Thread: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Europa Barbarorum FAQ

I General
    What is Europa Barbarorum?
    What is the principle scope and focus for EB from an organizational standpoint?
    Is your mod all about barbarians?
    Then why do you call yourselves "Europa Barbarorum?"
    Who all works on EB and who does what?
    Do you have a homepage?
    Where can I download Europa Barbarorum?
    Which is the current version of EB?
    How do I install EB?
    I have RTW gold edition. Does this work with EB?
    Will you be moving to/supporting BI?
    Where can i find the old EB Faction Previews?
    Will I be able to mod EB, such as inserting my own skins?
    Considering the breadth of the mod, is EB going to produce a detailed (more akin to a manual than a readme) supporting text document?
    What is this language mod I've been hearing about?
    I have modding skills and I want to help you guys. who should I talk to?
    May I use material from EB for my own mod?
    II Historic
    I've never heard of unit/faction/name X. I can't find it online. Where did you find it?
    Why are the Gauls called Aedui / Arverni and the Germans called Sweboz?
    What are mnai?
    Why did you add so many provinces to area X, which was of lesser importance?
    I think you should have more provinces in densely populated areas, why didn't you do this?
    Why does faction X have province Y? Why doesn't faction X have province Z?
    Where is the Lorica Segmentata?
    Where are the "Imitation Legionaries"?
    Why doesn't Koinon Hellenon's hoplites use the phalanx formation.
    Why can't I build ships in my ports?
    Why can't I build any ships in the Caspian area?
    III Bugs
    I have had a CTD (crash to desktop), what do I do?
    After i unistalled RTW, i can't get it to reinstall again, what can i do?
    I loaded a game in EB and all of my Government buildings have been destroyed (all red). What happened?
    Why does EB run so slow?
    EB freezes on the initial load screen.
    IV Gameplay
    What is the "campaign script" and how do I load it?
    What is the date range of EB?
    As the Romans, why can't I build factional MICs in X area.
    What does MIC mean?
    Which factions have reforms, and when do they take place?
    I just got reforms but I didn't get new units.
    Which is the recommend difficult setting for Europa Barbarorum?
    Do you have improved the AI in any way?
    Have you changed the distribution of wealth any?
    Why do I always go into debt in the first few turns of playing EB?
    How does the new recruitment system work?
    What is the difference between regional and factional MICs?
    Where should I put Type1&2 and where should I put Type3&4?
    Are 0-turn buildtimes for certain units being considered?
    Will you be changing the campaign victory conditions?
    How to gain long lasting peace or alliances in EB/RTW.
    How to fight Gesetae, and why are they so damn tough?
    Why are slingers so strong?
    Will certain rebels, in places like Numidia, Illyria, India etc. be much stronger than others to represent the left out factions?
    Why can't I recruit any units in X area?
    Can I reach Terhazza/Sahara?
    In custom battles or multiplayer the unit selection is missing units.
    Why is the map funny on the south end of Greece?

I General

Q: What is Europa Barbarorum?
    A: Europa Barbarorum is a total convertion for Rome: Total War, that tries to make the most historically accurate mod within the borders of the hardcoded limits.

Q: What do you see as the principle scope and focus for EB from an organizational standpoint?
    A: This is somewhat difficult to answer. As an organization, EB is dedicated to providing an entertaining, historically accurate gaming experience. Inside of EB are numerous divisions; one for each faction, for the economic system, for the naval system, for siege warfare, for music, for voices, for the map, and so on. We divide the work among our members as best as possible, to try and ensure coverage over every aspect of RTW. I suppose the most concise answer would be: Our primary focus is to research every aspect of RTW to determine if we can improve it in terms of historical accuracy, realism, and gameplay, and to implement what we have found into a complete package for your gaming pleasure.

Q: Is your mod all about barbarians?
    A: No, our mod seeks to recreate, as accurately as possible, the classical world as depicted within R:TW at the time of campaign start. This includes all factions, and we have modders working on every area.

Q: Then why do you call yourselves "Europa Barbarorum?"
    A: The project was born a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, when the thought was that the team could provide as much historical information as possible to help CA portray the barbarian factions as more than just a bunch of drooling, naked neanderthals. When it seemed clear that CA wasn't accepting outside help, the team became determined to turn this research into a mod. The purpose of the mod expanded to include accuracy for all factions, but the name has become part of our identity.

Q: Who all works on EB and who does what?
    A: See the current "EB - New Workgroups and Members list" thread.

Q: Do you have a Homepage?
    A: Yes, www.europabarbarorum.org, there you find lots of information about the different factions of Europa Barbarorum, Wallpapers and the downloads

Q: Where can I download Europa Barbarorum?
    A: You find the Europa Barbarorum download, if you follow this link.

Q: Which is the current version of EB?
    A: The current version of EB is "v1.2". It requires that you install EB 1.1 first, then patch it up.

Q: How do I install EB?
    A: Follow this guide: A guide to install EB, screenshots provided

Q: I have RTW gold edition. Does this work with EB?
    A: Yes

Q: Will you be moving to/supporting BI?
    A: No, EB is still an RTW project, and will be released for RTW 1.5. It is easy to play EB on BI (v1.6). Here is a guide on how to make EB work with BI, but this is not supported by the EB team.

Q: Where can i find the old EB Faction Previews?
    A: You can find all of the "Countdown to open Beta..." and following Previews ones in this thread:
    All the previews in one thread!
    For older Previews you can look into this one
    The Lost Art Of Keeping Of Secret
    and this one
    The Lost Art Of Keeping A Secret, Redux

Q: Will I be able to mod EB, such as inserting my own skins?
    A: Yes, though it will be much more difficult. EB will be using up to the province, faction, unit, model, building, and every other conceivable limit. In addition, each EB model is brand new and not based on vanilla. So you cannot use your existing skins on EB models, they will have to be changed.

Q: Considering the breadth of the mod, is EB going to produce a detailed (more akin to a manual than a readme) supporting text document?
    A: EB is in the process of creating a detailed manual.

Q: What is this language mod I've been hearing about?
    A: EB has replaced the in battle audio files so that units speak in their ancient tongue. Currently there is a Ancient Greek, a Latin, and a Celtic voicemod in EB. There will be more implimented in the future releases of EB. (Currently some voicemods are being used as placeholders for some factions who didn't actually speak that language.)

Q: I have modding skills and I want to help you guys. who should I talk to?
    A: Ask tk-421 what he needs. he is the recruiting coordinator and he has a thread over here.

Q: May I use material from EB for my own mod?
    A: See the "EB Loaning Policies" thread.

II Historic

Q: I've never heard of unit/faction/name X. I can't find it online. Where did you find it?
    A: Most of our sources are primary archaeological and textual evidence. We have people reading and examining this evidence in period languages. We consider secondary evidence as well. However, many of our sources are found in places that only academics will be able to access, and a few have not even been published yet. Our goal is to be as accurate as possible, not to please those who want to be able to find what we describe on Google.

Q: Why are the Gauls called Aedui / Arverni and the Germans called Sweboz?
    A: In Europa Barbarorum, all factions are named as they named themselves in history. The Celts living in what is today France, never called themselves “Gauls”. They were in fact no united nation, they were a mixture of different Tribes.
    The Aedui were one of the major tribes (ruling complete Gaul for a short time), who were opposed by the Arverni Federation. (For more Details please read “Gaius Julius Caesar: De Bello Gallico”)
    The Sweboz were one of the bigger Germanic tribes, who possibly were able to unite all tribes (proudly represented by the Eleutheroi).
    The same applies for Getai, Casse and Sauromatae.

Q: What are mnai?
    A: In EB the Rome TW currency Denarii is replaced by the more historically accurate mnai or minae. A mnai is 1/60 of a talent (Greek: talanton). The talent was once a Babylonian weight unit, and varied much over time and in the places it was used. In the 3rd century BC contracts between Rome and Qart Hadasht, the Attic/Euböic talent is used, which amounted approximately 27 kg. During the EB timeframe there were two major types of currency systems in use in the Mediterranean region:

Attic
    6 obols = 1 drachma
    100 drachmae = 1 mnai
    60 mnai = 1 Talent

Qart Hadasht / Ptolemaic Egypt
    60 shiqlu = 1 mnai
    60 mnai = 1 Talent

Q: Why did you add so many provinces to area X, which was of lesser importance?
    A: Due to the limits on province number, not all cities that are wanted can be added to EB. The area might be unimportant to your faction, but it was important to some faction. EB seeks to represent all cultures (including "barbarians") equally.

Q: I think you should have more provinces in densely populated areas, why didn't you do this?
    A: See above.

Q: Why does faction X have province Y? Why doesn't faction X have province Z?
    A: Factions will be given starting positions that are true to history.

Q: Where is the Lorica Segmentata?
    A: Lorica Segmentata wasn't used until several years in AD. This places Lorica Segmentata out of the EB time frame and to include it would be ahistorical.

Q: Where are the "Imitation Legionaries"?
    A: "Imitation Legionaries" are military units that fight in the "Roman" fashion. Inthat they wore chainmail and threw a javalin weapon before charging for melee combat. This style of combat developed independenly in the east and when Roman writers witnessed it they described it as "Imitation Legionaries".

Q: Why doesn't Koinon Hellenon's hoplites use the phalanx formation.
    A: The overhand hoplite formation represents the "classical hoplites". This type of combat was used before the sarissa phalanx and relies on pushing. Because of the required flexiblity, animation, and speed, the EB team has opted to make the "classical hoplite" the way it is.

Q: Why can't I build ships in my ports?
    A: EB has restricted military ship construction to places that have good shipyard harbours and the resources to build large quality ships. Updated map here.

Q:Why can't I build any ships in the Caspian area?
    A:Because historically the area was more an amalgam of mercantile and commercial interest as well as adding to the fact that the northernly reaches were sparsely populated steppes, which further diminished the competitive factors and rather bolstered local enterprises. While there was certainly a local industry for building transporters and such to a lesser extent, and some scant trade by sea, no Parthian city in the area supported any significant port, and there was no economically competitive nor significant factor in the northern reaches, thus as a consequence there is no reason to expand any industry of transporters beyond local needs, let alone vessels of war or to drastically change economical prospects that historically remained the same for several centuries. Out of all the great waters, the Caspian Sea, beyond rich stocks of fish (The famed Persian sturgeon), and in spite of rich coastal areas, in particular the fertile Albania and well-watered Hyrcania famed for her dense forests, clearly did not carry the same potential as the Black Sea or the Persian Gulf. Add to the the fact that the Sarmatians to the north did not share the same taste for commercial enterprise as the Parthians to the south. Hence, the Caspian area is not very lucrative at all in matter of trade. You can still build sizeable places of trade, but not beyond the possibilities for expansion, let alone a base for a navy.

III Bugs

Q: I have had a CTD (crash to desktop), what do I do?
    A: Please report your bug following this guide.

Q: After i unistalled RTW, i can't get it to reinstall again, what can i do?
    A: This is (in most cases) caused by some entries in the registry, telling the RTW install Program that RTW is already installed/patched.

helpfull links (thanks to Foot):

a) step by step instruction how to delete regestrie entries from my PC
    b) step by step instruction using Reg Cleaner
    c) using install shield
    d) small clean programm

Q: I loaded a game in EB and all of my Government buildings have been destroyed (all red). What happened?
    A: If you start a campaign with faction 'A', activate the script and then quit to the main menu and reload a previous save game of a faction other than faction 'A', your government buildings will be damaged as soon as you activate the script again. This is hardcoded into RTW, and there's nothing we can do to fix it. You can avoid the "bug" by shutting down RTW completely and restarting if you want to play a different save game with a different faction (reloading save games from your current campaign is not a problem).

Q: Why does EB run so slow?
    A: EB contains much more information and detail than the original RTW. EB pushes many of the engine's capibilities to the max. Make sure you don't have any other programs running while playing EB. A guide to "Making EB Run Faster" can be found here.

Q: EB freezes on the initial load screen.
    A: It hasn't frozen it is just loading. Give it time. To speed up see above.

IV Gameplay

Q: What is the "campaign script" and how do I load it?
    A: The campaign script is the way EB mods much of the game to introduce new features and gameplay like seasons and stuff. Loading the campaign script is easy. As soon as you start a campaign, and every time after that when you load that game click on any one of your cities. An advisor will pop up telling you to click the "show me how" button. Do this. Now the advisor can be closed if it doesn't do so automatically. Advice does NOT need to be turned on for this to work.

Q: What is the date range of EB?
    A: EB starts in 272BC and ends in AD14.

