Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: MTW Pocket Mod: Summary, Download and Bug Reports

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Default Re: MTW Pocket Mod

Sweet, Caravel. And just in time for the weekend, too! I'll let you know if I run into anything -- assuming I'm not too busy kicking the Byz' and Seljuks' rear ends, that is.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Hi mate
    if i do a clean install of MTW and VI should i just install v1.0.5. or most i put all versions on first ????

You only need to install v1.0.5, not all of the others. You'll need a clean install of MTW/VI as well yes. Ensure that you install over that one and not your other one, to avoid overwriting MTW vanilla or any mods.

Hi, guys. This mod sounds great! What version of MTW:VI do I need in order to try it out, 2.1?
    Becoming one with your sword means not becoming / one with your soul realizing who you already are / everything / that there is nothing to become.

The mod is for VI 2.01 only. That is the latest version. It doesn't support MTW v1.0/1.1.

Hi guys. I dont have much time for playing games anymore (only during weekend) and I find I can't make choose between xl, bkb or this mod... I've got a 10 gig har drive, can't have multiple copies of mtw installed, so the mod I play better be good!

Could somebody write up a few of the strong points of this mod in its current state of development... the best things about it, things that people like?
    Becoming one with your sword means not becoming / one with your soul realizing who you already are / everything / that there is nothing to become.

"The MTW/VI Pocket Mod is basically a no frills mod for the main 1087 - 1453 Medieval campaign for MTW. It includes many realism and gameplay fixes but is neither a pure historical accuracy mod, nor a realism mod. The aim of the mod is to improve gameplay, realism and historical accuracy while keeping the mod itself as small as possible." -Caravel

That just about says it all,Nikpalj.

For the requirements you have, I should think the PocketMod is ideal.From what I ve seen from gameplay, this is a no-nonsense as well as "no frills" mod. As you can see its still under development (a fascinating read,by the way)so still rough at the edges.
    A single leaf falls,
    then suddenly another,
    stolen by the breeze

RANSETSU (1654-1707)

Greetings Nikpalj. This mod is really not the same kind of thing as the BKB Super Mod, MedMod or the XL mod. Those mods are very impressive, fully featured with new factions, new units, and much more.

This mod is basically a unit stats, assignment and homelands mod. Many units have been reassigned and renamed. Homelands have been created for most units and some new units have been introduced. For more in depth info info read the summar, though it is not fully up to date, as I am waiting to release v1.0.6.

As Tony Furze has touched on, the mod is in an unfinished state. There is still a lot to be done, but it is still very playable. I am always looking for contributers, and as you can see, some very knowledgable people have already come onboard and are providing extremely valuable input and new ideas, without which this mod would not be half as good as it is now.

Last edited by caravel; 02-05-2007 at 14:21.

The MTW Pocket Mod v1.0.6-beta has been released. Please install this version over the previous version.

IMPORTANT: This is a BETA version, and is not guaranteed to be fault free.

• Nizari Foot Soldiers, Nizari Fedayeen and Ghazi Infantry no longer trainable by the Moors.

• Nubian Spearmen javelin animation fixed (Belisario)

• Jihad takes 4 years to build and depends on the Grand Mosque

• Nizari now also require a ribat to train "{ BOWYER2, GRAND_MOSQUE, RIBAT }"

• Futuwwa now require a ribat instead of a swordsmith "{BOWYER3, RIBAT}"

• Crusade now takes 6 years to build and costs 1200 florins

• Teutonic Sergeants can now be trained in Prussia, Palestine and Lesser Armenia and depend on "{CHAPTER_HOUSE, ARMOURER2, HORSE_BREEDER3}"

• All other order knights can now be trained in certain provinces and depend on "{CHAPTER_HOUSE, ARMOURER3, HORSE_BREEDER3, SPEARMAKER3}". Hospitallers in Palestine, Rhodes, Cyrus and Malta. Templars in Syria (Arwad) and Palestine. Kinghts of Santiago can be trained in Leon and Castile. Teutonic Knights can now be trained in Prussia, Palestine and Lesser Armenia

• Order Knights and Foot Soldiers are more likely to appear in crusades

• Jinetes only trainable by Spanish and Aragonese in Iberian provinces

• Royal Court removed from muslim factions

• Less chance of siege equipment appearing in jihads

• More chance of Futuwwa, Nizari and Ghazi Infantry appearing in jihads

• Western European Archer only trainable by catholics, russians and novgorod

• Desert Archer trainable by (Moors, Turks and Egyptians) +2 morale (2), +1 melee (0), Valour bonus in Cyrenacia

• Saharan Cavalry Valour bonus moved to Sahara

• Turcoman foot now only depend on the Bowyers Workshop and not the Bowyers Guild

• All cavalry can now dismount before battle

• Early era Ghulam Bodyguards no longer look as much like feudal knights as they did (fixed in battle, temporary fix for the campaign map)

• Late era Ghulam Bodyguards are no longer mounted on horses using western european gothic armour. They now use the Kataphraktoi/Sipahis of the Porte/Mongol Heavy Cavalry/Khwarazmian Cavalry, Llamelar type. (Belisario)

• Byzantine Archers (Toxotai) renamed Psiloi and reclothed in the Bulgarian Brigand/Ottoman Infantry style

• All catholic factions can now crusade

• Khwarazmian Cavalry +1 melee (4), run speed 16, charge speed 18

• Gothic Knights +2 charge (6), +2 melee (6), run speed 16, charge speed 18

• Kataphraktoi run speed 16, charge speed 18

• Saracen Infantry Renamed Anatolian Infantry trainable by the Turks only

• Horse archers unit split into two units: Arab Horse Archers and Steppe Horse Archers.

• Desert Horse Archers are recruited in any of the desert provinces on the map from Edessa, Syria and Antioch southwards, and westwards as far as Sahara and Morocco. They can be trained by the Turks, Almohads and Egyptians. Desert Horse Archers dismount to Desert Archers.

• Steppe Horse Archers can be recruited in the same provinces as Steppe Cavalry and Steppe Heavy Cavalry. They can be trained by the Mongols, Russians, Novgorod, Byzantines, Turks and Hungarians. Steppe Horse Archers dismount to Archers.

Both units have visually changed with Desert Horse Archers looking the part, and Steppe Horse Archers looking much like Steppe Cavalry but with bows of course. The info pics now suit the units perfectly.

• The Drangar, "Vikings" unit, now looks like a Vikings unit and not like peasants with axes.

• New unit: Swedish Peasants (Innocentius), crossbowmen with a bit of woodsman, only trainable by catholics in sweden, high/late.

• New unit: Skutatoi, byzantine, as chivalric sergeants -2 charge +2 morale

• Ottoman Infantry renamed Zirhli Nefer and stats greatly improved, cost is increased. This is now the main Ottoman Infantry skirmisher unit for the late period. Dependencies: Bowyers' Guild and Swordsmiths' Guild.

• Many Horse Archer units are now in larger unit sizes

• Compound bows added to many "eastern" infantry/skirmisher units,

• Many Turkish and Byzantine units have been given more historically accurate names, their statistics are otherwise unchanged.

• A problem with The Mongol Khan's map piece has been fixed (a CA bug).

Many changes have been made to this version so there are likely to be a few bugs. These need to be reported ASAP please. For example if a file is missing or there is a crash mid game I'll need to know about that so that I can get a fix released.

Summary is still not up to date. (needs a complete overhaul)

Regards, and many thanks to those that contributed.

Cambyses II
    Last edited by caravel; 10-21-2008 at 23:11.

Sweet, Cambyses II!

Now if only my computer was still working so I could try it out....

