Thread: Roma Victrix !

Default Roma Victrix !

Well, at last, here come the Laurels !

The year is 75 BC. The Roman empire stretches its borders from the Atlantic Ocean to Babylonia, from the Black Sea to the Nile valley. Thousands of soldiers lives have been lost for it, an even greater number of civilans have paid of their lifes the stubborness of their rulers who tried to resist the power of the Urbs.

After too many hours to be counted, a few ctd here and there, I finally got it.

Many, many, many thanks to the entire EB team. You deserve so much for such an achievement, thank you all
    Thanks also to Cunctator, Watchman and Marcus Aurelius Antonius, whose great mods I used to make the experience even deeper !

And now, I'm going back outside, I've been told winter is over
    Last edited by TiFlo; 05-21-2007 at 21:10.

"To his dog every man is Napoleon ; hence the constant popularity of dogs." (Aldous Huxley)

Default Re: Roma Victrix !

Congratulations!!! That is an incredible achievement. Check out my Roman AAr when you get a chance. Any comments would be appreciated since you have "been there done that".

An Imperfect Follower of Light Member Wolfman's Avatar

This is so beautiful It has me in tears. Rome has once again showed it military and economical superiority. Roma Invicta!!
    Last edited by Wolfman; 05-22-2007 at 04:01.
    Tales of Gods and Kings - An Arverni AAR-DEAD
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...82#post1930882
    A People of the Mist - Casse AAR-ALIVE!!!!
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showth...Mist-Casse-AAR

This is truly impressing. I think that you're having serious trouble with the Sweboz, don't you? Good to see that there are people who have the patience to play that long.

Speak up for those who were silenced forever.
    Visit https://www.HellenicGenocide.org

yup. Winter is long gone :) but seriously how do you manage the patience required to build such an empire? Usually for me, I get to a point where it's just not hard anymore and so I start over. I have a game with the Romani as well but I'm taking it much slower. I plan on finishing it tough.
    In fact, I don't play with them since I started a Lusotanan campaign. Wich reforms did you hit btw?

Cheers...

Nice. My Romani one is at 160 BC or so and all I have left is to take the rest of Asia Minor, eliminate a couple factions (Maks, Epeiros, Ptolies), and then hit the few raiding targets I have left. I'll finish it one day, I promise...I dunno if I'll get the Imperial reforms though since my generals don't seem like they will get the combo anytime soon.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

@ Basileus Seleukeia

Swêboz and Ptolemaioi have been knocking on the door for the last century... Kind of annoying by the end I must say
    I know this is such a long time spent on a single campaign, but as far as I remember, the last campaign I've finished before was over a year ago, something like RTR Gold I think. So this time I told myself : "ok, I'm going to bring this one up to the end" so that then I can go with no longer ever lasting campaigns without asking myself how it would be if I kept playing. Since I'm sort of a "Romani or nothing" player, I'll probably start a new campaign with them again, but this time concentrating on smaller areas and objectives, like the Punic Wars. Or maybe give a shot to another mod (thinking to Casus Belli right now). Or maybe spend some time on my thesis

@ mAIOR

I've hit all 3 reforms. For what I remember, I got the Polybian around 230 BC, then I tweaked the Marian to get them around 180 BC with only some 30 cities owned. I tweaked again the Augustan reform so as to hit them around 130 BC with something like 70 cities.

Concerning it being boring, well... Seriously thinking about it, I may have had some 20 years pretty boring in all that campaign. Managing the economy has been especially challenging up to when I reached victory : because the more you spread your empire, the more troops you need to fortify every single pass and to man far away cities. Not to say the great navy required to properly control the seas drains your coffers !
    Another thing to consider is that while you build up and conquer lands, so do the other strongest factions. Thus, by 150 BC, there are some 4/5 superpowers in contest, and they are likely to turn on you as soon as you get in range : for the last 50 years, the Swêboz have kept sending stacks after stacks at me while in the east they did not even declare war to the weak Koinon Hellenon (which had been pushed back up to Crimea early on and never recovered since then).

Of course, all this goes without specifying I tried to roleplay as much as possible, to avoid blitzkrieg whenever the opportunity offered and especially to build my empire somewhat according to how it would be in real life (ie. going throught every single kind of gov. building for every single city I conquer and then rule, with care being taken of what type those cities end up with ; no paved roads before x years, then layed out from Roma to the rest of Italy, then to the main cities of the empire, etc. ; game fields before big temples, those ones only when the city reaches a certain level, and so on and so on).

All this to say that while I don't know how many time they've had the opportunity to go that far into a campaign while testing their mod, the EB team managed to make something that keeps you on your toes even when you own half of the known world and rule every single shore of the Mediterranean Sea
    Last edited by TiFlo; 05-21-2007 at 21:11.

"To his dog every man is Napoleon ; hence the constant popularity of dogs." (Aldous Huxley)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfman25
    Roma victa!
    You do realize that you wrote, "Rome was conquered," right?

Quote Originally Posted by abou
    You do realize that you wrote, "Rome was conquered," right?
    Shhhh....

Thanks for the correction abou. sorry i've been watching gladiator so I kinda went roman crazy. How would you write rome has conquered? Latin is not my first language.

Roma Victor I belive. Although I'm about as good at latin as you are Wolfman.

Roma vicit! - Rome has conquered!

If you want some other good ones:

Roma Victrix - Rome, the victorious.

Roma Invicta - Rome, the unconquerable.

Victa - vicit - victrix - invicta - victor...
    I must admit I wasn't too sure at first and I did quite a bit of searching to make sure I wasn't going to put a *cough* Wolfman25-Russel Crowe "Roma Victa!"

Aaaah, Hollywood, Hollywood...

Actually, victor is the masculine form. For example - Caesar victor.

So, victor has the same meaning as victrix, but the former is masculine and the latter femine.

Remember kids, nouns and adjectives agree in case, number, and gender. Also, each noun is the star of its own sentence element... sorry, went back to first semester Latin there for a second.

Ok OK! I have already been humiliated enough. ( runs in a corner with his tail between his legs.) Jokes aside I know a lot of roman history. I just don't know much latin.

Hurray for the Romans! Congratulations on finishing the campaign!

Now you just have to defeat that mother of a Sweboz empire......
    "Δῶς μοι πᾶ στῶ καὶ τὰν γᾶν κινάσω"~~Archimedes

Congrats - looks like you had fun with it too!

May I ask what you thought the best part about the campaign was overall? Any thing you particularly looked forward to, or anything you particularly dreaded?

Sorry for the late reply (people were right : winter is well over )

Joke aside, I'm trying to think about it.

- The best part is 1) probably the extreme longevity of the campaign, which allows you to always discover something new while you expand your borders, such as new units, new "wonders" and unique sites and buildings, and also face various kinds of adversaries each with their own culture, which requires you to adapt your armies, tactics and strategies 2) that wonderful diversity I'm talking about 3) the depth of the traits' system (this is... just marvellous)

- The downside to this is that 1) each turn can be really time consuming to manage your empire when it reaches over 50-60 provinces 2) at times it becomes a bit boring having to wait for the next reform to pop out. Don't get me wrong here, Romani are already privileged with their 3 reforms. Plus while I was very eager to get to the imperial era, after 30-40 years of it I was happy to see the end of it and to know I would start again with those good ol' hastati-principes-triarii

- My only fear, that proved to be justified, was to face endless stacks of enemies after 100-150 years from the 3-4 superpowers I was inevitably going to share my borders with : I'm especially pointing out Seleukia, Sweboz and Ptolies. That would be the main thing I look forward to : a balanced money script to counter that and keep the campaign as it is to be about (strategy), and not a pure stackfest. I mean, ok, that may be a good challenge to overcome such odds, but come on, I have real life matters to prove myself I'm capable of achieving something great ; a game is still something you play to relax, and I don't want to spend a full night in front of my computer just to get past one single year. At least, that's how I see it.
    As for the stackfest, I ended up auto_win every small encounter that wasn't involving strategic objectives. Some may call it cheating, I'd say look 2 lines above. And this is probably thanks to that cheat I sticked on my campaign.

- Concerning suggestions, I think this is already being addressed, but I'll confirm you guys are right anyway in doing it : 1) a real money script 2) an improved cursus honorum for Romani. Maybe also some sort of ancillaries/banners your generals get after they've spent some time on the field, telling you what legion they command, such as what Marcus Camillus has done with his Roman Leadership system in his "4 turns per year" minimod for RTRPE. Apart form that, I will go with the usual whining, asking for better roman skins. At least for those that are inacurate such as marian legionaries, evocati and pratoriae (spelling ?). That's about it

I won't tell anything for the other factions, since I don't play them that much and so I don't know a lot about them.

Overall, this is for a mod worthy to be called a 1.0 release, as it is fully playable, and most of the things it aims at work well. This especially as there is almost no more ctd, so you don't have to wonder when you will have to drop it because of the ctd of the death. You've made another happy EB camper !

Once again :

This game looks awesome!!! I have been looking for the website to download the mod but I couldn't find it. Could someone help me please?? Thank you
    Last edited by vnwarrior2025; 11-19-2012 at 05:05.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hello vnwarrior2025,

The EB website can be found here. Enjoy!
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Member thankful for this post:

Thanks Ludens for the website. However, EB website doesn't look anything like the game call Empire Total War: Roma Victrix i was searching for. I though picture posted by Tiflo above is the same game that i mentioned.

As far as I can quickly find out, it seems the mod was abandoned. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=380438 may reveal more.

Member thankful for this post:

I downloaded EmpireTW: Roma Victrix and played it yesterday, but they only allow custom battles using Rome and Celt fractions. :[

Anyway, Europa Barbarorum is a pretty cool mod too. But maybe not as good compare with Surrectum 2 that I have played.