Q: As the Romans, why can't I build factional MICs in X area.
    A: The Romans can only build factional MICs in areas that contain Roman units. The area expands based on the reform level (see below). During the Camilian Era, you can build factional MICs in your starting cities plus Segesta. During the Polybian Era, you can build factional MICs in "Homeland" regions (Italy). During the Marian & Avgvstan Eras, you can build factional MICs everywhere, but have limited recruitment, based on the area.

Q: What does MIC mean?
    A: MIC stands for Military-Industrial Complex, and is the most common way that forum members refer to the buildings in EB that enable you to recruit soldiers. Other names for the same include "barracks", and both are often prefixed by local/regional/allied or native/factional. Another FAQ entry points to the differences between these.

Q: Which factions have reforms, and when do they take place?
    A: There are 9 factions which have unique reforms:
    Celts (Aedui/Arverni/Casse): 2
    Time of Bondsmen
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    -Casse, Arverni, and Aedui must build at least 5 (forum)(L3 Market) collectively

Time of Soldiers
    -Casse, Arverni, and Aedui must build at least 9 (forum)(L3 Market) collectively
    -Casse, Arverni, and Aedui must build at least 5 Large Cities collectively
    -Casse, Arverni, and Aedui must build at least 5 Large Temples ('awesome' level)(L3 Temple) collectively

Saka: 1
    -You must hold Baktra, Marakanda, Alexandreia Eschate, Antiocheia Margiane, Alexandria Ariana or Taksashila for 4 consecutive winters.

Romans: 3
    Polybian
    The Polybian Reforms happen due to a change in equiptment and tactics that were adopted or adapted due to wars with Carthage and Celts.
    -At least year 242
    -Hold 2 of these cities (Segesta, Mediolanum, Patavium, Bononia)
    -Hold 2 of these cities (Lilibeo, Messana, Syracuse)
    OR
    -Wait until 210BC
    (You get the new units only after upgrading your MICs.)

Marian
    The Marian Reforms mark a shift between citizen soldiers and professional soldiers from any class who are supplied their equiptment by the state. These reforms will occur when you have a large empire with a lack of landed citizens to fill the growing need for soldiers. If at this point there is a man willing to make the changes to the military system, the reforms will take place.
    -At least the year 172BC
    -Have more than 6 Latifundia built in Italy
    -Hold at least 45 settlements
    -Fight more than 250 battles
    -Have a character that is:
    Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous
    Popularis
    Consul or Ex-Consul
    Has Influence > 2
    Has Command > 2
    OR
    -Conquer 90 settlements.

Augustan
    If a man with the drive arises in the Republic, willing to overthrow the Senate, give him the chance and these reforms will take place. (These reforms are not inevitable and are based on whether such a character arrises.)
    -At least year 125BC
    -Hold 90 settlements
    -Have at least 45 type2 settlements
    -Fight 400 battles
    -Have a general that is:
    Sharp/Charismatic/Vigorous
    At least Skilled Bureaucrat
    At least Arrogans
    At least Expert Recruiter
    Can't be Selfless
    (If these conditions are met, the general will receive a trait telling he wants to seize power. Make him the Faction Heir and as soon as he becomes the leader the reforms will happen.)

Seleucids: 1
    Cataphract Reforms
    -At least year 253BC
    -Two different generals must loose a large battle (including a loss to the general's bodyguard) against a faction that uses cataphracts (Pahlav, Armenia, Baktria).

Hayasdan: 2
    Pan-Caucasus Empire Reform
    Part1:
    -Upgrade Armavir to a Large Town
    -Build in Armavir a (market), (roads), (town_garrison)(L1 law), and (sanitize)(L1 health).
    = (Homeland resource will appear in Armavir)

Part 2:
    -Build a Type1 government in Armavir
    = (Improved government resources will appear around the Caucasus region)

Part 3:
    -Build Type3 or better governments in these cities (Armavir, Karkathiokerta, Ani-Kamah, Phraaspa, Kotais, Trapezous, Kabalaka, Mtskheta)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Amaseia and Mazaka)

Persian Reform
    -Build Type3 governments in these cities (Arbela, Seleukeia, Babylon, Ekbatana, Charax, Susa, and Persepolis)
    -Build (persiapart) in these cities (Susa and Persepolis)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Susa, and Persepolis)

Western Expansion 2:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Ekbatana, Seleukeia, Babylon, and Charax)
    -Build (persiafull) in these cities (Susa and Persepolis)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Ekbatana, Seleukeia, Babylon, and Charax)

Western Expansion 3:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Palmyra, Edessa, and Arbela)
    -Build (persiafull) in these cities (Ekbatana, Seleukeia, Babylon, Charax, Susa, and Persepolis)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Palmyra, Edessa, and Arbela)

Western Expansion 4:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Tarsos, Antiocheia, and Damaskos)
    -Build (persiafull) in these cities (Palmyra, Edessa, Arbela, Ekbatana, Seleukeia, Babylon, Charax, Susa, and Persepolis)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Tarsos, Antiocheia, and Damaskos)

Eastern Expansion 2a:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Zadrakata, Apameia, and Gabai)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Zadrakata, Apameia, and Gabai)

Eastern Expansion 2b:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Karmana and Gabai)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Karmana and Gabai)

Eastern Expansion 3a:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Asaak, Hekatompylos, and Alexandreia-Ariane)
    -Build (persiafull) in these cities (Zadrakata, Apameia, Gabai, Karmana, Susa, and Persepolis)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Asaak, Hekatompylos, and Alexndreia-Ariane)

Eastern Expansion 3b:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Pura, Alexandropolis, Prophthasia, and Alexandreia-Ariane)
    -Build (persiafull) in these cities (Zadrakata, Apameia, Gabai, Karmana, Susa, and Persepolis)
    = (Subjugation resources will appear in Pura, Alexandropolis, Prophthasia, and Alexandreia-Ariane)

Eastern Expasion 4:
    -Build Type3 governments and (persiapart) in these cities (Baktra, Antiocheia-Margiane, and Kophen)
    -Build (persiafull) in these cities (Pura, Alexandropolis, Prophthasia, Alexandreia-Ariane, Zadrakata, Apameia, Gabai, Karmana, Susa, and Persepolis)
    = (Subjugation resrouces will appear in Baktra, Antiocheia-Margiane, and Kophen)

If this isn't clear to you, see this guide: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...a-reform-guide

Carthage: 1
    -At least year 235BC
    -Build at least 5 (L5 regional MIC)(royal_barracks_V1) in these cities (Lepki, Garama, Adrumeto, Kirtan, Ippone, Tuat, Siga, Lixus, Sala, Gader, Mastia, Sucum-Murgi, Baikor, Arsé, Oxtraca, Numantia, Emporion, Tyde, Pallantia, Vellika, Tolosa, Massalia, Segesta, Arretium, Ariminum, Roma, Capua, Arpi, Taras, Rhegion)
    -Hold 3 of these cities (Tolosa, Massalia, Segesta, Arretium, Ariminum, Roma, Capua, Arpi, Taras, Emporion, Arse, Mastia, Gader)
    OR
    -Wait until 200BC

Sweboz: 1
    Druhtitīdiz
    The reforms for the Sweboz will occur when there is a well established trade system in Germania and the Sweboz have built up a military system in a province with metallurgical resources.
    At least 190BC,
    -A (forum)(L3 Market) built in these provinces: Kimbriolandam, Swebolandam, Rugolandam, Herusklandam, Habukolandam, Mrog Actagone (previously Hattolandam)
    - (army_barracks_U1)(L4 Regional MIC) in one of these provinces: Luvarottea, Sarmiszegethusa, Burdava, Eburonum, Vindobona, Iuvavoaeta, Veldideno, Aventicos, Vindelicoppidos, Vienna

Pahlav: Reformed Government
    The Pahlav reform isn't like the other reforms. Pahlav has a "reformed" government building that it buildable in Iran/Persia. Once you build up the infrastructure of the town, you are able to upgrade your nomadic government and reform your control of the region.

Other Reforms:
    All other factional reform units are tied to the "March or Time" event (Vanilla Marian Reform) which requires the Romans to build a huge city in central Italy to trigger. This is just an arbitrary time delay.

Q: I just got reforms but I didn't get new units.
    A: You have to upgrade your MIC in order to get new units.

Q: Which is the recommend difficult setting for Europa Barbarorum?
    A: Europa Barbarorum is best played on Very Hard / Medium. The AI is aggressive (in particular the slave faction) but don’t get stat bonuses on the battlefield. If you want a real challenge try VH/VH but be aware enemy units on the battlefield are getting massive bonuses (afaik: +7 attack, +7 defence, and a huge morale boost), you could have your fullstack army is hacked to pieces by 5 units levies...

Q: Do you have improved the AI in any way?
    A: No, the AI is completely hardcoded, and cannot be altered. Nevertheless the AI gets some assistance. The not perfect solution is that the AI factions are getting financial help via script, if their treasury is under a certain amount of mnai.
    "You have brain, and the AI has money."

Q: Have you changed the distribution of wealth any?
    A: Yes - provinces, resources, and trade have all had their values tweaked, and costs are much higher than they were. This is part of what we want your help for, to balance the economy, and other aspects of EB.

Q: Why do I always go into debt in the first few turns of playing EB?
    A: The upkeep and recruitment costs of your army are extremely high, compared to vanilla rtw or other mods. This makes the start of each campaign very difficult. Generally you can choose between two tactics: disband your army, and begin building up your economy; or just begin to conquer provinces with your starting army, until your are out of debt.
    There are starting guides for some factions (Sweboz, Baktria, Koinon Hellenon, Casse, Karthadast, Rome) which bring you through the critical first turns. In the EB Gameplay Guides Subforum are fan made guides for other factions, too.

Q: How does the new recruitment system work?
    Q: What is the difference between regional and factional MICs?
    Q: Where should I put Type1&2 and where should I put Type3&4?
    A: The EB governments are explained here, the EB MIC system is explained here, and the nomad system explained here.

Q: Are 0-turn buildtimes for certain units being considered?
    A: The idea has been discussed and rejected.

Q: Will you be changing the campaign victory conditions?
    A: Each faction has new unique victory conditions. To view victory conditions, there is a map in the faction details scroll.

Q: How to gain long lasting peace or alliances in EB/RTW.
    A: The campaign AI was always a diffcult thing in RTW, and the main thing (not the only) that influences it is money. If you have an alliance with another faction (for example your are playing Karthadast and your Ally is Rome) you have always to fear that they attack you out of no reason (as it often happens). To make the Alliance lasting you have to make gifts to them. The best way to do this are tributes. Giving them small amounts (100 - 500 or whatever you can afford ) of money every turn make them stay friendly is working well. And after some time Your Ally will offering Gifts (money) to you too.

Q: How to fight Gesetae, and why are they so damn tough?
    A: In short: Gesetae are highly skilled, battle hardened veterans, taking drugs that make them feel no pain, and you best fight them with javelins. More detailed description here.

Q: Why are slingers so strong?
    A: Slingers have the AP attribute to represent the power of the lead bullets that they used. Slingers can be more effective against armored units and were historically. Due to the fact that the AI doesn't spam slingers, the EB team has decided to keep their stats the way they are.

Q: Will certain rebels, in places like Numidia, Illyria, India etc. be much stronger than others to represent the left out factions?
    A: Certain areas will be more difficult to take than others. Rebels in EB do not represent generic 'rebels' but lesser factions and tribes that didn't make it into EB due to the faction limit.

Q: Why can't I recruit any units in X area?
    A: Not all regionals are finished being made. In future versions of EB there will be more regionals to plug those holes. Don't expect more than levies in most areas, though. Most populations were unwilling to serve in their occupier's military.

Q: Can I reach Terhazza/Sahara?
    A: No. Terhazza/Sahara is unreachable without cheating. It is a desolate desert and not worth owning. Besides, the EB script places nonsensical buildings in Terhazza to track the progress of your game.

Q: In custom battles or multiplayer the unit selection is missing units.
    A: All of the regionals cause a problem for the custom battle / multiplayer list. There is a special EDU for custom battles / multiplayer in the "...Rome- Total War\EB\mp custom game edu" folder. Rename your campaign EDU then place the EDU from that folder into the "...Rome - Total War\EB\Data" folder. When you want to play a campaign again, switch back to your original EDU. EB v1.1 now comes with the trivial script, which will automatically switch the files for you. To play custom battles or multiplayer battles with all of your factional units, run the "Play Multiplayer" option of the trivial script.

Q: Why is the map funny on the south end of Greece?
    A: This is Cape Tainaron, which is only accessible by sea. This was a famous mercenary hub in ancient times, and you can recruit many mercenaries here which would normally be a lot farther off in the three different spots. The weird map is a side effect of our implementation, where we add a spot from three different mercenary pools in this location.
    Last edited by Moros; 05-31-2013 at 14:19. Reason: Reform requirements updated

Default Re: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Old FAQ for reference:
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=63634

Please ask new/unrelated questions in a new thread...
    Last edited by MarcusAureliusAntoninus; 05-08-2007 at 02:33.