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Downloading now. Excellent work.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

Argh...I'll have to install another copy of my MTW first, but then I'll give it a try
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Professional Cynic Member Innocentius's Avatar

Just had a first, quick go. This isn't a full review or anything, just a few things I found after about an hour of play. I only played what to see the new stuff that I found most interesting (new Byz-units and of course to try Swedish Peasants out), so these are just some quick comments about these:

Swedish Peasants can't fire (and have no picture in-game, no big problem though). SPs have the Pictish Crossbowmen picture, again, not a very big problem, but I still there's a lot of difference between the "barbarians" of the 9th century and the Swedish "peasants", who were almost equipped as properly as any other Scandinavian (or German).
    Here are some pictures (made by Paul Dolnstein in the early 16th century) depicting Swedish peasant levies:
    http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/ovriga_folk2.htm
    http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/ovriga_folk1.htm
    An interesting thing about the second picture is that the Swedish peasant (the one to the left) is wearing a kettlehat of a model used by the Danish army in the late 15th century. So apparently he (or his father, grandfather or whatever) took it during the Danish campaign towards Sweden in 1471.
    Really, it's quite innacurate to refer to them as peasants, ad they made up the better part of Swedish armies during the entire medieval period.

The work on the Byzantines was excellent! A clear improvement of what used to be The shortened construction-time for ships is excellent too
    One thing however surprised me: while playing as the Danes I had two rebellions in a row in Norway, both of them consisting of one lonely trebuchet. In the battle itself, there was no trebuchet however, and I was attacked by the 20-man crew instead.

Finally I just have a question: I have XL installed, and when I copied the MTW-folder all the XL files came with it (pretty obviously). This however means that there are a big chunks of the map that are treated as water*. For example Levidia, Lesser Khazar, Algarve and particularly Savoy and Greater Poland. It looks a bit odd to have a big piece of ocean in the middle of Burgundy. Stupid as I am when it comes to computers: how do I fix this?

*Only on the minimap in the upper left corner though. On the campaign map they are treated as...nothing.
    It's not easy being a man, you know. I had to get dressed today... And there are other pressures.

- Dylan Moran

The Play

Quote Originally Posted by Innocentius
    Just had a first, quick go. This isn't a full review or anything, just a few things I found after about an hour of play. I only played what to see the new stuff that I found most interesting (new Byz-units and of course to try Swedish Peasants out), so these are just some quick comments about these:

Swedish Peasants can't fire (and have no picture in-game, no big problem though).
    I'm not sure what you mean here? Is the info pic missing or is the unit invisible in battle? I've checked the distribution and all of the files for the unit and weapons textures and the actions files are in place. They're also working fine for me. I'll have to double check though.

SPs have the Pictish Crossbowmen picture, again, not a very big problem, but I still there's a lot of difference between the "barbarians" of the 9th century and the Swedish "peasants", who were almost equipped as properly as any other Scandinavian (or German).
    Here are some pictures (made by Paul Dolnstein in the early 16th century) depicting Swedish peasant levies:
    http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/ovriga_folk2.htm
    http://bjorn.foxtail.nu/ovriga_folk1.htm
    An interesting thing about the second picture is that the Swedish peasant (the one to the left) is wearing a kettlehat of a model used by the Danish army in the late 15th century. So apparently he (or his father, grandfather or whatever) took it during the Danish campaign towards Sweden in 1471.
    Really, it's quite innacurate to refer to them as peasants, ad they made up the better part of Swedish armies during the entire medieval period.
    Sorry about the use of the Pictish Crossbowmen info pic. I fully understand the difference, but there is no other info pic I can use at present. That one is a placeholder until I can find something more suitable. I am no artist myself so I will need to find something I can use (such as the funny image for the harem women). If you can find a better name, and write a description for their info pic, as well as actually finding an image for conversion into an info pic that would be great.
    The work on the Byzantines was excellent! A clear improvement of what used to be The shortened construction-time for ships is excellent too
    One thing however surprised me: while playing as the Danes I had two rebellions in a row in Norway, both of them consisting of one lonely trebuchet. In the battle itself, there was no trebuchet however, and I was attacked by the 20-man crew instead.
    I know, I'm still getting the trebuchets turning up as well. The answer is probably to prevent siege equipment appearing in any rebellions/loyalist revolts at all.
    Finally I just have a question: I have XL installed, and when I copied the MTW-folder all the XL files came with it (pretty obviously). This however means that there are a big chunks of the map that are treated as water*. For example Levidia, Lesser Khazar, Algarve and particularly Savoy and Greater Poland. It looks a bit odd to have a big piece of ocean in the middle of Burgundy. Stupid as I am when it comes to computers: how do I fix this?

*Only on the minimap in the upper left corner though. On the campaign map they are treated as...nothing.
    I'm afraid that you can't install this mod over the XL mod, this may explain why you were having the other problems also. It will conflict horribly and probably crash. You'll need to make a clean install of MTW/VI v2.01.

Thanks so much for this mod! I started a game with version 1.05 and had a lot of fun. For me it's a big plus that it's small and doesn't add more provinces to the game. I really like watchtowers, and so don't mind if you decide to stop after 1.06

The MTW Pocket Mod v1.0.6b-beta has been released. Please install this version over the previous version.

IMPORTANT: This is a BETA version, and is not guaranteed to be fault free.

• Fixed crews appearing on the battlefield without siege equipment.
    • This release is savegame compatible with v1.0.6

Many changes have been made to this version so there are likely to be a few bugs. These need to be reported ASAP please. For example if a file is missing or there is a crash mid game I'll need to know about that so that I can get a fix released.

Note: I'm still waiting for confirmation of the swedish peasants bug. I can test this by reinstalling MTW but would prefer not to (I can't create a duplicate install because I don't have the hard disk space available).

Cambyses II
    Last edited by caravel; 10-21-2008 at 23:13.

Could I have this dumped in the Alchemist's lab and locked please?

Last edited by caravel; 03-13-2007 at 00:41.

I've stickied this to make sure people don't have to dig for this fine little mod.

You'll also notice I've closed this thread for the time being. The reason for that is that the Pocket Mod is considered to be pretty much complete, and there are no plans to add onto it at this time. The thread may be re-opened should Caravel decide to resume work on it and/or make changes, however.

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Default PocketMod Trouble

I'm having trouble finding the pocketmod. Does anyone know were the link is?
    Beyond that, I've heard the pocketmod is one of the most accurate mods out there, but what is it's excact features?

Default Re: PocketMod Trouble

err, the thread was moved...somewhere, by Martok. I dont know if I still have the original download link around.

I will post it if I find it, but I´d do a search for "Pocket Mod" in advanced google in the forums anway if I were you. I KNOW the thread is there, I just don´t know the exact location.
    Iä Cthulhu!

Last edited by caravel; 10-21-2008 at 23:14. Reason: removed link
    Iä Cthulhu!

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Thanks UG.

This is the latest version: https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showp...&postcount=206

I will be updating that thread soon as I'll be starting work on the mod again in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses II
    I will be updating that thread soon as I'll be starting work on the mod again in the near future.
    Yey!
    #Hillary4prism

Wandering Fool Senior Member bamff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cambyses II
    Quote Originally Posted by Rythmic
    Yey!
    Double Yay!

Quote Originally Posted by bamff
    Double Yay!
    I lurk now days, not much to add.
    #Hillary4prism

This is indeed good news, especially since I finally got my new PC this last weekend. I'm definitely looking forward to future updates.

Post Re: MTW Pocket Mod

Hi,
    My apologies for this post, I'm sorry to interrupt the thread flow, yet I am having problems with the download links. Sadly, they seem to inform me that the site I have tried to access does not exist. May I ask if there is a work around, enabling one to download this great modification. Thanks very much, cheers!
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

I just tried the link in the first page of this thread and seems to be working fine Omanes.

Many Thanks

Noir

Post Re: MTW Pocket Mod

Thanks Noir and sorry for the post. I was having these problems this morning, yet I didn't have time to comment, so I waited till tonight to say something. I'll learn to check the links again before posting next time. My sincere apologies.

BTW, sorry to inform you, but I am having problems with the older links for 1.0. I'm not too sure, yet, may I ask, do I need them to gain the latest version? Thanks.
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 05-08-2007 at 20:15.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast