Thread: launcher.exe

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

Default launcher.exe

I just bought the game, installed it and patched to 1.2. All went well.

Since I don't have the state the art of a machine (P4 3GHz CPU, 1GB RAM Radeon 9800pro), I started the Custom battle with large number of units just to see how can my machine handle it. Hm, not very well, the game was very sluggish.

After lowering the details to minimum, there was no change. I thought it was strange, so I checked the processes running on my machine and I saw that launcher.exe consumes very much cpu time.

The strangest thing is, when I exited the game, the launcher.exe is still running, with high cpu usage WTF?

Obvious solution to this problem is to run the game directly from medieval2.exe, bypassing the launcher... the game performance is ok

Is this a know problem, or is it just my bad luck?

Default AW: launcher.exe

Whether it's a known problem or not, you shouldn't use any launcher anyway.
    Emotion, passions, and desires are, thus peace is not.
    Emotion: you have it or it has you.

---

Pay heed to my story named The Thief in the Mead Hall.
    No.

---

Check out some of my music.

Default Re: AW: launcher.exe

I've seen this reported elsewhere.

Probably a problem with the installation of .NET; just bypass the launcher.
    From wise men, O Lord, protect us -anon
    The death of one man is a tragedy; the death of millions, a statistic -Stalin
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Default Re: AW: launcher.exe

Quote Originally Posted by Bijo
    Whether it's a known problem or not, you shouldn't use any launcher anyway.
    Why not?

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

Default Re: launcher.exe

The launcher could be fine if CA had somebody who cares for it update it regularly
    And if they wouldn't have chosen such a complicated process it could've been used to launch mods, too.

I also assume that you'll be able to choose which kingdoms campaign you want to play with the launcher.

I also assume that you'll be able to choose which kingdoms campaign you want to play with the launcher.
    Hope not.

I was assuming they'd use a system similar to the early/high/late campaigns in MTW to choose that...
    We can categorically state that we have not released man-eating badgers into the area -UK military spokesman Major Mike Shearer

Harbinger of... saliva Member alpaca's Avatar

I'm not sure that would work because then they'd only have 500 unit slots for all 4 campaigns which honestly isn't a lot.
    The more important problem is that the campaign rules would be the same though, which they probably don't want (like you had to make forts permanent for all maps, whereas they claim it'll be only permanent for one map).

Furthermore, the launcher mod readme says that you should put mods into the "Unofficial" reg key, therefore implying there will be an official one. That official one will then probably be used either for kingdoms or for something like the Alexander campaign.

Ah, ok

king of my kingdom Member DVX BELLORVM's Avatar

Thank you for the feedback. I edited the shortcuts to start the game from medieval2.exe, and forgot about launcher.

The game runs smoothly now, even on my old machine