He has to be or have been a consul. He should get elected to that position eventually. I think the more influence the better chance he has.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

EB Traitor Member BozosLiveHere's Avatar

Not really. He needs at least 5 Influence to be considered for the position though. He also needs to reach Ex-Praetor.

Just your average Senior Member Warmaster Horus's Avatar
    Besancon, France: a stepping stone to greatness. I hope.

I think you'd have to remove the counter for "reformator".
    What I'd recommend is to "arrange for the reforms to happen" - cheating in other words. You'd have to give_trait "character name" "Consul" in the Console. Of course, if you don't want to cheat don't do that, and an EB scripter ought to come soon.
    The Throne Room: "Less a forum, more a way of life." Econ21
    Don't hesitate to visit the Mead Hall! A little more reading, a little less shouting, please.
    Join the latest greatest installement of mafia games: Capo di Tutti Capi!
    Check out the Gahzette!
    By the by, are you interested in helping out the Gahzette? Think you could be a writer, reporting on the TW or Org community? Then check the Gahzette Thread or drop me a PM!

Back.

I'd suggest opening the beginning column of text so that it's more spaced, or every other one bolded, or something, so it's not a giant box of text. It's ugly to look at, and one gets rather lost looking through it at times.

Quote Originally Posted by kambiz
    Ofcourse I don't want to use cheat. I waited for weeks till I reached 172-170BC and everyones know it is a real pain in EB to reach this point ,But it seems I don't have no other choice
    Regarding the editing of the Script file ,Can you please explain more? Because I'm not familiar with this file

Thanks beforehand
    Can we move this discussion to its own thread, its cluttering up the FAQ unnecessarily.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Hi!

I have a question to Polybian reform.
    I read this: "You get the new units after upgrading your Mic's."

What is "Mic"???

Thanks.

Hi and thanx first of all. I used only to play total realism but now i'm just in another world full of wonders with barbarorum.

I just have a question about skins and music. I used to play with unrealistic spartan hoplites skin and really love it (sorry ), i just wonder how i could replace skins in this mod?
    Same goes for the music if i could put my own music files, it would just be so perfect.

Yes, I activate the Script every single time I play, and I always make sure by clicking another city. I rarely play more than one turn without the Script, and those times its because I saved in another faction's turn because of a battle.

I have checked and there is no option to upgrade to Polybian MICs, and my cities still say, Camillan Military Era.

I have all fo Sicily, Karali, Ajaccio, all of Northern Italy except Mediolanum, and the Coast opposite Eastern Italy.

Well, that shouldn't be. If you have all of Italy and Sicily and it is past 242BC then you should have it. Maybe play another year or so and see if the script is just late due to midenemyturn battles. (Btw, the Camilian building won't go away, there will just be a Polybian one at the end of your building list as well.)

Great, I got the f***ing Polybian Reforms (no announcement though), but they gave me a CTD.

For some reason the only two units of Camillan Triarii I had had blank unit cards, and when I ordered them to move the CTD happened.

Sorry I cannot send you the save file, but I had to delete them all, since the CTD affected all my save games for some random reason, and my browser would not access the forums.
    I ended up deleting them all and starting over, though this seems to have worked quite fine.

Anyway, you were right Marcus, it apperently slowed down because of the enemy turns without the script on.
    Sorry to bother you.

No need for profanity. Oh yes, an EB CTD will screw up all your savegames, block your browser from the forum, delete all picture files on your hard drive and put sugar in your gasoline.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Default The gameplay difficulty

Hi folks,
    I have one question. How is the best play of EB. There is written in the FAQ gameplay answers - Very hard/Medium. It means: Very hard (battles)/ Medium (strategy map) or is my meaning wrog?
    Thank you for advice!
    My name is Pius, Pius 007 Curus

Default Re: The gameplay difficulty

Vh campaign map, Medium battles.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader

Hello everyone. I hope I#m posting at the right place, i'm even not sure wether i'm really having a problem or not. It just seems like local mics are totally useless for lusitanians. I made numantia my capital, using type 1 gouvernment. after building all mic (factional/local) i can build 2 types of iberian (not lusitanian) standard weakling infantry . on the other hand, even in my type 3/4 gouvernments, im building iberian units in my standard barracks, not the local ones. Could this be a bug or did i just get something totally wrong?
    By the way: where and how do i recruit iberian scutari and those iberian cataphractoi?

The local mics probably have nothing if anything at all to offer in your homeland provinces. I haven't played Lusotannan yet, but I guess there won't be much in the Iberian peninsula. You'll get heavier units at higher-level factional mics, but don't expect very many of them. The Lusitanians were adept at skirmisher/ambush stuff and their light infantry is excellent at it.

Iberian units you can train on the east coast in your factional mics. Check this thread for some handy stuff.

Yeah, for some factions we call local MIC's "Local Non-native Barracks" or some variant of that. They really won't do much for your homelands, that's why it's very bad judgement to ally with your homeland territories. Build type1 or 2 govts in them, and ally with them "furiners" where you can't get your good faction troops.

I have installed and reinstalled EBv2 the latest. When I try and load the game it says that it can not load Mount type crested horse, something about 6142 column 85, Then it crashes to desk top. I have read the faq but there does not appear to be anything relevant to this....

DHP

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_horse_spirit
    I have installed and reinstalled EBv2 the latest. When I try and load the game it says that it can not load Mount type crested horse, something about 6142 column 85, Then it crashes to desk top. I have read the faq but there does not appear to be anything relevant to this....

DHP
    Make a new thread with a bug report in the bug report subforum.

i have all the prerequisites for building arenas in sparta and korinthos, but i cant. is this intended?, i have double checked all pre-reqs, everything is there but theres no option.

Quote Originally Posted by Dram
    i have all the prerequisites for building arenas in sparta and korinthos, but i cant. is this intended?, i have double checked all pre-reqs, everything is there but theres no option.
    As the Romans? Those towns probably have Gymnasiums, which are in the same building tree. You have to tear them down before you can build Roman Arenas.

Cool Re: Europa Barbarorum FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus
    As the Romans? Those towns probably have Gymnasiums, which are in the same building tree. You have to tear them down before you can build Roman Arenas.
    thanks man, thats what the problem was.

Thanks, fixed.

Having problems getting EB2 to run? Try these solutions.
    ================
    I do NOT answer PM requests for help with EB. Ask in a new help thread in the tech help forum.
    ================
    I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. - Stephen Hawking

Hi everyone... I just have a quick question... Which are the level 3 markets that you need for the Gallic reforms? the one that cost 3k mnai, or the ones that are 6k? becouse i built 5 of the 3k which should be level 3 since they are the third ones that are available... or am i wrong?

just want to know what must i do to stand a chance against the romans
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Thanks, I made the version and 'sharp' changes. I completely forgot the version number was listed in the faq.

Hello there im playing the roman faction and i have a reform problem
    its 242 BC it has reached the year in history event but i still get no new units or a message. i have control of atleast 2 citys in northern italy and sicly as a matter of fact i have owned the region before 242 bc but nothing has happened. My only thing that i am not sure is that do i need at least 2 CITIES (L3) in order to get the reform?
    by the way i was wondering why do ship upkeeps have to be expensive can they only be expensive if a faction has no excess to the lumber good on the map it has a description that clearly explains why and the only reason why i see it be expensive is if you lacked wood.
    Last edited by Gods999; 11-10-2007 at 06:56.

The Galatian, AtB Member Member Admetos's Avatar

To gain access to the reform units, you must destroy your old MICs, which should be 100% damaged anyway, and build new ones.

Support Asia ton Barbaron, the Eastern Mod for EB, on The Guild and TWC.
    Former barman at the EB Tavern.
    My balloons:

You never have to destroy your MICs, just upgrade them. With the Marian Reforms, your old MICs become worthless and can be destroy, but you never have to.

Just destroy and build new ones up to the point where you were previously using process_cq. Add money using show_err to make sure you have the same money as before. That way, you don't have to upgrade your MIC and get the reforms immediately.

Q: Why are slingers so strong?
    A: Slingers have the AP attribute to represent the power of the lead bullets that they used. Slingers can be more effective against armored units and were historically. Due to the fact that the AI doesn't spam slingers, the EB team has decided to keep their stats the way they are.
    This is not true. The EB team has heeded the countless threads on this issue and lowered the stats of many slinger units.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast