Thread: Where is my Eagle?

Default Where is my Eagle?

Just headed back into my first Roman game on RTW after completing my first BI game as the Sannaids. During my BI game I took a lot of eagles from the eastern empire and noticed that they were also in my RTW Juill campaign.

What I wanted to know was does taking or losing an eagle have the same effect as in BI?

Also, so far only the SPQR have them, what are the building conditions for getting a legion with an eagle?

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

Default Re: Where is my Eagle?

For RTW, I believe eagles are unique to First Cohorts, recruitable only in Rome.

I don't know about the effects and BI, sorry.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

During my RTW v1.0 campaign I never get First Cohort despite the fact I already occupied Rome and the entire Latinum. Is there any more event needed to trigger First Cohort avaibility?
    Salus Populi Est Suprema Lex.
    The Welfare of The People is The Ultimate Law.

I know that in BI Eagles can be built in any city that has the required building level.

Has anyone got any eagle stories from RTW?

Only taking one.

The general got 'Eagle Taker' trait which is quite nice, and the eagle got shipped off to a city. Having also taken one in BI, pretty m,uch the same thing happens although I don't know if the trait effects are exactly the same.

I would have liked to have seen that city then become the focus of a Roman onslaught to regain the eagle, but I don't think that's built into the code.

I've only played one Roman campaign (vanilla) and never got a first cohort.

I stole it from a stupid Iceni Member Shieldmaiden's Avatar

I'm using RTW 1.5, and I've been able to recruit First Cohorts from Rome in both my Roman Campaigns.

Anybody like to check export_desc_ buildings.txt in earlier versions to check the conditions?

In 1.5:

Army Barracks or above:

recruit "roman legionary first cohort i" 0 requires factions { roman, } and hidden_resource rome and marian_reforms
    Last edited by Shieldmaiden; 05-30-2007 at 15:36.
    "Now, once more I must ride with my knights, to defend what was and the dream of what could be..."

- King Arthur, Excalibur

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

Yup, you need Rome to be able to train First Cohorts.

However occasionally you get them for completing senate missions. I believe there are also senate missions for recovering lost eagles.

Honorary Argentinian Senior Member Gyroball Champion, Karts Champion Caius's Avatar

However occasionally you get them for completing senate missions. I believe there are also senate missions for recovering lost eagles.
    I had one mission.

I didnt understand what to do.What does an eagle?

Names, secret names
    But never in my favour
    But when all is said and done
    It's you I love

Last night I got an Eagle and wish that I hadn't.

In XGM, I had a town that I had taken from Thrace. Rome was neutral, and I was about to knock out Thrace and the last of the Greek Cities to win.

Rome decided to attack the town using three First Cohorts with silver armour and two Pretorian Cohorts and one of gladiators.

Not having any "strong" infantry, and cavalry with only bronze armour, I decided to whittle them down with slingers and archers of which I had four almost full units.

First Sally, I cut down each of the First Cohorts by about a third, as well as most of the gladiators.

Second Sally, they had merged the 3 First Cohorts to two full ones and the third only had seven men. I killed off the last of the gladiators, and noticed that the last two of the 7 in that one weak cohort were off chasing my cavalry who were close by on their flank. Why not? I sent one group of cavalry to cut them down and they did. I also let my archers and slingers loose on the two remaining First Cohorts.

The rest ran away.

Tile comes up, "An Eagle of Rome." Problem is, it's in that tiny town, wooden wall, not really strong force to defend it, and I know that Rome will sacrifice a dozen First Cohorts to take back one eagle, and I see them coming, one turn away. Is it really worth it to keep sending men from other cities to reinforce the town? There are not enough to sustain it indefinitely. The barracks cannot train strong infantry, and I even have to move archers from other towns, two turns away.

I'm considering evacuating my military from the town, and destroying all the buildings that I can. Rome will get a hollow victory, but I won't have to spend 40 minutes every turn bombarding them with arrows and lead shot. I dare not autoresolve.

If I evacuate my military to another stronger position, will the eagle follow them, or will the Romans get it back when they move into a sacked town? I see a lot of bloodshed about to happen over some town with a small wooden palistade. I don't think that the town is worth it, and I can probably have spies and assassins destroy buildings as they build them and cause rioting.

Any suggestions?

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

XGM is way tougher -- and more enjoyable -- than vanilla.

Yes, its coded that Rome will work very hard to retake an Eagle.

If you want, just leave one unit in the town (build a peasant) and make them take it -- otherwise your plan to raze and withdraw is tactically sound. Take them later on your own terms.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

So is it built into the game that they will try to retake eagles at all cost, or just in that particular mod?

I haven't noticed it in RTW or BI, but it's a brilliant idea.

Yes it is built into both games.

In my BI game as the sannaids (sp?) I had a General who was known as 'the eagle taker' (he had taken five). After the first one the eastern romans sent waves of troops towards the city that had the eagle.

However the only route was a narrow river crossing, which my general defended time and time again. So the eagles started to build up and the romans became so obsessed that I started to drain their resources.

Its been about 3 or 4 turns.

The Romans have sent two armies to take the town. I've driven them off by sending out slingers and archers, whittleing them down, and sallying again.

Population has already gone up to about 5,500, so I may be able to upgrade the town soon.

I've been bringing in other forces to backfill the army there.

The Romans have lost several more eagles, but unfortunately, I have only now gotten a general into the city, but he isn't an "eagle taker" .....yet.

Last turn I played last night, it was besieged again. I sent out four maniples of slingers and deployed them in a "U" shaped formation facing and flanking the enemy. Then I started marching my infantry out. I couldn't believe it. "Head for the Hills!" "Flee!" and away they went. One group of slingers send one volley and didn't hit anything. The battle ended with 0 casualties on both sides.

3 maniples of archers should arrive next turn. As long as the Romans attack with infantry only, even heavy infantry, my missile troops are "holding" them off. Once I get it up to a stone wall, they won't get in.

But they haven't quit trying.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

It has been 3 more days, and Aemona has upgraded. There is now a stone wall, and a city barracks is in the construction que.

Those three maniples of archers, combined with the four maniples of slingers have made the fields around it a Roman Graveyard, and the museum is bulging with eagles.

In the past day, I've also taken both Tarentum and Croton from Rome, and they are still sending full stacks with 4 -6 First Cohorts. What is really the pits is that in one battle, I may destroy 4 maniples of First Cohorts, but only "take" one eagle. Where did the other 3 go to? there certainly wasn't anybody around to pick them up and run home with them.

Anyway, I have 4 cities in Macedon with 3 or more eagles, and I also have one in Croton which I took when I took the city. But as before, they had three First Cohorts which I killed to the last man, and only got one eagle.

I'm tempted to go ahead and take Rome which will probably prevent them sending any more First Cohorts at me, but that will change it to a "Long" campaign. Considering it's about 148 BC, and I have 33 territories, I'd might as well.

The reason it's going so long is that I have to outlast Thrace and Greek Cities. The GC is down to one place, but I am afraid that if I destroy them, another faction such as the Selucids will win. Every time I take a city from Thrace, they take two more from the Rebels further North.

I'll give another update in a few days.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Post Re: Where is my Eagle?

Hi Celt Centurion,
    Quote Originally Posted by Celt Centurion
    I may destroy 4 maniples of First Cohorts, but only "take" one eagle. Where did the other 3 go to?
    Sadly it's a nasty bug in R:TW - the player, most unfortunately, is strictly limited to taking (or losing) one golden and glorious eagle per battle. Unfortunately, I'm not too sure about the AI factions though - the bug may not be applicable to them since they do not receive notifications. Sorry I cannot be sure, good luck with the conquest of Roma, cheers!
    Last edited by Omanes Alexandrapolites; 06-05-2007 at 07:42.
    Dawn is nature's way of telling you to go back to bed

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

slightly off topic:

Once in RTR I have 2 units of Roman Cav that got cought by a Carthiginian FS, and I lost an eagle as a result, I thought it was a bit cheap.

On topic, I've yet to see an eagle taker general in one of my campaigns, but always wanted to.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuperman
    slightly off topic:

Once in RTR I have 2 units of Roman Cav that got cought by a Carthiginian FS, and I lost an eagle as a result, I thought it was a bit cheap.

On topic, I've yet to see an eagle taker general in one of my campaigns, but always wanted to.
    I have never had the misfortune of losing an eagle.

It's really bad when you don't even have an eagle (just 2 Roman Cavalry) and lose an eagle in the process. Didn't even know that could happen.

Strength and Honor

Celt Centurion

Maybe that is a slight mistake in RTR unless with the cav you had a legion with an eagle? Did you ever get it back?

We have heard about eagle takers but has anyone lost one when playing the romans? How does this change the game? Does the Senate insist you get it back and assign missions etc?

Has anyone played out this and won back their eagle?
    Last edited by Third spearman from the left; 06-11-2007 at 13:23.

Quote Originally Posted by Caius Flaminius
    What does an eagle?
    An eagle gives a morale bonus to surrounding troops just like the general. If the First Cohort holding the eagle gets destroyed, then the faction who destroyed that cohort will get the eagle and then Rome will come after it etc. etc...

Self proclaimed loser of 'User Who Looks Most Like His Avatar' competition.

As I recall, you get the 'retake your eagle within ten turns or incur the senate's rath' message, but when that happened to me I was ready to take Rome anyway.
    Hegemonia Lead Modeller.

Fredericus Erlach Member Stuperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Third spearman from the left
    Maybe that i a slight mistake in RTR unless with the cav you had a legion with an eagle? Did you ever get it back?
    I thought it wierd too, there was only the 2 units of Cav, no legions (it was pre-marius too)

I got it back, and took out acrthage in the process.
    Fredericus Erlach, Overseer of Genoa, Count of Ajaccio in exile, 4th elector of Bavaria.

Yeah sounds like a bug...another to the list it seems.

What screen screen messages did you get when you took it back?

A question on an old thread, but I did not want to start a new one. Is there any way to see which town has the Eagle in it? I defeated a Roman army and captured their eagle, but got attacked in the same turn and did not have time to fight that battle, so I saved the campaign and exited. When I returned and fought that battle, I did not get the message about capturing the eagle, having to return to the campaign and fight another battle before the turn ended has the effect of not giving me the complete list of normal end of turn cards such as the construction report and other cards, including the Eagle Taker. My guess is it is Tarentum, because Rome is attacking it incessantly, bypassing Capua and ignoring Croton as well.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

My guess is it is Tarentum, because Rome is attacking it incessantly, bypassing Capua and ignoring Croton as well.
    That would be a good indication, I think.....
    High Plains Drifter

It seems like most people say it adds morale to troops, but for me, Eagle Taker adds one command. I guess the others are on EB or some other mod, unless I was misreading their posts, maybe I was confusing effect of having an eagle vs taking one and did not pay enough attention to see what they were talking about.

Yeah, Julii are leaving Capua alone. They are coming after Rome heavily as well, but they always do anyway. I guess it could be there. No, I took it from a Senate army when taking over Rome, so when I defeated them, Rome was not yet mine, though I conquered it in the aftermath of that battle. It very likely is in Tarentum.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 03-15-2017 at 19:20.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare