Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Faction List Discussion

Default Re: Faction List Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by King Orko
    Europa universalis got too many nations I remind you, each nation of the world that times is in the game
    There is no such thing as too many possibilities. It makes me sick that the likes of Ireland has been summed up into one rebel city, instead of Leinster, Munster, Tyrone, etc.

The Holy Roman Empire is supposed to be MANY nations, with an emperor governing them and generally disciplining them as well. I dont see Burgandy anywhere, which just pisses me off, considering that they were fairly large by 1450.

Speaking of idiotic design decisions, has anyone noticed that you can play as spain? Spain, people. Spain didnt exist, as far as I know. Aragon and Castille existed, but not Spain.

Also, Morocco, Tunesia, Tripoli, Algiers, should all be playable factions.

Lets see here... The Mongols are a decent addition, but they should be a standard faction, and playable. Speaking of which, the map should be extended to Japan at the very least, and include areas such as Timbuktu.

This game just sucks, man. The only thing worth playing it for are the battles, and the worst AI ever created ruins that.

All I can do is wait and whine until MTR comes out, I suppose. RTR was pretty good, and this should be even better, provided that it doesnt get screwed up with this nonsense of "Gameplay". Ugh. Fricken gamers.

@Kruniac:
    If you put it that way, every state should be a playable faction. And I agree, but it's just not possible... And extending the map all the way to Japan is WAAAY too much man, well beyond the Caspian Sea is far enough.
    I need scissors! 61!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kruniac
    There is no such thing as too many possibilities. It makes me sick that the likes of Ireland has been summed up into one rebel city, instead of Leinster, Munster, Tyrone, etc.

The Holy Roman Empire is supposed to be MANY nations, with an emperor governing them and generally disciplining them as well. I dont see Burgandy anywhere, which just pisses me off, considering that they were fairly large by 1450.

Speaking of idiotic design decisions, has anyone noticed that you can play as spain? Spain, people. Spain didnt exist, as far as I know. Aragon and Castille existed, but not Spain.

Lets see here... The Mongols are a decent addition, but they should be a standard faction, and playable. Speaking of which, the map should be extended to Japan at the very least, and include areas such as Timbuktu.

This game just sucks, man. The only thing worth playing it for are the battles, and the worst AI ever created ruins that.

All I can do is wait and whine until MTR comes out, I suppose. RTR was pretty good, and this should be even better, provided that it doesnt get screwed up with this nonsense of "Gameplay". Ugh. Fricken gamers.
    I must to dissagree with you, the game is great, it might lost some of the magic in MTW but it is steel great, it will be more wirh patches and expansions(I hope that more than one). it is immpossible to extand the map so large. the game focuses not only the world in medieval times, but just Europe and the mid east, which create the "classic" medieval with the castles, crusades and knights.

Are the Ottomans going to be made to be incredibly abitious becuse if not then then really should be playable as look how much they did, destroyed the last bits of the Roman Empire in the east, took over a fair portion of the Middle East and the Balkans and werent stopped until the reached I think it was Vienna, and then lasted pretty for a hell of a along time, not even loosing the Middle East until the first world war

It would be really unfair,to make Balkan nations as non playable factions.Serbia,Bulgaria,Croatia have a great medieval history.They were fighting among themselves for a long time and also against much stronger factions like Hungary and Byzantine Empire..In the middle of 14th century beginns a great battle against Ottoman Empire,which lasted more then hundred years,when eventually in the end of 15 the century most of the Balkans fell into hands of Ottomans.I am from Serbia,and I would like to see my nation in the game,but also my other Balkan nations.

protector of Taxandria Member Marcus Furius Camillus's Avatar

And again , no little semi - independent factions like Flanders
    -Once killing starts, it is difficult to draw the line

- C. Cornelius Tacitus

Quote Originally Posted by Kruniac

You sound like a disgruntled baby. We get it, you don't like the game, chill out brother!

You have to realize that when CA made this game, they were aiming to make a profit. By making the game confusing and superfilious (not for us fans of history, but to normal people) with factions like tunis, algiers, navarre, georgia, etc, the game would lose its appeal. Plus, breaking Spain into Navarre, Aragon, and Castille would have been a pain to make specialty units for each, not to mention it would take away room for other factions as well.

timbuktu is in the game, you just have to look :x

The only reason I can give for CA neglecting to put more emphasis on the Balkans is probably b/c

1. they're from England, therefore their concentration would deffinitely be geared more towards western europe out of unintentioned bias
    2. when it comes to western mass media (UK, USA, etc), the balkans are neglected, and that is a fact, not an opinion. I live in the United States, and I can guarantee that the average person walking in the street couldn't tell you the difference between a Magyard and a Serb. UK tries appealling to western audiences, so therefore it will have a western slant in its product.

CA tries to be as historically accurate as possible, while maintaing its appeal to consumers. Thats what I guess anyway.
    Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are.

-Niccolo Machievelli

Experimental Archaeologist Member Russ Mitchell's Avatar

Very much so. The English are historically weak on anything resembling East-Central and Southeastern european history. And what there is in print on the subject contains numerous egregious errors. (I am a practicing medieval historian.)
    Ngata tsukelan mokwisipiak!

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Mitchell
    Very much so. The English are historically weak on anything resembling East-Central and Southeastern european history. And what there is in print on the subject contains numerous egregious errors. (I am a practicing medieval historian.)

I see you are based out of Texas. Can I assume you're studying there, and if so, what university?
    Men judge generally more by the eye than by the hand, for everyone can see and few can feel. Every one sees what you appear to be, few really know what you are.

-Niccolo Machievelli

I am not sure if the map for this mod includes South-central Africa like vanilla does but I have always wondered why there was never a Mali Faction made into it.

Experimental Archaeologist Member Russ Mitchell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PuppetMaster
    I see you are based out of Texas. Can I assume you're studying there, and if so, what university?
    Need to read a little closer, PM: I'm an instructor, not a student.

I teach history at MountainView College in the DFW area, and am a medieval military historian. Trust me: what I thought I learned about Central European history in the English-language historiography prior to going there for graduate studies is a pathetic joke compared to what is actually known. We are not even aware of basic information that is considered undergraduate material in the region, and frequently refer to the region without bothering to consult any of these nations' actual historiography, instead relying on hopelessly-outdated monographs in french or german.
    Ngata tsukelan mokwisipiak!

Celtic Cataphracts!!!! Member The Celt's Avatar

I teach history at MountainView College in the DFW area, and am a medieval military historian. Trust me: what I thought I learned about Central European history in the English-language historiography prior to going there for graduate studies is a pathetic joke compared to what is actually known. We are not even aware of basic information that is considered undergraduate material in the region, and frequently refer to the region without bothering to consult any of these nations' actual historiography, instead relying on hopelessly-outdated monographs in french or german.
    DFW area!? Holy crap I may be one of your students someday!(Not sure if I'll get in to MountainView, how high are their standards?)
    As to the current topic. Does anyone notice that, outside of the recent Kingdom of Heaven movie, the Western mass media when concerning the Middle Ages pretty much focuses almost solely on England? I have, and, after doing some reading on this era, I have come to the conclusion that England didn't mean squat to Eastern powers such as Lithuania, Poland, Byzantium(excluding the Saxons who fled after Hastings)etc. Stuff like "Braveheart" seem pretty small scale when compared to the great Northern wars.
    Achtungaz!!! You vill all zavmit to zeh Svveboz!!!!

Currently rising to power as:

Now is Armenian kingdom of Cilicia presented in this mod or what? If not, then you should reconsider ^^

Horse Archer Senior Member Sarmatian's Avatar

It's a good thing you're American. If you were from Central and Southeastern Europe you would be called a revisionist and nationalist after such claim...

you´re absolutely right that most of the americans dont know the difference between the balcan nations, but more then a half of those americans would also say that europe is the capital of nebraska or something like that.
    some mods mind historical facts, others do not.

croatia is a independant kingdom untill 1102 (personal union with hungary)
    serbia is a independant kingdom untill 1389 (epic battle of kosovo polje)

greetings from lijepa nasa to my serbian brothers !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12