Thread: Ideas for a holiday in Ireland

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Ideas for a holiday in Ireland

It's very likely I'll add the Irish flag to my collection in my sig of places where I've been or lived as my girlfriend and I are planning to go on a vacation to Ireland.

I've gone through some leaflets of the Irish service of tourism but so far there's nothing that really catches my eye (it could have something to do with the leaflet itself).
    My GF and I are both 23 and are quite active (no beach holiday for us). So we're looking for a good mix between sightseeing (cultural/historical/amusement) and activities. We'll probably be staying in youth hostels and have no problem with moving around as long as it doesn't become trip through Ireland (as least a few days in every place).

I know some on the .Org are Irish and others have visited Ireland. If any of you have some great ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Tree Killer Senior Member Beirut's Avatar

Default Re: Ideas for a holiday in Ireland

Visit the Bushmills distillery.
    Unto each good man a good dog

Default AW: Ideas for a holiday in Ireland

I'm not Irish, but have a suggestion or two:

(1) Get yerself som stout.
    (2) Go to 1 again ;)
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

My GF and I are both 23 and are quite active (no beach holiday for us)
    no beach holiday
    We have some of the best waves in Europe

Anyhow , for "activities" can you be more specific , you can get most ...well apart from skiing and camel trekking .

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

1.Drink
    2.Repeat

and so on etc.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Tribesman
    no beach holiday

Anyhow , for "activities" can you be more specific , you can get most ...well apart from skiing and camel trekking .

There are surfers in Ireland?
    Still maintain that crying on the pitch should warrant a 3 match ban

Blog Entries

no beach holiday
    By no beach holiday, I meant that a whole vacation tanning on some beach or pool just isn't for us. I would love to go surfing (I have windsurfed once) or another water activity but just not the whole two weeks. Are there other things us toerists can do on the Irish beaches and sea?

What, no camel riding? As a fellow orgah I'm disgusted.
    As for activities: things that are typical for Ireland like road bowling (apparently quite similar to the Dutch klootschieten) or just great fun.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

By no beach holiday, I meant that a whole vacation tanning on some beach or pool just isn't for us.
    Well tanning on the beach might be a problem due to it being Ireland and it having that thing called Irish weather .

I would love to go surfing (I have windsurfed once) or another water activity but just not the whole two weeks. Are there other things us toerists can do on the Irish beaches and sea?
    You name it they got it , surfing wind/kite surfing ,sailing , scuba , land yachting, beach riding (horses not camels) , cliff diving , swimming with dolphins.....
    Try the irish tourist board website ,apparently they are really pushing the "activity/adventure" side for visitors this year , rather than the come to Ireland it has lots of pubs side of things .
    http://www.ireland.ie/Result/Activit...y=1&thisPage=1
    BTW road bowling is mainly confined to the South West .
    One thing though , Dublin , its just an expensive smaller version of London with a different accent , but without as many attractions or a decent transport system .

We'll probably be staying in youth hostels
    Good choice .

There are surfers in Ireland?
    Where theres a wave theres a........
    Last edited by Tribesman; 05-03-2007 at 01:03.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

I did a one month backpacker Ireland trip a couple of years ago. Stayed in hostels, took the bus to get to next town and travelled clockwise through Ireland.

I can't help you on activities but if it's the country you'd like to see simply do as I did. The most rewarding activity to do in Ireland would be hiking/cycling anyway. After an initial stay in Dublin (including a trip to Drogheda/Monasterboice - quite an adventure without a car...) of 3 days we went to the wicklow mountains, which would make a very nice hiking ground. Make sure to find some local guide, go see Glendalough and have the guy show you Lough Tay (http://www.flickr.com/photos/fryd/22...7594244365990/from the proper spot. If you want people and a good tourist infrastructure around, then go to Killarney and Ring of Kerry, if you want quieter spots go to the Ring of Beara just next to it. Good hiking opportunities there also.

Dingle is nice too, good for cycling, the Doolin/Cliffs of Moher area should not be missed, Galway is a very nice city too. Good pubs there and nice people.

The place I liked the most was Donegal and the village of Glencolumbcille (sp?). Very old, very small and very lovely. Go and climb the Sliabh Liag (http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Ca...gue?uselang=de) while you're there.

Finally I went to Eniskillen and Armagh (not much to see in both but the countryside is nice) and another beach town (for recovery) I forgot the name of, and then back to Dublin.

I'd say this is quite a good tour to get a good impression of this beautiful island.

Make sure to bring some money. I was surprised how expensive everything is. I think Ireland is one of the most expensive countries in the EC (~25% higher prices than in Germany).

Good luck.

Blog Entries

Thanks I of the storm, I was afraid no one else would post.

Misanthropos Member I of the Storm's Avatar

You're welcome. Have fun!