Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Europa Universalis III

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Default Re: Europa Universalis III

Okay, I'm doing pretty well as Portugal, but now I've run into an inexplicable.

I took the "New World" idea, eager to conquer new lands and enslave new peoples. And with my handy Conquistador I took the islands near me; the Azores, Canaries, etc. But now I want to explore the sea, so I recruit an Explorer, but I cannot attach him to any of my fleets.

I looked at the ship descriptions and saw that carracks are able to handle the Atlantic, so I tried to put him in charge of a carrack-only fleet. No dice. Then I tried to put him on my cogs. Nuh-uh. Now I see Castille sending colonists hither thither and yon, and I can't join in the fun. What am I missing?

Senior Member Senior Member Ibn-Khaldun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Fleet must be in port if you want to assign an admiral to it.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

I'm slightly confused by merchants, does it matter which trading centre you send them to? Closer means less chance of losing the merchant but lower rewards, further higher chance merchant won't get there but higher profits? What benefits does a monopoly give?

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.

Troops can only be transported aboard "Transports" in case of merchants, if its like EU2, each Trading Center has the total amount of value from all the products of the provinces the Trade Center it represents. Establishing merchants in wealthier Trade Centers will bring you more revenue than in poorer trade centers, but in wealthy trade centers, the competition between merchants is much higher, as are the chances of your merchants being outcompeted from their places. Distance matters since it affects the costs of sending merchants to the said Trading Center. Obviously it costs a lot more sending a merchant to Venice than to a Trading Center in China, if you're an European country.
    BLARGH!

Spurred on by jealousy of the Spanish, I have over-colonized, and now the upkeep is killing me. Two loans and rampant inflation later, I'm kinda wondering how I messed up so badly. Tip to other newbies like me: Don't colonize like a madman. Brazil can wait.

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Depending on the size of your economy, you can only have so many developing colonies (those that require support) without it being a major drag on your finances. I ran into the same problem as England. I tried to have 20-30 colonies developing at the same time and it nearly bankrupted me.

I'd suggest keeping an eye on your finances before deciding to add another colony or focus or growing the ones you have.

Also, the tech cost (ie how many ducats invested that is required to advance to the next tech level) is determined by a complex formula that takes into account how many provinces you own including colonies. So if you have a lot of low population, low income colonies (therefore not contributing much to tech advance) it will slow your technological development. Highly developed one province city states will begin to lap you.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 09-04-2009 at 05:11.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Colonies are a complete waste before the 16th century. Until then, they just reduce your income and your teching (as Overknight explained, the more land provinces you own, the more expensive teching is. Since colonies won't grant any income for a while, they just slow down your whole country).

I've found the whole colonisation part of the game to be kind of a letdown, but heh. Once you get a decent economy, nothing prevent you from taking over the whole unexplored world (as the AI is kind of slow to colonise), and the native are easily conquered and annexed.
    Last edited by Meneldil; 09-04-2009 at 09:05.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I'm slightly confused by merchants, does it matter which trading centre you send them to? Closer means less chance of losing the merchant but lower rewards, further higher chance merchant won't get there but higher profits? What benefits does a monopoly give?
    The best way to view trade centres and decide where to send your merchants is on the trade ledger. this allows you to see all the trade centres you know about, where your merchants are, how much the trade centres are worth and what chances you have of placing a(nother) merchant in each trade centre (as well as more info).

To view this, you can either:
    -cycle through the data views of the ledger (graph icon on tab at bottom right of map view, below "menu")
    -view a given centre of trade (e.g. liguria), then click on the "book" icon to the right of the table showing the merchants active there.

Ihe trade ledger is also the easiest screen to choose how&where to "auto-send" your merchants, there are 3 levels of priority grading which youc an assign to each COT.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Spurred on by jealousy of the Spanish, I have over-colonized, and now the upkeep is killing me. Two loans and rampant inflation later, I'm kinda wondering how I messed up so badly. Tip to other newbies like me: Don't colonize like a madman. Brazil can wait.
    Ouch! The most important provinces to colonise first are the Atlantic island provinces (Azores, Madeira, Canarias, Cape verde, Bermuda, Greeenland). These (once Cores) will project your colonial reach as far as, if not beyond the carribean, Brazil and Canada. Colonisation in IN happens in successive waves, as your colonial range increases or jumps beyond your new cores.

Africa, if colonised early can be a bit of a waste of resources (except for its gold mines). If you really want it for more than naval bases, its far easier to conquer Mali, Bennin or some other African state.

Now I'm trying to shepherd England from Papism to Proddy enlightenment. Every time I've given it a go, things explode and go bang. First time I tried it Wales seceded. Next time I lost Scotland. There must be a better way.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Now I'm trying to shepherd England from Papism to Proddy enlightenment. Every time I've given it a go, things explode and go bang. First time I tried it Wales seceded. Next time I lost Scotland. There must be a better way.
    Perhaps you're going too fast? Try to spread it out over a few decades (heck, even a few centuries!) to lessen the cultural shock. EUIII lasts until (with expansions) 1821, there's no rush!

Course - I've never played England. I'm a fan of the Eastern European factions myself.
    Last edited by Monk; 09-08-2009 at 02:57.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Then stay true to the Mother Church, heretic!

Seriously, that's what I've always done and it's worked out. So I can't offer much guidance besides seconding Monk's 'spread it out' advice.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Here's a mechanics question: Whilst I am a good Catholic ruler, Protestant heresy spreads every few years in my provinces. But once I convert, it seems to stop. Is this accurate? Does the spread of Protestant ideology stop once you convert to it?

Urwendur Ûrîbêl Senior Member Mouzafphaerre's Avatar

Indeed not but it's no more heresy, therefore you needn't take any measures against it.
    Ja mata Tosa Inu-sama, Hore Tore, Adrian II, Sigurd, Fragony

Mouzafphaerre is known elsewhere as Urwendil/Urwendur/Kibilturg...

I'm actually just getting to this stage myself, with my Swiss empire.

I control all Lombard provinces in northern italy, and the german ones up to Wurzburg, as well as half of Austria.

Protestantism has spread accross Lombardy and Switzerland, but I'm also getting reformism spreading from the north in to my ex Bavarian provinces. I'm thinking to go Protestant, despite the reformist bonus to trade, as I face a lot of BB forming Germany.

What should be the tipping point to launch the "convert to (...)"? Once over half my provinces become Protestant?

Choson jumped the Ming bandwagon of attacking Nippon. They paid dearly:

Too bad they had a navy or two hiding in the Ming ports, I suppose, because I couldn't annex them.

Oh my! It's Communist Japan with South Korea against Capitalist North Korea! :o
    BLARGH!

Whilst spreading the proletariat dictatorship merrily in Asia

Manchu and Qirat hordes attacked, to meet their doom,

When striketh the Sengoku Jidai...

Triumphant abroad, crumbled at home.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-09-2009 at 16:58.

I've never actually played Japan in EUIII, is the SJ period any fun? How is it resolved?

Talking Re: Europa Universalis III

We'll wait and see, I guess.

The continental dominions are solidifying steadily. Manchu culture has been embraced, but weirdly enough not Korean; it had been conquered much earlier. As stability decreases revolts are inevitable but a couple armies or three under competent generals are enough to quench them.

On the islands there's virtually nothing left but Kyoto. It would be interesting to play the petty Daimyos against one another and see what comes out. Tomorrow I'll be busy with school stuff but on Friday a long session awaits me.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

i just downloaded the EU3 demo. looks good, think ill shell out the money to get it.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'd advise you to buy EU3: Complete then. From what its said, its much better experience then EU3, vanilla.
    BLARGH!

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'll second that; definitely get the complete version.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Quote Originally Posted by Mouzafphaerre View Post
    We'll wait and see, I guess.

The continental dominions are solidifying steadily. Manchu culture has been embraced, but weirdly enough not Korean; it had been conquered much earlier. As stability decreases revolts are inevitable but a couple armies or three under competent generals are enough to quench them.

On the islands there's virtually nothing left but Kyoto. It would be interesting to play the petty Daimyos against one another and see what comes out. Tomorrow I'll be busy with school stuff but on Friday a long session awaits me.
    I'd be very interested in whatever comes of this. A long session maybe, but I'll imagine a fun one.

The continental dominions are solidifying steadily. Manchu culture has been embraced, but weirdly enough not Korean; it had been conquered much earlier.
    I'm guessing Korean culture hasn't been accepted because it doesn't contribute 10% or more of your tax income. Capturing Manchu provinces (and presumably increasing your tax income) will have made it even less likely that Korean will become an accepted culture.

I'm interested in how SJ is initiated, is it an unavoidable scripted event like the reformation in europe?
    Last edited by al Roumi; 09-10-2009 at 09:43.

It is scripted, yes, but I'm not sure it's unavoidable. I literally ?$#&%! up the economy in my wars of conquest (Korea) and counter-conquest (Manchu) and often took loans deliberately, which I for the life of me avoid playing an European power. Just going naval against aggressors (Ming and Korea) and solidifying the homeland, while letting technologies upgrade, might have avoided it. Only the Magna Mundi people should know for certain.
    Last edited by Mouzafphaerre; 09-10-2009 at 11:19.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
    I'd advise you to buy EU3: Complete then. From what its said, its much better experience then EU3, vanilla.
    whats the difference between the two?
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    EU3 Complete includes two expansions: Napoleon's Ambition and In Nomine. Both of which are highly recommended. The game isn't the same without them basically (think of MTW2 and MTW2+Kingdoms).
    Last edited by al Roumi; 09-10-2009 at 15:28.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooahguy View Post
    The major changes are obviously much better A.I. and a less lot bugs and annoying situations.
    - Extended Timelines (With all new countries it brings into the game, such as the Byzantine Empire)
    - Enhanced trading system (In vanilla you'd be able to access any Trade Center as soon as you found it. Now you'd have to open up the Trade Center either through diplomacy or conquest)
    - Improved Interface
    - Many many more Gameplay Options
    - Customize your game (Free colonization, no inflation, etc.)
    - Decisions where you have to accomplish a set deal of things so you can enact the decision (Opposed to events, which fire at a given date regardless of consequences)
    - Rebels who actually fight for an objective (I proposed this when EU3 was being produced) instead of just rebelling without any cause to fight for (Now they can fight for liberation of a country, or they can rebel since their religion is being discriminated/persecuted, towards the end of the game you'll begin getting colonial rebels who want the independence of their colonies, etc)
    - Enhanced Holy Roman Empire and Papal Controller systems
    - Changes on how colonization and Naval logistics are made.

These are just the ones over the top of my head.

Of course, Paradox is producing yet another expansion which will further improve the game, thus why it might also be a wise choice to wait for it to come out and buy the whole package with the new expansion.
    BLARGH!

Thanks Jolt!

I think the complete pack will be the first game I get once the third expansion comes out (and I earn some money ).

Semi-Corruptible Member White_eyes:D's Avatar

It is scripted, yes, but I'm not sure it's unavoidable. I literally ?$#&%! up the economy in my wars of conquest (Korea) and counter-conquest (Manchu) and often took loans deliberately, which I for the life of me avoid playing an European power. Just going naval against aggressors (Ming and Korea) and solidifying the homeland, while letting technologies upgrade, might have avoided it. Only the Magna Mundi people should know for certain.
    Any tips for an up-and-coming Shogun??

I am playing one of the Feudal Lords and have just come out of a VERY large puny and epic war...

Lost most of my manpower.....my gains?? Most of Southern Japan and Puppet Shogun under control

My losses are maybe 0 Manpower for a little while...(need to reinforce my troops) and I have a nice little North vs South scenario, with the Date clan in my path (there manpower is pretty drained as well)

When war breaks out (And believe me...it will) how should I handle it?? I don't want Japan to fall apart after I went Thur so much trouble to unify it
    Last edited by White_eyes:D; 09-10-2009 at 21:02.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast