Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Htw Spin-off Mod - Ancient: TW

Default Engagement Threshhold?

I see this unit characteristic in Gnome Editor and in it I see the numbers 1500 and 2000. What does all this mean? I'll guess that the overall category refers to a unit's willingness to mix it up in combat, but by all means correct me if I'm wrong. I'll also hazard another guess to say that units with the number 1500 in this slot are more willing to fight than units with the number 2000; am I right or wrong on this one? Please correct any delusions from which I may be suffering.

Default A Shipbuilding Program For Carthage

You might have noticed that when I posted about creating a super naval unit I was thinking largely about the Carthaginians in your Punic War scenario. I played Carthage in the RTW campaign(for which I first had to download and use an unlocker)and a big thing from the beginning was gaining naval supremacy to keep the parts of my territory from becoming isolated and to aid in the battle to control Sicily. In RTW I was able to build units in bunches to help me realize my scenario goals. MTW won't allow me the same luxury so I have to substitute quality for quantity when it comes to unit production. Your version of this conflict requires control of the Med in order to be successful for a maritime power like Carthage the same as the RTW campaign does so that is why I want to create a super naval unit for Carthage. This faction is not in a position to successfully execute a strictly land-based strategy(which faction in this scenario really is?), hence, the attention on an effective shipbuilding program is key to gaining control of the Inner Sea. For the Persians in Alex they only need to have the Hellespont crossing working properly(which I naturally hope will be fixed soon).

Second-hand chariot salesman Senior Member macsen rufus's Avatar

Default Re: Htw Spin-off Mod - Ancient: TW

The "engagement threshold" is actually a distance (same units as missile range, IIRC) at which the unit decides to weigh in to melee if an enemy unit comes closer than that. Obviously the larger the threshold, the more likely the unit is to decide to make a charge at the enemy (ie it will run further to get to them!). This is a more significant figure for impetuous units, as they're more likely to 'go off on one' anyway It's not something I've actively fiddled with, to be honest.

As for the Carthaginian units, I've deliberately made most of them a bit weak as very few Carthaginians actually fought on land - most citizens who partook in any actual fighting were in the fleets, and the land battles were mostly conducted using mercenaries or allies, at least until Zama when the Phoenicians actually fielded a fair number of militia and cavalry. My 'vision' for the Carthaginian strategy was to control enough territory to be able to raise plenty of Iberian, Numidian and Gallic units, and just keep the Carthaginian units (eg militia) for garrison duties. RTW notwithstanding, Carthaginian infantry really weren't very impressive.

Mind, you, now that I'm putting the Roman Wars package together I'll probably have bit of an overhaul, as I can rename a lot of the units (eg 'Meshwesh spears' is really a name appropriate to 1200BC.... they should become Liby-Phoenicians for this era etc)
    ANCIENT: TW

A mod for Medieval:TW (with VI)

Discussion forum thread

Download A Game of Thrones Mod v1.4

Default Almost Nude Carthaginian Elephant Drivers

I think the term "scantily clad" applies very well here. I did a custom battle featuring Carthaginian elephant units and I wasn't too pleased to see the drivers depicted in an almost nude state. I must sound like a prude, but geez, macsen rufus!! Couldn't you have put some more clothing on them? I like my armies to be well-dressed whenever possible and this goes really far away from that notion.

The animations all (most...) come from HTW, the only things I've done with them are add some extra shields and weapons. Them's the elephants I have, them's the elephants I use

Discussion forum thread

I'm downloading this and doing a fresh install, so I'll be able to give it a try.

Default The Most Dedicated Modder I Know

That would be you, macsen rufus. ATW must have more content than any other TW mod out there. I look at the number of folders and subfolders I have for this mod and the whole thing just goes on and on. Of course the way that I reinstalled it over Hellenic TW probably contributed something to that total. Anyway, I now wonder when you will have another campaign for us. Will that be anytime soon?

The next release will probably be the TW3 - "Roman Wars" package once I get the Britannia campaign sorted, and add a few new tweaks to Punic. Britannia's still behaving oddly, and there are consequences of having so many factions on such a small map. It's not easy getting the Romans right, simply because anything challenging for a human player is just downright impossible for the AI, or alternatively anything which allows the Roman AI to do as it should makes it way too easy for a human player. They really don't get the idea about "We're here to invade Britain", though that has improved with the recent tweaks, and they have also managed to recreate the Battle of Medway on a couple of occasions, beating Caratacus out of Essex. However, they are really really bad at defending the Rhine, and on a couple of runs through have been totally hamstrung by Germanic incursions. Things are a lot more fun in Ireland though, both Irish factions are working out well

Anyway, keep an eye of the TW3 thread for updates on this one

And Hi, JoesGeo, good to have you on board
    Last edited by macsen rufus; 03-10-2008 at 10:30.

Discussion forum thread

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Great mod!
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I seem to be having a problem downloading the ATW file, for one its taking way much longer to download then it should (sometimes it says 6 hrs until completion) and usually it cuts off the download partway through leaving me with a bad file which I have to delete.

Hi Sigma, where are you getting it from? It's up on MyDataBus (which I can check) and also the Org Mizus server (which I can't...)

Discussion forum thread

I'm downloading it from the download page so I guess its the databus one...

Maybe try the link in Tosa's post instead (also in the downloads thread), see if that's any better. Just checked on MyDataBus, but I'm only at 8% daily bandwidth usage, so it's not congestion on my account...

Discussion forum thread

Hmm, I'll wait a little while, the download is still timing out halfway through the download, so maybe its just a minor error and they will have it fixed soon...

I'm playing ancinet tw. punic war mod with cartaga :) . I conquer sicily, spain and start on Italian peninsula from Bruttium. and now working on elephant merchant and then invade Rome like Hannibal :)... it is my first try. it has so many different unit and buildings so I'l try to get used them. but as always first ships and money then the army.
    at night ı finished the game but with not conquring al provinces or Rome, just with classical %60 domination. mmm is there a problam in my game, or it is normal?
    ı lood at text file and years are as ı sea
    britain 43- 43 ad
    the age of chariots 1280 bc as -ad 125
    the catrastrope 1200 bc as - ad 200
    alexander 336 bc as - ad 364
    the recovery 980 bc as - ad 420
    and punic wars 270 bc as - ad 430.
    at first ı suprised when the game start with different age but then ı control respondind txt file and it is as ı see. so ı guess my game is normal, is not it?
    and the wiev of victory
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenShot001.jpg 
Views:	296 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	8585
    Last edited by ferdi; 02-17-2013 at 03:44.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ferdi View Post
    I'm playing ancinet tw. punic war mod with cartaga :) . I conquer sicily, spain and start on Italian peninsula from Bruttium. and now working on elephant merchant and then invade Rome like Hannibal :)... it is my first try. it has so many different unit and buildings so I'l try to get used them. but as always first ships and money then the army.
    at night ı finished the game but with not conquring al provinces or Rome, just with classical %60 domination. mmm is there a problam in my game, or it is normal?
    ı lood at text file and years are as ı sea
    britain 43- 43 ad
    the age of chariots 1280 bc as -ad 125
    the catrastrope 1200 bc as - ad 200
    alexander 336 bc as - ad 364
    the recovery 980 bc as - ad 420
    and punic wars 270 bc as - ad 430.
    at first ı suprised when the game start with different age but then ı control respondind txt file and it is as ı see. so ı guess my game is normal, is not it?
    and the wiev of victory
    Hi ferdi,

Yes that's normal. Unfortunately, MTW's engine doesn't have the ability to give proper winning conditions.
    Ideally, the winning condition for Carthage would be control of Rome, but that's just not possible with the code.

Cheers!
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021