Thread: Conquering the entire world?

Default Conquering the entire world?

On RTW I am playing as the Greek Cities on hard/v.hard and I have conquered nearly all the map. My official regions count is currently 87 or 88 and I am laying siege to 3 or 4 more at the minute.

My question is, what happens when you conquer the whole map (about 100 regions I would guess)? And also, what happens when there is no more factions left, only rebels (I am unsure whther to take Ireland)?

Also, I am normally losing money every 3rd turn or so, even though I own over 85 regions, my army is huge I would guess maybe 20 full legions, but still surely I should be getting huge cash sums every turn?

One more problem: I was betrayed by Carthage so I wiped them out. Then the city under Carthage (Thapsus?) rebelled when it was on 70% and the first turn it went back to Carthage?!?! They got a full strength (20 unit) force in the city, including elephants, heavy infantry and heavy cavalry... how did that happen!? A couple of turns before it said "faction destroyed: Carthage"

Default Re: Conquering the entire world?

I'm not sure why but some dead factions can come back during rebellions. It's happened to me before.

You should be able to see your expenses, so check that out as to why you're losing money.

And, if you're playing vanilla, you win only if you conquer Rome. Not much else happens.

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

RTW doesn't have faction reemergences.

And there's a victory message for all factions, not just the Romans, when you've conquered 50 settlements including Rome.

I don't know what happens if you conquer the entire map, I never played to that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring
    RTW doesn't have faction reemergences.

It does. Carthage came back to life. It had one family member, I killed him in battle and I though that would be the end of them. But they continue to stay alive from the dead. Also they dont take bribes which is unusual, I cant beat their army because all my forces are in the north-eastern corner so I am just packing it with spies and hoping it rebels making it easier to take.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

Are you sure it went back to Carthage? And not Carthaginian rebels?
    As for the rest, you're losing money because of your army.
    And, when you conquer the whole map, there's a second victory animation (or pic, can't remember) that shows. Then, I don't think you can keep on playing.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

Thanks for the answers! Does it matter if its only me and rebels left playing, I have got 4 more regions to take and 1 is rebels, so if I take the other 3 non-rebel regions will it stop playing?

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 13th-Caesar
    It does. Carthage came back to life. It had one family member, I killed him in battle and I though that would be the end of them. But they continue to stay alive from the dead. Also they dont take bribes which is unusual, I cant beat their army because all my forces are in the north-eastern corner so I am just packing it with spies and hoping it rebels making it easier to take.
    When a faction is totally destroyed (they either run out of family members or settlements) you'll get a "faction destroyed" notification. They'll never return after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenring
    When a faction is totally destroyed (they either run out of family members or settlements) you'll get a "faction destroyed" notification.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    They'll never return after that

Sorry, but they do. This happened with me and Carthage.

When you complete the game (woo!) it comes up with "Victory! You have conquered from sunrise to sunset. Frmo the icy seas to the scorching deserts" return to main menu. It took me until 210 summer bc.

Come to daddy Member Geoffrey S's Avatar

It would be nice if you could back up your claims of Carthage returning. Cities rebelling to the rebel faction (with region-specific units) is a perfectly frequent occurance; a faction re-emerging is impossible under RTW.
    "The facts of history cannot be purely objective, since they become facts of history only in virtue of the significance attached to them by the historian." E.H. Carr

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey S
    It would be nice if you could back up your claims of Carthage returning. Cities rebelling to the rebel faction (with region-specific units) is a perfectly frequent occurance; a faction re-emerging is impossible under RTW.

Do you know this for sure? Because it said Carthage came back and on the map instead of the rebel grey colour it had Carthagian white. Also it said

Greek Cities Allies:
    Enemies: Carthage, Britannia, Scythia

Carthage Enemies: Greek Cities

Yet three or four turns earlier it siad Faction Destroyed: Carthage.

Did it say faction destroyed then they came back to life?

The RTW engine does not support faction re-emergance.

They probably had a settlement & family member hid somewere.

Quote Originally Posted by Rilder

The RTW engine does not support faction re-emergance.

Lol I have got a dodgy game (curse you Tesco's!)

Centurion, 13th Legion. Member Vorenus's Avatar

Wow, either thats a glitch or your seeing things... whichever one its still cool.

Beauty hunter Senior Member Raz's Avatar

Most Carthaginian troops have the ability - Expert at hiding in sand. Look closer and you'll see... ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by drone
    I imagine an open-source project to recreate [Medieval: Total War] would be faced with an army of high-valour lawyers.

Live your life out on Earth; I'm going to join the Sun.

RTW V1.5 & BI V1.6 Member Severous's Avatar

Well done to all that have captured the whole RTW world. Hats off to you. And by 210BC...thats quick.

Ive never seen a faction re-emerge. But then I have not played beyond 50 regions and victory. Who knows what little bug might be present. The original didnt allow us to go beyond 50 regions. A patch has provided that ability. Maybe they missed a detail in the patch. Doesnt seem very likely though.

What struck a chord in this thread..was an event occuring for a faction thats been destroyed....years after its been destroyed. (V1.5) I had a political message coming up saying an alliance had been broken...yet one of the factions involved had been eliminated. Theres a little bug there somewhere...perhaps the same/similar bug that triggers a re-emergence?
    Regards
    (RTW Eras: RTW V1.5 and BI V1.6 No Mods)

Currently writing a Scipii AAR (with pictures)
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=91877

Barbarian Invasion. Franks hold out against the world.
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=77526

In the two years since I've started playing RTW, I've must have conquered the world about five times. Three as the Julii, one as the Seleucids and once as the Greek Commonwealth, and almost managed it with the Parthians (Persian infantry are sooo useless). I think only certain factions have the potential infrastructure to properly govern such a huge land area.

I too have seen either Carthage or Thapsus rebel and end up with full, 20-stack unit army. However, I do believe they were listed as Carthagenian Rebels.

Conquer the whole world? Haven't done so yet. By the time I hit the victory conditions for the current campaign, I'm ready to start over as a different faction in some other part of the world.

Post Re: Conquering the entire world?

Hi,
    I've seen something similar to the re-emergence problem too yet it was lesser a re-emergence and more a "return of the dead General" rebellion scenario. The last of the Numidian forces were destroyed in the Sahara province along with their famously annoying and immortal leader - Syphax!

About five turns later the face on the settlement scroll turned to a deep, ugly shade of bright red. The following turn rebellion struck followed by a civil revolt. My garrison force, consisting of two peasant units, was removed by the foes so I was forced to use my first stack of post-Marian cohorts that were awaiting orders at Carthage. Once I arrived and attacked the settlement I had a nasty shock. Within the city stood Syphax - restored to his glory after his death - he even had the same portrait! Of course this time I made sure that I killed him, and his supporters, in the most inglorious of fashions so he could never return.

A real emergence from a "real" faction is something I am yet to see in Rome: Total War. I do not think that this is possible, like others have stated already in this thread, however it may be possible through a small level of modification, yet I cannot be sure. My tiny knowledge of R:TW modding does not stretch too far.

Global conquest is another thing which I have not done as of yet. I have either got rather tired of my battles and repetitive tactics or have found it a little dull beyond the point of owning fifty provinces - the money flow was just amazingly high which sort of ruined it for me - I prefer to have little or no money coming in and be forced to survive rather than having so much money that battle loss does not matter - I can have another better army ready within four turns once I get to a certain stage.

Hope this helps you, cheers!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

I find that once you're at around 50-60 provinces there's not much opposition and challenge as you can basically cart around 20-unit armies and auto-resolve every battle with assurance that you can win. Usually by that time it gets so monotonous I just stop playing and start a new campaign. Anyone agree?

Post Re: Conquering the entire world?

I most certainly do agree with you there OliverWKim! Unfortunately, that is one of the issues which I find with R:TW. The sad truth appear to be that after you have a certain number of provinces, about forty-fifty, or sometimes even less if they are wealthy provinces, it's simply plain sailing with nothing to stop your world domination. However some of the greatest mods do seem to resolve this - in EB I have never had this problem due to higher troop up-keep. It seems to make it harder to field larger armies - even with a very wealthy empire.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 04-17-2007 at 18:20.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed