Thread: Movies/Documentaries abt Rome

Question Movies/Documentaries abt Rome

Could anyone recommend any historically-accurate movies or documentaries about Rome, especially the early Republic?

Nascent Veteran Member Tiberius of the Drake's Avatar

Default Re: Movies/Documentaries abt Rome

I know a while back the military history channel (in the US) did a series called the rise and fall of the Romans(or somethin along those lines) it was quite good and very accurate. I have no idea where you would be able to find it though. gl findin somethin thats not a documentary, most movies are more about effect and not accuracy. The Rome series did a decent job at it but it could be a bit racy for some people.
    "Something can be done, by careful analysis, to sort out truth from propaganda and legend. But this is where the real difficulties begin, since each student inevitably selects, constitutes criteria, according to his own unconscious assumptions, social, ethical or political. Moral conditioning, in the widest sense, plays a far greater part in the matter than most people- especially the historians themselves-ever realize."
    -Peter Green

Stupid basic cable.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

the original Spartacus has a pretty cool representation of the quincux and deploying legion in triplex acies.

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Even though it isn't accurate I think the Fall of Rome has fully armored cataphracts .

Join the Army: A Pontic AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=96984
    ...uh coptic mother****er:A Makuria Comedy AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...93#post1814493

I loved the highly polished shields there. They reflected the sun like mirrors, adding an epic effect to the scene because you knew when the Romans were turning. Shame they wore leather segmented armor though. Kind of ruined it for me. It also annoyed me that they didn't open their ranks to let the flaming logs come through.

Beautiful battle other than those flaws though.
    It would be a violation of my code as a gentleman to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed person.-Veeblefester
    Ego is the anesthetic for the pain of stupidity.-me
    It is better to keep your mouth shut and be thought of as a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.-Sir Winston Churchill
    ΔΟΣ ΜΟΙ ΠΑ ΣΤΩ ΚΑΙ ΤΑΝ ΓΑΝ ΚΙΝΑΣΩ--Give me a place to stand and I will move the earth.-Archimedes on his work with levers
    Click here for my Phalanx/Aquilifer mod

EB II Romani Consul Suffectus Member Zaknafien's Avatar
    Somewhere inside the Military-Industrial Complex

here you can watch if you've not seen it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtfIcX28z8

"urbani, seruate uxores: moechum caluom adducimus. / aurum in Gallia effutuisti, hic sumpsisti mutuum." --Suetonius, Life of Caesar

Megas Alexandros's heir Member Spoofa's Avatar

haha, oh wow that was cool, the burning log part though... they had like the same guy jumping over the log for every time they showed a log hit the legion, lol that cracked me up.