KEN BLACK

It’s not quite 25 to life, but stealing toilet paper from the Marshall County Courthouse could prove costly for one Marshall County resident.

A woman was discovered taking toilet paper from the courthouse Monday, according to police reports, something she has apparently been adept at doing for a quite a while.

No one could remember exactly when, but toilet paper started disappearing at “unusually high rates,” even for county employees, said a source close to the problem. In other words, something didn’t smell quite right.

It had long ago been suspected that the problem was more than just overactive bowels, but no one could quite prove it. That is, until the culprit was caught red-handed by authorities.

“A courthouse employee saw her walk from a storeroom carrying a bag of toilet paper,” said Marshalltown Police Chief Lon Walker.

The woman allegedly involved in the situation, Suzanne Marie Butts, has been referred to as the toilet paper bandit by some county employees.

Though she apparently has a concern for hygiene, she may find herself in a messy situation.

Because of prior convictions, Butts faces up to two years in prison — for three rolls of toilet paper. Despite what some may consider a harsh penalty, Supervisor Gordie Johnson was not sympathetic.

“We have three strikes and you’re out and I consider each roll of toilet paper a strike,” he said, tongue in cheek.

Butts has prior theft convictions, as well as several other theft charges which are pending.
    Albert Camus "Noces"

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    Are they called the Dutch Masters?
    Surprised you didn't go for 'daisy cutters' with that peace-movement I mentioned. hehe, hypocrites.

I'd accuse Greg of moonlighting for the Times-Republican on this story but the puns, whilst valiant, are not up to his standard.

Iowan woman, name of Butts, facing two years' imprisonment for stealing loo rolls.

Charmin'.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Toilet paper bandit could face three years in prison

By KEN BLACK

It’s not quite 25 to life, but stealing toilet paper from the Marshall County Courthouse could prove costly for one Marshall County resident.

A woman was discovered taking toilet paper from the courthouse Monday, according to police reports, something she has apparently been adept at doing for a quite a while.

No one could remember exactly when, but toilet paper started disappearing at “unusually high rates,” even for county employees, said a source close to the problem. In other words, something didn’t smell quite right.

It had long ago been suspected that the problem was more than just overactive bowels, but no one could quite prove it. That is, until the culprit was caught red-handed by authorities.

“A courthouse employee saw her walk from a storeroom carrying a bag of toilet paper,” said Marshalltown Police Chief Lon Walker.

The woman allegedly involved in the situation, Suzanne Marie Butts, has been referred to as the toilet paper bandit by some county employees.

Though she apparently has a concern for hygiene, she may find herself in a messy situation.

Because of prior convictions, Butts faces up to two years in prison — for three rolls of toilet paper. Despite what some may consider a harsh penalty, Supervisor Gordie Johnson was not sympathetic.

“We have three strikes and you’re out and I consider each roll of toilet paper a strike,” he said, tongue in cheek.

Butts has prior theft convictions, as well as several other theft charges which are pending.
    This is a smear campaign directed at the poor woman. I hope she wipes the floor with her accusers. An obvious tissue of lies against this Butt. She should be allowed to flush those out and not keep taking the wrong end of the stick.

There, is that better?

Senior Member Senior Member English assassin's Avatar

Its official: Modern art is NOT merde

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle1917969.ece

When the Italian artist Piero Manzoni put his excrement into tin cans in the early 1960s and offered it as art, he said that he was exposing “the gullibility of the art-buying public”.

Collectors and galleries that paid high prices for the tins — including the Tate — appeared even more gullible yesterday when it emerged that they contained not faeces, but plaster

Agostino Bonalumi, who worked closely with Manzoni, recalled yesterday that he, Manzoni and a third young artist, Enrico Castellani, had rebelled against traditional art forms but had found no takers in Milan for their ideas.

“Piero said, ‘All these Milanese bourgeois bastards want is c***,’ ”
    "The only thing I've gotten out of this thread is that Navaros is claiming that Satan gave Man meat. Awesome." Gorebag

I'd accuse Greg of moonlighting for the Times-Republican...
    I only wish I could make some money with my puns.

As to the story, if toilet paper was not meant to be ripped off, then why is it perforated? Aside from that, isn't toilet paper made for Butts? She had every right to take it. If Marshall County was really concerned about the missing toilet paper, they would have taken roll call every day (bidet?).

Pull the chain, I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by Gregoshi
    I only wish I could make some money with my puns.

Then you'd be flush....
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Yeah, but then I'd have to have my money laundered.

Page 13 of 236 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast